Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Often, Notch would talk about all the things he wanted to add to Minecraft in the future, and then just not do or even try any of them. We've already got the problem with features that DO get added to the game, which then get immediately neglected to move on to the next halfassed idea. Now we've also got a number of things that never got done because apparently nobody wanted to invest time in fixing things up so they weren't using terrible inefficient systems? Simple things, too. Not even the stuff people often talk about when they mention abandoned Minecraft ideas.

Although that seems to be changing with the more recent updates, including the upcoming one. Still, that's something that should have happened during the little time warp back to 1.0 and not ages later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

It's a good thing we never accused you of anything of the sort and instead spent our time remarking on the general risk of open game development and user entitlement, which leads to someone like yourself able to easily search up a list of 'broken promises' curated by someone/persons who likely feel personally slighted because they have unhealthy expectations

Please quit being so goony

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I mean, chairs and quivers were on the tilesheet for a long time. Gears were animated and placeable in one of the dev builds. Nothing ever came of any of it.
I think most people can agree the consensus was largely that Notch just added whatever came to mind and had no real long term plans for the game whatsoever, which seems obvious enough. Still, so many of the ideas tossed around sound way better than some of the ideas we ended up getting.

Magmarashi posted:

It's a good thing we never accused you of anything of the sort and instead spent our time remarking on the general risk of open game development and user entitlement, which leads to someone like yourself able to easily search up a list of 'broken promises' curated by someone/persons who likely feel personally slighted because they have unhealthy expectations
Who are you even quoting?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The topic of 'unrealized minecraft features' comes side by side with the topic of "drat, people will file every breath and fart under 'promised feature'"

Sue me for having a good jab at those sorts of people, I'll consult with you guys next time before hand to make sure it's alright i guess

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Still, so many of the ideas tossed around sound way better than some of the ideas we ended up getting.

Mostly because those ideas are focused on making the world look nicer with natural variety and giving players more creative options, which are things Minecraft could always use more of.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Gears were animated and placeable in one of the dev builds.

This is still the thing I've wanted more than anything else, and I remember those teases fondly. Gears and chains and moving parts. One day a game will let me make, essentially, Mechanicraft

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I still prefer the gear thing over redstone. Especially since redstone was initially introduced with such innovative features as "gets immediately destroyed when you walk over it" and "pretty much can only be placed on the ground all over the place"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gears are way cooler than some fuckin' magic dust that was once named Aspergite

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Whalley posted:

Still the best Fan name for anything pre item names

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Whalley posted:

God I miss those days.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Place dragon egg over beacon, beacon has a selectable option for flight within the radius

Killing the dragon causes massive patches of Taint and Livingrock to spawn in the world, which slowly converts the normal terrain around it to the new type. New ores like Copper and Tin spawn in these zones and harder mobs spawn everywhere now. Randomly over time a flying skeleton will crash in and ruin your day.

You have to kill all the bosses summonable with these 'hard mode' items, take their 1% drops, and craft them together for a one-shot chance at defeating a timed boss for a crafting ingredient for the flight beacon.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Blind Duke posted:

Place dragon egg over beacon, beacon has a selectable option for flight within the radius

Killing the dragon causes massive patches of Taint and Livingrock to spawn in the world, which slowly converts the normal terrain around it to the new type. New ores like Copper and Tin spawn in these zones and harder mobs spawn everywhere now. Randomly over time a flying skeleton will crash in and ruin your day.

You have to kill all the bosses summonable with these 'hard mode' items, take their 1% drops, and craft them together for a one-shot chance at defeating a timed boss for a crafting ingredient for the flight beacon.

This is a terrariable idea, and I don't know how you could think of such a thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
god I almost forgot that horse saddles were craftable for a short bit

why the gently caress aren't horse saddles craftable

Cheez posted:

This is a terrariable idea, and I don't know how you could think of such a thing.
also let's really not put a block called "taint" in minecraft

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thaumcraft already does, it's quite fun in a way.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
More news about the updates to the End.

For those who are not aware, the console version of the Ender Dragon made these changes.

-The End starts off with an unfinished Bedrock Portal (the fountain that appears under the Ender Dragon on death in the PC Version). The console version considers the fountain to be a nest of sorts, apparently.
-The Ender Dragon flies around for 30 seconds, firing what is called Ender Charges (similar mechanic to the Ghast fireballs) that cannot be deflected. After 30 Seconds he comes down and hovers over the Bedrock Portal where he can be hit via melee.
-While hovering close to the ground, the Ender Dragon has a breath weapon called Ender Acid, which hits in a cone. it remains hovering for 30 seconds before flying off again.
-The Ender Dragon will attack Endermen who get close to its nest when it is in hover mode, it will not chase down Endermen who are not near its nest.
-The End Crystals that heal the Ender Dragon are covered in Iron Bars, so players must scale the obsidian pillars and break down the bars to destroy the crystals.

