Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fiveace Attorney posted:

I watched Wrestle Kingdom 9 which was of course incredible, and I remember seeing a few guys kick out at 1 on people's finishers (I think they were their finishers). What are some other examples of this happening in US wrestling? All I can think of is Brock kicking out of the AA at 1 and I seem to remember Hogan doing it (Undertaker? Earthquake? Someone).

Eddie Kingston kicking out of Mike Quackenbush's finisher at High Noon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ITy514MRjo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I think part of the question is where the "turn" comes in. I guess it's really just a coincidence owning to the awful English language having so many homonyms. Maybe for Jetfire the expected meaning for "turn" was "change of direction" instead of "X transforms into Y" (because he was primed from reading something about fashion) and that caused the confusion, because a heel changing direction to become a face is weird, though it still kind of works.

Yeah, it's just weird seeing such a specific phrase as face and/or heel turn in a different context. In this case, it's literal, too! Part of me wonders whether the term came from the same or similar origins of theatrics and stage direction, or whether one morphed from the other way back in the mists of time. But I'm probably fussing about it way more than needed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fiveace Attorney posted:

I watched Wrestle Kingdom 9 which was of course incredible, and I remember seeing a few guys kick out at 1 on people's finishers (I think they were their finishers). What are some other examples of this happening in US wrestling? All I can think of is Brock kicking out of the AA at 1 and I seem to remember Hogan doing it (Undertaker? Earthquake? Someone).
Somewhat infamously, Warrior completely no-sold the Pedigree. Just popped back up.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Austin no-sold Billy Gunn's Fameasser during the '01 Rumble, if I recall correctly. Not a kickout obviously but he just got almost straight back up and threw Gunn out.

e: not a *complete* no sell but still:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9skj0sm3Xgs&t=3595s

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 25, 2015

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

St Evan Echoes posted:

Austin no-sold Billy Gunn's Fameasser during the '01 Rumble, if I recall correctly. Not a kickout obviously but he just got almost straight back up and threw Gunn out.

e: not a *complete* no sell but still:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9skj0sm3Xgs&t=3595s

Rocky selling that stunner like he was shot.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

natetimm posted:

Rocky selling that stunner like he was shot.

Austin mentioned on one of his podcasts that he was always excited to see what over-the-top sell Rock would do when he got stunnered.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
rumble question: what rumble do I watch after this travesty so that I don't go to bed being irrationally mad at fake punchsports?

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

LvK posted:

rumble question: what rumble do I watch after this travesty so that I don't go to bed being irrationally mad at fake punchsports?

E: The whole card, not just the Rumble. It's the bestestest.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 26, 2015

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
False alarm I'm just gonna watch Lucha Underground

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

LvK posted:

That or ROH TV are better ways to restore your faith in prograpples.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LvK posted:

Aztec Warfare would probably be an acceptable Rumble-ternative, from what I gather.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Aztec Warfare would probably be an acceptable Rumble-ternative, from what I gather.

I loved Aztec Warfare because it was the Firepro-style Battle Royal (pinfall, KO or submission) rather than over the top. It helped that it was exceedingly well booked.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Okay, just so we're clear.

It is impossible for Vince to be forced out of his position because he has arranged it that he always has a majority of stock, correct? The board of directors and Triple H and stuff cannot unite their shares and force him out, and since Vince is never going to retire, he's going to be in charge of WWE until he dies. There is absolutely no way for him to be fired. Correct? That's the situation?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cornwind Evil posted:

It is impossible for Vince to be forced out of his position because he has arranged it that he always has a majority of stock, correct? The board of directors and Triple H and stuff cannot unite their shares and force him out, and since Vince is never going to retire, he's going to be in charge of WWE until he dies. There is absolutely no way for him to be fired. Correct? That's the situation?

Basically

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Cornwind Evil posted:

The McMahons (mainly Vince) have almost all the Class B stock which is weighted 10x the amount of the Class A stock available on the marketplace. I don't know if he's at 51% or not, but when it's been brought up in the past, Dave Meltzer/Bryan Alvarez shot down that idea immediately because he has so many shares.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The McMahons (mainly Vince) have almost all the Class B stock which is weighted 10x the amount of the Class A stock available on the marketplace. I don't know if he's at 51% or not, but when it's been brought up in the past, Dave Meltzer/Bryan Alvarez shot down that idea immediately because he has so many shares.

