Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

AndroidHub posted:

So I just recently started playing this again, really impressed with how far it's come in the past few months. Some really interesting behavior for me is bandits mostly leaving me alone to pick through the remains of old bandit camps, since my people like to forage them on my orders then just leave the stuff there, so a new camp spawns, and the closest stuff to steal is from the other camp they spawned near or on top of (then my 4 squads of redcoats sprint in an mow them down). Other than that I still have trouble getting my colonists to find the time to chop down a few trees, I guess I need to dedicate a work crew to doing only forestry. Oh and being able to actually play without crashing in the first week is pretty radical too (along with reloading games).

e: also a fishperson AND bandit raid happening at the same time and the bandits seeming very pleased to just take the fishperson weapons as their plunder.

e2: what ever happened to ammunition being required? My soldiers never seem to run out of bullets. Too difficult to keep your colony alive?

Yeah, I think we're doing pretty well! Definitely making progress in the right direction.

- Work crews will select whatever they think is the most useful thing to do - so, yes, if you want a work party to only cut down trees, either create less jobs or tell more people to do only forestry.
- Fishpeople weapons are more awesome (new thread title?)
- The concept of "what size of a clip is" and "how many bullets you use within that clip" are now in game; however, you have an infinite number of clips; it sort of ended up being very game-y, where having supplies for combat (which will be depleted) means that you do a little more damage and have faster health regeneration. We'll see how this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

SeanBeansShako posted:

I do hope you guys have picket style guard posts planned for the future? complete with that cute way they stacked guns together ready for action!

I would love to designate a zone for Military Camps, and they just set up their little tents (after receiving an order from a overseer)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Complete with a cute little flag on a pole and the biggest tent for your NCO to pour over a map and pour out a drink in. I can't wait to see what the Officer and Elite soldiers look like in the future by the way.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

SeanBeansShako posted:

Complete with a cute little flag on a pole and the biggest tent for your NCO to pour over a map and pour out a drink in. I can't wait to see what the Officer and Elite soldiers look like in the future by the way.

The officer is the guy at the field desk with a snifter of brandy. He has a hand in his jacket waiting for days for a photo to be taken. Officer is on job: pose for photo

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nvining posted:

- The concept of "what size of a clip is" and "how many bullets you use within that clip" are now in game; however, you have an infinite number of clips; it sort of ended up being very game-y, where having supplies for combat (which will be depleted) means that you do a little more damage and have faster health regeneration. We'll see how this goes.
I think you mean magazine. :eng101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQtF8yG4_A

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Honestly every time I play the game for the last few months I put down 1-3 buildings and then just quit because of how incredibly terrible module placement is. The sad thing is it wasn't always this bad, in some of the earlier versions it was quirky but very predictable (like placing foundations, stockpiles and farms are), but now it's just obnoxious and extremely un-fun. Maybe it doesn't bother anyone else but to me that aspect of the UI is lagging so far behind the rest of the game that nothing else matters.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

K8.0 posted:

Honestly every time I play the game for the last few months I put down 1-3 buildings and then just quit because of how incredibly terrible module placement is. The sad thing is it wasn't always this bad, in some of the earlier versions it was quirky but very predictable (like placing foundations, stockpiles and farms are), but now it's just obnoxious and extremely un-fun. Maybe it doesn't bother anyone else but to me that aspect of the UI is lagging so far behind the rest of the game that nothing else matters.

I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I think the blueprints didn't snap back to some default rotation after every placement, once. And maybe he's refering to the way you've to select the building type from a bunch of itty bitty icons if you go to module placement directly, instead of placing the modules after you laid down the foundation of a building.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wipfmetz posted:

I think the blueprints didn't snap back to some default rotation after every placement, once. And maybe he's refering to the way you've to select the building type from a bunch of itty bitty icons if you go to module placement directly, instead of placing the modules after you laid down the foundation of a building.

