Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm gonna give it about 5 more mins until the obvious "Ratte" and "Monster" get posted.

And of course the famous Bob Semple:

*Edit -

What the poo poo is this?

Abongination fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm gonna give it about 5 more mins until the obvious "Ratte" and "Monster" get posted.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A ship made out of those would totally own the Ship of Shermans.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TildeATH posted:

A ship made out of those would totally own the Ship of Shermans.

This is dumb and makes me want to not effortpost anymore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what kind of tanks does Japan actually HAVE? Aren't they mostly just armored cars?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

So, what kind of tanks does Japan actually HAVE? Aren't they mostly just armored cars?

Japan had tankettes and tanks. The Type 95 Ha-Go was the most numerous type and gives you a pretty good idea of the light tanks the IJA fielded for most of the war. The Type 97 Chi-Ha was their version of a medium tank. They also had some interesting prototypes in the Type 4 Chi-To or the Type 5 Ke-Ho.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Fun fact: The first ever tank used by the Chinese PLA is still intact - it's a Japanese Type 97 Chi-Ha.

Unlike the endless circlejerk of 'German tanks> Allied tanks', Allied tanks were definitely better than Japanese tanks, which weren't really designed for tank on tank combat. While the 47mm gun of the Chi-Ha could penetrate the M3 Stuarts, it couldn't effectively penetrate the armor of the soon to be absolutely ubiquitous Sherman. Personally, if one of you tank spergs could do some googling on how the Japanese dealt with tanks during the Pacific war, I would be fascinated :allears:.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A White Guy posted:

Fun fact: The first ever tank used by the Chinese PLA is still intact - it's a Japanese Type 97 Chi-Ha.

Unlike the endless circlejerk of 'German tanks> Allied tanks', Allied tanks were definitely better than Japanese tanks, which weren't really designed for tank on tank combat. While the 47mm gun of the Chi-Ha could penetrate the M3 Stuarts, it couldn't effectively penetrate the armor of the soon to be absolutely ubiquitous Sherman. Personally, if one of you tank spergs could do some googling on how the Japanese dealt with tanks during the Pacific war, I would be fascinated :allears:.

A have a book or two on it actually... Not sure how accurate it is.

Edit:

Japanese Suicide Lunge Mine

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 28, 2015

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

A White Guy posted:

Personally, if one of you tank spergs could do some googling on how the Japanese dealt with tanks during the Pacific war, I would be fascinated :allears:.
To start with they didn't have to deal with tanks at all. The British and the US both thought tanks were unsuitable for jungle fighting and so the Type 95 had a mainly unopposed reign of terror through Malaysia and the Philippines.

The wikipedia page on the Type 95 Ha-Go is actually a decent potted history of tank warfare for the Japanese.

But you specifically asked for how the Japanese dealt with tanks during the pacific war and that is much more interesting:

The Lunge Mine e;fb

quote:

Perhaps the oddest of these antitank charges is the so-called "Lunge Mine" encountered on Leyte Island. This weapon—an armor-piercing charge on the end of a pole—derives its name from the way in which it must be thrust against the side of a tank in order to detonate.

The mine is an explosive-filled, sheet-steel cone, about 12 inches long and 8 inches in diameter at the base. As in all hollow charges, the cavity in the bottom of the cone tends to guide the force of the explosion out from the bottom of the cone and against the armor plate of the target. A metal sleeve extends from the top, or point end, of the cone and houses the simple firing device—a nail on the end of the broomstick-like handle which fits into the sleeve. The detonator is little more than an ordinary blasting cap set into the top of the cone, where the nail will strike the cap if the handle is jammed down in the sleeve. During transport, however, the handle is held immobile in the sleeve by a simple safety pin inserted through the sleeve and handle. A further safety feature is a thin holding pin, or shear wire, similarly installed through sleeve and handle. Three legs, 5 1/4 inches long, are attached to the bottom of the cone; the Japanese claim that these legs increase the penetrating power of the weapon. The penetrating effect of the charge is greater when the explosion occurs a few inches away from the armor.

Or perhaps the Hook Charge (Same Source - The pictures are worth a look)?

quote:

When attacking a tank with this pole charge, presumably from ambush, the Japanese soldier is supposed to pull the cord and ignite the fuze as he approaches his target. On reaching the tank, he is supposed to hook the wire hooks of the charge over the tank cannon or machine gun. As he retreats he pulls the bamboo pole loose from the charge, and the demolition hangs freely in position on the gun until the charge explodes.

Why not use a hand held mine?

quote:

The first Japanese antitank grenade was a hand-thrown grenade, which had a simple 100 mm diameter cone HEAT warhead with a simple "all the way" fuse system in the base. (If dropped accidentally with the pin removed, it would explode). It had what looked like the end of a mop head on the tail end of the warhead. A soldier would remove the antitank grenade from its sack, pull the pin, and throw it gripping the mop-head as the handle. This was dangerous, as there was no arming safety after release and the thrower could strike something in his back swing before release. Penetration was reported only around 50mm.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Aichi B7A Ryusei "Shootiing Star"

In response to a specification by the IJN, several designers from Aichi set about achieving the requirements that were expected. The specification for a carrier-borne attack bomber was supposed to supplement, and later replace, the B6N and the D4Y, which was to have: an offensive load of consisting of either 2 250kg bombs or 6 60kg bombs carrier internally, or 1 800kg torpedo carried externally; 2 20mm cannons in the wings and 1 13mm machine gun in dorsal position; top speed of 354 mph; maximum range of 2072 miles; and as manoeuverable as the A6M. Normally, the wingspan would've been limited to 11 meters but, because this new plane was meant to operate on new carriers, this was waived.

In order to meet the requirements, a powerful engine was needed and Aichi was instructed to use a Nakajima Homare 18-cylinder radial engine which was favoured by the Navy as their next standard aircraft engine in the 1,800 hp to 2,200 hp range. To provide space for the internal bombload, a mid-wing configuration was selected which also provided the clearance necessary for the 3.5m diameter propeller. To keep the undercarriage legs short, an inverted gull wing design was chosen. Furthermore, the wings used drooping ailerons that could act as auxiliary flaps, dive brakes were added, and the wings folded upwards outboard from the flaps.

Aichi called it the AM-23 while the Navy called it the Navy Experimental 16-Shi Carrier Attack Bomber (B7A1). The first prototype was completed in May 1942 but experienced many teething issues with the Homare 11 engine. When it did work well, however, the B7A1 could achieve a top speed of 367 mph and had great handling characteristics. Only a total of nine B7A1 aircraft were built and were all extensively tested and modified over time to eliminate airframe and equipment issues. In April 1944, the Homare 12 engine rated at 1,825 HP, became available and was installed in the B7A and this new type was selected for production as the Ryusei.

This new model, the B7A2, was produced at Aichi Kokuki K.K. in Funakata and the 21st Naval Air Arsenal (Dai-Nijuichi Kaigun Kokusho) in Omura. Initially, the A2's were armed with a 7.92mm MG in the dorsal turret, but these were replaced by the 13mm MG's in later production aircraft. Production was halted at Aichi's plant due to an earthquake that ravaged the area. One B7A2 had its engine replaced by a 2,000 HP Nakajima Homare 23 but, due to the previous closure Aichi's plant it never progressed past the experimental stage.

General Information on the B7A2

General Characteristics:
Crew: 2
Length: 11.49m
Wingspan: 14.4m
Height: 4.08m
Powerplant: 1 x Nakajima NK9C Homare 12 18-cylinder air-cooled radial engine rated at 1,825 HP on takeoff
Loaded Weight: 6,500kg

Performance:
Maximum Speed: 566 km/h @ 6,550m
Range: 3030 km
Ceiling: 11,250 m

Armament:
2 x 20mm Type 99 Model 2 cannons in the wings
1 x 7.92mm Type 1 machine gun in dorsal position (early aircraft)
1 x 13mm machine gun in dorsal position (late aircraft)

Ordnance:
1 x 800kg torpedo or
Up to 800kg of bombs

Production numbers:
Aichi Kokuki K.K. at Funakata
-9 B7A1 prototypes
-80 B7A2 production aircraft

Dai-Nijuichi Kaigun Kokusho at Omura
-25 B7A2 production aircraft

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TildeATH posted:

I think Grey's doing a good job of simulating this already.

