Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

OB_Juan posted:

I get the idea that Snart was never in the crime game for the money, or at least not only for the money. He seems to be about the challenge.

Yeah, Snart reminds me of The Riddler (or at least the versions of The Riddler who are not mentally ill). It's not about money or ideology, it's about boredom.

Random Stranger posted:

Super low since it won't occur unless they toss in a reference for fans. Why bother bringing it up when there's no need to use it to explain anything?

While I'm not going to complain about Space Ghost, something with Jay Garrick on the cover really would have been perfect.

Edit: Since I have two tightly interwoven points in a single post; that's a good example of the right and the wrong way to do this kind of referencing. Throwing out something that has to be explained to the audience that might not be familiar with it is the wrong way; a passing glance of something is the right way. And then there's the layers between.

It doesn't matter from a knowledgeless audience member perspective what the comic book is; it matters that Barry has it and considered it precious. From the nerds in the know perspective, it's would be cool if it was a reference to the original Barry Allen being a comic book nerd who read golden age Flash comics (seriously, that goes back to his first appearance in 1954). Two levels, works on both, and doesn't draw attention to itself. That's how you do a good bit of nerd pandering.

It's so perfect it's hard to believe they didn't do this. My guess is they want to avoid referencing DC characters as fictional within the shows universe, and Space Ghost is okay since he is still a WB property (though there acquisition of Hanna-Barbara). They did have a guy on Arrow wear a Starro t-shirt, but that is so obscure that it probably didn't count. I wouldn't be surprised if they have Jay Garrick as a character on the show at some point a few seasons from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Phenotype posted:

Chalk me up under "Not impressed with the final fight scene",
Just watched this earlier today and yeah, pretty much. There is usually a lot of suspension of disbelief during supervillain/hero fights, but there are so many reasons that fight shouldn't have gone as it did that it turned silly.

I also chuckled at Cold's line to Heatwave from earlier in the episode: "With these guns, no one will be able to stop us." Yeah, except someone with a regular gun.

Otherwise, good episode. I like that they seem to have quickly reversed Eddie's course regarding the Flash. I also look forward to more bro hangouts with Barry and the Detective at the latter's now empty house.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

I dont know posted:

Yeah, Snart reminds me of The Riddler (or at least the versions of The Riddler who are not mentally ill). It's not about money or ideology, it's about boredom.

Actually, it's about ethics in supervillainy.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I know the Flash has powers that make it impossible to do a fight in a sensible way but drat Barry you can dodge bullets you don't need to gently caress around with crossing the streams just run up and punch them in the face, they cant react that fast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Sliiiight spoiler from the newest Injustice issue, but we were having this debate a few weeks ago and I thought it was funny to see it brought up with their A-team analogues:

That must have been one hell of a pill Bats took to say he was able to hurt Superman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tsob posted:

That must have been one hell of a pill Bats took to say he was able to hurt Superman.

It's from the tie ins to the Injustice fighting game. The way they make it work so that Harley Quinn can go toe to toe with Sinestro is that Superman invents a pill that makes everyone as strong as him for reasons.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The problem with Barry being a fan of a Flash comic with Jay is that he wouldn't have been stuck coming up with a hero name.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

It's from the tie ins to the Injustice fighting game. The way they make it work so that Harley Quinn can go toe to toe with Sinestro is that Superman invents a pill that makes everyone as strong as him for reasons.

Because Joker tricked Superman into killing Lois(he was tired of always getting foiled by Batman, wanted an easier victim). And he also nuked Metropolis, causing Superman to go nuts and punch him clean through the chest killing him, and then start policing the entire world by arresting dictators and personally stopping all wars. He and The Flash debate removing every single gun and weapon from the planet, weird stuff. He eventually uses Luthor's help to create a Super pill once he realizes he will never be able to police the entire world all the time, and gives it to the army he recruits. Then the magicians come. Swamp Thing wants nothing to do with any of it. And Sinestro convinces Superman to wield a yellow ring. It's basically a kid mashing every single one of his toys together making crude explodey sound effects with his mouth and it is awesome.

