Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm kind of annoyed that I'm going to have to buy a second copy of the game, but at least all of the dlc and the patch will be good to go for the ps4.

That and the multiplayer will be fixed (sort of), which I enjoyed most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

nah its good and very tough but its not better designed than ds1 areas like painted world or oolacile

I didn't really care for painted world that much? I mean it was really cool how different it was, but... eh? I liked lots of parts of DS1 better. Hell, I liked blighttown better. :shrug:

But no, I agree with you there, DS1's DLC is the best in the souls' series.

DS1 DLC > DS2 DLC > DS1 > DS2

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that I'm going to have to buy a second copy of the game, but at least all of the dlc and the patch will be good to go for the ps4.

That and the multiplayer will be fixed (sort of), which I enjoyed most.

I'm super jazzed for the changes, mostly because of multi. They could do more, but they're at least doing a lot of things that we really need.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

painted world is the best level in any of the games. you use the same bonfire and explore the same environment in several different and surprising ways.

the unique enemies were great

the boss was a character that you had a choice to fight or not

the only lame part was the reuse of the zombie dragon barf factory.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't really care about the custom ones but there's almost certainly going to be a regular Bloodborne+PS4 bundle right?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zaphod42 posted:

I didn't really care for painted world that much? I mean it was really cool how different it was, but... eh? I liked lots of parts of DS1 better. Hell, I liked blighttown better. :shrug:

I'm super jazzed for the changes, mostly because of multi. They could do more, but they're at least doing a lot of things that we really need.

Painted World felt like it was leftover from Demon's Souls. Totally isolated from the rest of Lordran, shortcuts that let you skip large parts of the level, and an innocent boss that talks to you before you kill her. I like it a lot, especially as a PVP playground.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EC posted:

Painted World felt like it was leftover from Demon's Souls. Totally isolated from the rest of Lordran, shortcuts that let you skip large parts of the level, and an innocent boss that talks to you before you kill her. I like it a lot, especially as a PVP playground.

That makes sense since it was the first level they designed, IIRC.

Real hurthling! posted:

painted world is the best level in any of the games. you use the same bonfire and explore the same environment in several different and surprising ways.

The actual boss fight was pretty garbage tho.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

Don't forget the basement full of bonewheels.

And I'm not sure if phalanx are really 'great', also a holdover from DeS. Not bad, but not great. Same with the ornifex crowpeople.

And the boss wasn't really anything other than a gimmick, I think I beat her on my 2nd attempt having gone in totally blind. I love me a good boss fight.

Its definitely a cool zone though don't get me wrong. I liked going in through a painting, being stranded, the cold, the different paths through it, and the single bonfire.
Way better than some (Tomb of Giants, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, etc.)

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget the basement full of bonewheels.

And I'm not sure if phalanx are really 'great', also a holdover from DeS. Not bad, but not great. Same with the ornifex crowpeople.

And the boss wasn't really anything other than a gimmick, I think I beat her on my 2nd attempt having gone in totally blind. I love me a good boss fight.

Its definitely a cool zone though don't get me wrong. I liked going in through a painting, being stranded, the cold, the different paths through it, and the single bonfire.
Way better than some (Tomb of Giants, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, etc.)

I liked pretty much all those areas except Lost Izalith. Lost Izalith can gently caress itself. A lovely, tedious area with lovely, tedious enemies with a lovely, tedious boss. And bad art design in a game with great art design that makes it all the worse. Bah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NESguerilla posted:

I hope publishers realize they need to sweeten the deal more if they are going to try to get me to re buy a game I just bought a year ago.

Are you ignorant of all the re-releases that literally add basically nothing besides up-rezed graphics and it still sells a poo poo ton? Because the market has proved people will buy the exact same poo poo again as long as it's 1080p.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The art design is like the one part of Izalith I like. It's basically Angkor Wat if a volcanic lava flow swept right through the middle of it. It's the only place among the four lordvessel areas defined by light and heat instead of cold or darkness (Crystal Caves, Tomb of Giants, New Londo Ruins) and the glow of the lava combined with the vines wrapped around and through everything give it a sense of what a bigger nerd than me called "terrible fecundity", like this place is alive and throbbing instead of sterile or dead.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I hate the boss, but I really do love Lost Izalith. The weird Dino asses, those bizarre statue and demon enemies, the orange glow. The way you can see it from the Tomb of the Giants. And I've only ever played it pre patch where you actually had to fight most of the leaping dragons.

Then again, I always seem to love the lava levels in games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Izalith needed a better sense of exploration and a more interesting mainstay enemy than the statues.

its funny that the level that is the most linear and full of the most trash enemies is the one most hated by dark souls 2 fans :allears:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Makes me wonder what Bloodborne's DLC will be like.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I hope that giant monster thing in the BB demo is indicative that it will have more enemies along the lines of the Izalith octodemons, the Latria swamp man-centipedes, and the gaping dragon. The depths of these games ought to have disturbing eldritch enemies instead of hollows and knight armors and humanoids.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

BreakAtmo posted:

Makes me wonder what Bloodborne's DLC will be like.

