Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
I'm looking to pick up an MMO that I can jump in and out of from time to time but, not really having played MMOs seriously since the days of Everquest 1, I'm at a bit of a loss about where to go. The things that appeals to me most in an MMO is working together by absolute necessity to defeat a challenge. Like in EQ, you'd need a healer and a tank and enchanter, etc, or else you're just going to get rolled hard.

I've been playing some Guild Wars 2 this week and I'm only level 10, but I feel like I could probably solo the entire game. It seems set up for that. It's not really what I'm after. Where should I be looking for this experience?

Priorities:
1. Good graphics
2. meaningful exploration
3. difficult, team-based combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Pretty sure #2 hasn't really existed since 1999

Google lives.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure #2 hasn't really existed since 1999

Google lives.

thought you were telling me to google my question at first. now I realize you're talking about datamining sucking the fun out of exploration, which is true.

Dipes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 29, 2015

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
There's no such thing as an MMO you can just jump in and out of from time to time that is hard and requires teamwork. What you're looking for is called DOTA.

Edit: Rather there are plenty of MMOs that are hard and require teamwork, but they aren't what you want. You want DOTA. I think that makes more sense. What you want is a fantasy. You want that thing you saw in that anime that one time and it looked really cool, but you don't really want to invest any time in it, you just want all the goody stuff. Am I right? Camping a spawn for 12 hours isn't what you want. That's all Everquest was. Camping spawns. You don't want that, because if you wanted that, you'd be playing Everquest. Am I right? So what you want is something you can get instant max level in, and you can do all the hardmode dungeons with all your friends people from the raid finder, because who wants to make raid groups and learn strategies. You want that game where everyone has watched youtube videos before hand so you can steamroll the content and go "lol this game so easy" and watch all the mouth breathers fail over and over while your cool group just wins the game.

This game does not exist anywhere but in the heads of millions of salivating instant gratification neckbeards.

If you want hard, and you want teamwork, and you want persistence, then play EVE. Everything in EVE is persistent, requires teamwork and is hard. You kill someone in your boob frigate and you get to keep the killmail forever.

pertinent fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 28, 2015

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
I'm not looking for instant gratification so much as a game that has meaningful teamplay plus persistence even at the early levels.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dipes posted:

I'm not looking for instant gratification so much as a game that has meaningful teamplay plus persistence even at the early levels.

pertinent posted:

What you're looking for is called DOTA.

And if dota or dotalikes don't fit the bill then what you want doesn't exist.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
drat. The problem with DOTA is that you don't really build anything except rank. And skill I suppose. Plus, god. the DOTArds can be truly awful.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
WoW

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I'm not sure many actual MMOs can be what you're looking for 100% of the time. It sounds like based on the criteria you have, that sandbox-type games would more fit the bill, like EVE Online, Ultima Online, Archeage, and the like. Or perhaps something like WURM Online if that's a thing that still exists.

There's plenty of non-massive games that fit this bill though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Meaningful teamplay is another way to say "forced grouping" and that's verboten with the new accessibility meta MMOs are going for these days. Go see how wildstar did with the old inaccessibility mentality.

Basically, no one will make the game you want because the rest of us have moved on to better games.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What does meaningful exploration mean, exactly?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ironically, what you want seems to be the Project 1999 emulated Everquest classic server. There's also an emulated Star Wars Galaxies server out there. Guild Wars 2 was definitely designed for solo-ing, in fact almost every MMO is designed that way now. For a change of flavor I recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's about as difficult as vanilla WoW. Grouping is not required, though it is very helpful. Every quest is voice acted and has moral choices, even lame ones. Your teammates can participate in the conversations as well, it's really cool.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 29, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This type of mmo no longer exists and never will again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

This type of mmo no longer exists and never will again.

Because the target audience aren't teenagers any more.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

You could try FFXIV, it has everything from hardcore raiding to super-easy loot piniata content and the one-group dungeons require a reasonable level of skill.

I don't know what meaningful exploration means as far as gameplay is concerned, but there's a thing called the sightseeing log where you get rewarded with internet points for finding specific locations.

You can solo to the level cap, but the group content is really good. Alternately, there's that fan-run EQMac server.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also everything is data mined to poo poo now. MMO content used to be scarce. Now you know everything of a piece of content before it drops. That has killed a lot of the charm for me.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

What does meaningful exploration mean, exactly?

I think I'm probably just chasing the dragon here. I remember in Everquest stepping outside of the gates of the Erudite starting city and not knowing what the gently caress. There's no game map, there's limited fast travel, and you're rewarded for finding cool camps with unique loot by just roaming the world. I really liked that sense of discovery.

