Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
I was actually talking about the old wc3 custom map, not the new engine, and the bkb back then didn't have diminishing returns. It was an example of improvement in game design. Taking something that was expensive but basically invalidated huge amounts of characters encouraged gameplay that was mostly farm, farm farm, kill the whole team with zero threat to me and touch myself. I like that smite has managed to move away from copying an old wc3 custom map as strictly as possible, it is something most other games in the genre have trouble doing. That was the entire point of the post. Change can be good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halwain
May 31, 2011
I dont really want to derail the thread alot more but Dota has changed alot since the old wc3 custom map. From playing both games farm (at least to me) seems to have the same impact in both games.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

If nobody has had a chance to play the new Conquest map on PTS (or if you're lazy like me), this is a good read:

PROFESSOR PROXY – EPISODE 12: EXPLORING CONQUEST IN SEASON 2

proxydamage posted:

#1 – Wave clear is losing value. It’s no longer efficient to simply push the enemy under the tower. In fact, you want to avoid it, as doing so gives them a generally safe, if less efficient, way to farm. It’ll still be an advantage to be able to wave clear efficiently if needed (minions still hurt a lot early game), but no longer a requirement.

#2 – Poking and boxing potential becomes more important for laning. With tower denial all but gone and the new changes to minion death rewards the new denial comes from zoning. Characters that can keep you at low health or guarantee a duel victory early and can push you away from the wave will be the new form of denial. However…

#3 – Lanes might become more passive. Complete “zone out” is not particularly easy in smite where you not only have to prevent last hits, but proximity to the wave in general. A very real possibility is that lanes where neither side has a big advantage or high kill potential on the other will simply become passive farm lanes with occasional “all in” hard engages.

#4 – Particularly the duo lane. The situation above is particularly accentuated in the duo lane where the mana hungry hunters lost access to the mana buff in lieu of a basic attack bonus buff, giving them less access to early skills and general fight potential.

#5 – Counter-jungling will be more efficient. Meanwhile in the jungle, counter jungling will become a more efficient strategy as jungle minions can no longer be hard-reset on a pinch. Together with the loss of the attack speed on the Speed Buff, the jungle became more vulnerable to early invasion.

#6 – More emphasis will probably fall on strong late game laners but strong early game junglers. Strong early junglers such as Thanatos will put more pressure on the enemy jungle with counter jungling, and are better suited to pressure lanes early, making it harder for enemy laners to rely on “zoning out” – a strategy that naturally puts them in a riskier position, and thus allowing their late game laners to farm safely. Alternatively a couple of good early ganks can put a laner ahead enough that they can suddenly become the “zone out” bully.

#7 – Rotations and objective attempts became riskier. With wave tagging gone and “wave pushing” a less efficient strategy a failed rotation can become more costly. Meanwhile the new jungle leashing mechanics make attempting Fire Giant or Gold Fury while contested much riskier due to the increased risk of a steal. This is doubly true for the Fire Giant due to his new skill set that trades much of his previous guaranteed damage for higher but conditional damage. Damage that you can more easily avoid if uncontested, but will likely be forced into during a fight.

#8 – Due to all of the above there is currently a risk of the game becoming much more passive after the start and until late game. With the laning phase focusing more exclusively on farming and duelling.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Nasgate posted:

The only problem here is that other consumables wouldn't be as good, so everyone on the team would be placing wards. So they'd have to do something like limit the amount of placeable wards for the whole team. Which could also make de-warding actually purposeful.

They could limit the number of Eyes that could be bought by the team in that case, or find some way to make it only purchasable if you have Watcher's Gift also.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Is there a patch notes stream today? I could have sworn I read somewhere that today would be patch notes, with items preview, class nerfs, and PTS would go up later tonight?

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Yes. 4:00 PM EST http://twitch.tv/smitegame

Just list of changes coming to PTS.

edit-
With changes to PTS this weekend I believe.

