Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sour Diesel posted:

Just wait until I finish mine. It's Brady and Belichick in the Mass Effect universe and it's going to loving rule.

Which one is Sovereign and which one is Harbinger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

The Nards Pan posted:

Over inflated.

You Mother Fucker. You Son of a Bitch.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

when the losing QB is saying ballghazi is blown out of proportion, it's time to put that poo poo to bed http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2015/01/22/andrew-luck-deflategate-controversy-blown-out-of-proportion/

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp

Kilonum posted:

when the losing QB is saying ballghazi is blown out of proportion, it's time to put that poo poo to bed http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2015/01/22/andrew-luck-deflategate-controversy-blown-out-of-proportion/

Maybe he's in on it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

This owns hard and I'm thankful for it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Which one is Sovereign and which one is Harbinger?

We've reached pick goon here.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

I don't think you can justify using rule 17, given the facts. There's basically no way you can argue that this had a major effect on the game. It's cheating, and possibly unfair, but a half of football was played with, presumably, regulation balls, and the Patriots did better in the second half.

I mean, I guess it's also possible that the same refs who didn't notice 2 psi missing in the first half just continued to use Patriots balls, but at that point, you really have to come down on the refs too.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Kilonum posted:

It should be blown out of proportion. You have the AFC champs getting caught using balls that don't fit regulation in the AFC championship game. In no other professional sport or competitive activity would the results of the match be allowed. In most things it would simply have been a forfeiture of the game. In some cases the the opponents would be asked if they want to accept the forfeit or replay the game. The few things that fans of the game can do is stop supporting the organizations involved and criticize and tarnish those complicit in the cheating. Yes, I am aware that over half the NFL players probably take PEDs and other teams may use similar tactics. Not to long ago we had baseball players giving sworn testimony infront of congressmen because of PED use. Yet, 3 days after this incident we need to move on? Cmon man. The docking of draft picks does nothing to a team who garners much of their talent from free agent acquisitions. Kill cap space and offer incentives to those who expose cheating, see how that works as a deterrent. This is assuming the NFL can and or will properly investigate and can confirm conspiracy/cheating. This is operant conditioning. Giving incentives to behaviors that you want to see repeated and negative reinforcements to behaviors that you don't want repeated. The NFL already does half of this with its fine system. The other (most effective) half isn't done.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
What happens if the NFL comes out and says "everything was fine, the ESPN leaks were false." ?

I mean, the Boston Herald report about the taping was false too, so who knows.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 22, 2015

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp

GaussianCopula posted:

What happens if the NFL comes out and says "everything was fine, the ESPN leaks were false." ?

Everyone will still hate the Patriots and Bill Belichick still won't give a poo poo and Goodell will still have a job.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wasianchickn posted:

Everyone will still hate the Patriots and Bill Belichick still won't give a poo poo and Goodell will still have a job.

Also no one in the world outside of Boston would believe the NFL's statement.

Not saying that would be a particularly big deal, just something old fans will still be complaining about in 10 years.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

pyromance posted:

I don't think you can justify using rule 17, given the facts. There's basically no way you can argue that this had a major effect on the game. It's cheating, and possibly unfair, but a half of football was played with, presumably, regulation balls, and the Patriots did better in the second half.

I mean, I guess it's also possible that the same refs who didn't notice 2 psi missing in the first half just continued to use Patriots balls, but at that point, you really have to come down on the refs too.

It had an unknown effect on the game. There is no way to know what effect it had on this specific game. You can't take a results oriented approach of 'patriots did even better with properly inflated footballs' because then the line of reasoning "they would have won anyway so it doesn't matter' falls in the category. The point isn't the result of the action's its the intended effect of the action in concordance with the rules. The tiniest thing can significantly alter the outcome of the game. Football is a game with alot of variance and they play the fewest amount of games. One field goal can alter the entire course of a season, the entire path of a career the entire legacy of an organization. This is why teams fight for the tiniest of edges in football and even basketball. Home field advantage in the NFL is an estimated 4-7% advantage. Lets say a doctored ball gives me a 5% win probability percentage. You are robbing me a game out of every 20. That's a pretty big effect.

pkay fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 22, 2015

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

The show goes on?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

You kind of also have to take into account that things like defensive adjustments that the Colts made at half time don't occur in a void. They are reactionary to events that occurred in the first half.

ComfortablyNumb
Nov 7, 2008

This is not how I am.
If the pats were using footballs that were easier to catch in the first half, why were there so many drops? Answer me that!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ComfortablyNumb posted:

If the pats were using footballs that were easier to catch in the first half, why were there so many drops? Answer me that!

It's also easier to intercept!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Good morning everybody

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I think a pretty reasonable punishment is to strip the Patriots of all past and future SB wins

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

There will be a huge bloodbath in sports media, and at the very least it'll be interesting to watch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For Uggs sake, is something going to happen today?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Latest ballsip is the Ravens tipped the Colts off on deflated balls. I think Flacco has been screwed out of Flacco time and this type of crime must be punished. Ravens must win all the superbowls.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

This is completely uncalled for.

How the gently caress you gonna pick on Vince?

Seriously mad about this. Wilfork owns. And is cool as gently caress.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Genocide Tendency posted:

...it's The Onion.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

hahaha look at this right here

GNU Order posted:

I think a pretty reasonable punishment is to strip the Patriots of all past and future SB wins

the only fair choice

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Ehud posted:

...it's The Onion.

Still not right.

:colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Still not right.

:colbert:

remember when I said the most obnoxious thing about Pats fans is their complete inability to take a joke at their expense?

Do some soul-searching dog.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Speaking of which, Pats fan coworker announced on FB today that he unfriended everyone who was making fun of the Patriots.

Also he called in sick today.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ehud posted:

Speaking of which, Pats fan coworker announced on FB today that he unfriended everyone who was making fun of the Patriots.

Jesus that must be fun to watch.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Vince Wilfork is my dad so please quit teasing.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

remember when I said the most obnoxious thing about Pats fans is their complete inability to take a joke at their expense?

Do some soul-searching dog.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Belichick presser starts at 9:30 EST.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ehud posted:

I support making fun of this person.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

redshirt posted:

That gonna be streamed anywhere? I'm in a dumb, bad place with only internet.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

redshirt posted:

"We're focused on Seattle" x a billion

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ehud posted:

Email him relentlessly. Also tape the word Ballghazi on his mouse sensor.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

redshirt posted:

He's going to say nothing obviously.

"Cooperating with the league"
"Gonna have to ask the league"

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

WugLyfe posted:

Click me!

ComfortablyNumb
Nov 7, 2008

This is not how I am.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WugLyfe posted:

why would you want to watch someone stonewall who has 14 years of practice at it?

• Locked thread