It's probably not possible to recapture that feeling. I remember playing Ahseron's Call though and that had a similar thing going on. The MMOs that I've dipped into since those early days all have a sort of Theme Park vibe going on. Get on the ride, go here, here, here, level up, go here here here etc. In Asheron's Call it was "do whatever you want, gently caress you. Also get ganked right now". But I also felt like I could find a slice of the world that not so many people knew about, because I trudged my rear end across a desert for 45 minutes and found a sweet spot to farm golem motes in the middle of no where.

That kind of thing really appeals to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is that really meaningful though? Are you going to aimlessly meander through an open, empty world for hours, getting chased by hostile mobs 10 levels higher than you, maybe finding a ring of +1 strength, and then say "Gosh, that sure was fun and rewarding!"?

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
You're right, of course. Too much nostalgia at play here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia's a hell of a thing.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Yeah, that type of game is dead due to the prevalence of datamining these days.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Just play skyrim and pretend town npcs are people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was going to write a post about the futility of wanting to recapture the feeling of having sex for the first time but then I remembered where I was posting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Colgate posted:

Yeah, that type of game is dead due to the prevalence of datamining these days.

Google killed it long before data mining. Data mining just staked the beast.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Project 1999 is what you want. Shards of Dalaya is also good but no one plays it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
You could have played Vanguard but they shut it down. There wasn't really anything unexplored in the game but a lot of it wasn't very well documented.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Fister Roboto posted:

I was going to write a post about the futility of wanting to recapture the feeling of having sex for the first time but then I remembered where I was posting.

Sex, like mmos, gets better with more iterations and variety.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Dipes posted:

Priorities:
1. Good graphics
2. meaningful exploration
3. difficult, team-based combat
Doesn't FF14 sorta fit this bill? I haven't played the reboot but people here seem to like it?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jackard posted:

Doesn't FF14 sorta fit this bill? I haven't played the reboot but people here seem to like it?

FF14 doesn't have a significant emphasis on exploration. If Dipes is looking for an experience like vanilla EQ well forget it, it's not in FF14 (whose world actually feels pretty small due to the need for delineated areas and loading screens because PS3), but of course it's not anywhere anymore because MMO players have justifiably gotten used to knowing where they are and where to go. On the other hand if you want good graphics and difficult group content you can do much worse than FF14.

Honestly it sounds like (and they've practically admitted as much) that Dipes is really looking for a game to recapture the feel of booting up Everquest or Vanilla WoW when they were brand new, and that isn't happening. Those games were playable back in the day because there was nothing else to compare them to, and indeed Everquest and WoW were way more open and accessible and user friendly than their peers. Old MMOs are remembered through the lens of nostalgia, they don't hold up anymore.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the OP of the Everquest 2 thread claims that the gameworld is giant and apparently people are still finding new secrets once in a while so maybe try that?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Just try to resist datamining and Googling I guess? Guild Wars 2 actually has an immense amount of secrets and jumping puzzles and stuff in the game, it's just been in the game for two years now and is meticulously recorded. The dungeons require teamwork but they're also not really very good, events are where the meat of the game is and if you don't like those then that's it.

Just go play FFXIV or a private server and resist the urge to Google. Or play Dark Souls or Skyrim or something similar.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I say play GW2 for #2 and FFXIV for #1 and #3. Because there isn't a game that has all 3 at once.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

how about forgetting about graphics and start playing a MUD

otherwise its UO, but it didn't work for me. too boring.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

I'd say UO but if you never played it there's a probably insurmountable learning curve. Also the graphics are old.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What you want is real life OP.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

why not just play everquest tho, like it's still there. it hasnt gone anywhere. heck, sometimes i even reinstall it and run around as a blocky lizard necromancer.

ya the graphics suck but if what you want is oldschool poo poo then just go play the oldschool.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Goat Simulator has an MMO mode now that's fun

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Goat Simulator has an MMO mode now that's fun

i havent tried that yet, can you still become a swole goat

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

A Spider Covets posted:

i havent tried that yet, can you still become a swole goat

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
It's only in Alpha, and who knows where it will end up, but Albion Online fits what you are looking for. It's not 'hard' but it does have full loot, plenty of places to explore, and will be persistent. It will also definitely require teamwork, and forces territory battles into 5v5 or 25v25 to avoid giant zerg. Open character progression and limited abilities means teamwork will be essential in pvp.

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665294

• Locked thread