Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I don't know. Angry Rosalee would be spending a lot of time in fuchsbau form and fuchsbau Rosalee is too adorable to be scary. Still, best friends do things together and cute fuchsbau Rosalee would likely be accompanied by hexenbiest Juliette. Hexenbiest Juliette is loving terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
That was a good episode. In typical Grimm fashion, it didn't get resolved in this episode, but at least it wasn't at the end of a season or a break, again.

What was up with the reptile-looking Captain's henchman? He certainly did nothing to help out the investigation. He didn't look like any Wesen specifically, the wiki (for whatever its worth) says he is a Skalenzahne (crocodile), but I thought he looked more green and different head. Whatever he is, I hope he shows up at the tribunal and starts doing his natural order of eating the hell out of everything in sight versus just reporting back to Renard about it.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

johntfs posted:

I don't know. Angry Rosalee would be spending a lot of time in fuchsbau form and fuchsbau Rosalee is too adorable to be scary. Still, best friends do things together and cute fuchsbau Rosalee would likely be accompanied by hexenbiest Juliette. Hexenbiest Juliette is loving terrifying.

I dunno man, those fangs look pretty nasty. And yeah, imagine how much fun vigilante Rosalee and Juliette hunting down and murdering dickhead bigoted wesen would be? The show could even throw in a few long tortured scenes of Nick agonizing over whether he's a cop first or a Grimm first about them. It'd save time, they could probably reuse some script sections from as far back as season one.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Perhaps Throat Rip can be the new Neck Snap.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mukaikubo posted:

This is kind of the same reason I am starting to hope they actually kill Monroe. I mean, they won't, and I know they won't, but... this show desperately needs something to shake up the status quo.

You don't call making Juliette inexplicably a Hexenbiest and Wu getting let in "shaking up the status quo"?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You don't call making Juliette inexplicably a Hexenbiest and Wu getting let in "shaking up the status quo"?

The first will given past history be painlessly returned to the status quo ASAP (as much as I hope it's permanent!) and the second is something they should have pulled the trigger on two years ago. I don't really think a second "normal cop who knows the score" is that huge a difference to the way it was before; Hank getting in on the secret was much more important and that was what, season 2? I've been watching the first season on TNT and... honestly, most of the episodes there wouldn't be hugely out of place now, because there haven't been much real changes. I know why- it makes it easier to syndicate- but it's still pretty disappointing. I mean, how often does anyone that isn't a one-episode punching bag die, for instance? Eric Renard, who was instantly replaced by someone who is functionally identical and didn't really leave much in the way of story impact?

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 17, 2015

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I'm really happy that we saw a reappearance of zombie Grimm. I thought the writers had forgotten about it.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Miss Nomer posted:

I'm really happy that we saw a reappearance of zombie Grimm. I thought the writers had forgotten about it.
Nick went grey for a moment when his Grimm powers were coming back to him at the junkyard earlier in the season, so they want us to remember it's still a thing. At the same time, his zombie mode was a hugely important and dangerous thing when it started happening, but they sort of just stopped worrying about it after a couple episodes instead of giving it any kind of resolution. That always seemed weird to me.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Grimms are reputedly terrifying but Nick's kind of just a brawler. I figure he's got to have a number of latent powers that just haven't been activated yet and zombie-mode's probably one of them. His super-hearing's pretty cool, too.

What's he displayed so far, anyways?

He's got:
  • Grimm Vision
  • Grimm Fitness
  • +5 vs. Wesen
  • Super Hearing
  • Zombie Mode

Am I missing anything?

Edit: Almost forgot to say holy poo poo, Rosalee

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2015

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Robot Hobo posted:

Nick went grey for a moment when his Grimm powers were coming back to him at the junkyard earlier in the season, so they want us to remember it's still a thing. At the same time, his zombie mode was a hugely important and dangerous thing when it started happening, but they sort of just stopped worrying about it after a couple episodes instead of giving it any kind of resolution. That always seemed weird to me.

I'm betting that becomes important in like the last episode---maybe in the form of making a baddie think he's dead so they'll turn their attention elsewhere and buy him time to kick some serious rear end.

AKA Astro's wishful thinking.

^^Artistic talent and whatever goes along with that (enhanced memory maybe?) It's been implied that all Grimms are able to sketch the wesen they see in order to pass the tradition on or something like that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Haha, I like the notion of impeccable handwriting and sketches as a Grimm power. Makes sense as an implication of enhanced fine motor control, too.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
That dream sequence was hilarious, it's not often I yell "loving WHAT!?" at my TV.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Just caught up. Godamnit, it's a two parter. Sure, people bitch a bunch whenever their cliffhangers get resolved within one episode, but I wanna know what happens. :(

The adolescent blutbad not being able to grow a full blutbad beard when woged was a nice touch.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
My god, that dream sequence. I really thought Rosalee was dead and I wish she were, too; imagine the irony if Nick brought Monroe back alive only to witness a far more grim nightmare.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ravane posted:

My god, that dream sequence. I really thought Rosalee was dead and I wish she were, too; imagine the irony if Nick brought Monroe back alive only to witness a far more grim nightmare.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I too thought that dream sequence was real for too long. I'm really glad they finally told Wu.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I actually laughed when Rosalee's throat got ripped out, because I realized that I'd been had and it was just a dream sequence.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Ravane posted:

The ramifications would have been horrible. Nick doesn't even know Juliet is a hexenbiest. Monroe (whose been tortured) and Nick (who hasn't slept since Monroe's been kidnapped) rushing home to reunite with Rosalee and going into that house would be some insane TV.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Martout posted:

That dream sequence was hilarious, it's not often I yell "loving WHAT!?" at my TV.

