Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Trig Discipline posted:

Eh I guess so, but it almost seems wrong to call it by the same term (DAW) as Logic, Reaper, and the like if it's not intended to do the same stuff.
Adobe doesn't call it that afaik. It's "audio editing software".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

Eh I guess so, but it almost seems wrong to call it by the same term (DAW) as Logic, Reaper, and the like if it's not intended to do the same stuff.

well it's still fundamentally intended to do what a DAW does which is manipulate, mix, and edit digital audio.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

well it's still fundamentally intended to do what a DAW does which is manipulate, mix, and edit digital audio.

Yeah but you can do those things in a limited sense in Sound Forge as well, it's still not what I think most people mean when they say "DAW" in this day and age. Or maybe I'm trying to interpret that term more narrowly than other people, idk.

~*~ALL DAWS ARE BEAUTIFUL~*~

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah but you can do those things in a limited sense in Sound Forge as well, it's still not what I think most people mean when they say "DAW" in this day and age. Or maybe I'm trying to interpret that term more narrowly than other people, idk.

Yea its true the common meaning of DAW has evolved somewhat but its always been pretty broad, anyway who cares Audition/Cooledit is still a useful program whatever term you call it, in spite of the crap that Adobe has done and then half undone to it. I do most of my actual composing in Ableton or just on a piano but I still mix in Audition and whenever I need to do editing or cleaning of like some voiceover poo poo or whatever its great for that as well.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Trig Discipline posted:

Exactly. Burial wrote all his albums in Sound Forge.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

I've been nerding the gently caress out with Hive, writing a script which I hope will batch convert TAL U-NO-LX patches. Fun times, learning a fuckload about synths in the process.

This is interesting - aren't they quite different synths? What was the idea behind the project?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Anae posted:

This is interesting - aren't they quite different synths? What was the idea behind the project?

Hive's claim to fame is as a cpu-friendly optimized supersaw synth like what I'm told Sylenth is (tho I don't have it). However at its core are two oscillators w/ separate suboscs, two multimode filters and a modulation matrix. Turns out the Juno 6's topology fits neatly inside this configuration. Still have a good bit of work to do but so far the filters, envelopes and key tracking are good to go. Arpeggiator is gonna be a pain tho but I think Hive's built in one can pull it off.

Beyond this I should be able to use its mod matrix to morph between TAL patches, or even map separate components to the mod wheel/aftertouch/LFO/whatever. Fun times.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

Yea its true the common meaning of DAW has evolved somewhat but its always been pretty broad, anyway who cares Audition/Cooledit is still a useful program whatever term you call it, in spite of the crap that Adobe has done and then half undone to it. I do most of my actual composing in Ableton or just on a piano but I still mix in Audition and whenever I need to do editing or cleaning of like some voiceover poo poo or whatever its great for that as well.

Yo btw I haven't forgotten that I said I was going to send you some demos of my ideas on that war thing almost a year ago, but I got asked to do a soundtrack for a nature documentary and it p much ate up all of my time, and then I spent the last six months mostly traveling so I haven't recorded poo poo. I'll do it eventually, I swear. Probably.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Audition is an adjunct to Première and After Effects, and all the fiddling around under the hood is about making it work better with those guys.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Oldstench posted:

Exactly. Burial wrote all his albums in Sound Forge.
True. And honestly the more I interact with MIDI, the more I'm convinced of this approach (which I lean towards naturally anyway).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow... to write in Sound Forge is kind of :stare:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow... to write in Sound Forge is kind of :stare:

I assumed the Burial interview was just bullshit/joke. It wasn't?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

W424 posted:

Yeah I was also convinced it was full of poo poo, but I haven't read that stuff in a few years. The whole "I just move things in soundforge till it looks like a fishbone" thing was taking the piss, its obviously just quantized and heavy swing with a few manual elements over the top. I think it's similar to aphex where the majority of his material is made in a (fairly) conventional manner, and the production bullshit just adds to the myth/mystery.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Is anyone aware of a VST or some kind of plugin that will do this to a sample?

I like the idea of stretching out a short sample over the course of several minutes, ever since I heard it done in an old Radiolab episode. Is this an easy thing to do? I thought maybe it could be done in audacity but then I realized it might require something more complicated.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's almost certainly done with Paulstretch. not a plugin though, it's a standalone.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Using Paulstretch is a big no no in the 'serious drone fraternity' apparently. But it's really excellent for making nice looping samples with clean pitch. Just about anything sounds like clever synthesis.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

0dB posted:

Using Paulstretch is a big no no in the 'serious drone fraternity' apparently. But it's really excellent for making nice looping samples with clean pitch. Just about anything sounds like clever synthesis.

