Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

Being comparable to Thomas Robinson is probably not exactly a positive from an NBA perspective.

I know but TRob went 5. I'm just saying he probably will go lottery if he waits a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

roundmidnight posted:

Is Kaminsky going in the lottery? I mean he seems to be an incredible college player but I have no idea how to project him in the NBA because I don't watch much college ball. He seemed to come out of nowhere last year.

He won't go lottery unless someone is really desperate for shooting (there is not much of it in this class outside RJ Hunter), but he'll go in the first round. Someone will try to turn him into Channing Frye.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Based on current standings, Philly own the 1st & 15th picks and 5(!) 2nd rounders this draft.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Smorgasbord posted:

Based on current standings, Philly own the 1st & 15th picks and 5(!) 2nd rounders this draft.

76ers also have 20 draft picks between now and 2020.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

roundmidnight posted:

Is Kaminsky going in the lottery? I mean he seems to be an incredible college player but I have no idea how to project him in the NBA because I don't watch much college ball. He seemed to come out of nowhere last year.

I'm really curious to see if he makes the transition to the NBA properly. He just seems so slow on court, and trying to imagine him playing at breakneck NBA speeds just isn't possible for me.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Smorgasbord posted:

Sixers have two 1st rounders this year? Cool. Where did the 15th overall come from?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

DOOP posted:

Sixers have two 1st rounders this year? Cool. Where did the 15th overall come from?

'2015 first round draft pick from Miami
Miami's 1st round pick to Philadelphia (via Cleveland) protected for selections 1-10 in 2015 and 1-10 in 2016 and unprotected in 2017 [Cleveland-Miami, 7/9/2010; Cleveland-Minnesota-Philadelphia, 8/23/2014
Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#Puijw6tpURrGKVUM.99'

Must've been the Kevin Love trade where they sent out Thad Williams Young.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 1, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thad young. Dumb trade by Minnesota.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

We also dumped the Shved and Mbah A moute contracts in that trade

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers just got a second round pick for Shved.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

IcePhoenix posted:

We also dumped the Shved and Mbah A moute contracts in that trade

:toot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

Oh yeah. I don't expect the Miami pick to remain at 15 (or higher), but I hope it does

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DOOP posted:

Oh yeah. I don't expect the Miami pick to remain at 15 (or higher), but I hope it does

It's top 10 protected so you know, not too much higher

I assume the Sixers are going to sell at least one if not more of those picks and trade them down the line for future seconds and/or marginal veterans from teams trying to shed salary.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

My latest draft crush is :h::h::h:Tyrone Wallace:h::h::h: from Cal

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Reddit is going nuts over a dunk by that kid from Kansas in which he just sort of lowers his shoulder into a guy and then dunks, the Shaq Special. I've seen very little of the guy but he doesn't look like he has much basketball ability. He is a really good athlete but other than that I haven't seen him do a single thing. Is that accurate at all?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
He's a work in progress and needs another year, but to say he has very little actual ability is overstating it.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

yeah that's better than anything I could say

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GERXqp8U9JE

?

I think he's been dropping in draft projections for a while now, no?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cliff does some things very well and some things not so well. He'll be a late first rounder if he jumps but I bet a lottery pick next year if he stays. He just dominated high school competition but needs to work on footwork and post moves and the little things because he doesn't know how to get shots off against guys who have greater length than him (see KU/UK debacle) yet and the NBA is full of those guys.

Every game though we see many sparks of potential. Like that dunk or a monster block. He has a decent jumper, everybody is always surprised by that.

Chad Ford posted:

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 15 | PLAYER CARD
Cliff Alexander
COLLEGE: Kansas
DOB: 11/16/1995
CLASS: Frosh
HT: 6-8
WT: 251
POS: PF
College Team - 2305
PPG 8.2
RPG 5.4
BPG 1.4
Alexander continues to be an effective energy guy coming off the bench. He took the most shots of his career on Sunday against UNLV and went 5-for-12 from the field for 10 points and five rebounds in 21 minutes. Alexander clearly has an NBA body and terrific athleticism and motor, but his basketball skills are lagging, and once again we saw him struggle a bit against the length of Goodluck Okonoboh and Christian Wood in the UNLV game. At this point, he's moving out of the lottery conversation and looks like he might be better off playing at least one more season at Kansas to polish his skills. Nevertheless, it's a long season and as Oubre proved, things can turn around quickly when the right opportunities come along.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Caris Levert out for the rest of the season.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Caris Levert out for the rest of the season.

Probably doesn't affect his stock too too much. I'd keep an eye on Zak Irvin who's going to be receiving a ton of touches (not that he wasn't getting a decent workload to begin with). There's also Aubrey Dawkins who I thiiiink got promoted to the starting lineup but he's probably a marginal prospect at best (at a glance it looks like he can shoot). Please feel free to quote that when he starts dropping 30 a game.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Kevon Looney is awful, and is DraftExpress' No. 11-ranked draft-eligible player. I can't reconcile this.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03T4HYI_BGY
good friendship and holy cow post spins

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

EvanTH posted:

Got a little Jamison to his post game - spinning weakside into the defender that makes sense - which i like.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Kevon Looney is awful, and is DraftExpress' No. 11-ranked draft-eligible player. I can't reconcile this.