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 23, 2015

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got this game maybe like 2 weeks ago. I don't play it much in favor of league, but I at least log on everyday to get the bonus. Bought my first God, Apollo, because he looked like a cool bro. I'm impressed. He's like the broest character I've ever seen in video game. Like if anyone ever asked, "which fictional character would you rather have a beer with?" I'd def pick him.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Safety Scissors posted:

Got this game maybe like 2 weeks ago. I don't play it much in favor of league, but I at least log on everyday to get the bonus. Bought my first God, Apollo, because he looked like a cool bro. I'm impressed. He's like the broest character I've ever seen in video game. Like if anyone ever asked, "which fictional character would you rather have a beer with?" I'd def pick him.

Someone link this guy those live action skits they do.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Safety Scissors posted:

I'd pick Bacchus. He seems like he'd be pretty cool to hang out with.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Is the Greek god Priapus going to be included in a future patch?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Obstacle2 posted:

Is the Greek god Priapus going to be included in a future patch?

He can be like Hercules only he hits people with his giant boner instead of a club.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

PTS notes here.

edit-
(Found official HiRez notes)

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 24, 2015

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Pretty much every change that they mentioned is good, except I think they may be over-nerfing Qin's with not giving it a price decrease.

The new starter items will be weird too. And supports are going to have more gold issues, probably.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thought this was interesting. Kotaku posted a poll asking people's favorite MOBA. Right now Smite is a runaway winner with 53% of the vote. LoL is #2 with 23%

http://kotaku.com/whats-your-favorite-moba-1681406463

Grain of salt, etc

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

Thought this was interesting. Kotaku posted a poll asking people's favorite MOBA. Right now Smite is a runaway winner with 53% of the vote. LoL is #2 with 23%

http://kotaku.com/whats-your-favorite-moba-1681406463

Grain of salt, etc

I feel kinda bad for the 12 guys that said Demigod. They must just be eternally playing against one another.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've played this game for over 2 years, so I'm ashamed to admit this, but I don't know what Leash or leashing means.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've played this game for over 2 years, so I'm ashamed to admit this, but I don't know what Leash or leashing means.

Pulling a jungle camp until it turns around and goes back to its default spot.

syriquez
Apr 7, 2011

Woosh
Holy poo poo. Those starter items are going to be horrifying to lane against.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Squashy Nipples posted:

The current-and-soon-to-be-outdated "safe" method to clear jungle creeps is to "pull" them to the edge of their camp. You generally pull them to a side where it's least likely an invade will come from (ie- your "map side" of the GF camp). The reason being if you actually get invaded and need to bail, you can move 5 feet back and the creep resets to full health and returns to their default positioning. The invader now has to clear the entire creep camp from 100% health if they want to steal it, so it usually ends in stalemate or whoever has the superior numbers usually claim it.

With the Season 2 change, if you do this the creep wave will run back but instead of going immediately back to full health, they slowly regen health back, which rewards invading because it's now easier to steal.

The jungle is going to be crazy hostile now. People think we're in an "assassin meta" - oh just you wait.

Also my thoughts on these notes:
More itemization is always a buff to warriors. Guan Yu has some good item choices, and LOL Urchin & new Spirit Robe will be all the defensive items you'll ever need as a warrior. Penetration off boots is big. RIP sovereignty. Welcome back, speed boots.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I wonder if the HP5 on Heartward and new Sovreignity will stack.

That will make Assault... Different.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

New Poseidon skin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZn_vEfFCWQ

What's interesting is the new Neith skin teased in that video. Dataminers dug this up:

:quagmire:

Dataminers digging into PTS right now. They're teasing Medusa as possible next goddess but who knows, they might be jerking us around.
It's Bellona, Roman goddess of war (with Medusa on her shield). Wiki article here.

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 24, 2015

syriquez
Apr 7, 2011

Woosh

cyclonic posted:

The jungle is going to be crazy hostile now. People think we're in an "assassin meta" - oh just you wait.

It honestly feels like they're trying to reintroduce the 2-1-2 meta.

Derp, it's called Carnival Neith in the loving notes. ~.~

syriquez fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 24, 2015

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I like the idea of them removing the pen from boots, so there's more of a choice. But with doing that I really think they should add some more magic pen items, as it was the vast majority of mages only ever got boots and Obsidian Shard for pen, now they'll be losing a sizable chunk of it.

Also it basically just changed the clearly superior item from pen boots to CDR boots except for a few gods which will want one of the others.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Is Wednesday then the patch day?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dvlos posted:

Is Wednesday then the patch day?

