Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Contra Duck posted:

"OK so what we need next is three symbols on the bottom that are so confusing and inscrutable that no one will have any idea what they mean until they press them."

*beep* sharing arousal information with contacts

wait whatno

*boop* sharing arousal information with parents

that's not what I wanted app

*borrrrp* go take a look at our times square video screen lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I would have no problem w bikers if they werent insufferable bout the fact they bike.

naem
May 29, 2011

thathonkey posted:

I would have no problem w bikers if they werent insufferable bout the fact they bike.

Like there are bike lanes and it's easy and lots of people do it, but it gets a lot of hate if mentioned ever here

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

They are also burning cash like crazy for special discount offers in order to kill the competition.

this is an incredibly stupid thing to try and do unless you have ridiculous amounts of cash and/or the target industry is very small and niche

from a business standpoint

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

this is an incredibly stupid thing to try and do unless you have ridiculous amounts of cash and/or the target industry is very small and niche

high profile startups like Uber attract so much VC money turning a profit or burning money doesn't matter.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

naem posted:

Rode my bike to work next to a guy on an electric skateboard today

You gonna see him again?

naem
May 29, 2011

revmoo posted:

You gonna see him again?

What

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

naem posted:

Like there are bike lanes and it's easy and lots of people do it, but it gets a lot of hate if mentioned ever here

a lot of cities dont have bike lanes for poo poo and have to play roulette with passing vehicles on whether they kill you or not

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Moridin920 posted:

No amount of cash can make Uber's monopolization attempt work. Transportation is a very-close-to-perfect-competition industry and the Uber, Lyft, etc. business model has very low switching costs for both suppliers and customers. They're going to run out of money for subsidies sooner or later. I guess Uber is hoping that Lyft runs out of money first, dies, and then Uber can jack up the rates, but that just gives an opportunity for Lyft2.

naem
May 29, 2011

SaltLick posted:

a lot of cities dont have bike lanes for poo poo and have to play roulette with passing vehicles on whether they kill you or not

We have to dodge certain death here too but it's in a big, well defined bike lane painted in bright colors so at least your corpse will stand out

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sincx posted:

No amount of cash can make Uber's monopolization attempt work. Transportation is a very-close-to-perfect-competition industry and the Uber, Lyft, etc. business model has very low switching costs for both suppliers and customers. They're going to run out of money for subsidies sooner or later. I guess Uber is hoping that Lyft runs out of money first, dies, and then Uber can jack up the rates, but that just gives an opportunity for Lyft2.

Especially since despite bragging about real innovation startups tend to suffer from me too syndrome.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

naem posted:

^pro-bike douche spotted

hahahhahahah if you think most places have bike lanes. those that do, like my city, have them on only a few major roads so I'm not exactly sure how that is helpful but regardless they are commonly used as a temporary/de facto turn lanes for cars that need to get around some obstruction in their main lanes. In short, nobody has any interest in sharing the road with bikers for a whole host of legit reasons. gently caress the share the road movement. gently caress bikers. It's good exercise but gtfo out of my city before one of you dumb privileged assholes pulls out illegally in front of my car and gets mangled and I am the one who has to pay all your medical bills and look like a piece of poo poo (this has happened numerous times before luckily with no accident because I am in a car with real brakes and the alertness which [cannot be taught btw] of someone with years of real driving experience on city roads so I'd always see it coming and stopped in time. Joggers are notorious for doing this but at least they're using the proper city infrastructure to do their obnoxious look-at-me exercise routine that could just as easily be done outside of the city or inside of a gym if you must).

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 27, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

thathonkey posted:

^pro-bike douche spotted

hahahhahahah if you think most places have bike lanes. those that do, like my city, have them on only a few major roads so I'm not exactly sure how that is helpful but regardless they are commonly used as a temporary/de facto turn lanes for cars that need to get around some obstruction in their main lanes. In short, nobody has any interest in sharing the road with bikers for a whole host of legit reasons. gently caress the share the road movement. gently caress bikers. It's good exercise but gtfo out of my city before one of you dumb privileged assholes pulls out illegally in front of my car and gets mangled and I am the one who has to pay all your medical bills and look like a piece of poo poo (this has happened numerous times before luckily with no accident because I am in a car with real brakes and the alertness which [cannot be taught btw] of someone with years of real driving experience on city roads so I'd always see it coming and stopped in time. Joggers are notorious for doing this but at least they're using the proper city infrastructure to do their obnoxious look-at-me exercise routine that could just as easily be done outside of the city or inside of a gym if you must).
lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kobayashi posted:

