Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Chichevache posted:

My helmet and over pants are fine. What did you have trouble with?

I'm curious as well. Also, does Icon still carry the squid-stigma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not to be a hater, but everything Icon I've had I've been really disappointed by from a build quality perspective.

I'm happy with my Airmada helmet, I've ridden with it daily for about a year and a half and it's comparable to the EXO700 it replaced.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm curious as well. Also, does Icon still carry the squid-stigma?

Some of their poo poo is flashy style over function nonsense (combat vest :lol:). For the most part, they're a good American brand that has a decent balance of price and quality. Nice styling as well. Not everything is great though, so do some research. I'm still breaking in the boots I just got from them, but I'll post a review when I have a firm opinion.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slavvy posted:

I've never handled an Icon of any kind but I've seen/worn the S700 and I wasn't particularly impressed.

I really like my S700S.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've never handled an Icon of any kind but I've seen/worn the S700 and I wasn't particularly impressed.

The S700 is really good for the money, but it's still a cheap helmet, and it's noisy as hell compared to the AGVs I used before. If it fits you and you don't mind needing earplugs even at relatively low speed I'd say go for it even despite that though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with motorcycle jeans? I'm looking to get some pants that I feel ok wearing in public if I ride my bike somewhere that I'm going to be for a little while and some of the jean options look appealing. It seems like the ones that look good cost a fortune though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Chichevache posted:

My helmet and over pants are fine. What did you have trouble with?

The belt cinch thing on my Overlord overpants came off after the second use, and the buckles on the Elsinore boots are made with lovely Chinese pot metal, the little nubs that hold the adjustment straps have broken off with no falls.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

rockcity posted:

Does anyone have any experience with motorcycle jeans? I'm looking to get some pants that I feel ok wearing in public if I ride my bike somewhere that I'm going to be for a little while and some of the jean options look appealing. It seems like the ones that look good cost a fortune though.

Dude or gal?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not to be a hater, but everything Icon I've had I've been really disappointed by from a build quality perspective.
My mom had an Icon jacket that she got rid of because it sucked like that.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rockcity posted:

I have a pair of kevlar khaki riding pants that ripped a little when I fell off of a dirt bike. I wear them riding on the street but doubt they'd really hold up and protect my skin if I was going highway speeds. Real riding pants are the best bet for protection, no one cares if you look like a space lord.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

hot sauce posted:

I have a pair of kevlar khaki riding pants that ripped a little when I fell off of a dirt bike. I wear them riding on the street but doubt they'd really hold up and protect my skin if I was going highway speeds. Real riding pants are the best bet for protection, no one cares if you look like a space lord.

Except for that inevitable old dude who's going to check out your rear end and start up an awkward conversation with you at a gas station/store/whatever.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

rockcity posted:

I'm assuming you're a dude as I don't think scorpion is making women sizes of this-

Keep an eye on reviews for these pants when they come out: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-covert-pro-jeans

I own a pair of Dainese Montana jeans which are nice, but I might upgrade to these when they come out. I had my eye on the Covert Jeans last year but these are a major step up in terms of coverage.

The thing with motorcycle jeans is most of them are "relaxed" dad jeans in a acid wash. Getting slim fitting riding jeans in a dark color is surprisingly tough. If that's important at all to you v:shobon:v

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Basically at least get jeans with armor in addition to kevlar. The spidi furious jeans are alright.

You could also get understated textile riding pants, there's plenty that don't look spacelordy.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I have a pair of http://www.rhok.com.au/jeans.htm in black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151432404301

Seem pretty well made to me. It's the only pair of lined jeans I've owned though.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

rockcity posted:

If you can stomach the price, these are amazing and have replaced any other pant for me. Even with d3o armor, off the bike they are comfortable enough to wear all day and are basically identical to a Levi's 501 in presentation.

The styling/wash is a bit 80s, but that's really the only negative thing I have to say about it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

tirinal posted:

If you can stomach the price, these are amazing and have replaced any other pant for me. Even with d3o armor, off the bike they are comfortable enough to wear all day and are basically identical to a Levi's 501 in presentation.

The styling/wash is a bit 80s, but that's really the only negative thing I have to say about it.

That's my problem with a lot of them is that they have horrible fading and washes. The best looking ones are probably from Maple, but those too are pretty pricey. I definitely want to get something with knee armor as people have noted. I might just have to find some plain looking textile ones.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The belt cinch thing on my Overlord overpants came off after the second use, and the buckles on the Elsinore boots are made with lovely Chinese pot metal, the little nubs that hold the adjustment straps have broken off with no falls.

That blows. My Overlord over pants (I had the ~$400 leather ones, bought on closeout) have held up in a small lowside plus a bunch of regular riding. Did you have the cheaper textile ones? Maybe it is a quality difference for the lower price points.

