Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Chris is pretty dumb too. Although he apparently has the skills to fly jets.

Argh, gently caress you RE6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Floe has been streaming his first run today. And it's been a goldmine.

http://www.twitch.tv/floe

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

blackguy32 posted:

Chris is pretty dumb too. Although he apparently has the skills to fly jets.

Argh, gently caress you RE6

He was an ex jet pilot before joining STARS, so this was actually a nice callback.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Momomo posted:

He was an ex jet pilot before joining STARS, so this was actually a nice callback.

I never realized that Chris' backstory is as ridiculous as Jill's. He was a 17 year old jet pilot! I think everyone just lied on their STARS entrance paperwork.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Momomo posted:

Yeah I know. He flew a jet in recv. But Chris is a dumbass. You usually need to be decent at problem solving to pass. Chris' s solution to moving a rock? Punch it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah I know. He flew a jet in recv. But Chris is a dumbass. You usually need to be decent at problem solving to pass. Chris' s solution to moving a rock? Punch it.

To be fair to him, that strategy bore fruit.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, you can't mock the boulder-punching too much on account of it actually working exactly as planned (:psyduck:)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

blackguy32 posted:

I really liked ORC even though I never did play through the Spec Ops side. Was that campaign any good?

no, not at all.

I think most people who had fun with ORC probably never wasted their money on Spec Ops and I have to say that they are smarter people than I. The LP was still fun, but it did prove that Professional ruins everything

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah, you can't mock the boulder-punching too much on account of it actually working exactly as planned (:psyduck:)

Chris had obviously been training for MvC3, so the boulder wasn't much in comparison.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
A fighter pilot. At 17.

It's amusing that the original RE team wanted to make these people out to be these badasses while still making them youthful enough to...relate to, I guess? Isn't Rebecca 16? After the mansion incident she probably had school on monday morning.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

A fighter pilot. At 17.

It's amusing that the original RE team wanted to make these people out to be these badasses while still making them youthful enough to...relate to, I guess? Isn't Rebecca 16? After the mansion incident she probably had school on monday morning.

Funny thing is that as of Resident Evil 6, everyone's in their 40s now, younger characters hitting their late 30s. Resident Evil 10 will have Chris in a nursing home fighting off a zombie outbreak at this rate.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Full Battle Rattle posted:

A fighter pilot. At 17.

It's more that Japan has really weird obsession with young characters, and I don't mean that in the sense "haha orientals are all pedophiles", it's kind of a cultural thing where adventure has to happen when you're young because once you hit your 20s you should get serious, find an accountant job, buy a house and get married. I think I read an excellent effortpost about this somewhere, but hell if I can remember where.

Ironically enough Resident Evil ended up being one of the few Japanese franchise that have a lot of characters older than 30 (only other franchise I can think of being Metal Gear) and I think some of its appeal is that the characters and the fanbase grew older together.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You can see a lot of Japanese games going that way in recent years, e.g. Yakuza, even Metal Gear. The shonen stuff isn't going anywhere, but there are definitely more older characters. Men, at least, if you're a single woman over 30 you're still basically a spinster.

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you

WitchFetish posted:

It's more that Japan has really weird obsession with young characters, and I don't mean that in the sense "haha orientals are all pedophiles", it's kind of a cultural thing where adventure has to happen when you're young because once you hit your 20s you should get serious, find an accountant job, buy a house and get married. I think I read an excellent effortpost about this somewhere, but hell if I can remember where.

Ironically enough Resident Evil ended up being one of the few Japanese franchise that have a lot of characters older than 30 (only other franchise I can think of being Metal Gear) and I think some of its appeal is that the characters and the fanbase grew older together.

This fits because of all the documents and files you find lying around in the series imply the characters also live in an admin nightmare. I presume when Chris gets back from punching boulders and shooting rockets into lava, he has a TON of paperwork to get through.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WitchFetish posted:

"She graduated from University while abroad. And can you believe she's only 14!"
"HMMMMMMMMMM so desu ne." etc

So overplayed.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Momomo posted:

The thing to remember about Jill is, she's an idiot. The REmake even added in scenes where they essentially tell her the plot, and it just flies over her head.

Good point. Actually, that kind of reminds me of my favorite line in the entire series, one which is usually overlooked in favor of Jill sandwich: In the original Resident Evil, when Jill first meets Enrique in the tunnels. He points a gun at her, then realizes it's her and lowers it, disbelieving and clearly suspicious.

Enrique: Jill?
Jill: :downs: Enrique? Is it you?
Enrique: .... Yeah...?

Just the way he says it is priceless. Especially with that little pause beforehand, like "Um... you can clearly see and hear me, I'm one of your coworkers and about ten feet away, facing you. Are you retarded or something?"

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is the REmake worth buying if you already own the gamecube version? Did anyone who had a part in creating the original gamecube game "remaster" it?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Ausmund posted:

Is the REmake worth buying if you already own the gamecube version? Did anyone who had a part in creating the original gamecube game "remaster" it?

I think it is for the PC at least for 60fps and the up and coming mods. Someone has to restore the original script eventually.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Ausmund posted:

I found that the price was right for the convenience of not having to drag out my Wii, as well of the niceness of playing it in widescreen (it's very nice widescreen).