Finally, an app that'll help me figure out who keeps giving me that raging boner.

pplkpr

It's called pplkpr

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

thathonkey posted:

privileged

haha oh wow, bike riders privileged over car owners. what a country

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

thathonkey posted:

I'm super important and if I hit someone my primary concern is my loss of social status

You know I actually considered driving for Uber, even though I don't have a new enough car. Then I read about the insurance thing and welp I'm good. I've driven professionally before and I know that no matter how carefully you drive eventually you are going to get hit, hit someone, or someone is going to fall down getting into/out of your vehicle. It's a statistical certainty. My insurance is dirt-cheap since I have old cars and a spotless record, last thing I need is putting a ton of uncompensated wear on my vehicle trying to pull a fast one on my insurance company. I don't like lying and I'd hate to get sued and trying to work things out with my insurance company.

Also, a gem from James Altucher Influencer, Entrepreneur, Started & sold several cos, Author 11 books (latest "The Power of No") , Angel Inv., :

7 Myths About Making Money

First line of the article:

quote:

Last night, about two feet from me they were having sex. I know this because, using the scientific method, I cupped a glass against the wall, put my ear against it, and listened.

quote:

I was storing everyone's password who ever logged into the site so I looked up his. I decided to check and see if he used the same password for his email.

He did.

I logged into his account and read all of his emails. He had a few girlfriends. They didn't know about each other. He had problems with his father, who was the CEO of a big company. They don't speak anymore but "one day I'm going to get that money".

quote:

The average multi-millionaire has at least seven different sources of income. You can't have seven full time jobs. A "source of income" takes up much less time than a boss paying you to sit in a chair.

So, do the opposite of focus. Try to help people in many different ways. Then many different types of payment will come your way.

Be patient with yourself while this is happening. The path to calm starts with being gentle to yourself.

quote:

"Personal brands" have been the latest fashion. "Branding" used to be ok with corporations. A Coca-Cola bottle really does have sexy curves. That's a brand.

Real branding is when a farmer buys a cow.

He then puts an iron rod in fire until the metal shape at the end of the iron rod is orange hot. He then sticks it onto the side of the cow while the cow is chained down until the metal shape is permanently in the side of the cow.

Everyone seems so eager to brand themselves. Instead, here's a better idea: You be the iron rod. Get red hot. Leave your mark on the planet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hackbunny posted:

GET A CAR LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HIPPIE

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Sorry but pplkpr seems to be some sort of art project commenting on this phenomenon

"pplkpr was created by Lauren McCarthy and Kyle McDonald to explore the implications of quantified living for relationships. Who owns the data created between two people, what if it is captured and used? What if algorithms could understand our relationships and make better interpersonal decisions than we can ourselves?"

"Is this a real app or an art project?
It is both. It is a fully functioning app based on scientific research. We are two artists that created it as a provocation, a taste of where we may be heading with our quantified living and algorithmic decision making. It relates to some previous projects we’ve made like us+, Social Turkers, and Conversnitch. We hope that seeing and trying the app will enable people to think critically about this future and speak out about what we do and don't want to manifest."

It is kind of a like a scifi novel but in app form. Though i am sure if someone wanted to throw a few millions in VC their way they wouldn't mind trying to make it a real product.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Why This CEO Will Never Hire Another Salesperson

not the same dude as above

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

His picture at the bottom sells it

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

thathonkey posted:

^pro-bike douche spotted

sup fatty

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
/\/\/\ i bike all the time just not in the city because im not a complete fuckhead. It is way more fun that way. Also im a skinny piece of poo poo so now you can at least get ur weak insults correct son

hackbunny posted:

Your avg bike enthusiast is actually pretty privileged have you ever met one? Theyre always white and from wealthy families and almost always own cars also.

