Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Adelaide weather is a backstabbing motherfucker.

I've got so used to the lovely weather the last couple of weeks that I went out into the backyard today to prune my vegies without a shirt on. I realised my mistake too late and now may literally be dying.

Yes I know it's my fault, usually good with the slip slop slap, at least I wont do it again for a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Senor Tron posted:

Adelaide weather is a backstabbing motherfucker.

I've got so used to the lovely weather the last couple of weeks that I went out into the backyard today to prune my vegies without a shirt on. I realised my mistake too late and now may literally be dying.

Yes I know it's my fault, usually good with the slip slop slap, at least I wont do it again for a couple of years.

Adelaide weather does that. To be honest I don't think moving or not moving the time an hour will change the fact that it's still gently caress off hot at night and even when the sun goes down, you're still going to have the A/C going.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In 6 days I am moving to a house with air conditioning. For the moment I am melting.

slorb
May 14, 2002
I'm a lifelong greens voter and if they ever attempt to bring DST in I will change my vote to labor or Katter or pup or something ridiculous. I am not kidding.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I've never gotten the big deal but most people I know simply go on rants about how NSW is trying to bully QLD but QLD is strong and DST is the devil.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Here is a comparison of the sunrise profiles of Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide - I'll let you make your own inferences.

Personally (from Adelaide) I like the adjustment in Summer so you're less likely to be woken up at 5am from the sunrise creeping into your bedroom as well as giving you more hours of sunlight after work.

I guess some disadvantages would be the issue of 'hours worked' when working during on the changeover hour(s), as well as in health where you have to record a patient's observations and how the shift in hour affects this.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Adelaide look like its trying to break reality.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anidav posted:

Looks like?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Having the sun come up at 4am or whatever is a heap of poo poo and I hated it when I went to Brisbane last year. Getting home from work and still being able to go for a ride through the hills, spending more time at the beach, or having a beer outside in the sun are some of the things that make life actually worthwhile living. I don't know why anyone would ever want less of that. Maybe it's because I'm just not a morning person.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Anidav posted:

Not a lot escapes you does it Anidav?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've been to Iceland at a time of year when the sun doesn't actually go down at all and it never gets darker than twilight during the night, you lot are soft touches :colbert:

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Really you lot in Australia have it pretty easy compared to us up north. I've lived in NT, SA, WA and NSW and I think actually SA was the best out of it all. From memory as a kid any way.

Summertime in Sweden around the Stockholm area you're looking at the sun being up by 1:30am with it never truly going down, just hanging above the horizon. If you're way up the gently caress north in Kiruna, better get some thick curtains because that poo poo is all sunlight all day. Opposite of that you don't want to know, the lack of light is brutal.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

NTRabbit posted:

I've been to Iceland at a time of year when the sun doesn't actually go down at all and it never gets darker than twilight during the night, you lot are soft touches :colbert:

I'm sure the hotels there have proper blinds though. If you live in a part of the world where the sun doesn't actually go down you would want to be pretty serious about blocking it out.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I was always confused why people are so keen to have an extra hr in the afternoon in summer when there is plenty of sun but not in winter when there is less sun.

Honestly, gently caress sitting down to dinner at 830 and the sun i still out in a tropical climate, or worse, in like Longreach or Mt Isa.

Also, Dr Karl said DST is dumb the close you get to the equator iirc

e: yea

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2002/10/24/689016.htm

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 28, 2015

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Big Willy Style posted:

I was always confused why people are so keen to have an extra hr in the afternoon in summer when there is plenty of sun but not in winter when there is less sun.

Honestly, gently caress sitting down to dinner at 830 and the sun i still out in a tropical climate, or worse, in like Longreach or Mt Isa.

People don't want it in winter because the days are shorter and moving the time forward would mean more people waking up and commuting to work in the dark.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mad Katter posted:

I'm sure the hotels there have proper blinds though. If you live in a part of the world where the sun doesn't actually go down you would want to be pretty serious about blocking it out.

On the contrary, it makes it a lot easier to stumble back to where you're staying in Reykjavik the wee hours :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 28, 2015

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

NTRabbit posted:

On the contrary, it makes it a lot easier to stumble back to where you're staying in Reykjavik the wee hours :v:

This I can confirm.
It's also particularly strange to be well drunk inside a dark, poorly lit night club, leave at 2am and it being broad day light.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

NTRabbit posted:

yeah but in Australia you only have to worry about a sunburn and someone drawing cocks and swastikas on you if you pass out drunk, in Scandinavian you loving die.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Having DST in places far north like Longreach or Mt Isa, etc makes no sense as they're close enough to the equator that it doesn't really make a lot of difference. As you get further down towards Adelaide, it's a lot more noticable i.e 4-5am sunrises.

You could argue an hour extra in the afternoon means an hour more of people running A/C's, however if it's an hour extra of sun in the morning and gently caress off hot when you're waking up, you're just going to run the A/C for a little bit until you leave, your house heats up and then you run it again when you get home.

The only certain thing is this: in summer people will use their A/C's more.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

CrazyTolradi posted:

The only certain thing is this: death.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Ler posted:

Really you lot in Australia have it pretty easy compared to us up north. I've lived in NT, SA, WA and NSW and I think actually SA was the best out of it all. From memory as a kid any way.

Summertime in Sweden around the Stockholm area you're looking at the sun being up by 1:30am with it never truly going down, just hanging above the horizon. If you're way up the gently caress north in Kiruna, better get some thick curtains because that poo poo is all sunlight all day. Opposite of that you don't want to know, the lack of light is brutal.

As someone who's spent a bit of time in Kiruna I can promise you this is not that true. It's either really overcast or there is a cloud of mosquitos between you and the sun at any given point.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

tithin posted:

Given the ongoing crucifixion of Hockey for "loving up" the budget (ie, getting it the way they wanted), his chances of ever ever ever sniffing the leadership role have permanently hosed off to the Antarctic.

If you need something to make yourself happy; remember that Hockey was dancing in his office to Best Day of My Life before delivering the budget, with no idea that the budget he was so proud of would become one of the most unpopular in history and completely destroy his chances of political advancement.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dont use your ac on the reg like a soft gently caress. :colbert:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Sheehan, amongst much labor bashing, reveals phones running hot for Malcolm.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
When all is said and done, I'd still love to be cuck'd by Credlin.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gently caress Turnbull.

quote:

LEIGH SALES: So how come we're here having a discussion about a five per cent cut to the ABC when in the election campaign, the Government unequivocally said, "No cuts to the ABC"?

MALCOLM TURNBULL: Well, the Prime Minister said that in one interview I think the night before the election. But Joe Hockey and I had made it very clear on a number of ABC programs in fact that we - that if that there were going to be cuts across-the-board, as plainly there would have to be - across the board of government, I mean - to address the budgetary problems, the budget deficit and so forth, then the ABC and SBS couldn't be exempt. But we would be seeking to address waste and inefficiencies and not, as some people were urging us to do, cut the ABC's budget with the intent of reducing its digital presence or its broadcasting activities.

LEIGH SALES: So, voters have misinterpreted then. They shouldn't have taken "no cuts" as no cuts, they should've been parsing Mr Abbott's comments and Mr Hockey's comments and your comments to try to figure out exactly what that meant?

MALCOLM TURNBULL: Well - well, look, you know, I mean, I've defended the Prime Minister on this today and earlier in the week. I think you've got to take his comments, which - look, I mean, what he said, he said, and, you know, it's there, it's on the record. But you've got to take that in the context. And I can only assume that what Mr Abbott was referring to or was thinking about, anyway, was the proposition that there would be cuts in - with the intent of reducing ABC services and we've ruled that out.
We're a bunch of ignorant peasants to have thought what we did but lucky for us malcolms here to explain it using small words, even though he has much more important things to be doing and people* to see. You really have to watch the video at the link to get the full effect.

*people who matter

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 28, 2015

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
What I've learnt from our leaders is that you can say and do whatever you want with no repercussions and get paid really well for it.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He stands like Megaman.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Instead of lasers he shoots austerity and the evil boss he fights at the end is unions and award wages

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Anidav posted:

He stands like Megaman.

He must have some kind of back injury or something because the way he walks is not how normal people walk. He's like your old uncle from the country who has to turn his entire body in order to look in a direction

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

cpaf posted:

He must have some kind of back injury or something because the way he walks is not how normal people walk. He's like your old uncle from the country who has to turn his entire body in order to look in a direction

ITT cpaf works out that Abbott is spineless.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Blue bomber...blue tie...talks like a robot and repeats sentences....Walks weirdly...Gains the powers of the people he democratically defeats...Defunds health and tries to gently caress up medicare

In order to weed out Dr. Wily!

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

IslamoNazi posted:

ITT cpaf works out that Abbott is spineless.

mind blown

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Data retention inquiry being broadcast on aph.gov.au presently. Newsflash Ruddock is a demi-lich.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

cpaf posted:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Lindt Cafe Inquest is on at the moment, apparently police snipers had already gotten Monis before they stormed the cafe. Hence, unloading into a room filled with hostages to get a guy that was already dead was not a great idea. Another TAG-E dude questioned their choice of weapon, suggesting that if it'd been federal CT forces (and not state), they would've been using MP-5's instead of M4's and there wouldn't've been quite so much fragmentation from ricochets.

tl;dr one hostage was executed by the gunman, one was killed by police due to <inquest yet to find out>, but probably poor communications / overzealotry / a desire to emulate russian hostage rescue forces

Murodese fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 29, 2015

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
The answer is obviously to hire more police to police the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm 27 and I've never lived in a house with air conditioning.

• Locked thread