Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Awesome! posted:

by that metric titanfall is worth $10,000

When you have to download 40 GB of video files before you can play, that's how you know it's a good game. Chrono Trigger? 32 MB? Get out of here with that weak rear end console poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
You guys are all such reactionary retards. What's the last $40 game that was that small on the PS3?

edit - it's the smallest retail game that I can find. Next biggest is Angry Birds Star Wars. If you don't understand why an exceptionally small file size is not a good sign you probably shouldn't respond.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 24, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ariza posted:

You guys are all such reactionary retards. What's the last $40 game that was that small on the PS3?

edit - it's the smallest retail game that I can find. Next biggest is Angry Birds Star Wars. If you don't understand why an exceptionally small file size is not a good sign you probably shouldn't respond.

Why is an exceptionally small file size not a good sign? I'm curious?

Spelunky is 116 MB on the Vita and not much bigger elsewhere. What does that mean for Spelunky?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Vagrant Story I think is less that 100 MB, but that game seems loved by many.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

Graphically that game did so much with so little, it's insane.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ariza posted:

Lol, what the gently caress is this poo poo!?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I think he means textures and tiffs or whatever UVW maps and poo poo are at higher quality and pixel amounts. I assume because there is no 3d models and the need for normal mapping, high quality post processing and additional shaders, that there is a huge cutdown on the graphical side. What of the HD uncompressed audio making up for a large bulk of space like other games? I dunno, I actually don't care, but I can kind of understand his logic.

The game does look like a $20 download. Which I would buy in a heartbeat, but at $40, no thanks.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Chrono Trigger? 32 MB? Get out of here with that weak rear end console poo poo.

Old console cartridges are measured in megabits (Mb) which means that's only 4 megabytes (MB). So it's like, a game for babies or something.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ariza posted:

I know what you're talking about. The game has a small penis, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ariza posted:

If I was coding a game, I'd make it as unoptimized as possible to ensure its filesize was big enough to get them phat retail purchases. Only the most bloated and buggy code will get the attention of the marketplace.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If I was coding a game, I'd make it as unoptimized as possible to ensure its filesize was big enough to get them phat retail purchases. Only the most bloated and buggy code will get the attention of the marketplace.

Get out of here, Yves.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're dumb.

Cloks posted:

I know what you're talking about. The game has a small penis, right?

You're dumb.

ImpAtom posted:

Why is an exceptionally small file size not a good sign? I'm curious?

Spelunky is 116 MB on the Vita and not much bigger elsewhere. What does that mean for Spelunky?

PSN game.

blackguy32 posted:

PSX game.

Scyron posted:

I think he means textures and tiffs or whatever UVW maps and poo poo are at higher quality and pixel amounts. I assume because there is no 3d models and the need for normal mapping, high quality post processing and additional shaders, that there is a huge cutdown on the graphical side. What of the HD uncompressed audio making up for a large bulk of space like other games? I dunno, I actually don't care, but I can kind of understand his logic.

The game does look like a $20 download. Which I would buy in a heartbeat, but at $40, no thanks.

You're the only one that seems to understand that making a game like this a full price, retail boxed, non-PSN game is dumb and was a bad decision made by someone. I was excited about it because I assumed it would be a $20 PSN game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ariza posted:

You're dumb.

You're dumb.

PSN game.

PSX game.

You're the only one that seems to understand that making a game like this a full price, retail boxed, non-PSN game is dumb and was a bad decision made by someone. I was excited about it because I assumed it would be a $20 PSN game.

so its bad because its size is small c/d

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

titanfall is the best value for money game out right now other than total war so its all i'll play now

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the greatest video game is resistance fall of man because it takes up the whole blu ray. there are uncompressed .wavs you wouldn't believe

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ariza posted:

You're dumb.