Non-privileged bikers in cities are 100% homeless/bums/junkies riding stolen gear out of necessity hth

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 27, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

thathonkey posted:

Your avg bike enthusiast is actually pretty privileged have you ever met one? Theyre always white and from wealthy families and almost always own cars also.

I've seen some spandex wearing bike enthusiast blow through a yield sign and zoom in between a line of people already in the cross-walk and then yelled at them to look both ways. For all their bitching about how drivers need to be aware of them, respect them, and look out for them, they give zero fucks about pedestrians

Bike enthusiasts are the worst, and yeah enthusiast bikes and equipment are really expensive. This isn't the Schwinn poo poo you get at Walmart. Your bike enthusiast is the same type of person that dumps a ton of money into rock climbing, hiking, backpacking, and other outdoorsey stuff

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I just don't like it when some spandex-wearing wanker is riding on a rural highway

go find a bike trail, jerk

I can understand it in the city more, unless they're obviously out for a pleasure ride in the aforementioned spandex on a 4,000$ bike

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
All car drivers obey all rules at all times, they never do anything stupid or risky, endanger anyone or cause accidents. Cars are perfection, pour petrol down my throat while i gently caress the exhaust to heaven.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Almost everyone is a poor to terrible driver...but everyone drives so stay with the flock instead of being a jerk.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Uncle Enzo posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that started hearing this in my head as soon as I saw that picture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-nuV36fvgQ

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

As the last generation on earth that will talk to a living breathing human being I can't wait to slap the soylent out of my autistic child's hands, interrupting his conversation with his fake girlfriend

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

jesus loving christ this guy has to be the most obnoxious writer ever, evrery single line is cringeworthy as gently caress and makes me wanna punch him

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

thathonkey posted:

^pro-bike douche spotted

you're a really bad driver if a bike is enough to throw you off

e:

Uncle Enzo posted:

I actually agree, salespeople suck

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I think a good rule would be to not talk about bikes itt because that's not relevant cool.

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm picturing a lone bicycle peddling calmly down a bike lane and cars just skidding off the road, hitting each other, mass pandemonium in his wake

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

naem posted:

I'm picturing a lone bicycle peddling calmly down a bike lane and cars just skidding off the road, hitting each other, mass pandemonium in his wake

Your example is hyperbole but this actually does kinda happen in cities with poor bike infrastructure/low ridership

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

naem posted:

A majestic pair of shades floats down from the heavens. The bass drops. The Youtube video uploads itself. All Is Right With The World.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Good now that we've all agreed bike enthusiasts are insufferable, pretentious assholes who will immediately cling to something about fitness as their primary (and only) defense mechanism when called out as such. Let's get back to something important that needs hacking: sleep.

Lunasleep.com

Time to disrupt the gently caress out of the mattress industry. Eat your heart out, sleep number!

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 27, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We already knew bikers were insufferable when that stupid less efficient fart bike was even considered and designed

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
cycling in Europe is cool good and practical in most major cities.

Cycling in the USA is loving scary because everything is a gently caress ton bigger, the cars, the roads... its not a fun experience. I am a seasoned cyclist and going the six or so blocks from 101 and broadway to Central Park in NYC felt like I was taking my life very much in my hands.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

thathonkey posted:

Good now that we've all agreed bike enthusiasts are insufferable, pretentious assholes who will immediately cling to something about fitness as their primary (and only) defense mechanism when called out as such. Let's get back to something important that needs hacking: sleep.

Lunasleep.com

Time to disrupt the gently caress out of the mattress industry. Eat your heart out, sleep number!

What?! It doesn't automatically clean up the mess when I make my fake girlfriend squirt all over the place?

So much for "smart" :rolleyes:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

thathonkey posted:

Lunasleep.com

A mattress is actually probably the best thing you could use to track sleep patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WhyteRyce posted:

I've seen some spandex wearing bike enthusiast blow through a yield sign and zoom in between a line of people already in the cross-walk and then yelled at them to look both ways. For all their bitching about how drivers need to be aware of them, respect them, and look out for them, they give zero fucks about pedestrians

hmm do motorcyclists look down on cyclists? if so, this would complete the pecking order of semi-truck -> car -> motorcycle -> bike -> pedestrian

everyone above your level, you hate them and want them to die. everyeone below, you hate them and abuse them with impunity

• Locked thread