Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, yeah the inclusion and focus on "pretty women in peril" is kind of dumb but everything else looks pretty awesome as far as action movies go. Not really sure what it is being compared against.
Having just re-watched the trailer, everyone seemed to be in the same general amount of peril (a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Road Warrior is the first Mad Max, everyone knows that.

Just like how Rambo is the first Rambo.

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't see what's so bad about the Fury Road trailer. None of the Mad Max films were masterpieces, so I am not sure why people are tearing the new one apart, unless they've always hated every Mad Max movie. I mean, yeah the inclusion and focus on "pretty women in peril" is kind of dumb but everything else looks pretty awesome as far as action movies go. Not really sure what it is being compared against.

Nothing is onscreen for more than a second and it cuts all over the drat place like a badly directed action scene, except the cuts aren't always from the same scene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Nothing is onscreen for more than a second and it cuts all over the drat place like a badly directed action scene, except the cuts aren't always from the same scene.

so it's a normal movie trailer?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm looking forward to that one Junkie XL track from the Mad Max teaser.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

redbackground posted:

Having just re-watched the trailer, everyone seemed to be in the same general amount of peril (a lot).

I'm assuming you watched the second trailer which barely shows the women I was referring to.

The first trailer features them more heavily. They are even wearing white dresses for crying out loud.

It's not important or a big deal, but it was the only thing about the first trailer that I could think of that would bring about a genuine negative response (since it seems weirdly out of place given everything else in the trailer.) Who knows what their actual role is, and like I said, they are barely in the second trailer at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

The original Mad Max? Which outside of some indie appeal is probably the least memorable of the three? No one quotes Mad Max, FYI. Its the second and third everyone talks about.

For real, I watched them both back to back a few years ago, for the first time, and all I really remember about the original is that there was a police precinct in what I thought was going to be a post-apocalyptic movie, and that the ending is something someone took as the premise for the entire Saw series. Meanwhile, I can quote like half of Road Warrior.

Aphrodite posted:

That sounds like the original Alien trailer, which is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

For real, I watched them both back to back a few years ago, for the first time, and all I really remember about the original is that there was a police precinct in what I thought was going to be a post-apocalyptic movie, and that the ending is something someone took as the premise for the entire Saw series. Meanwhile, I can quote like half of Road Warrior.

I had only seen the first film long after I had watched the 2nd and 3rd many times over the years. Mad Max was such a massive let down, but I can see how if people saw that one first they might have a special place for it in their memories. Thing is though, pop culture in general doesn't seem to give a poo poo about that movie. Road Warrior and Thunderdome were game changers.

Edit: The Alien trailer just reminds me of Prometheus now, another film that disappointed me greatly. :(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't see what's so bad about the Fury Road trailer. None of the Mad Max films were masterpieces, so I am not sure why people are tearing the new one apart, unless they've always hated every Mad Max movie. I mean, yeah the inclusion and focus on "pretty women in peril" is kind of dumb but everything else looks pretty awesome as far as action movies go. Not really sure what it is being compared against.
The Mad Max movies are one of the reasons the Fallout games exist so they are good by default :colbert:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

The Mad Max movies are one of the reasons the Fallout games exist so they are good by default :colbert:

Road Warrior is pretty great. Thunderdome is less great, but a very memorable film. I wouldn't call it bad, just notably different from RW. Fury Road seems to be aiming more toward RW while turning everything up to 11.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

It's being made by the same guy that made the other two.

He also hasn't directed an action movie in literally 30 years.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

It's being made by the same guy that made the other two.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

For real, I watched them both back to back a few years ago, for the first time, and all I really remember about the original is that there was a police precinct in what I thought was going to be a post-apocalyptic movie, and that the ending is something someone took as the premise for the entire Saw series.
Given the two creators of Saw are Australian I think the similarity is probably more than just coincidence.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

That trailer still freaks me out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Given the two creators of Saw are Australian I think the similarity is probably more than just coincidence.

I'm pretty sure they've been explicit in stating that Mad Max was a major influence.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mehcad Brooks has been cast as Jimmy Olsen in the Supergirl series.

I gotta say I'm digging DCTVs trend of mixing up the racial make up on their shows. Nothing will top the flawless casting that is Candice Patton, however. I can't help but feel this will benefit them a lot in the long run. I know a bunch of people excited for the vixen series, even.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 29, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Mechad Brooks has been cast as Jimmy Olsen in the Supergirl series.

Handsomest Jimmy Olson of all time?

Also is it just me or does "Mechad Brooks" found super Jewish?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Handsomest Jimmy Olson of all time?

Also is it just me or does "Mechad Brooks" found super Jewish?

Its Mehcad, sorry autocorrect. But he could be Jewish? I dont know And wiki isnt giving me any info. (Not trying to be stalky, as a black Jew I get excited when I find my brethren lol)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I wasn't being facetious, it's too similar to not be directly taken from that ending.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Mehcad Brooks has been cast as Jimmy Olsen in the Supergirl series.

I gotta say I'm digging DCTVs trend of mixing up the racial make up on their shows. Nothing will top the flawless casting that is Candice Patton, however. I can't help but feel this will benefit them a lot in the long run. I know a bunch of people excited for the vixen series, even.

I am just happy that they did not went too far with the diversity and cast a horse as Supergirl's love interest like her comic book once did.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, Smallville had a black Pete Ross and the hellscape abomination that was David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman TV pilot had a black Etta Candy. Switching the races of secondary side characters, the ones that play second fiddle to the big heroes, is not utterly groundbreaking at this point; what's more significant is to cast people of color as leading main characters.

That said, I do agree that this casting, and what they did with Iris on the Flash, are steps in the right direction since they're evidently supposed to be seen as the romantic leads.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jimmy Olsen is also supposed to be the romantic lead on Supergirl from the casting calls.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Right. He's the "this casting" I was referring to.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Koalas March posted:

as a black Jew I get excited when I find my brethren lol

In that case, while it's not comics related you might like this:

"Part African American, part Native American, and of Cajun descent, Paxton is an Orthodox Jew."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like they are making Jimmy an alpha male type dude that Supergirl crushes on rather than a nerd crushing on her. Because I think in a world without Superman to become dependent on that's actually how Jimmy would probably end up. Hot shot photographer, relatively good looking, generally brave, Clark Kent's best bro. He only looks like a dweeb because you're holding him up next to Superman.

Also the hero is supposed to have the unrequited love, see Barry/Iris, not the sidekick having unrequited love for the hero. I guess on Arrow it's mutual with Ollie/Laurel and/or Ollie/Felicity depending on which season you're on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

I like they are making Jimmy an alpha male type dude that Supergirl crushes on rather than a nerd crushing on her. Because I think in a world without Superman to become dependent on that's actually how Jimmy would probably end up. Hot shot photographer, relatively good looking, generally brave, Clark Kent's best bro. He only looks like a dweeb because you're holding him up next to Superman.

Not dissimilar to a male version of Lois Lane, I suppose.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

Not dissimilar to a male version of Lois Lane, I suppose.

Yeah, a much better and briefer analysis.

Lois Lane in

I'm Curious! (Black) (Male) (Jew)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

Yeah, a much better and briefer analysis.

Lois Lane in

I'm Curious! (Black) (Male) (Jew)

Lois Lane is Sammy Davis Jr?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Superman Returns would've been greatly improved by a performance of Mr Bojangles in the second act.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Koalas March posted:

Its Mehcad, sorry autocorrect. But he could be Jewish? I dont know And wiki isnt giving me any info. (Not trying to be stalky, as a black Jew I get excited when I find my brethren lol)

Black father, Jewish mother. I only know that because his brother used to be on a podcast and talked about it all the time.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Before clicking, I thought this was about the actress who plays Iris.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hellcat joins AKA Jessica Jones:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24001/rachael_taylor_the_latest_to_join_marvels_aka_jessica_jones

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I guess she will be taking over from Carol Danvers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I guess Hellcat's taking Captain Marvel's place in the story?

(Heh, just realised Patsy's an answer to one of the questions from last week's episode of Wil Wheaton's TableTop: "Name x superheroes with yellow as the primary colour of their costume")

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked that mini when she was the Alaskan Avenger.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hopefully this is setting up her role in Infinity War.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teek posted:

Hopefully this is setting up her role in Infinity War.

Does Thanos have his name on that helicopter in case someone accidentally takes it for a spin?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Madkal posted:

Does Thanos have his name on that helicopter in case someone accidentally takes it for a spin?

New York at that time was a much more dangerous place.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

This. This is the Greatest News. I give 0 fucks for Jessica Jones but Patsy Walker owns all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have had zero exposure to Hellcat outside of Spidey Super Stories and like the new She-Hulk, what else has she been good in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Hakkesshu posted:

I have had zero exposure to Hellcat outside of Spidey Super Stories and like the new She-Hulk, what else has she been good in?

The Kathryn and Stuart Immonen miniseries is really fun. After Civil War she becomes the sole Avengers: Initiative hero assigned to Alaska