Nah, you're the idiot here. Sorry.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also i dunno how it was the smallest retail game you could find, you obviously didnt look very hard because, you know, minecraft exists

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

absolutely anything posted:

the greatest video game is resistance fall of man because it takes up the whole blu ray. there are uncompressed .wavs you wouldn't believe

Didn't they put multiple versions of the game in different languages on the disc because they had the room?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nah, you're the idiot here. Sorry.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I've spent the last two days re-downloading and rebuying a bunch of games I had before, as well as getting some :coal: classics, and now my superslim PS3 is pretty well stocked with awesome poo poo to play...and the FFXIII trilogy!

Currently going through Metal Gear Rising again and I lost all skill I had at this game. Also the DS3 sucks compared to the DS4.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Static Rook posted:

I've spent the last two days re-downloading and rebuying a bunch of games I had before, as well as getting some :coal: classics, and now my superslim PS3 is pretty well stocked with awesome poo poo to play...and the FFXIII trilogy!

Currently going through Metal Gear Rising again and I lost all skill I had at this game. Also the DS3 sucks compared to the DS4.
You can just plug the controller into the PS3, only thing that won't work is the menu button.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Static Rook posted:

When my fat 60gig bc ps3 gets repaired in a month or so, I am going to have to fail so hard to get so good at that game again. I left off able to do no hit on the first 2 desperados but now? I doubt I will be able to beat cyborgdog with a parry on auto easy. :cry:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You can just plug the controller into the PS3, only thing that won't work is the menu button.

Depends pretty hard on the game. Analogue sticks won't work right with Destiny, EDF 2025 is mostly fine except for some vehicle stuff, Resogun doesn't work at all.. there's a few lists out there and most stuff works though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ariza posted:

PSN game.

So if Spelunky came on a disc it would instantly be a worse game? "I don't think this game is worth the money" has nothing to do with file sizes unless you're judging a game's worth on its file size. You said that it was a 'bad sign' and that it should be self-evident why a small size is a bad sign, when I don't particularly see small size as a bad sign by default.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 25, 2015

revolther
May 27, 2008
Eh for a game attached to a hugely popular cartoon, 300MB kinda guarantees it won't feature much voice work, music, HD assets or cut scene animation in a style similar to the show, or basically any of the child attention grabbing aspects of the source material.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

revolther posted:

Eh for a game attached to a hugely popular cartoon, 300MB kinda guarantees it won't feature much voice work, music, HD assets or cut scene animation in a style similar to the show, or basically any of the child attention grabbing aspects of the source material.

Counterpoint: licensed games that didn't suck existed before we had the technology to include those things in video games. There are also many current gen games that don't include those things and don't suck. Several of them have been named on this page. The line between downloadable title and retail title is in no way an indicator of the general quality or appeal of a game.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Which of the Lego games for PS3 are worth their salt? I've played the first two Lego Star Wars ones years ago when they were out for PS2, and I've enjoyed Lego Marvel Superheroes.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Dross posted:

Counterpoint: licensed games that didn't suck existed before we had the technology to include those things in video games. There are also many current gen games that don't include those things and don't suck. Several of them have been named on this page. The line between downloadable title and retail title is in no way an indicator of the general quality or appeal of a game.
I can think of a single decent licensed game before dvd came along as a format. GoldenEye. TV Shows/movies/comics turned into games were nearly always the worst of the worst shovelware until like the ps3/360 generation, and the stigma isn't entirely shaken.

And none of the "current gen" games mentioned previously(Minecraft/Angry Birds/Spelunky) are indicative of high quality gameplay, but are more high exposure niche titles.

Explore the PlayStation Mini's library and realize how much low effort poo poo is associated with downloadable titles rather than the most successful outliers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

revolther posted:

I can think of a single decent licensed game before dvd came along as a format. GoldenEye. TV Shows/movies/comics turned into games were nearly always the worst of the worst shovelware until like the ps3/360 generation, and the stigma isn't entirely shaken.

And none of the "current gen" games mentioned previously(Minecraft/Angry Birds/Spelunky) are indicative of high quality gameplay, but are more high exposure niche titles.