I've seen a few videos of the console version and the fight at the very least looks a lot more interesting than the lazy boss fight we get on the PC where the dragon just flies around randomly and occasional flies through the players and terrain. So taking ideas from the console version is great, especially since Dinnerbone has been hinting since 1.8 of further interaction between Endermen and the End/Ender Dragon and that Endermites are currently not properly implemented and have something to do with the Ender Dragon Egg.

Starting to get really interested about 1.9.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vib Rib posted:

We're not saying those weird exaggerated things you're arguing against.
I for one am not saying "look at all these features they promised then lied about by not delivering", I brought it up as more a point of "look what could have been".

"Actually it's about ethics in game development. "

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Thaumcraft already does, it's quite fun in a way.

The hardmode bosses are Infernal Mobs, potion sickness is Hunger Overhaul and the massive selection of decorative materials is Chisel

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
I hope Dinnerbone deletes the "ending" text.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Or at least makes it scroll down upside-down.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm really looking forward to Minecraft, known for being a combat game, getting more complex combat. Can't wait for that revamped dragon fight in my favorite dragon fighting simulator.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

fondue posted:

It works; there's no bobble of objects placed into the world and it's pretty seemless. I think the big question is how long it will take them to move it from the hard-cabled to a backpack glasses that require calibration to the user into glasses that anyone can just put on and use. I've been reading coverage of the Hololens and it's nothing short of amazing, it looks like a lot of kinect research went into making it happen.

Lol I just thought, instead of making the kinect lenses 3 across maybe they should have them glow green and be in a triangle,

People walking around looking like Sam fisher....

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Enzer posted:

So taking ideas from the console version is great

I agree. Now they need to give us the console edition texture packs. The Natural, City, Halloween and Fantasy texture packs all look so goddamn much better than vanilla Minecraft and so much better than anything I can find from the community that it's made switching back to PC kinda hard.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jamesman posted:

I'm really looking forward to Minecraft, known for being a combat game, getting more complex combat. Can't wait for that revamped dragon fight in my favorite dragon fighting simulator.

I dunno, the console version of the Ender Dragon fight looks actually fun and it seems the Console Devs designed it around the fact that MC has poo poo combat mechanics to begin with. Giving a boss actual attack patterns and behaviors instead of "randomly noclips through structures to fly through you" or "just sort of hovers nearby and just spams explosive ranged attacks at anything living, be it players or mobs" kind of goes a long way towards helping the combat be a bit better. I mean, better AI and behaviors is something a lot of people have been kicking around as the start to improving the combat in the game (outside improved and additional animations and tells).

Don't know why you are so sour that the devs are trying to go back and fix one of the lazier things they added. :shrug:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's Jamesman's gimmick, he's been doing that poo poo for years.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Please, for the love of all things holy, let's not turn this into another Starbound thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ooooooo~ the starbound thread boogeyman oooooo~ hiding under your bed gonna getcha if you don't say your prayers ooooooooooooo~

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, although I kinda peaced out of the Starbound thread after like, the second or third birdtit derail

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Starbound thread is bad because there still hasn't been a stable update in almost 9 months and there's literally nothing to talk about anymore except how terribly the game is being developed (as evident by the Nightlies and their blog posts and the fact that three years into development they're still removing and redoing core gameplay elements like whether or not mobs have armor or what exactly the energy bar should do), but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. DOesn't stop people from popping in at random telling everyone that they should try posting about the game more without, you know, doing that themselves, but at least people stopped trying to divert conversation to Reddit completely lmao

So is all we know about 1.9 the changes to mobs RE: resource packs and the dirt paths? I really like the dirt paths, btw

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

The Starbound thread is bad because there still hasn't been a stable update in almost 9 months and there's literally nothing to talk about anymore except how terribly the game is being developed (as evident by the Nightlies and their blog posts and the fact that three years into development they're still removing and redoing core gameplay elements like whether or not mobs have armor or what exactly the energy bar should do), but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. DOesn't stop people from popping in at random telling everyone that they should try posting about the game more without, you know, doing that themselves, but at least people stopped trying to divert conversation to Reddit completely lmao

So is all we know about 1.9 the changes to mobs RE: resource packs and the dirt paths? I really like the dirt paths, btw

The Cubeworld thread went through the same sort of cycle, and in the end it all boiled down to people just wouldn't stop posting. There wasn't anything to talk about, but they just kept posting and posting. The entire thread improved when people stopped filling their daily shitposting quota and let it die (just like the game)