There's also a vaguely unpredictable stickiness to the modules that you can place, and moving modules doesn't always work as intended, but I put that down to alpha status. I've actually created a module outside of the blueprint which managed to crash the game.

Vertex placement went a long way to curing most of the problems I had for blueprints, though. I'm still confused about the modules offered when creating a building, is a normal and roller shutter door required for workshops, for example.

None of this stops me playing the game, though, and it's a really early access program, so...:shrug:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dareon posted:

They're supposed to be vaguely British, not American manifest destiny types.
Er not really up on British history are you?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah, I've gotten some big issues with modules going outside of a building and getting stuck there, I think they have all bee wall modules, doors, stoves, etc. Speaking of, are the non-wall mounted stoves special in any way? I'm not sure I've actually used them.

e: This is by far my best colony ever, turns out all you need to do is make sure that 2/3 of your colony is only allowed to cook or farm. I am even, in my hubris, building tables and chairs (middle class tables and chairs no less!)

Really loving the way prestige plays into supply drops and the favor system, it definitely solves a lot of the problems I experienced earlier in development. Being able to call in squads of redcoats once you hit 5 is really fantastic. But is there a plan to make favors go up in price the more you use them? (aside from not-favors like receiving prisoners)

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 28, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darkhold posted:

Er not really up on British history are you?

Of course not, I'm American! :v:

e: I am aware of the British tiger/buffalo/elephant hunter stereotype, but when I think overhunting I think of American settlers just leaving piles of rotting bison corpses on the Great Plains that they maybe took the horns off of.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 28, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Who do you think taught you guys all this? :britain:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AndroidHub posted:

e: This is by far my best colony ever, turns out all you need to do is make sure that 2/3 of your colony is only allowed to cook or farm. I am even, in my hubris, building tables and chairs (middle class tables and chairs no less!)

Wait, seriously? You've got 43 people there. You're telling me 28 are cooking or farming? That's like 4 colonists per farm plot.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I guess I should say 2/3 of the colonists that are actually capable of farming or cooking, I've got 8 assigned to the kitchen and 10 farming, as far as I know soldiers can't do either, and I've got 9 of them, plus 3 ncos (and a couple poets). Up until I got those numbers I had three of my overseers with just a single laboror and the rest were consolidated in the other three overseers farming or cooking.

Somewhat unrelated, I noticed that instead of burying slain bandits my colonists instead decided to butcher and store(and eventually eat) their bodies, it seems like there should maybe be an option to order your colonists to give them proper burials (maybe even have that affect the way bandits act in the future?) though I guess eating them does send a message to other potential bandits.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 28, 2015

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's blogpost: Fog-of-War!

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/01/28/the-fog-of-war-and-other-stuff/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Huzzah reloading.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is the FoW gonna be effected by cultists or rituals or something?

Like maybe a cultist sneaks into a bakery to do no good by 'turning off' his vision so you'd to catch him n the act you'd either have him pick a baker occupied by a non cult worker, or notice a bakery you saw some go into but can't see in so you send in a soldier but oh god its too late he completed the ritual arghgh etc.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

Of course not, I'm American! :v:

e: I am aware of the British tiger/buffalo/elephant hunter stereotype, but when I think overhunting I think of American settlers just leaving piles of rotting bison corpses on the Great Plains that they maybe took the horns off of.

It's more the fact that we spread across the surface of the globe and claimed anything that wasn't previously emblazoned with a flag. We didn't call it 'manifest destiny', though. it was more of knowing what's good for the blighters and educating them with Mr Webley, Mr Gatling and some fine Sheffield steel.

Of course now they just trounce our behinds at Cricket every year, so there are some downsides, and we try not to talk about the massacres.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

K8.0 posted:

What are you referring to here exactly? We've changed things around quite a few times so we'd like to know what in particular you don't like.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Is the FoW gonna be effected by cultists or rituals or something?