He's actually ninth, and he's shortlisted for the Wayman Tisdale Memorial Good Player and Smooth Jazz Bassist Award or w/e

He rebounds really well and gets to the line at a pretty good clip. They're probably looking at him and thinking "yet another small rebounder/garbageman" which is a surprisingly successful mold in the NBA

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Part of the reason Looney is ranked where he is is that he was considered a better shooter out of high school.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

EvanTH posted:

I like this video only because the poster thought that a combined 36/9 was worth two exclamation points.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Looks like Robert Upshaw just got a lot cheaper

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Benne posted:

Larry Sanders 2.0

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
D'angelo Russel is good fun to watch. How many crafty floaters can one man make per game?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Benne posted:

Sounds like he is going to join the D-League, which actually might make him look better.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

D'angelo Russel is good fun to watch. How many crafty floaters can one man make per game?

Yeah he's pretty awesome. He can hit threes too. I don't see the point guard thing at all, but he's the best guard in the draft that I've actually seen play (which would exclude Muiday)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Yeah he's pretty awesome. He can hit threes too. I don't see the point guard thing at all, but he's the best guard in the draft that I've actually seen play (which would exclude Muiday)

I agree. Every sg under 6'6 seems to get that pg/sg designation. Way too many of his passes bounce off of his bigs' hands. You could blame that on them, but a real point guard would probably figure out where his bigs could catch balls. He ignores his teammates to go for his own shot a lot too.

I've watched a few cba streams for Mudiay. He's really athletic, he's really raw, when everything clicks he looks awesome but he also misses layups and throws passes to no one.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

I agree. Every sg under 6'6 seems to get that pg/sg designation. Way too many of his passes bounce off of his bigs' hands. You could blame that on them, but a real point guard would probably figure out where his bigs could catch balls. He ignores his teammates to go for his own shot a lot too.

Some of it is that, but a lot of it is that there are basically no good point guards in this draft other than Mudiay so teams are looking at him as one out of desperation.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some UK fans were spreading the rumor that Towns may stay for another year (based on probably bullshit Zimmerman rumors that UK slid to 3rd on his recruiting list). If that happens this draft will become real interesting, especially if Philly gets the #1 pick.

I could see them trading that pick. The Lakers, for example, might mortgage their future to get Okafor considering the Kobe situation.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kiimo posted:

Some UK fans were spreading the rumor that Towns may stay for another year (based on probably bullshit Zimmerman rumors that UK slid to 3rd on his recruiting list). If that happens this draft will become real interesting, especially if Philly gets the #1 pick.

I could see them trading that pick. The Lakers, for example, might mortgage their future to get Okafor considering the Kobe situation.

I haven't heard this but I have no idea why he would. Isn't he the top rated pro player on the roster? Or is that WCS? I don't follow the draft too much. I once called Schroeder "a random euro dude" and look what that has gotten me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

I haven't heard this but I have no idea why he would. Isn't he the top rated pro player on the roster? Or is that WCS? I don't follow the draft too much. I once called Schroeder "a random euro dude" and look what that has gotten me.

It's Towns by a pretty decent margin. WCS has played his way into Top 10 contention, but Towns is going to be at worst like the third guy off the board unless something crazy happens. He's not going to stay. At some point people will write a story about every good underclassman college player "considering staying another year" no matter how stupid and absurd it is. Wiggins and especially Parker both got it last year.

Staying another year would just hurt him because Kentucky is never going to showcase him (especially if the Harrison twins are still on the roster and starting) and if you're getting drafted mostly on potential you need to get out as fast as possible before people start picking apart all the stuff you don't do. Which in his case is pretty much everything aside from rebound and block shots.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 28, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's weird because Cliff Alexander is averaging almost identical points and rebounds as Towns but everyone is saying he'll improve in the draft with another year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Towns is way bigger and already flashes the ability to be an elite rim protector, which is really the primary thing most NBA teams want from their center these days. Plus he's competing with other highly regarded bigs for rebounds and between the hockey line shift bullshit they do and having to play a ton of minutes with a homeless man's dion waiters running the point he's not really showcased very well offensively. He was supposed to have had a much more well rounded game in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Yeah, comparing Alexander's stats with Towns' isn't a fair comparison. I do think Alexander is getting a bit of the short shrift and isn't as raw as some people making him out to be, but he'll be late first round if he goes this year when he could be a lottery pick the next. It's not often that Self post players regress as the years go by, and he's likely to have more of a role and more of a bolstered portfolio because of it.

• Locked thread