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

The Cubeworld thread went through the same sort of cycle, and in the end it all boiled down to people just wouldn't stop posting. There wasn't anything to talk about, but they just kept posting and posting. The entire thread improved when people stopped filling their daily shitposting quota and let it die (just like the game)

I'm suddenly glad the Cubeworld demo wouldn't work on my computer. Can you link me to a condensed version of what happened? Last I saw it was promising, if slow, but that was a long time ago and I hadn't thought of it since.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I miss the days when this thread got hundreds of posts every day and it got so fuckawful that chat about Notch and stuff not specifically about the game got quarantined into its own thread. That was really good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cicadas! posted:

I'm suddenly glad the Cubeworld demo wouldn't work on my computer. Can you link me to a condensed version of what happened? Last I saw it was promising, if slow, but that was a long time ago and I hadn't thought of it since.

game dead

edit: Long version: The game hasn't been updated in a very long time and there's implications that the developers either a) got bored and jaded with updating it or b) got their money and peaced out leaving the game almost totally unfinished, and the game's been almost totally abandoned by its former userbase because of that. Their twitters haven't been updated in at least a year, more for the latter. The team just disappeared.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 23, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

It's Jamesman's gimmick, he's been doing that poo poo for years.

You might have me confused with someone else. I didn't know I even had a gimmick.

I just don't like the potential idea of making combat more drawn out and boring than it already is, especially if it doesn't bring any other changes with it (see: zombie hordes, skeleton fist-firing). I guess we'll see how it turns out, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

CJacobs posted:

game dead

edit: Long version: The game hasn't been updated in a very long time and there's implications that the developers either a) got bored and jaded with updating it or b) got their money and peaced out leaving the game almost totally unfinished, and the game's been almost totally abandoned by its former userbase because of that. Their twitters haven't been updated in at least a year, more for the latter. The team just disappeared.

The team was one guy and his wife and when the alpha launched a bunch of crybabies DDOSed it so that almost no one could buy the damned thing. The DDOSing lasted for days. This was on top of people sending hateful tweets. All because he let some Youtubers have advanced copies or something. Considering he was never marketing himself as a future major game dev, I can see why he would just peace out when poo poo got that bad. Considering a bunch of devs came out about the stream of threats they receive on a regular basis (even forming a support group because of it) I could see how a first timer and hobbyist might be scared off. Also, he did post an update about new map generation and a new arena battle quest type months after release, before vanishing again.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jamesman posted:

You might have me confused with someone else. I didn't know I even had a gimmick.

I just don't like the potential idea of making combat more drawn out and boring than it already is, especially if it doesn't bring any other changes with it (see: zombie hordes, skeleton fist-firing). I guess we'll see how it turns out, though.

Having played the console version of the end dragon fight, it's a huge upgrade. It also makes the end look nicer by having the obsidian towers arranged in a circle, meaning you could theoretically do something cool with them if you want to build things in the end.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

The team was one guy and his wife and when the alpha launched a bunch of crybabies DDOSed it so that almost no one could buy the damned thing. The DDOSing lasted for days. This was on top of people sending hateful tweets. All because he let some Youtubers have advanced copies or something. Considering he was never marketing himself as a future major game dev, I can see why he would just peace out when poo poo got that bad. Considering a bunch of devs came out about the stream of threats they receive on a regular basis (even forming a support group because of it) I could see how a first timer and hobbyist might be scared off. Also, he did post an update about new map generation and a new arena battle quest type months after release, before vanishing again.

On top of this, he did an interview about a week after the DDOS where he discussed the fact that he and his wife were receiving death threats being mailed to their address. Memory is a little fuzzy, but I think they decided to move because of the personal attacks. He only attended one game convention after release and the dude looked like poo poo and was very jittery when anyone approached him. Between the game being a part time project (he stated that he has a full time job and that the game was more of a side project to show off the tools he wrote) and the insane public reaction he was getting, I do not blame him for either quitting the scene or just distancing himself from people.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's a drat shame, it was a nice looking thing, and he didn't deserve that poo poo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Huh, wait, so he was sent death threats, because he sent some advanced copies to youtube stars of his nice looking vaguely minecraftish game he made?

I know it's the internet and all, but that seems to go way way into the overreaction side of things, I just hope the guy got his anonymity back and doesn't receive deathtreats from rapid minecraft fanboys anymore.

Probably a good chance the deaththreats were sent by the minecraft modders, in fear of losing adfly penny revenue.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Minecraft's fanbase is made of literal children and adults who act like they are still children alike so it is very unfortunate, but not all that surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

CJacobs posted:

Minecraft's fanbase The entire world is made of literal children and adults who act like they are still children alike so it is very unfortunate, but not all that surprising.

That's the impression I get after reading anything online, anyway.