The only way Vince is leaving is if he A) dies or B) gets hit with anti-trust or some other lawsuit

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The last time he was in danger of losing the company was during the steroid trials, and he went so far as to start delegating his work out and grooming others to take over.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
That and someone/s would have to have Vince declared mentally incapable of doing his job and fuckin' lollolololololololloolololool have fun with that plan!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also you'd need to wrest control from the family because nobody in it has any idea what they're doing either

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I think he controls over 70% of the stock.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The last time he was in danger of losing the company was during the steroid trials, and he went so far as to start delegating his work out and grooming others to take over.

He literally called up Jerry Jarrett and offered him the book while he was in jail in case he went down in the steroid trials. I couldn't think of him doing anything like that these days without dropping dead.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Will Disco Inferno ever beat the poo poo out of Fandango like everyone wants?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Fandango is like 10x the wrestler that Disco Inferno is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Not only that, a better talker. Plus, he's a not a toady for Vince Russo. Jesus Disco, of all the people to hitch yer wagon to.....

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Fandango has the greatest flying legdrop ever and it's going to land him in a hospital for rear end replacement surgery.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yes but I love one of them and hate the other

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Dirtbag" Johnny Curtis is the reason I can never hate Fandango. I still see bits of that character when he promos, because Fandango's portrayed as a creepy weirdo who also happens to be a dancer.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
why is the inverted atomic drop not a dq for bustin' balls

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

groin strike not a ball strike

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

NickRoweFillea posted:

the same reason you can't hit someone with an object, but you can hit an object with someone

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Luigi Thirty posted:

groin strike not a ball strike

ah.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

NickRoweFillea posted:

It amazes me that the original atomic drop not only didn't involve falling on the knee, but was considered a finisher. Yes, the idea of picking someone up and slamming them down on their feet as hard as possible was considered a finisher, under the basis of it induced jellylegs and hence people could be held down for a pin.

In the era of Murder Backdrops and Tiger Driver 91's (and worse).....astonishing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If that amazes you, well, a simple elbow drop, knee drop, head butt, elbow strike, dropkick, kneelift--all of these were somebody's finisher at one time.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

I'm watching Rise and Fall of ECW right now and they mentioned ECW having the first triple threat match, in 1994. That can't be true, is it? The 70s, 80s, and 90-94, and no one thought of 3 dudes wrestling? Or is Heyman "adjusting" the truth again?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saints Crow posted:

I'm watching Rise and Fall of ECW right now and they mentioned ECW having the first triple threat match, in 1994. That can't be true, is it? The 70s, 80s, and 90-94, and no one thought of 3 dudes wrestling? Or is Heyman "adjusting" the truth again?

Smoky Mountain Wrestling did one a year or two earlier. There may have been earlier triple threats but I'm not really aware of them. It's weird because ladder matches date back to the 70s and scaffold matches date back to the 60s. It seems like you'd be able to find a concrete example of "three dudes" before "let's wrestle on a scaffold."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
ECW at the very least popularized the "three way dance" match, which is just a fancy way to say triple threat elimination.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

It is something that seems obvious. I think there had even been triple tag team matches.

I do love Heyman claiming Sandman pretending to be blinded and staying in his house and not answering his own door was "further than anyone had gone for living the storyline" in a world where The Sheik threw fireballs at fans who recognize d him on the street.

And Bubba claiming he and Devon invented flaming tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cornwind Evil posted:

It amazes me that the original atomic drop not only didn't involve falling on the knee, but was considered a finisher. Yes, the idea of picking someone up and slamming them down on their feet as hard as possible was considered a finisher, under the basis of it induced jellylegs and hence people could be held down for a pin.

In the era of Murder Backdrops and Tiger Driver 91's (and worse).....astonishing.

I'm pretty sure you drop them butt first on your knee, thus shattering their spine