The way they were talking I don't think the stuff in the patch notes preview is going to be up this week.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The way they were talking I don't think the stuff in the patch notes preview is going to be up this week.

That's why I'm asking they sort of acted like there was more changes coming - but I wasn't sure if they were going to keep pts'ing these changes.

Might as well release what's working first?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dvlos posted:

That's why I'm asking they sort of acted like there was more changes coming - but I wasn't sure if they were going to keep pts'ing these changes.

Might as well release what's working first?

From what I've seen in streams calling it "working" is being kind of generous. A couple of the actives don't seem to have their effects at all and I'm pretty sure the art in the new map is still in flux.

The fact that they kept giving the disclaimer "THIS IS NOT FINAL!!" makes me think they don't intend to release anything this week. I could be wrong though.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Season 2 was apparently pushed to February 11 this time, so it might very well mean that no updates until then. Or new god comes out between, with kit made for new map.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

There's still some changes they want to role out. HiRez teased nerfing healers but nothing is in the PTS yet.

There's also some polishing that needs to get done - the UI is a little clunky (chat window is small, it defaults to unintuitive menu tabs), map needs to get tweaked (jungle creeps are behaving weird) and some new items don't have the correct tooltips (not to mention some items really need to get balanced).

Any "patch notes" most likely are for the PTS and we probably won't see many changes in the actual game client until the PTS stuff is ironed out. There's some big changes coming and they're asking for player feedback with the PTS.

But then again, HiRez surprised us with Hou Yi...

edit-
Guide to winning every game on PTS as a Jungler: NEW ITEM IS BROKEN

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 25, 2015

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I'm thinking of trying out Smite for a few days but just in case I end up staying forever would any goon who's gunning for that Sock Puppet thing like to refer me as their bestest friend?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I like Tyr: https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/default.aspx?referral=463384&utm_campaign=email and very slowly leveling a smurf; would help a bit.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Season 2 PTS #2 - Item Feedback

quote:

Briefly describe what you would change about the current Manikin's Scepter.

Everything.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Yeah, all the other starter items seem fine but Manikin has some issues and they should just remove it. If people want an slow on auto attacks early they can pay up for a heavy hammer.

I'm also really concerned about pen being harder to come by now. Is it even possible to max magic pen without pen boots?

syriquez
Apr 7, 2011

Woosh

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Is it even possible to max magic pen without pen boots?

Flat magical penetration? It's not even possible now. The highest you can get is 45 from boots, Spear, and the cheap helmet. You can get a lot of reduction effects compared to physical though, with Spear being 20+20% reduction, Demonic at 21% reduction, and Void Stone at another 15 reduction.

To be honest, I think that's kind of their goal. Penetration was too easy to maximize and contributed to the "victory by 15 minutes" issue they're clearly trying to eliminate.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

syriquez posted:

Flat magical penetration? It's not even possible now. The highest you can get is 45 from boots, Spear, and the cheap helmet. You can get a lot of reduction effects compared to physical though, with Spear being 20+20% reduction, Demonic at 21% reduction, and Void Stone at another 15 reduction.

To be honest, I think that's kind of their goal. Penetration was too easy to maximize and contributed to the "victory by 15 minutes" issue they're clearly trying to eliminate.

That's true, but at the same time tanks are going to start being kind of stupid now.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

That's true, but at the same time tanks are going to start being kind of stupid now.

This is somewhat curbed by tank itemization being much, much more varied. No more Watcher's->Midas->Sovereignty guaranteed starts for every single guardian in the game.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Shab posted:

This is somewhat curbed by tank itemization being much, much more varied. No more Watcher's->Midas->Sovereignty guaranteed starts for every single guardian in the game.

I was talking more about the likes of Herc and Vamana. I should have said warrior instead of tank.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
Started playing this recently and am having a good time. I usually suck at these types of games but with the control scheme I do much better than usual. My IGN is Antignostic if someone could invite me to the clan.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dick Holden posted:

Started playing this recently and am having a good time. I usually suck at these types of games but with the control scheme I do much better than usual. My IGN is Antignostic if someone could invite me to the clan.

I just sent you an invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Shab posted:

Like I never start this way

• Locked thread