Not since the "If-Then-Else" episode of Person of Interest.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

I dunno man, those fangs look pretty nasty. And yeah, imagine how much fun vigilante Rosalee and Juliette hunting down and murdering dickhead bigoted wesen would be? The show could even throw in a few long tortured scenes of Nick agonizing over whether he's a cop first or a Grimm first about them. It'd save time, they could probably reuse some script sections from as far back as season one.

For me Rosalee isn't scary because of her fangs. She's scary because she can call up the Wesen Council and have you killed.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

johntfs posted:

For me Rosalee isn't scary because of her fangs. She's scary because she can call up the Wesen Council and have you killed.

Or poison you in god-knows-what horrible way. So far she's mainly been like a wesen pharmacist, but imagine it going the other way----a few drops of special concoction in your drink, and suddenly you're dying of face-melt.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Astrofig posted:

Or poison you in god-knows-what horrible way. So far she's mainly been like a wesen pharmacist, but imagine it going the other way----a few drops of special concoction in your drink, and suddenly you're dying of face-melt.

Breaking Blutbad?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

I actually laughed when Rosalee's throat got ripped out, because I realized that I'd been had and it was just a dream sequence.

Her getting so incredibly upset was so out of character that I just assumed it was a dream sequence before Juliet voged.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Not since the "If-Then-Else" episode of Person of Interest.

If that's the one I'm thinking of with all the (PoI S4 spoilers) alternate scenarios played out in tenths of seconds in the machines consciousness, then yeah I was the same. I only saw that last week and with it still fresh in my mind as soon as Rosalee was "dead" I knew straight away it was a fakeout since I immediately thought of Finch getting shot dead.

Had I not seen that first I would have fallen hard for this one though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

pasaluki posted:

The ramifications would have been horrible. Nick doesn't even know Juliet is a hexenbiest. Monroe (whose been tortured) and Nick (who hasn't slept since Monroe's been kidnapped) rushing home to reunite with Rosalee and going into that house would be some insane TV.

Almost feel like one of the writers going "see, this is what I'd do if I were allowed to make some actual changes to this show". It would have been pretty awesome. Monroe and Nick would suddenly have this huge split between them (Juliette). Perhaps Nick would have started grimming it up old-school style, with a crazed Wu as his main sidekick as Hank cannot hack it and tries bringing in the feds or whatnot. Oh well, I guess we'll continue with mostly status quo. I did enjoy the hell out of this episode though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 19, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I remember thinking that Rosalee was acting a little out of character, but chalked it up to her freaking out over Monroe being taken by people planning to impale him on a stake and burn him alive. Rosalee's always been a little fragile, emotionally, or at least more expressive. Juliette, meanwhile, has an emotional make up of twisted blue steel. I love her "Ah, gently caress, a I'm hexenbiest. Screw it, Rosalee needs me. I better clean this glass up and take care of her."

I really liked the dream sequence where they had Juliette turned back human and then let go of the piece of Rosalee's trachea that she had torn out.

I kind of liked the bit with the crocodile dude talking with Renard. That sort of reminds people that Renard is also Prince Renard, the secret lord of Portland and he's breaking out the big guns and training them on the Wesenrein. I kind of love the Wesenrein with their "ancient order" and shabby outfits because of how great it's going to be when they get hit by the Shithammer of God next Friday.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 19, 2015

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thing is I actually like Rosalee (and Monroe) the most out of all the characters and I'd be pretty annoyed with the show if they killed either of them off. That said, if they did but brought Trubel back permanently I could live with that exchange.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

johntfs posted:

I kind of love the Wesenrein with their "ancient order" and shabby outfits because of how great it's going to be when they get hit by the Shithammer of God next Friday.

This is why I'm a little disappointed that Trubel's gone. We never really got to see her and Nick bringing dual Grimmly wrath down upon someone and I can't think of any group we've encountered more deserving to have that happen to than the Wesenrein.

Biomute posted:

Almost feel like one of the writers going "see, this is what I'd do if I were allowed to make some actual changes to this show". It would have been pretty awesome. Monroe and Nick would suddenly have this huge split between them (Juliette). Perhaps Nick would have started grimming it up old-school style, with a crazed Wu as his main sidekick as Hank cannot hack it and tries bringing in the feds or whatnot. Oh well, I guess we'll continue with mostly status quo. I did enjoy the hell out of this episode though.

