Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

GoldStandardConure posted:

How long till she starts complaining about her suppressed free speech?

She'll claim a conspiracy and play martyr. Then cause a measles outbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Mithranderp posted:

Newman has literally no chance of winning such a case. Not only can AJ say that he was merely expressing an opinion (after all he has so loving many of them), but there's a little thing called (implied) freedom of political communication. Newman is just waving his dick around because suing for defamation is a good way to express righteous indignation, without actually having to be correct. I'm guessing he'll drop the case after the election.

Did we ever find out what happened to Joe Hockey's defamation case after he was accused of being for sale? (not much probably because he'd never win lololol)

The implied freedom of political communication relates to laws passed by parliaments, it's not a defence to civil action. There's a political and governmental defence to defamation if the statement relates to that subject and is 'reasonable'.

For a defence by opinion the statement has to be objectively recognisable as opinion as opposed to been a statement of fact, and then it still has to be in the public interest and based on something substantially true.

I haven't followed the story so don't know that Jones said so no idea how applicable that is.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anidav posted:

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/shanebazzi/view/17766755
Video showing conditions on PNG, NSFW and disturbing as gently caress.

Quoting this so it does not get lost on the last page.

We all know it is hosed up in there but this sort of thing really brings it home. :sigh:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
53 people and only 3 toilets and two showers :suicide:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

GoldStandardConure posted:

How long till she starts complaining about her suppressed free speech?

quote:

"The venue has cancelled our booking due to bullying by vested interests who do not believe in informed consent, free speech and respect for other’s rights, and who appear to support censorship of thought and science. A new venue is being sought now so please book your ticket. You will be notified of the new venue in due time. Thank You.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
18C definitely needs to go.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A five page defamation statement of claim (including the cover page and signature page, so really 3 pages) - that must be the shortest defamation claim in history. Almost as if this was filed as a threat to shut Jones up and not because there was a strong claim.

Too bad this will never go to trial - it would be very interesting to see Jones run a defence of contextual truth that Newman was a liar and see Palmer, Chris Davis et al line up to give evidence of the porkies Newman has told over the years.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

V for Vegas posted:

A five page defamation statement of claim (including the cover page and signature page, so really 3 pages) - that must be the shortest defamation claim in history. Almost as if this was filed as a threat to shut Jones up and not because there was a strong claim.

Too bad this will never go to trial - it would be very interesting to see Jones run a defence of contextual truth that Newman was a liar and see Palmer, Chris Davis et al line up to give evidence of the porkies Newman has told over the years.

Om that same note a story that run under the radar from a few days ago that Fairfax v Joe Hockey is still going and Hockey is fighting tooth and nail not to reveal documents to Fairfax relating to his activites at the North Sydney Forum. Fairfax is plainly going to be running a truth defence as well and it will be unlikely that these documents could be suppressed so expect either Hockey to quietly make this go away or Fairfax may go full Obeid on it and there will only be a smoking cigar next to the giant ash pile of spontaneous fart combustion.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...121-12utfq.html

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

53 people and only 3 toilets and two showers :suicide:

Technically the two showers function as two extra toilets.

So five toilets. That's a toilet for every ten people!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And even if the ALP wins the election, they won't dismantle it. I mean I felt guilty about it when I was in the ALP but it has so much more weight now that I'm free from the peer pressure that downplayed the intensity of our policy.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lid posted:

Om that same note a story that run under the radar from a few days ago that Fairfax v Joe Hockey is still going and Hockey is fighting tooth and nail not to reveal documents to Fairfax relating to his activites at the North Sydney Forum. Fairfax is plainly going to be running a truth defence as well and it will be unlikely that these documents could be suppressed so expect either Hockey to quietly make this go away or Fairfax may go full Obeid on it and there will only be a smoking cigar next to the giant ash pile of spontaneous fart combustion.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...121-12utfq.html

"Don't sue for defamation" must be one of the first lessons they drill into politicians. The newscycle will move on and no one will remember what was said two years later when it goes to trial - except for all the coverage of the hearing. You have to submit to an onerous discovery process which hangs out all your dirty laundry and even if you win, all you get is a couple hundred grand and a small correction on page 37.