Like maybe a cultist sneaks into a bakery to do no good by 'turning off' his vision so you'd to catch him n the act you'd either have him pick a baker occupied by a non cult worker, or notice a bakery you saw some go into but can't see in so you send in a soldier but oh god its too late he completed the ritual arghgh etc.

I'm saying nothing...

nvining
May 30, 2011

Daynab posted:

What are you referring to here exactly? We've changed things around quite a few times so we'd like to know what in particular you don't like.

(Also, uh, Daniel just tried to place an oven several times, with increasing yelling, and we found a bug. So that might help.)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Daynab posted:

I'm gonna preface this by saying that anyone who is thinking about buying this game shouldn't be afraid to. It's really cool and the developers are putting a lot of effort into making it good. Don't let my criticisms of their UI design dissuade you from supporting a really cool game.

It's hard to tell what is going on sometimes, but there are a few basic issues I can express pretty easily. Make a good sized lower class house. Grab a cot, move your cursor to one square in from middle of the bottom right wall and try to rotate it. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Sometimes when it won't rotate, if you move your cursor directly adjacent to the wall, then it WILL rotate one time and snap up against the wall.

Now slide the cot down so that the end of it is up against the same wall and the circle is up against the other wall. What will often happen as you do this is your cursor slides into the end tile of the cot. Then if you try to slide it along the wall, it won't move because you're not giving it a valid center point, even though you are clearly expressing a desire to slide it along the wall.

When placing modules I often find that clicks are being lost when rotating them. I'll right click three times and hear the sound go off three times, but the module only turns 180, even if it's a huge building and I'm just placing one module in the middle of it.

Pick up an oven and play with moving your cursor in and out of a building along each of the walls. What happens varies by wall, but none of the behaviors are good.

Picking up modules can often be really awkward too. Put a bunch of ovens in a row and try to grab one. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes you get a clunk but no pickup, sometimes you get the one you wanted, and sometimes you get one you didn't want. This might all be bugs, or some of it might be due to the ambiguity in where you need to click to pick up a module, I don't know.

Why is it even possible to place wall-attached modules outside of buildings?

I often can't figure out what the module placement rules are and there's no reason for them to be so complex, they could feel much more natural.

For freestanding modules, right clicking should always rotate the module, even if that makes it unplaceable. Just draw the ghost or its bounding box red if you don't have a valid placement. For placement, constrain it to within walls so it's appropriately easy to place modules up against a wall or corner when you want to. Modules should also follow the cursor even if they collide with something. Highlight the offending tiles in red and let the user figure out what they want to do. If someone is placing modules outside of initial building construction, the target building is the last one their cursor was actually inside of.

Module rotation should be remembered between placements.

Wall-attached modules should be constrained the same way, and always be stuck to a wall. If it's not already, the placement tile should be the center on the inside of the wall since that's where the user is doing their little floorplan tetris.

I know this is long winded and kinda harsh but ultimately these are the sort of things that can make the difference between someone loving a game and saying gently caress this garbage. I REALLY like what you're doing, but right now getting at a lot of it requires fighting with the UI in ways that are just unnecessary.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 29, 2015

nvining
May 30, 2011

Nah, it's a fair cop. I already fixed a lot of the oven behaviours; I'll see what I can do about the rest of it.

The main reason why the modules are hokey is because, in module mode, you never select the building the module goes in - so they need to be able to snap in and out of buildings. For instance, imagine if you were building three middle class houses and you wanted to put beds in all of them; hence we basically lifted the system from Prison Architect (which of course is 2D and maybe things are a bit easier; also, I don't remember if their modules rotate)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

K8.0 posted:

If someone is placing modules outside of initial building construction, the target building is the last one their cursor was actually inside of.

That's why I put this bit. You can constrain modules to whatever building the cursor was last inside of and nobody will ever think twice about it because it will just do what they want.

nvining
May 30, 2011

K8.0 posted:

That's why I put this bit. You can constrain modules to whatever building the cursor was last inside of and nobody will ever think twice about it because it will just do what they want.