JOKER, not Riddler. I am dumb.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 22, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Because Riddler tricked Superman into killing Lois(he was tired of always getting foiled by Batman, wanted an easier victim). And he also nuked Metropolis, causing Superman to go nuts and punch him clean through the chest killing him, and then start policing the entire world by arresting dictators and personally stopping all wars. He and The Flash debate removing every single gun and weapon from the planet, weird stuff. He eventually uses Luthor's help to create a Super pill once he realizes he will never be able to police the entire world all the time, and gives it to the army he recruits. Then the magicians come. Swamp Thing wants nothing to do with any of it. And Sinestro convinces Superman to wield a yellow ring. It's basically a kid mashing every single one of his toys together making crude explodey sound effects with his mouth and it is awesome.

Was the joker, not riddler. Riddler is not even in the game I think.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Was the joker, not riddler. Riddler is not even in the game I think.

:eng101: He made a cameo in the Arkham Asylum arena transition!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

I know the Flash has powers that make it impossible to do a fight in a sensible way but drat Barry you can dodge bullets you don't need to gently caress around with crossing the streams just run up and punch them in the face, they cant react that fast.

I actually don't entirely mind this since - at least at this point - Barry isn't fast enough that he is actually catching or outrunning bullets himself, he is mostly just dodging based on where people are aiming. And Cold and Heatwave's guns are beams that they just have to sweep in a general arc to hit him. With two of them, they can kind of justify it as them covering each other's blind spots, although they could've made a point of showing this. The bigger issue is that they gave absolutely no reason for the cops not to shoot them down.

The kind of disappointing thing is that these guys have tons of tricks for handling this kind of poo poo in the comics. It would've been great seeing them making a bunch of fires and ice slicks in the middle of streets to block paths of approach, icing cop car doors shut, setting fires for the cops to try and put out, and just generally creating chaos to distract the cops and stop them from getting too close.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like to imagine all that happened when Joe and Cisco were rescuing Caitlin.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually don't entirely mind this since - at least at this point - Barry isn't fast enough that he is actually catching or outrunning bullets himself, he is mostly just dodging based on where people are aiming. And Cold and Heatwave's guns are beams that they just have to sweep in a general arc to hit him. With two of them, they can kind of justify it as them covering each other's blind spots, although they could've made a point of showing this. The bigger issue is that they gave absolutely no reason for the cops not to shoot them down.

I enjoy you trying to logic this out but then you consider he's saved dozens of people in a derailed train in the span of less than two seconds, can run up and down buildings - even course correct while running up one, is fast enough to locate a bullet fired and move out of the way of it (not just avoid where people are aiming), is fast enough to dodge arcing electricity, et cetera et cetera.

Yet they could have solved this with a throwaway line or two about how the guns have a localized radius of effect a few feet from the user or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
why does everything need a reason?

It was a good old fashion showdown. If you're picking fault with the fight tactics in a comic show, you're wasting your time.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rocksicles posted:

why does everything need a reason?

the speed force did it

there everything is explained now

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
^ this guys gets it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If you are going to throw a hissy fit every time the Flash could have solved a problem easily by being faster than his opponent, you are going to dislike this show a lot.

I also have the feeling this exact discussion went down before.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
$2 says it did more than once.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
That stuff bugs the crap out of me on Arrow, but I don't mind it on The Flash. Probably because The Flash's action scenes are more about light-hearted sci-fi and Barry Allen's character growth than gritty spec-ops martial artists.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

rapeface posted:

That stuff bugs the crap out of me on Arrow, but I don't mind it on The Flash. Probably because The Flash's action scenes are more about light-hearted sci-fi and Barry Allen's character growth than gritty spec-ops martial artists.

I mostly agree with this, but it would've taken like ten seconds of rescripting to fix the problem. Here: Captain Cold and Heat Wave have deadman's switch type things linked to the bomb under Caitlyn's chair to force the cops to back off and make the Flash fight on their terms. Snap, now the fight goes down just like it did but there's an actual reason why the cops don't just snipe them or Barry doesn't knock them out before they know he's there! Also they should probabaly not be dumb enough to put the hostage explosive on a freaking timer.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, this recent ep's action plothole was probably the worst it's been.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what plothole?

