Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Forums Terrorist posted:

wrong, it was giving people an excuse to not move on

you seem to be unclear on the topic of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

some cool wallpapers here but you have to find them through archive.org because the site hosting the images turned into some venture capital shithead conference

http://vaporstack.org/stack/2007/05/31/totally-sweet-ultra-subtle-retro-mac-game-wallpapers/

stuntcopter :allears:

also for os x http://antell.com/software/games/StuntCopter.zip

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
anyone else remember Rescue! ? i played that game on my friend's mom's mac when i was a kid. was pretty fun at the time.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

this thread inspired me to set up basilisk ii

good parts: almost everything works, need to get some bideo shames for it

bad parts: it doesn't play the startup bong and icab sorta works but i can't yospost since all the images kill it :negative:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

this thread inspired me to set up basilisk ii

:hfive:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

system 7.5.5 is pro as gently caress, drat you dad for cheaping out and not buying a mac

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

system 7.5.5 is pro as gently caress

that's what we've been saying for decades!!!!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

re: system 7.5 yosposting

http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=3910

gonna need to try this when i get home

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

^ works for me

graph posted:

why hasnt anyone ported diablo2 to 10.7+

port d2 to javascript

also
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/books/woz-wonderbook/Apple2WozWonderbook1977.pdf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just was sorting some stuff in my office today and was reminded that i have what i believe are two original prototype appearance models for the snow white design language. two monitor models, one made of styrofoam and one painted renshape, identical to this product except with no branding

s'cool

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i just was sorting some stuff in my office today and was reminded that i have what i believe are two original prototype appearance models for the snow white design language. two monitor models, one made of styrofoam and one painted renshape, identical to this product except with no branding

s'cool

:swoon:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
a/ux owned and i am sad i cant get shoebill to work right

also gently caress apple for removing HFS disk image support its making things difficult :saddowns:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
first Mac I used was an original iMac. it was teal. we wrote programs that had a slide type gui interface. I wish I could remember the name of that program.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

a/ux owned and i am sad i cant get shoebill to work right

is there some place with instructions on how 2 emulate it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Dirk Pitt posted:

first Mac I used was an original iMac. it was teal. we wrote programs that had a slide type gui interface. I wish I could remember the name of that program.

hypercard????

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HyperCard is the best ever and is apparently still in the iPhone dictionary :allears:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

HyperCard is the best ever and is apparently still in the iPhone dictionary :allears:

i assume they loaded in all their trademarks, there was some other old apple technology that auto-capitalized for me one time

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
wish it would stop trying to auto-capitalize internet. it's just "internet" or "the internet" apple, not "Internet".

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pram posted:

not really, that's the problem

like for example shoebill's site shows you how to compile it and run an image, but it doesnt tell you what kind of format the disk images need to be in so its all guesswork. you can download other people's au/x images but atm you can't really do much with them. i stopped playing around with it a few months ago so its possible there have been improvements, but when i used it there was no networking support so my idea of using AFP shares instead of disk images didnt pan out

i could write up a post on how to get it running if you guys want but thats it really. i could never figure out how to do anything beyond booting au/x with it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Doc Block posted:

wish it would stop trying to auto-capitalize internet. it's just "internet" or "the internet" apple, not "Internet".

protip: turn off autocorrect and auto capitalization

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Smythe posted:

Old Macs are loving worthless junk. They sucked rear end back then, and they suck rear end now. Gas this thread - and also every Old Mac should be tossed into the gas chamber too - but get this - with their little bitch boy aficionados still attached to their keyboards :twisted:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
i didn't get a mac until i embraced my fag lifestyle

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Sniep posted:

hypercard????

yes! :neckbeard:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is there an even semi-modern hypercard release?

alternately, does anyone know where to find the old dos version? because that should still run.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

emoji posted:

i didn't get a mac until i embraced my fag lifestyle

same op

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

infernal machines posted:

is there an even semi-modern hypercard

Supercard, apparently still exists.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

alternately, does anyone know where to find the old dos version? because that should still run.

dos hypercard?!?

there was something called runtime revolution, i think i ran some stacks with that in some version of os x but it was a piece of poo poo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

all old computers are worthless junk its just that old macs are rarer so they naturally attract more curiosity than old IBM compatible PCs

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hypercard owned so much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

dos hypercard?!?

yeah there was a dos port, i discovered it on the school network way back when. no one had any idea where it came from or what class/course it was meant for.

i spent hours mucking around with it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

grazie mille

oooh. it even supports importing and conversion

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

"old dos version," you're funny

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i assume they loaded in all their trademarks, there was some other old apple technology that auto-capitalized for me one time

i remembered what it was

it was QuickDraw :allears:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

pram posted:

getting to work in an emulator would require someone to actually write a proper 68k mac emulator in the first place. most mac emulators are designed to just emulate just enough so the toolbox and os can be properly booted--like for example there's no mmu in basilisk ii and it can boot right up to mac os 8.1

i have a mac somewhere in storage that can run a/ux and a yosposter has in the past set one up to telnet into

pram
Jun 10, 2001
o

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

OSI bean dip posted:

getting to work in an emulator would require someone to actually write a proper 68k mac emulator in the first place. most mac emulators are designed to just emulate just enough so the toolbox and os can be properly booted--like for example there's no mmu in basilisk ii and it can boot right up to mac os 8.1

i have a mac somewhere in storage that can run a/ux and a yosposter has in the past set one up to telnet into

https://github.com/pruten/shoebill

i havent checked it out since novemberish though

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Beeftweeter posted:

https://github.com/pruten/shoebill

i havent checked it out since novemberish though

out of curiousity after posting, i found that while searching. it doesn't emulate sound and it only emulates a mac ii. the mac being used as reference is sort of a lovely platform to model around as it only emulates a 68020 processor and they were not exactly 32-bit clean--meaning that it's running in 24-bit mode and as such having more than 8 mb of ram would end up being reported as used (when it wasn't) or would just not be addressed at all.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 30, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

OSI bean dip posted:

out of curiousity after posting, i found that while searching. it doesn't emulate sound and it only emulates a mac ii. the mac being used as reference is sort of a lovely platform to model around as it only emulates a 68020 processor and they were not exactly 32-bit clean--meaning that it's running in 24-bit mode and as such having more than 8 mb of ram would end up being reported as used (when it wasn't) or would just not be addressed at all.

well yeah, it is a relatively new emulator though that looks like its (actively) only being worked on by one person. i would give it time

i did use it with a IIcx rom though but i have no idea if that really makes it emulate a 68030 or not (the documentation would suggest no). either way if you allocate more than 8mb of ram it reports it as free

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Beeftweeter posted:

well yeah, it is a relatively new emulator though that looks like its (actively) only being worked on by one person. i would give it time

i did use it with a IIcx rom though but i have no idea if that really makes it emulate a 68030 or not (the documentation would suggest no). either way if you allocate more than 8mb of ram it reports it as free

a/ux was able to get around the clean mode as it didn't entirely rely on the macintosh toolbox except for when it ran in system 7 mode--except a/ux 1 and 2 used system 6 if i recall right. and yeah. the rom doesn't dictate what processor is being emulated as it should notionally execute just fine if the processor doesn't match--for example, the quadra 800 uses a 68040 but if you used its rom and then emulated a 68030 processor in basilisk ii, then nothing bad would happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sagebrush posted:

s'cool

wowzers, is it the one with the built-in 5.25" floppy with the door latch that lowers into position?

You can see the same machine in the movie 2010 except you're supposed to pretend that a //c without a power cord will actually work

• Locked thread