I currently have the Baja boots, I believe. They have similar leather straps to the Elsinore. I haven't noticed any trouble, yet, so hopefully they just improved the newer modeld.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Icon can be hit or miss with their gear quality because it's a Parts Unlimited brand and they will shuffle around what factory in China the gear is made at depending on cost. I think it's Pakistan for leather products.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So I've just ordered a pair of the Joe Rocket Burner gloves after doing a lot more thinking and deciding I really didn't want to be wired in. I will review them when I get them and start using them in the cold morning.

Review time.

First of all, the gloves are like ski gloves or something. No armor, black thinsulate, some leather in the fingers. Comfy though and with better dexterity than my tourmasters. They're hard to put on because the battery sits in the wrist, making it very difficult to grip the cuff and pull the gloves over your jacket.

However

They keep your hands toasty warm. Whether it's 25 degrees out and dry or 40 out and dumping buckets of rain (they're waterproof), your hands will be perfectly warm and happy in these gloves for hours at a time. I am very happy with them.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I also have a quality question... how are HJC helmets?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've been wearing an HJC IS17 for about a year now and I like it very much. It's very comfortable, the built in sun glasses are cool, and I've had no problems with it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

The lower-end ones seem pretty poos but the more expensive ones are right up there with AGV, Shark etc. All the ones I've handled seemed a little heavy but I think that's my shoei bias coming through.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

M42 posted:

I rode my face from about 35 to 0 wearing an HJC IS 16, rolled over and stood up. Barely a scratch on it other than the visor. A++ would continue uninterrupted consumption of solid food again.

Comparing it directly to the Shoei I wear now you can tell the obvious fit and finish differences, but, there's also the $400 difference. Still eating solid food.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

M42 posted:

I put two HJC CL-MAX II (modular) down and my head is a-ok.

First was around 30mph and the second was 55mph. The second helmet didn't get scratches like the first but the EPS liner was visible broken in multiple areas and the modular wouldn't lock on the left side anymore, the first didn't exhibit either any issues. I've been using the first one again since June. I do have a new Scorpion EXO-R710 coming in tomorrow though. :3

I did get whiplash after the second one, though I think that was from me thing to hold my head up from hitting the ground(as it hit the ground multiple times).

I personally trust their helmets after that and was ready to be a new, fullface helmet when the guy at Helmet Center said the Scorpion fit me better, and my friend swears by his Scorpion.

I would say that helmet is loud though. 1 because its modular and a cheaper helmet, 2 because the guy at Cycle Gear just shrugged his shoulders when I asked if it fit me right. It was apparently too big.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I have a Lazer helmet and I love the hell out of it. I had an HJC IS MAX before, and it was loud. Really loud. The Lazer has been so much nicer and quieter. I know, totally anecdotal, but definitely a big difference in quality.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I have a HJC Rhpa-10 and it's been good. Fit is nice and no wear to speak of on any of the moving bits or the liner after 20k km. It's a little loud though, but I ride with earplugs anyway.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Gear nerds I need your help. I need a new MX helmet. I have a Scorpion VX-34 in 2XL that doesn't fit great. It's good for ~2 hours and then anything beyond that starts giving me headaches/head pain.

I have an obscenely large head. I am also asian. So I need something that has more of an asian fit (less tapering towards the front of the face/jawline). For reference, my Shoei Neotec in XL fits perfectly (like flush fit perfect, wearing even an underarmor hood will cause discomfort after a while)

loving big head problems, yall.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Razzled posted:

Gear nerds I need your help. I need a new MX helmet. I have a Scorpion VX-34 in 2XL that doesn't fit great. It's good for ~2 hours and then anything beyond that starts giving me headaches/head pain.

I have an obscenely large head. I am also asian. So I need something that has more of an asian fit (less tapering towards the front of the face/jawline). For reference, my Shoei Neotec in XL fits perfectly (like flush fit perfect, wearing even an underarmor hood will cause discomfort after a while)

I've got the big loving head problems too. I use an AFX FX-39 in 2x and it fits great (Everything else is a 3x). They've got a new version out, the FX-41, but according to webbikeworld it doesn't run as huge in the 2x as the old one did.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I picked up an alpinestars mesh jacket in white/black/hi vis (I fcking love alpinestars current hi vis lineup.) It was the only one in my size and on clearance and the sleeves are pretty dirty on the white parts from being dropped around the store a bunch I'm sure.

How would you guys clean them up? Some mild detergent on a cloth?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Nitramster posted:

I picked up an alpinestars mesh jacket in white/black/hi vis (I fcking love alpinestars current hi vis lineup.) It was the only one in my size and on clearance and the sleeves are pretty dirty on the white parts from being dropped around the store a bunch I'm sure.

How would you guys clean them up? Some mild detergent on a cloth?

You can probably use gentle cycle in the washer with some really gentle detergent. (Ask your girlfriend or other lady in your life what she uses for her unmentionables and borrow/use that)

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

nitrogen posted:

(Ask your girlfriend or other lady in your life what she uses for her unmentionables and borrow/use that)

:negative:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I use Woolite (actually, the Target knock-off) for my tech gear.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yep, Woolite (or similar) is great for textiles. Just remember to take out any armor (if you can) and put it in a gentle cycle in the washer. If you put it in the dryer, just use fluff cycle or air dry or whatever. Don't use heat. Otherwise just hang it to dry.

