Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I intentionally stopped reading the thread when he died. Somehow I felt that if I didn't see people discussing it on the Internet, it wasn't real.

Now I'm sad again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap the end of look to windward is satisfying

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xian posted:

Holy crap the end of look to windward is satisfying

The climax, the afterword, or the retribution?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Basically everything from when Ziller gets into the argument with Tersono about field colors, and subsequently thrown into the river by that beast he's trying to ride (can't remember the name, don't have the book in front of me) and on. Climax, Afterword, Retribution, Epilogue all came together quite nicely.

xian fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 30, 2014

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I picked up Elite: Dangerous a few days ago and while flying I found a name that looked familiar:

Might be time to start reading the series again as I haven't done in quite a while!

Happy new year too thread!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's so cool. Someone needs to make a culture game already.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

xian posted:

That's so cool. Someone needs to make a culture game already.

Press X to drugorgy.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
LSV Once More 'Round the Sun

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Otisburg posted:

Press X to drugorgy.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

maybe I should say: a special circumstances game. But they loved their drug orgies too.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

But do you play as an agent of Special Circumstances or as a weapon?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

pseudorandom name posted:

You play as a magical talking sword trying to convince some kid to pull you out of a rock and overthrow the oppressive and tyrannical king in favor of a more progressive form of government.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't really see how a Culture game would work unless it was maybe an adventure game.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MikeJF posted:

I can't really see how a Culture game would work unless it was maybe an adventure game.

I'd play the hell out of that.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Culture: A Telltale Games Series.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

John Charity Spring posted:

Livueta will remember this

Elethiomel won't

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

John Charity Spring posted:

Uuuuuuuh Oh God yes.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

Elethiomel won't

Holy shiiit

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

General Battuta posted:

Elethiomel won't

Slow clap

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I decided to do my first re-read of the whole Culture series since Iain died. I'm halfway through Excession now (one of my favorites). God, I love Mind-chat. We miss you, Sun-Earther Iain El-Bonko Banks of North Queensferry. :(

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 5, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

General Battuta posted:

Elethiomel won't

Oh my god.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pseudorandom name posted:

What's the difference?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Phanatic posted:

What's the difference?

Weapons are more reliable.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Weapons are more reliable.

Because they lack autonomy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Culture ship name: ROU The One Who Knocks

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
GOU The One Who Doesn't Knock

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
(D)ROU John Wick

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

rejutka posted:

(D)ROU John Wick

Heh. That was a suprisingly good movie.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Have a long drive with my mom coming up next week. She listens to audiobooks and not music. Which culture novel should I find on audible to introduce MY MOM to the culture? I'm thinking look to windward on account of all the cool nature stuff and the fact that's it's the least rapey that I can think of. Maybe excession but I could see that being really off the deep end to start with. Use of weapons? Consider phlebas?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Is she in to sci-fi? If not, it might end up being pretty uncomfortable - like "xian, what the hell are they talking about?" I gave Dune to a girlfriend to read and she lost interest really quickly, even though she was a regular reader (of non sci-fi). Not trying to be sexist or anything, I wouldn't try to get my dad to read any of the Culture books either, since his taste just isn't there. It's really easy to forget how much common knowledge is assumed in sci fi - assumed to the point where an author can riff on an abstract concept and evolve it further, and you're still supposed to recognize it when some character spits out the in-universe slang for it.

If she is a sci-fi fan, then I'd say Player of Games, since it's straightforward and acts as an intro to the Culture universe as a whole. Excession would be too much too fast. Same with Use of Weapons.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
She's very into Sci Fi and Fantasy, I thought about Player of Games (I haven't read it in a few years), but isn't there like a chapter long passage where Gurgeh gets to see all the weird raping that the Azad do? That's not something I really want to sit through with my mom, heh.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

xian posted:

She's very into Sci Fi and Fantasy, I thought about Player of Games (I haven't read it in a few years), but isn't there like a chapter long passage where Gurgeh gets to see all the weird raping that the Azad do? That's not something I really want to sit through with my mom, heh.

Yeah, there is, and I don't blame you. It really put my girlfriend off wanting to check out any more Culture stuff, so it might not be the best introduction to the setting even if you weren't going to be there.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe Surface Detail would appeal to someone with a more religious sensibility?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 22, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe Surface Detail would appeal to someone with a more religious sensibility?

He said he wants stuff less rapey.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

xian posted:

Have a long drive with my mom coming up next week. She listens to audiobooks and not music. Which culture novel should I find on audible to introduce MY MOM to the culture? I'm thinking look to windward on account of all the cool nature stuff and the fact that's it's the least rapey that I can think of. Maybe excession but I could see that being really off the deep end to start with. Use of weapons? Consider phlebas?

Honestly I think Look to Windward suffices. It has good coverage of the setting; bits on culture life, tech, orbitals, Minds, old wars, Contact meddling, etc. The couple dozen pages of ship name banter may or may not go over well, though.

Liveware fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 22, 2015

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

FrozenDorf posted:

Honestly I think Look to Windward suffices. It has good coverage of the setting; bits on culture life, tech, orbitals, Minds, old wars, Contact meddling, etc. The couple dozen pages of ship name banter may or may not go over well, though.

You can probably just skip over that part and explain it's an in-joke for long time series readers

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

MikeJF posted:

Shame that this is also the book in which Banks pokes fun at confusing technobabble.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 22, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

:thejoke:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In case you don't read spaceflight thread you may have missed this - but Elon Musk of SpaceX named its spaceport drone ship Just Read the Instructions.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/558665265785733120

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That name lacks gravitas....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang