Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Hey devs, are you guys still here?

Hellohellohellohello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

Once again, the thread is the true game

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JerikTelorian posted:

Stable update is this week, according to their Twitter:
Well this is the last week of January, it would have to be!!?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

JerikTelorian posted:

Stable update is this week, according to their Twitter:

https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/status/560098020126392320

BULLSHIT!

I played little to no of the nightlies, so i really hope this was all worth it. Had a pretty high opinion of this game last december and i hopped on the hype train big time.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
It's just a stable update, they can do that.
It's not complete, finished, well made, fun or good. Just stable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Fargin Icehole posted:

BULLSHIT!

I played little to no of the nightlies, so i really hope this was all worth it. Had a pretty high opinion of this game last december and i hopped on the hype train big time.

the nightly build is very good, and quite pwnage

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just played the latest nightly and had a lot of fun, I only really felt like one mod was needed, and maybe a push to do the quests first, I got pretty frustrated getting one shotted (on a higher tier planet,) until I started doing the quests and going "oh I need armor." :downs:

The guns feel very impactful, even when you're just starting out, the only thing I think you should know to get you put on the right path is that "Core fragments" mean, "Fragments from the planet's core." not "Ship Core Fragments."

Also there is a really neat surprise once you fix the ship I won't ruin.

Battles are fun and I find myself trying to jump over enemies or duck them when they attack me then rush them / attack with my guns or spears.

Trade is pretty cool too, the refinery turns my poo poo into money (so I don't have to run around trying to find the guy to buy my ores,) and then I can buy a ton of cool poo poo from like 30 different merchants. There are a ton of quests too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got the energy dash tech, so now in fights, I'll dash away right before they hit me, then get back in their face to f*ck'em up with my big sword. I'm a novakid though, so I can also use it to create space while I blast them with the race specific guns I get that are powerful and fun to use.

Not being able to walk backwards grew on me because now I have to position myself properly. It's cool as hell.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

I just played the latest nightly and had a lot of fun, I only really felt like one mod was needed, and maybe a push to do the quests first, I got pretty frustrated getting one shotted (on a higher tier planet,) until I started doing the quests and going "oh I need armor." :downs:

The guns feel very impactful, even when you're just starting out, the only thing I think you should know to get you put on the right path is that "Core fragments" mean, "Fragments from the planet's core." not "Ship Core Fragments."

Also there is a really neat surprise once you fix the ship I won't ruin.

Battles are fun and I find myself trying to jump over enemies or duck them when they attack me then rush them / attack with my guns or spears.

Trade is pretty cool too, the refinery turns my poo poo into money (so I don't have to run around trying to find the guy to buy my ores,) and then I can buy a ton of cool poo poo from like 30 different merchants. There are a ton of quests too.

That last part is why I hope the do not go through with the recently mentioned intentions on making the refinery planet only, among all the other "We're going to improve the desire to build on planets by removing the ability to use certain things on your ship instead!". Aside from that, unless this is all a horrible lie it's very encouraging for when they shove out the stable :unsmith:

So... HOW much higher tier were the planets one shotting you? Please let the answer be "more than one", even when night falls or you are underground a ways.

quote:

There’s no reason to build on a planet

Currently there’s very little reason to settle on a planet, given the utility of the ship and the amount of space it has available to it on upgrading. We plan to remedy this in a number of different ways. Firstly, we’re going to add a planet bookmark/teleportation system. This will allow you to get directly from your ship to a base you’ve set up on a planet instantly and without travelling to that planet first. Next there will be utilities and crafting resources that won’t function on your ship and will require an on planet base. Finally there will be alternative progression paths that directly require buildings of various kinds. The nomadic nature of settling in your ship is directly in support of the combat/adventure progression path.

On the bright side, planet bookmarks, plural.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nice try turtlicious I'm not falling for this twice.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And I was able to install mods that weren't updated in like 3... 4? weeks, and they worked just fine so it seems like the mod restructuring crap is now gone. I would recommend playing with the glow ore mod though, because it makes mining a lot easier and let's you get back to being a super space adventurer / builder / trader / farmer / whatever the gently caress you want to be.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/illuminated-ores.2429/

E: It was one of those huge bosses on a planet that was "mostly harmless."

e2: Refinery can still be placed on ship.

e3: Looks like selling items isn't in yet.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 28, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Nice try turtlicious I'm not falling for this twice.

I'm not Bullshitting this time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

I'm not Bullshitting this time.

New thread title if the stable is at least passable?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Trip report: Starbound is still turd

What the gently caress is this boss, why are these enemies so loving tedious, why is everything so poo poo??

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Man gently caress it I have a job now I don't wanna update my mods

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Turtlicious posted:

Not being able to walk backwards grew on me because now I have to position myself properly. It's cool as hell.
You're a funny guy

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Section Z posted:

That last part is why I hope the do not go through with the recently mentioned intentions on making the refinery planet only, among all the other "We're going to improve the desire to build on planets by removing the ability to use certain things on your ship instead!".

They never said anything about the refinery, and what they say about planetside-only utilities was vague - I took it to mean that, rather than removing functionality to old things, they are going to be adding new ones. ("there will be utilities" makes it sound like they don't exist yet)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
note they also said being a ship nomad is a valid path so I don't expect the land only functionality to really effect stuff lIke crafting in major ways.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I could imagine stuff like renting out houses would work well

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

This is too meta for me.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Just like hit game Starbound can only go forwards, with updates coming thick and fast.

There's no going back on Starbound.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
61mb patch for unstable. :frogsiren:

Not the same patch as yesterday.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 28, 2015

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/status/560436898309898240

Has the chosen day finally arrived?!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm torn. Part of me wants Starbound to become good to justify the money I spent. Another part of me wants it to suck because it'd be funny.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motherfucker posted:

Trip report: Starbound is still turd

What the gently caress is this boss, why are these enemies so loving tedious, why is everything so poo poo??

I used my crafted weapons and was wrecking them, maybe you shouldn't be going in without armor and your beginner gear. You're supposed to either block the flying spit or dash through it, as it gives you i-frames.

Kind of like dark souls.

Have you considered gitting gud?

(I legit like this game. This update flipped me.)

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
The release will coincide with this thread's 500 page anniversary! :woop:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starbound - Terraria Souls in Space

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Making signs with scrolling naughty words to paste on my ships walls

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ahundredbux posted:

Making signs with scrolling naughty words to paste on my ships walls

Make a scrolling dickbutt.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Colonel J posted:

The release will coincide with this thread's 500 page anniversary! :woop:

Neither will ever happen

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Tiy lied. Mods died.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
God cried

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
http://playstarbound.com/hark-a-stable-update-v-upbeat-giraffe/

A list of junk that'll come with the patch. Hype train.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I am not sure exactly what they did but combat feels really fluid(?) now. It just kinda flows really naturally with attacks and dodges.

Cooties
Oct 31, 2012
So, is there still no way to bind a key to close storage containers? I haven't even bothered to loot places anymore because it is infuriating.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I am not sure exactly what they did but combat feels really fluid(?) now. It just kinda flows really naturally with attacks and dodges.

I think it's the movements techs, combined with the removal of "bump combat." The enemies have clear tells when they're attacking and dodging around helps keep it fast paced (or going for perfect blocks with your shield.) You also get right off already installed the Dash, the double jump, and the fall negator thing, so having those movement mods really help out as well.

e: when I compare this game to dark souls I'm not joking or being funny. There is a definite and clear skill ceiling and I get the same kind of like.. frustration high when I play against it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I was annoyed that picks get destroyed really fast now til I realized that on the ship you can upgrade the matter manipulator really early/easily after only a little bit of mining. I either missed that or they didn't point it out in a quest. Picks are now like a "mine an area really fast" kinda consumable but the MM is where it's at.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm not sure what's real anymore :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cooties posted:

So, is there still no way to bind a key to close storage containers? I haven't even bothered to loot places anymore because it is infuriating.

They added a keybind GUI but didn't include this one actually important thing. You can configure it somehow if you go through text files though.

Turtlicious posted:

I think it's the movements techs, combined with the removal of "bump combat." The enemies have clear tells when they're attacking and dodging around helps keep it fast paced (or going for perfect blocks with your shield.) You also get right off already installed the Dash, the double jump, and the fall negator thing, so having those movement mods really help out as well.

e: when I compare this game to dark souls I'm not joking or being funny. There is a definite and clear skill ceiling and I get the same kind of like.. frustration high when I play against it.

Wait do you actually start with those techs? I didn't even notice, that would help allay some of my concerns about the very start of the game being too slow.

• Locked thread