Modern complements of guns

AWPs

M16s

DEAGLES

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NotAnArtist posted:

Modern complements of guns

AWPs

M16s

DEAGLES

they should just give you a solid snake skin and let you sneak up and place claymore mines behind bosses.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Izalith needed a better sense of exploration and a more interesting mainstay enemy than the statues.

its funny that the level that is the most linear and full of the most trash enemies is the one most hated by dark souls 2 fans :allears:

Since very few of Dark Souls ii's levels are like that I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when did your av change?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

when did your av change?

Several months ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The art design is like the one part of Izalith I like. It's basically Angkor Wat if a volcanic lava flow swept right through the middle of it. It's the only place among the four lordvessel areas defined by light and heat instead of cold or darkness (Crystal Caves, Tomb of Giants, New Londo Ruins) and the glow of the lava combined with the vines wrapped around and through everything give it a sense of what a bigger nerd than me called "terrible fecundity", like this place is alive and throbbing instead of sterile or dead.

I agree entirely, I think the Cambodian Temple design is super cool and different, just the kinda dungeon/tomb variety DS should have, and throwing lava into the mix is just loving cool. I mean the floor is literally lava!

Those dino guys can suck a dick, but I don't remember having much trouble with them. Got through it once and never looked back.

Bed of Chaos is universally loathed.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Whenever I look up videos of first-timers playing through Lost Izalith after all the patches came out, they seem to have an okay time - they find the bonfire, they use the telescope to figure out where to go, they usually only have to fight one dragonbutt or so. They don't often make any vocal observation that the area is worse than the others in the game.

It's definitely my least favorite area in DkS (although I do agree with the art direction stuff above), but y'know. Food for thought.

Bed of Chaos is another story of course

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Painted World is the best part of any video game ever because I can hide behind the bridge spawn point and wait for invaders and gank 'em.

oh yeah and art and level design and stuff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Zaphod42 posted:

nah DS2s DLC is better than 1s. its some of the best souls ever made

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Painted World really does feel like the very best of Demon's Souls, right down to the unique boss with an awesome concept which is rather dull to fight in practice. Priscilla is a bit more of a hassle than I'd like, but other than that, it's pretty much the perfect Souls level.

...but the Crown of the Sunken King area in DS2 is better.

Sorry, folks. It's got giant temples with tons of nasty traps, unique ghost enemies that turned corridors into wacky chase scenes with spike floors, an incredible NPC invader, an area that shows how to do the dragon butts from Izalith but FUN, a giant moving cliffside peppered with archers, secret passages and hidden switches, and TWO very well designed boss fights (although Sinh could do with a little less air time). It's the trap-filled adventure temple I always wanted to play. And poison + poise as an enemy gimmick actually works really well, if you ask me. Plus, one of the most useful rings in the game. In general, the DLC areas are just so ridiculously good, I'd put ALL of them above the very best of DS1, and that's really saying something!

I'm not counting the co-op areas for that, though. Those were clearly designed for multiple players, and they don't really work all that well no matter how you approach them. For what it's worth, I also think Cave of the Dead is the best of the three rather lackluster co-op areas from the three DLCs, with an actually fun boss fight. But they're not part of the Best Souls Level Of All Time(tm).

...maybe the series would work better as episodic content. Maybe it's just me, but I have the impression that both DS1 and DS2 benefited greatly from player feedback - hence why the DLC for both games is so much more refined. I really wouldn't mind having a rather small game to begin with, with periodically added new content, if it means more levels on par with the utter genius that is the ice castle in the latest DLC. Only if I didn't have to pay for each new update, of course... Oh well.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Lost Izalith got heavily nerfed in one of the patches. Dragon butt placement and behavior was changed to be slightly more manageable.

They also rearranged the Capra demons in demon ruins at or around the same time. I think you could pull more at once?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sunken King is great but I think I like Iron King and Ivory King even better.

Just goes to show how loving stellar the DS2 DLC is. I mean wow. Top-notch level design.

Sunken king is really well done, how you enter in a claustrophobic cave, then suddenly it open up to a massive chamber, before you know what you're doing you see the final boss, and the first bonfire is also the last bonfire and you can see pretty much the whole zone ahead of you from it. It feels very Dark Souls 1 in its philosophy, which was probably From responding to criticisms about Dark Souls 2 (as much as I love DS2).

But drat Iron King? You start by crossing that giant chain, epic as all gently caress. Its like walking on the flying buttresses in Anor Londo except even cooler because you're not as confused "is this really the way to go?" and instead its more like "oh boy, here we go." You get the smelter wedges and you're like "the gently caress is this?" and then the whole level is just one MASSIVE tower. Walking off to the nearby structures, gathering the scepter of flame, powering up the structure to gain access to new areas, its just so loving cool. It feels really Castlevania to me, back-tracking after you active all the machinery. Then you've got the loving amazing boss fight at the very base.