As for 'Smokin'' Joe Hockey, his reputation is dirt now as it is - how has Fairfax trashed his credibility more than he has himself? Lunacy.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

bowmore posted:

Can't Jones just say "look, it's just like, my opinion man"

No because defamation law doesn't just deal with the literal meaning of what was said, it also deals with the imputation the statement carries.

He's hosed.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Haha, Palmer is offering to pay Jones' legal fees

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Today in The Australian: Bill Leak publishes a cartoon that is literally just "Shorten's a poofter." (Look at the letters left un-underlined)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've posted this sentence many times before.

Bill Leak is a motherfucker.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Double post but here is the livestream of tonight's leaders debate:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...5-1227193014871

:siren:WARNING COURIER MAIL/NEWS LTD/SKY NEWS:siren:

It will start in one hour.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

Double post but here is the livestream of tonight's leaders debate:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...5-1227193014871

:siren:WARNING COURIER MAIL/NEWS LTD/SKY NEWS:siren:

It will start in one hour.

May I suggest Bye Murdoch as an easy way to keep your blood pressure down.

ninja edit: Mozilla equivalent

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't see an alternative stream. Is there one?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im anti abortion

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010
Just listened to a Radio National Breakfast interview with Alan Jones. Not only was he on the ABC, he sounded really sensible and made very valid points against the Newman government. It's the latest podcast up on iTunes, and tempted me to listen to his Brisbane shows in a morbid fascination sort of way.

Am I crazy (aside from the fact I'm a homo who moved to Utah of course)?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Haha, Newman tripping balls over Civil Unions.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Haha, Newman tripping balls over Civil Unions.

You mean the thing that the previous goverment wasted time on because it was not a 'priority", so much not a priority that it was one of the first things the Newman goverment spent time and resources repealling. By his own logic they should have just left it alone and not touched and waste precious time in parliament.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He was like "I support it but we need to debate it so therefore I won't revive them"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

CheGayvara posted:

Just listened to a Radio National Breakfast interview with Alan Jones. Not only was he on the ABC, he sounded really sensible and made very valid points against the Newman government. It's the latest podcast up on iTunes, and tempted me to listen to his Brisbane shows in a morbid fascination sort of way.

Am I crazy (aside from the fact I'm a homo who moved to Utah of course)?

Yes, you're crazy. This is broken clock syndrome - 99% of the time he's an apoplectic conservative spouting drivel and talking points and raving like a madman.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

He was like "I support it but we need to debate it so therefore I won't revive them"

This is what I don't understand, what is there to debate? How is this still such a major issue?

He doesn't support it at all, we know this because he "wasted" time and resources repealling civil unions in QLD. It's simply hot air.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Premier comparing the leasing of assets to the leasing of Hong Kong :psyboom:

CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010
'Alaska is now a state of America'

You could see on his face he knew that was a stupid thing to say. Was that improvised or are his advisors idiots?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Anidav posted:

The Premier comparing the leasing of assets to the leasing of Hong Kong :psyboom:

Nah mate, decolonisation is just like a household budget.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

Queensland gearing up for its own century of humiliation.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

See guys, China got Hong Kong back without any issues!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

The gently caress?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How can you tell this isn't an LNP political strategy meeting?

There's too many women

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Campbell sure is trying his best to deflect Health questions to Springborg.

EDIT: I feel like Campbell is debating the moderator more than the opponent.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 23, 2015

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Haha, Palmer is offering to pay Jones' legal fees

#JeSuisAlan

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

:siren:Campbell Newman just asked that if Labor is accepting donations from unions who are receiving funds from Bikie Gangs.:siren:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

:siren:Campbell Newman just asked that if Labor is accepting donations from unions who are receiving funds from Bikie Gangs.:siren:

Bikie gangs who are welfare bludging asylum seekers. I'm pretty sure he meant.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He said the CFMEU is accepting donations from Bikie Gangs. What a load of bullshit.

CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010
I was literally the first person to vote Annastacia Palaszczuk as the better performer on the Courier Mail's lovely poll under the stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

One day...

• Locked thread