He made some questionable tactical moves and had a cool fight. Yall need to build a bridge

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A bridge to an editor's office :fry:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The cheesiness was pverwhelming, I'm glad I wasn't watching the episode with anyone else. Still amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

what plothole?

He made some questionable tactical moves and had a cool fight. Yall need to build a bridge

I see you're new here but tactical realism is the number one criteria here in the TVIV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My only question from this episode is what was with Joe's hat?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I really feel like he cut his head or something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

McSpanky posted:

I mostly agree with this, but it would've taken like ten seconds of rescripting to fix the problem. Here: Captain Cold and Heat Wave have deadman's switch type things linked to the bomb under Caitlyn's chair to force the cops to back off and make the Flash fight on their terms. Snap, now the fight goes down just like it did but there's an actual reason why the cops don't just snipe them or Barry doesn't knock them out before they know he's there! Also they should probabaly not be dumb enough to put the hostage explosive on a freaking timer.

Yes, this. It felt like literally any rear end in a top hat could have written a more plausible fight scene, and I'm really surprised this version of the fight was the one they decided to go with. I don't care much about realism in my comic book shows, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that sure, Barry needs to run at X speed and hit the dude at the precise angle to beat him, whatever, it's just disappointing for the final fight scene to require so much suspension of disbelief, especially for what was such a great episode otherwise.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Aphrodite posted:

I kept seeing his character from Rent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hitting someone at superspeed will kill them. Barry's not a murderer.

Those other times he hit people at superspeed don't count.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Aphrodite posted:

Or just knock them into orbit at terminal velocity.

Flash Fact.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks for idenfiying the comic, everyone. I thought it would be strange for it to be Batman but there's a lot of superheroes who look a bit like him and I wasn't sure who it could be.

I'm glad this show is back. The break was a pain.

Also I want to see Barry run off to some jungle and bring back a venomous animal to bite his enemies. Then rush off and get the antivenom so they don't die. Just all sorts of crazy uses of his powers. If Arrow gets the boxing glove arrow, I think Flash needs some wacky things as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One gag I like is how he uses his powers for mundane things, and now his friends have caught on and are getting him to do the same thing. If I was friends with the Flash I would be the same way.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

Aphrodite posted:

Those other times he hit people at superspeed don't count.

Aside from Girder, I don't recall him hitting anyone while running. A standing punch is much easier to pull than a running punch especially for someone who is not really a fighter. If it were me I would be more focused on not getting shot (so I guess I would have lost) The cops didn't fire because they knew that the Rogues had a hostage but they didn't really have much else to go on. They needed to make sure these guys were brought in alive (I may need to rewatch the episode but I think only team Flash figured out where she was.) Then the Flash showed up and we all saw how Diggle reacted to seeing Barry. An urban legend is standing in front of them fight guys with crazy weapons. I imagine most people would be awe struck seeing a man able to run up the side of a building while guys shoot fire lasers and ice lasers at him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He went all Fists of Fury on Ollie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He went all Fists of Fury on Ollie.

Yeah and Ollie's dead (I haven't watched last night's Arrow no spoilers!)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, you just kinda have to take the show with a grain of salt. Barry can move fast enough to zip across town, pack his bags and move back in with Joe in a heartbeat, but not circle around two guys, reach over their shoulders and steal their guns before they can blink? Who cares, watch the drat show.

Needs more Wentworth Miller. God drat that man is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm just a tad disappointed in the fight because the interview linked before hand said it was a real "knock down, drag out, Superman style fight" and it really, really wasn't. Knock down, drag out, to me at least, implies a lot of back and forth trading of blows of one kind or another across quite a long time period and this fight was not that in any way, shape or form. Barry took a one unintended hit and one intended hit and the villains took one blow that took them out after a couple of minutes of trying to pin him down and that was it. It's a decent fight, that I too agree could have used some justification for why he didn't just pull the guns from their hands given that he's done the same with others in the show already and why the cops didn't just shoot them right as they turned up, but I'm mostly disappointed because I expected something different than what I got.

• Locked thread