To get the proper feel for the game, I pace up and down the room while doing the updates having an argument with Cicero (my cat). I always prevail though!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

To get the proper feel for the game, I pace up and down the room while doing the updates having an argument with Cicero (my cat). I always prevail though!

Poor Cicero, always stuck as the IJA.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That cat's gonna be so smug when the inevitable happens and the Kido Butai gets converted into a reef.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

LeadSled posted:

That cat's gonna be so smug when the inevitable happens and the Kido Butai gets converted into a reef.

He's a Cat - he's automatically smug!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Abongination posted:

What the poo poo is this?

It's a Benes "tank". Basically an enterprising Czech dude took a year to build an armoured car from parts of two regular cars. It has two car engines, one for an axis. Hull was made from 4 layers of 1,5 mm metal. Turret was made with truck rim and sheet metal. Between rim and metal was concrete filling. Cannon was fake.
Dude wanted to use it to force border crossing with his family. One of engines died after a couple of km's, they've returned home. His family convinced him he should go to authorities and he used this opportunity to abandon his family, cross the boundary at night and end up in the USA.

My writeup is based on Polish translation of Czech original site, here's original:
http://www.dolin.estranky.cz/clanky/historie---clanky-o-technice/Hrusecky-tank-1970.html

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The B7A is amazing and should be one of the top priorities of Japanese players for early arrival aircraft that aren't fighters.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's okay, he's a cat. He hates water anyhow.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Veloxyll posted:

That's okay, he's a cat. He hates water anyhow.

But only to spite you :catstare:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Let's put the Japanese "Shooting Star" against the American "Shooting Star" :getin:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A have a book or two on it actually... Not sure how accurate it is.

Edit:

Japanese Suicide Lunge Mine

Hahaha! No matter how developed Japanese doctrine got, when in doubt they always fell back on a guy with a spear.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We strike another freighter.

The bombing of Iba is stepped up.

We send masses of planes in to reduce the enemy.

Manila finally falls. Lots of enemy squads destroyed but a large number of enemy troops retreat. They are mostly non-combatants however, and are no threat to our forces.

We put that force to rout.

We capture Sarong without loss. The enemy just surrender to our forces.

We send a British force near Molmein into retreat.

Ahh, that's a good day. That's a 1,500 point shift in the scores in my direction.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hooray! Manila! I assume that force is going to rest for a few days and then parts move to assist at Iba?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
How many soldiers died in the Battle of Manila?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Not enough to sate That Which Hungers at Eniwetok. Not nearly.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

What is the plan for Palembang?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

alex314 posted:

It's a Benes "tank".

This is really cool, had never heard of it before.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Allara, though a largely uninteresting cargo ship, is notable for taking a direct hit by a Japanese torpedo causing massive damager to her stern, but surviving to be repaired and continue service within months.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2319473/unsinkable-allara-survives-japanese-torpedo-attack-pics/

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Aichi B7A Ryusei "Shootiing Star"
These are good and all, but they focus on the procurement/development process a bit too much. More on what these planes actually did in the war! Was is generally successful? A flying coffin? Both?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grey Hunter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Pacific Theatre of Operations 2 - Day By Day - Imperial Edition

For context, this is a game where a key mechanic is the monthly meeting with the Finance, Foreign and Prime Ministers whilst also arguing with the military Chief of Staff whilst you play as the Chief of Naval Staff.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wukkar posted:

These are good and all, but they focus on the procurement/development process a bit too much. More on what these planes actually did in the war! Was is generally successful? A flying coffin? Both?