Holy lol "serious drone fraternity".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

W424 posted:

Holy lol "serious drone fraternity".

ahahahahahahah

Seriously, how do you make drone and ambient, are there any sweet VSTs for that kinda thing?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

LordPants posted:

ahahahahahahah

Seriously, how do you make drone and ambient, are there any sweet VSTs for that kinda thing?

Reaktor/absynth, press a key and slip something between the keys or put a brick on the keyboard. Let run for ~17 mins.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

W424 posted:

Reaktor/absynth, press a key and slip something between the keys or put a brick on the keyboard. Let run for ~17 mins.

Hahahahahahah yep.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Recognizable paulstretch is seen by some as low-effort or boring/one-trick-ponyish. :keke:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Huh, maybe that's what I used to make the aptly named 'horror.mp3'. It's been over 4 years since I did it and I can't remember how :downs: Might've been some easier tool though, I think there was a GBS thread or something.

horror.mp3
Fun fact, URL sounds like "devil" in my language!

Props if you can recognize the song.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Prickly Pete posted:

Is anyone aware of a VST or some kind of plugin that will do this to a sample?

I like the idea of stretching out a short sample over the course of several minutes, ever since I heard it done in an old Radiolab episode. Is this an easy thing to do? I thought maybe it could be done in audacity but then I realized it might require something more complicated.

Soundhack or any other phase vocoder will do the trick. Oh and if you're on mac I recommend these plugins by Michael Noriss

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Anything you run through paulstretch is immediately recognizable as such. Also there have been plenty of people who take a pop song, run it through and want to tell us all about it (or get an article written).

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I use it here and there, but not just plopping a justin bieber song in there at 800% stretch. Layered and processed with other stuff etc

Edit. There's also Akaizer that does akai style timetstretching, instant ATR/matrix scream.

W424 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 22, 2015

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

W424 posted:

I assumed it was true when I first read the interview. I mean, people have made music by cutting up tape. A digital 2-track editor is heavenly in comparison.

I did the same sort of thing in 2003 even though I had access to Acid and Ableton. It was an enjoyable exercise.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Thanks to the goons who took a look at my plugin utility. I fixed some bugs and added some little features/functionality, and the first version is now live.

It's a free tool I wrote to fix some common problems that Windows users often have with VST plugins and Native Instruments products. If you ever run into error messages like "Could not load 1 or more plug-ins," "This file was saved with a newer version," "This patch was generated by a newer version," "Could not load Plug-in," or "Plug-in failed loading" in Kontakt, Reaktor, Maschine, or Komplete Kontrol, then I wrote this program for you.

It's called UltimatePluginTool, and the current version contains three different wizards:

Locate duplicate plugins or incompatible files (like 64-bit plugins in your 32-bit directories):

Get detailed info on your installed Native Instruments products, fix issues resulting from files being moved after initial installation.

Sort the Libraries tab of Kontakt using record store-style sorting, with the ability to pin frequently-used libraries to the top of the list or hide rarely-used libraries.

Two of the wizards also give you the ability to launch a selected plugin directly in an external 32-bit or 64-bit plugin host.

The program includes full documentation and in-app tooltips to get help with on-screen controls. I'll be posting tutorials on how to use it to solve some specific problems in the coming days/weeks, and how to use it to move Native Instruments plugins and library content around without breaking Kontakt, Maschine, Komplete Kontrol, or just about any NI product that includes plugins or library content.

System requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8, 32-bit or 64-bit. 1280x800 or 1360x768 resolution. You don't need any Native Instruments products to use the duplicates finder, but the other two wizards are NI-specific. The current version supports only VST 1.x/2.x plugins.

You can read more about the program in this blog post.

Or you can go straight to the downloads page.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Native Instruments in any way. I have tested it on numerous computers and operating systems, with every NI product released since 2009 (and some earlier ones), and have also gotten some very useful feedback from beta testers. But please read the documentation before using, and use at your own risk.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Awesome, maybe this will unfuck my guitar rig & kontakt 5 update.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

crimedog posted:

I assumed it was true when I first read the interview. I mean, people have made music by cutting up tape. A digital 2-track editor is heavenly in comparison.
Same here.

Also, guys: Plogue chipspeech is finally out. I've been checking the website every few days or so, whenever I remember, and somehow I missed that it came out on the 14th. However, the intro price is still valid for now:

quote:

Available for a limited time at the introductory price of 75USD/63EUR/50GBP (regular price: 95USD/80EUR/63GBP)
http://www.plogue.com/products/chipspeech/

They also have a few bundles available on their store page if you don't already own all of their other stuff:

quote:

chipspeech and chipcrusher Combo

Get both chipspeech and chipcrusher in one shot and save 12%!
PRICE: 114$ 99.99$

Bag of chips bundle

Get chipsounds, chipspeech and chipcrusher in one shot and save 18%!
PRICE: 208$ 169.99$

Complete bundle

Get all 4 products in one shot and save 24%!
PRICE: 304$ 229.99$
http://www.plogue.com/store/

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Radiapathy posted:

Thanks to the goons who took a look at my plugin utility. I fixed some bugs and added some little features/functionality, and the first version is now live.