I use TekWash which works great as well.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rubbing alcohol or vodka 50/50 mix with water in a spray bottle. If it cleans theater costumes well, it'll clean my lining.

Another gear question: how does alpinestars boot sizing compare to sidi? My sidi in 38 fits well in the toe box, but sidis have a stupidly roomy heel area, so the boot's too big for me... and there's a closeout on smx + in that size...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-vfx-w-krack-helmet
Does this count? They look pretty sweet.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Lynza posted:

I have a Lazer helmet and I love the hell out of it. I had an HJC IS MAX before, and it was loud. Really loud. The Lazer has been so much nicer and quieter. I know, totally anecdotal, but definitely a big difference in quality.

I have to second Lazer helmets. I had one when I very first started riding and it was incredibly quiet. I replaced it with a Bell Vortex because it was just a little too hot for south Texas. While I love my Vortex and it was incredibly cheap (79.99)... it is incredibly loud all the time and can't get a little tiring without ear plugs.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Did Scorpion discontinue the Exo-400? If so, is there another canonical go-to sub-$100 helmet that is pretty decent?

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006

alnilam posted:

Did Scorpion discontinue the Exo-400? If so, is there another canonical go-to sub-$100 helmet that is pretty decent?

This version of the Exo-500 is $79 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/62294/i/scorpion-exo-500-heritage-helmet
It's also the same price through Amazon with free shipping.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am riding a cruiser and due to gut size I need needed new gear, so I went to my local Cycle Gear store and got a Street & Steel jacket for $150. It's a race style jacket without all the fringe and crap, all black, it has vents a zip out liner and a half dozen pockets. Overall I am quite pleased with the jacket, unless someone can give,me a good reason not to like it. I also needed new boot so I went with a pair of Bilt boots, they were $60 and I saw no obvious flaws, for $60 I will be surprised if they last but at least they get me back on the bike. I also bought a pair of Street & Steel gauntlet style gloves for $60, I really like that they have snaps to tighten the cuff down.

I know my gear is cheap but I am quite pleased with Cycle Gear for starter gear and would like to hear other opinions of store.

Next I need a helmet, I don't think a full face would really look right on a cruiser bike, and I think it would be uncomfortable in the summer. I think I want a 3/4 open face helmet with a face shield like the hcg diesel but different. I haven't seen the diesel in person yet, but I don't like the HCG's two tone and I think they kinda made the ears bulge out more than necessary. I also think $220 is kinda a lot for a helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am riding a cruiser and due to gut size I need needed new gear, so I went to my local Cycle Gear store and got a Street & Steel jacket for $150. It's a race style jacket without all the fringe and crap, all black, it has vents a zip out liner and a half dozen pockets. Overall I am quite pleased with the jacket, unless someone can give,me a good reason not to like it. I also needed new boot so I went with a pair of Bilt boots, they were $60 and I saw no obvious flaws, for $60 I will be surprised if they last but at least they get me back on the bike. I also bought a pair of Street & Steel gauntlet style gloves for $60, I really like that they have snaps to tighten the cuff down.

I know my gear is cheap but I am quite pleased with Cycle Gear for starter gear and would like to hear other opinions of store.

Next I need a helmet, I don't think a full face would really look right on a cruiser bike, and I think it would be uncomfortable in the summer. I think I want a 3/4 open face helmet with a face shield like the hcg diesel but different. I haven't seen the diesel in person yet, but I don't like the HCG's two tone and I think they kinda made the ears bulge out more than necessary. I also think $220 is kinda a lot for a helmet.

The highest impact zone on a helmet is the chinbar. Don't sacrifice protection for looks. Most cruiser riders here in Phoenix don't wear full face, but the ones that do usually wear a mostly black helmet and I personally think that looks pretty cool on a cruiser. It might be uncomfortable in the summer, but I imagine reconstructive surgery on a lower jaw and then some is worse. I ride in Phoenix and it's not shy about going over 100 degrees and I still ride with a full face, always. Hot as hell, but stay hydrated and you'll be fine. As for price, from what I understand higher price = more comfort. As long as the helmet is DOT and SNELL how much you're willing to spend on comfort is up to you.

This helmet shows where a helmet is typically impacted in a crash:

Chinbar is the impacted zone 34.6% of the time.

Protect your noggin the best you can :).

As for Cycle Gear and their house brands, I don't have a huge opinion. I wasn't a fan of the BILT gear I bought. I think someone here works for Cycle Gear and said the gear is hit or miss, but with the 5year warranty you can replace anything that falls apart outside a crash.

In personal gear news, I bought the Scorpion EXO-R710 helmet and I really like it. It is kinda loud though unfortunately. I feel like a lot of this is from between the helmet and shoulders though. Anything you can do about this?