Ivory King though is like Anor Londo itself but frozen over, and has some really cool back-tracking as well once you turn off the cold. Oh and how about that intro? You walk towards the gate and the ice crystals explode and tell you to get the gently caress out, that's a good introduction. The bosses are pretty wild, and that drop into the old chaos is loving amazing.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I must have lost my Souls mojo. I beat nearly every boss in DS2 first time, but every single boss in the DLC has given me serious trouble (none more than Elana).

I've still not beaten that stupid magic cat in the third DLC.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leyburn posted:

I must have lost my Souls mojo. I beat nearly every boss in DS2 first time, but every single boss in the DLC has given me serious trouble (none more than Elana).

I've still not beaten that stupid magic cat in the third DLC.

Lots of the DS2 bosses are pretty easy if you have experience with souls' games.

The DLC bosses are no joke though.

But for all the challenge I actually really like them? Sinh is a pretty solid dragon, kinda reminds me of Kalameet. Fume Knight is a wicked fight and great to do solo, my kinda fight, just mixing it up with swords and rolls, like a better verison of Gwyn or Pursuer. Alonne is even more fun because of his cool Iajiutsu style, although his grab attack is total horseshit. And I thought Aava was pretty different and pretty fun to fight as well.

Elana's only hard because she summons assholes and then you have the multi-boss O&S pressure. You can usually beat the poo poo out of either her or the summon while she's busy summoning them though, I found, so just play it safe and run them around, separate them, and get them down. By herself she's not too bad.

As with all Dark Souls bosses they seem worse than they are at first, stay confident and try to control the pace of the battle instead of just reacting. Get a feel for how they respond if you get up close, if you get far away, if you get behind them, etc. And then force them into attacks that you know you can avoid and get hits in after. As usual summon phantoms if you need help :)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Summoning Phantoms is cheating.

I did it for both Sinh and Alonne and I now regret it :(

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
This is Dark Souls 3 :|

It'll be revealed to us in the proper From ways of obscure references. It'll turn out we're in Catarina or Vinheim, much much much further in time from our last Protagonist. A place in history where magic is dwindling. Yeah... yeah that sounds good.

Game looks fantastic and I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
actually drk osuls is demons sols2

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It'll turn out this is actually a prequel to King's Field: The Ancient City.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I legitimately hope there isn't a single Dark Souls reference in Bloodborne. It was impossible to even figure out what the gently caress was going on in Dark Souls 2 in part because it was impossible to tell whether a bunch of the Dark Souls references were meaningful to the lore or not.

On the other hand, the sunbro stuff in Dark Souls 2 made one particular type of spergs so angry that I kind of hope Solaire shows up.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

it was impossible to tell whether a bunch of the Dark Souls references were meaningful to the lore or not.

they weren't

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I legitimately hope there isn't a single Dark Souls reference in Bloodborne. It was impossible to even figure out what the gently caress was going on in Dark Souls 2 in part because it was impossible to tell whether a bunch of the Dark Souls references were meaningful to the lore or not.

On the other hand, the sunbro stuff in Dark Souls 2 made one particular type of spergs so angry that I kind of hope Solaire shows up.

Except Dark Souls 2 lore being obscure doesn't have anything to do with Dark Souls 2 referencing Dark Souls 1? :confused:

That's just how it is. The story isn't presented overtly, its told through obscure item descriptions. If you think DS1 was any different its just because you've spent more time watching Vaati's videos for DS1 lore. DS1 did have a little bit more going on (a few more NPCs, etc.) but it was pretty much the exact same way of telling it and it was just as uncertain.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

By "one particular type of spergs" you mean a bunch of goons in the Dark Souls 2 thread and no one else ever?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Except Dark Souls 2 lore being obscure doesn't have anything to do with Dark Souls 2 referencing Dark Souls 1? :confused:

That's just how it is. The story isn't presented overtly, its told through obscure item descriptions. If you think DS1 was any different its just because you've spent more time watching Vaati's videos for DS1 lore. DS1 did have a little bit more going on (a few more NPCs, etc.) but it was pretty much the exact same way of telling it and it was just as uncertain.

Basically everything in DS1 serves the game's narrative or themes coherently, even the hardcore lore nerds can't make Dark Souls 2 make sense without making ridiculous conjectural leaps, and basically the only conclusion that works is that the game is about memory loss and uncertainty and incoherence which is a case you could make for basically any story that doesn't make sense

Both games use the same storytelling devices, just the ones in Dark Souls tell a story that mostly makes sense and the ones in DS2 don't

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

By "one particular type of spergs" you mean a bunch of goons in the Dark Souls 2 thread and no one else ever?

Yes

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm curious too, who's being referred to here?

Edit: oh, I see

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A bunch of retards, at least on SA, were mad about the sunbro covenant in Dark Souls 2 because of "memes" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Basically everything in DS1 serves the game's narrative or themes coherently, even the hardcore lore nerds can't make Dark Souls 2 make sense without making ridiculous conjectural leaps, and basically the only conclusion that works is that the game is about memory loss and uncertainty and incoherence which is a case you could make for basically any story that doesn't make sense

Both games use the same storytelling devices, just the ones in Dark Souls tell a story that mostly makes sense and the ones in DS2 don't

Yes

nah DS1 has just had more years for idiots to go mad over

• Locked thread