Yeah, I see your point. The problem with some of them is they really didn't do... anything. Both the Ki-64 and Ki-119 were prototype/project planes only. The B7A has very little information on it, and too few existed to be used for carrier operations. It subsequently operated from land bases but with such a small production run it didn't leave a lasting impression.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Could you do one on the KI-43 Hyabusa? Or the H6K Flying Boat? I play too much War Thunder and I love those planes.

Though admittedly, I just love Boatplanes. The PBY Catalina is such a wonderful plane.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Could you do one on the KI-43 Hyabusa? Or the H6K Flying Boat?

I wouldn't mind it, but the writeups take up quite a bit of time even for the less detailed aircraft, and I've been putting off some stuff I've been meaning to do. So maybe? This LPs gonna be around for year(s) anyways.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I wouldn't mind it, but the writeups take up quite a bit of time even for the less detailed aircraft, and I've been putting off some stuff I've been meaning to do. So maybe? This LPs gonna be around for year(s) anyways.

Do the real crown of the throne, the P-80, last plane in the game :getin:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Manila finally falls. Lots of enemy squads destroyed but a large number of enemy troops retreat. They are mostly non-combatants however, and are no threat to our forces.

Well, I'm relieved that I was wrong! Good call Grey.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Arbite posted:

Good call Grey.

That's 1 in his favor. What's the score against so far? (Obviously the successes in China are going into the cat's ledger)

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Pacific Theatre of Operations 2 - Day By Day - Imperial Edition

For context, this is a game where a key mechanic is the monthly card game with the Finance, Foreign and Prime Ministers whilst also arguing with the military Chief of Staff whilst you play as the Chief of Naval Staff.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

A White Guy posted:

While the 47mm gun of the Chi-Ha could penetrate the M3 Stuarts, it couldn't effectively penetrate the armor of the soon to be absolutely ubiquitous Sherman.

IIRC, it could penetrate the upper hull front at 500m unless firing at a sidewards angle and could penetrate the M4 from the side at just about any practical range.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Magni posted:

IIRC, it could penetrate the upper hull front at 500m unless firing at a sidewards angle and could penetrate the M4 from the side at just about any practical range.

According to the wiki page for the Type 1 47mm Anti-Tank Gun, mounted in the Type 97 Chi-Ha from 42 onwards, it could fire APHE rounds that could penetrate 70mm of armour at 0 degrees, and 51mm at 30 degrees.

Edit: At 500 yards

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 29, 2015

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Magni posted:

The Type 1 47mm on the upgunned Chi-Ha (early versions carried a 57mm weapon that could only penetrate a paltry 25mm of armor) could penetrate 70mm of armor at 0 degree angle at 500 meters, and 50mm at 30 degrees.

While Wikipdia's article on the Sherman is full of misinformation, the data on the armor scheme, at least, appears to be accurate; placing the frontal turret armor of the Sherman at 76mm (effectively immune to the Chi-Ha's gun at 500 meters), and the hull armor at 51mm at a 50 degree slope (marginal at best for the gun).

The gun could easily pierce the M4's sides (around 45mm) at 500 meters, but would have been ineffective at further ranges (40mm/30mm penetration at 1500 meters for 0/30 degrees). Meanwhile, the Sherman's 75mm gun was sufficient to penetrate and destroy a Chi-ha with an HE round, not even needing a dedicate AP projectile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gnoman posted:

While Wikipdia's article on the Sherman is full of misinformation, the data on the armor scheme, at least, appears to be accurate; placing the frontal turret armor of the Sherman at 76mm (effectively immune to the Chi-Ha's gun at 500 meters), and the hull armor at 51mm at a 50 degree slope (marginal at best for the gun).

This depends heavily on which variant of the Sherman is being encountered. The Sherman is, to me, the most convoluted tank of WW2 when it comes to figuring out variants including production and modifications.

• Locked thread