It's a free tool I wrote to fix some common problems that Windows users often have with VST plugins and Native Instruments products. If you ever run into error messages like "Could not load 1 or more plug-ins," "This file was saved with a newer version," "This patch was generated by a newer version," "Could not load Plug-in," or "Plug-in failed loading" in Kontakt, Reaktor, Maschine, or Komplete Kontrol, then I wrote this program for you.

It's called UltimatePluginTool, and the current version contains three different wizards:

Locate duplicate plugins or incompatible files (like 64-bit plugins in your 32-bit directories):

Get detailed info on your installed Native Instruments products, fix issues resulting from files being moved after initial installation.

Sort the Libraries tab of Kontakt using record store-style sorting, with the ability to pin frequently-used libraries to the top of the list or hide rarely-used libraries.

Two of the wizards also give you the ability to launch a selected plugin directly in an external 32-bit or 64-bit plugin host.

The program includes full documentation and in-app tooltips to get help with on-screen controls. I'll be posting tutorials on how to use it to solve some specific problems in the coming days/weeks, and how to use it to move Native Instruments plugins and library content around without breaking Kontakt, Maschine, Komplete Kontrol, or just about any NI product that includes plugins or library content.

System requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8, 32-bit or 64-bit. 1280x800 or 1360x768 resolution. You don't need any Native Instruments products to use the duplicates finder, but the other two wizards are NI-specific. The current version supports only VST 1.x/2.x plugins.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Native Instruments in any way. I have tested it on numerous computers and operating systems, with every NI product released since 2009 (and some earlier ones), and have also gotten some very useful feedback from beta testers. But please read the documentation before using, and use at your own risk.

Just what I need! Thanks dude!

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

wayfinder posted:

Recognizable paulstretch is seen by some as low-effort or boring/one-trick-ponyish. :keke:

#PAULSTRETCHGATE

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Radiapathy posted:

this is good work and cool

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Radiapathy, does that tool do anything to make newer NI stuff install on pre-Win7 machines? I'm stuck in Vista64 on old versions of Massive and such like that I can't upgrade cos the installers bomb out when they detect I'm not on Win7. Tried a few online guides that swear it's possible to unpack the installer and run them in compatability mode but nothing's worked for me.

Also, does anyone know of a delay VST that lets you plug in another external VST effect into its feedback section (so each time the delay feeds back that effect gets reapplied)? I'm torn between writing one and just taking the soldering iron to some guitar pedals.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

HauntedRobot posted:

Radiapathy, does that tool do anything to make newer NI stuff install on pre-Win7 machines? I'm stuck in Vista64 on old versions of Massive and such like that I can't upgrade cos the installers bomb out when they detect I'm not on Win7. Tried a few online guides that swear it's possible to unpack the installer and run them in compatability mode but nothing's worked for me.
While that hasn't been a design goal, I am actually working on one or two new features that could potentially assist with that, depending on exactly what NI is doing there. I'll make a note to look into what's going on with NI's installers on legacy OS.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

e: wrong thread

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I was JUST about to buy Stormdrum 3, but I have a question. It's been 9 years since I've used iLok for my personal audio stuff. I'm able to log into my iLok account, there's no way I can get by without actually buying another USB key, is there? I lost my old one, and it'd be nice if I didn't have to dish out $50 just to say 'Hey, I bought this software'. I'm doubting there's a way to just tie my (potential) Soundsonline.com purchase to my Mac.

EDIT: nm, I definitely need the key. Spelled out for me in the PLAY manual. gently caress.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 13, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good plugin that allows cross-modulation of two sound clips? There used to be a ton of different plugins for it, like Prosoniq Morph (and I think NI Vokator did it too) but the only plugins I've found that do it are multieffects processors and cost lots of moneys.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

MockingQuantum posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good plugin that allows cross-modulation of two sound clips? There used to be a ton of different plugins for it, like Prosoniq Morph (and I think NI Vokator did it too) but the only plugins I've found that do it are multieffects processors and cost lots of moneys.
morfl might work for you - windows only though.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

There's also Clone Boy which is pretty cheap and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

So the rumors have been confirmed: Apple did buy Camel Audio.

The PC user outrage on KVR is off the charts; people swearing never to support anything those developers do in the future. I'm sure the Camel guys are crying all the way to the bank.