Explore the PlayStation Mini's library and realize how much low effort poo poo is associated with downloadable titles rather than the most successful outliers.
The Capcom NES Disney games were pretty good...

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

revolther posted:

Cool Spot. Ducktales. Aladdin. Ninja Turtles arcade games. Marvel vs. Capcom. Super Star Wars series (most SW games really). Goonies II. That's just what I came up with immediately.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this whole argument is dumb. all of it.

except the part where there were lots of rad licensed games before Goldeneye. Cool Spot rocked. So did NES Batman. all the games Dross mentioned are rad.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Most games before the DVD were pretty much all terrible, we just didn't know any better. If Super Mario Brothers came out today as a nostalgic pixel art indie platformer, it'd be laughed out of the room as a lovely one-note repetitive game for casuals. Although the music is pretty catchy.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Crappy Jack posted:

Most games before the DVD were pretty much all terrible, we just didn't know any better. If Super Mario Brothers came out today as a nostalgic pixel art indie platformer, it'd be laughed out of the room as a lovely one-note repetitive game for casuals. Although the music is pretty catchy.

Wait a minute. What would the precursor to Super Mario Brothers be in this particular reality? Just wondering.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bubsy.

What could possibly go wrong?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ducktales I'll give you, the arcade games are a gray area as their appeal was an experience you couldn't get at home and their ports typically disappointed. Of all those only Goonies 2 did anything to differentiate itself from a cookie cutter sidescroller pushed out the door to profit off dumb children, and it was still bad. Someone out there wants to defend the god awful Cool Spot and Aladdin games I'll just leave them to finish their Let's Play of Yo Noid.

Crappy Jack posted:

Sarcastic or not, this is exactly right. Rose-tinted glasses.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

revolther posted:

Ducktales I'll give you, the arcade games are a gray area as their appeal was an experience you couldn't get at home and their ports typically disappointed. Of all those only Goonies 2 did anything to differentiate itself from a cookie cutter sidescroller pushed out the door to profit off dumb children, and it was still bad. Someone out there wants to defend the god awful Cool Spot and Aladdin games I'll just leave them to finish their Let's Play of Yo Noid.
Sarcastic or not, this is exactly right. Rose-tinted glasses.

Aladdin was the poo poo on both consoles and cool spot was a solid platformer. Chip and dale and darkwing duck were excellent games as well. I don't know what to tell you.

Quackshot was amazing too and not cookie cutter at all.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

It's not rose tinted glasses, it's choosing to hold them to the standards of the time in which they were released instead of now. Because they didn't come out now.

"Things have gotten better since" is not an indictment of old games, and cinematic cutscenes are not a required component of fun.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ive been playing through some old classics since I lost all my save data recently. Mainly Dishonored and Red Dead Redemption. Gonna miss that Persona 3 and Dark Souls save though :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dross posted:

It's not rose tinted glasses, it's choosing to hold them to the standards of the time in which they were released instead of now. Because they didn't come out now.

"Things have gotten better since" is not an indictment of old games, and cinematic cutscenes are not a required component of fun.

Yeah, this was the point I was trying to make. Nor was I saying that Super Mario Brothers is or is not a bad game, just that perceptions of what's good and bad can vary. Not playing a game because, oh, let's say something like a low filesize is stupidity on par with refusing to watch a movie because it's not in color. Which is, again, not to say that all black and white movies were good. There were so many absolutely lovely pieces of work committed to film back in the day, and yet at the same time, you'd get the occasional Casablanca out of it.

Also, you say cookie cutter sidescroller pushed out the door to profit off dumb children, and I say attempt to improve on proven successes in order to capitalize on consumer interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Crappy Jack posted:

Most paintings before oil paints were pretty much all terrible, we just didn't know any better. If neolithic cave art came out today as nostalgic underground hand-stencils using blown pigments, they'd be laughed out of the room as a lovely elementary school paint smears for babies. Although making them is pretty fun.

edit (I agree with the concept, i just think your example is hilarious)

Sally fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 25, 2015

• Locked thread