That would have been terrible, dude. Grimm, despite its name and the violence, always has Nick slowly but surely making things better for the Wessen in Portland. That kind of hard swerve towards Dark and Gritty Town would kill their viewership.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Don't get me wrong, I love those characters too. That's the reason her death would matter. The dream sequence would not have worked without that impact. I liked that they did not pull any punches with it, but having a loved character actually die in a manner with so many irrevocable implications would have been even more ballsy. I am happy to have the show continue to be procedural meets Buffy, but it does feel like a lost opportunity to take the show in a different direction.

EDIT: Perhaps it would kill the viewership, but what first made me take the show seriously and what keeps me from giving up on it are the grimdark and gory stuff that does pop up once in a while. If it was all princes, furries and fairytales all the time I don't think it would have managed to set itself apart from similar shows. I like that Nick befriends icebeavers and whatnot, but that is not nearly as interesting and endearing without wesen society being a dark and hosed up place. I think all this messing about with posh British sounding royals and annoying blonde witches have kind of defanged the series a bit, so staked corpses and trachea ripping is a pleasant return to form.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 19, 2015

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This show, X-files and Fringe have had some of the most unpleasant, gory deaths I could ever have imagined. I love it.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I recall that my initial post on another board about the Season 2 episode, "Mr Sandman" was:

quote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EYEWORMSEYEWORMSBARBEDFREAKINGEYEWORMS!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the one where Nick got his super-hearing, too.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I love the contrasts between Juliette's hexenbiest form and Adalind. It's throat-ripping monster vs. grumpy kitten.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What was inexplicable about Juliette becoming a hexenbiest? She literally turned into Adelind, nature and all, and while her appearance changed back the hexenbiest side stuck.

I also don't see it being a long term problem for her, because Nick knows how to depower hexenbiests.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Honestly, the most shocking "breaking the status quo" would be to resolve one, even tangential plot-line (council and rosalee's connection, the motherfucking keys, where are the rest of the royal families, the magical baby--sans adalind) instead we are going to keep giving the 5-9 characters we all know afflictions, cures, meetings, petty bullshit, and monster of the weeks Can't actually write to resolve a minor plot in one episode, after all. Advertisers and execs don't like that.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

What was inexplicable about Juliette becoming a hexenbiest? She literally turned into Adelind, nature and all, and while her appearance changed back the hexenbiest side stuck.

I also don't see it being a long term problem for her, because Nick knows how to depower hexenbiests.

I get the feeling Nick blood won't do the trick in terms of depowering Juliette. Figure Adalind is likely also immune since she was previously exposed to Nick's blood. I think it'll turn out that the blood of any particular Grimm only works on any one hexenbiest, like getting chicken pox and being immune to it from that point forward.

Since Juliette is a kind of semi-clone of Adalind's power, Juliette is also likely to be immune to Nick's blood.

Plus, doing it that way gives a reason for Trubel to return and I love Trubel.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am looking forward to the next generation, a Hexenbiest Grimm!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

johntfs posted:

I get the feeling Nick blood won't do the trick in terms of depowering Juliette. Figure Adalind is likely also immune since she was previously exposed to Nick's blood. I think it'll turn out that the blood of any particular Grimm only works on any one hexenbiest, like getting chicken pox and being immune to it from that point forward.

Since Juliette is a kind of semi-clone of Adalind's power, Juliette is also likely to be immune to Nick's blood.

Plus, doing it that way gives a reason for Trubel to return and I love Trubel.

So long as Nick's written smart enough to try it, it'll be OK.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Really just remove Adalind and keep Trubel, and we'll be set for life.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

ETB posted:

I'd kind of prefer it if Renard, Hank and Adalind joined Trubel in Philly leaving Nick, Juliette, Monroe, Rosalee and Wu as the core five in Portland.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

ETB posted:

Or at least give Adalind something interesting and proactive to DO. She was pretty good in the first season, but since then she's spent 95% of the show just sort of wandering around on a B-story that never really pays off.

Months of work in getting her Hexenbiest powers (whatever those are) back... or they could have just said "Oh, turns out that de-powering thing was only temporary" and moved onto something more interesting much sooner.

Her long, complicated pregnancy that took most of a season before our protagonist(s) got involved for an episode or two. Baby seemed like an important and maybe interesting thing what the main characters will have to deal wi- nope, Nick's Mom takes baby with her and leaves the show again.

That entire pregnancy, so far, has only been an excuse to have Adalind spend another season just looking for her baby and being played with by the Royals like a weak and stupid pawn instead of an actual villain herself.

I love this show, but it has a serious problem with opening plot threads and then never having them pay off, and Adalind seems to have no purpose now but to generate more of those unsatisfying threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Robot Hobo posted:

Her long, complicated pregnancy that took most of a season before our protagonist(s) got involved for an episode or two. Baby seemed like an important and maybe interesting thing what the main characters will have to deal wi- nope, Nick's Mom takes baby with her and leaves the show again.

You can make all kinds of criticisms of Adelind's plot arc, but when Grimm appears to cover one year per season (based on how many times Monroe puts his decorations out), complaining that a nine-month pregnancy takes up most of a twelve-month season is a bit much.

• Locked thread