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

What exactly triggers the Jill Sandwich scene in REmake? I just finished the game with Chris and was messing around as Jill until I got crushed in the shotgun room. I know that if you meet Barry somewhere else in the mansion first it can make him not rescue you but I headed for the shotgun at the earliest point possible. It made me feel kind of dumb for seeing how many times I could make Jill spin around in circles until Barry showed up and he never did. I also forgot how many complete spins I made. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ausmund posted:

If it not looking like poo poo on modern TV's and not having to drag your GC/Wii out of storage to play it is worth $20 then yes, otherwise, no.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.

Sivek posted:

What exactly triggers the Jill Sandwich scene in REmake? I just finished the game with Chris and was messing around as Jill until I got crushed in the shotgun room. I know that if you meet Barry somewhere else in the mansion first it can make him not rescue you but I headed for the shotgun at the earliest point possible. It made me feel kind of dumb for seeing how many times I could make Jill spin around in circles until Barry showed up and he never did. I also forgot how many complete spins I made. :(

You actually have to try and open both doors, finding they are both locked launches the cutscene (as long as you haven't met Barry elsewhere beforehand)

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Catpain Blackudder posted:

You actually have to try and open both doors, finding they are both locked launches the cutscene (as long as you haven't met Barry elsewhere beforehand)
gently caress, I feel like an idiot.

One of my favorite things about the first game is all the minor variations when it comes to NPC stuff. If only REmake had an arranged mode, though maybe something like that could be made possible with mods in time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the neat things about the original RE was you could occasionally get stuff to trigger differently by doing things in a different order. I'm sure I once got the 'rescue Rebecca from the Hunter' bit to spawn in a different room but I've no idea what I did to change it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What triggered Rebecca getting killed by the hunter? I remember being sat there completely :stare: the first time I saw one take a swipe and slice her head off in the library.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Does anyone know how you trigger being able to leave Kendo's Gun Shop in RE2 before the zombies break in? Every once in awhile I'm able to leave and I hear the events happening inside, and I can turn around and go back inside for the gun but I have no clue how that works.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Policenaut posted:

Does anyone know how you trigger being able to leave Kendo's Gun Shop in RE2 before the zombies break in? Every once in awhile I'm able to leave and I hear the events happening inside, and I can turn around and go back inside for the gun but I have no clue how that works.

I've never had it being a trigger thing, as far as I can remember, you can totally just walk out at any time and it goes just like you said. I've never not had that work.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I think you just have to hoof it for the door immediately.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.
By just leaving via the back door if I recall

Picking up the Handgun bullets (The pack in the left corner) is what triggers the actual zombie break-in scene

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I think there's an invisible panel/timer that sets off the zombies breaking through the windows, and it might be based on the character you're playing as. It does seem pretty random though :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

poptart_fairy posted:

What triggered Rebecca getting killed by the hunter? I remember being sat there completely :stare: the first time I saw one take a swipe and slice her head off in the library.

Pretty sure the event to save her always spawns when you return to the mansion after the hunter intro cutscene, whether she dies or not just depends on how long you take to get to her.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

The original is a bit more involved in regards to the Rebecca/Hunter scenario and deals with a number of circumstances. In the REmake, I think you just have to hurry to the study after hearing the scream upon entering the Spencer room.

Then again I could be completely wrong since a lot of stuff about the original feels like a playground urban legend when it comes to figuring out how x affects y later on.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 23, 2015

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

One of the neat things about the original RE was you could occasionally get stuff to trigger differently by doing things in a different order. I'm sure I once got the 'rescue Rebecca from the Hunter' bit to spawn in a different room but I've no idea what I did to change it.

The best for this was right at the start of Jill's scenario where if you went back to the dining room without encountering the first zombie, it would eventually wander out on its own prompting Barry to shoot it like four times with his magnum, thus making it the strongest zombie in the entire series.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Isn't Rebecca safe if you let her come with you or something? Or was that only in RE1?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, it's been so long and there's so many weird little conditions that trigger stuff I've no idea any more.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

blackguy32 posted:

Is Chris the one who has a severe authority problem? Angry and too stupid to know his place, yet they keep giving him leadership positions.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How hard overall is the re4 professional mode? Tried it once half-assedly and died instantly when entering the village, got swarmed really quickly. Does it get harder/easier over time and are there some good tips for the pro mode?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Vakal posted:

The best for this was right at the start of Jill's scenario where if you went back to the dining room without encountering the first zombie, it would eventually wander out on its own prompting Barry to shoot it like four times with his magnum, thus making it the strongest zombie in the entire series.

I don't think you can do it without seeing the first zombie.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Doctor Goat posted:

I don't think you can do it without seeing the first zombie.

you can in fact do this

1) Talk to Barry (hope this is not Chris's blood, etc)
2) Go back out to Wesker, he'll send you back
3) Try to go back to Wesker again, Barry will stop you
4) Go over towards Barry

It was even in both versions of the game

e: I like how Barry immediately concludes a walking man is insane and then just unloads on the zombie while Jill is right there in his line of fire. STARS really was the best swat team ever.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Solomonic posted:

you can in fact do this

1) Talk to Barry (hope this is not Chris's blood, etc)
2) Go back out to Wesker, he'll send you back
3) Try to go back to Wesker again, Barry will stop you
4) Go over towards Barry

It was even in both versions of the game

Still learning new stuff about this game despite it being nearly 20 years old, drat.