Is it, though? If I build a house, then a carpentry workshop, then a kitchen, suppose I want to add more saws..

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Saws in the kitchen is a perfectly cromulent idea.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Gooses and Geeses posted:

It would definitely have an embiggening effect on food production

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

nvining posted:

Is it, though? If I build a house, then a carpentry workshop, then a kitchen, suppose I want to add more saws..

I'm saying it should be dynamic while you are placing a module. You open the module menu, pick the carpentry category, grab a saw. On your way to the carpentry workshop, your cursor hits a tile of the house, at which point the ghost constrains to that building. Same thing happens when you pass through the kitchen. Then your cursor goes over a tile on the carpentry workshop, and at that point the saw is constrained to that building until/unless your cursor enters another building. It's just a relatively simple way for you to make it extremely easy for people to place modules along walls, which is where the vast majority of them are going to be placed in most cases.

Also maybe you need saws in the kitchen if some sort of tomfoolery causes giant loaves of bread to be prepared.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 29, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gooses and Geeses posted:

That bread gets stale fast in the air ship delivery now.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
On the topic of placing saws anywhere, there should be a weapon rack of some sort that you can place in any building, like a decoration, but that will let any colonist grab a sword or gun to defend themselves/murder others.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Koobze posted:

On the topic of placing saws anywhere, there should be a weapon rack of some sort that you can place in any building, like a decoration, but that will let any colonist grab a sword or gun to defend themselves/murder others.

A million times this, even if only for redcoats/militia.

Soldiers dropping their weapons in a stockpile when they're taking a nap in a bunkhouse three buildings away is rather annoying when the neighbors come knocking.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'd really like it if soldiers could operate the armory, though I also feel like there should also be a barracks building type that only soldiers sleep in, and maybe NCOs could have a desk in there, etc. I guess I could just be putting cots in the armory, though there's nothing that would make it so that only soldiers sleep in them.

Speaking of sleeping arrangements, as it stands right now colonists will seek out the highest quality unoccupied bed right? They don't have any consideration for "sleeping in a bed above their station" or whatever other colonial era rhetoric? Are there plans to incentivise having individual houses, or a downside to just making massive bunkhouses that sleep the entire colony?

Still on the same topic, it would be nice to have either more cloth in the starting supplies, or an even lower option than the lower class cots that you could slap down until you can grow a crop of flax and get a textile workshop running, grass mats maybe?

I'm really looking forward to when there's options to build things to actually make your colony look like a town; roads, statues, walls/fences (I don't care if they are just reskinned gabions), lamps, benches, etc.

On the topic of fog of war will there still be solid black fog that you need to clear? or will the entire map just have fog from the beginning? I'd be really happy if it was the latter, clearing black fog is so tedious and unfun.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The black fog is a good thing, if you know where all the resources are it's too easy to plan ahead and make your colony optimal, which means you're just doing some rote bullshit rather than reacting to new knowledge you gain as you play.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

AndroidHub posted:

Still on the same topic, it would be nice to have either more cloth in the starting supplies, or an even lower option than the lower class cots that you could slap down until you can grow a crop of flax and get a textile workshop running, grass mats maybe?
I'd like something along these lines as well. While I understand it's not strictly necessary, I try early on to meet the 'food and beds for everybody' need when starting off. That turns into a hefty investment with having to get a crop of flax and a textile shop off the ground. (Haven't tried textile workbenches lately, but for most of rev34 only the rather expensive spinning mules seemed to be usable for producing cloth bolts)

Some sort of barracks and/or arms rack module would also be most welcome. HM's armed forces' reaction times are increased drastically when they have to schlep out of the chapel/bunkhouse to the stockpile to grab their arms and then off to the panicked cries of the citizen being accosted by bandits and/or fishmen. Also, on the topic of bandits and fishmen, could some logic to stagger attack timers be added? I've noticed in rev34c/rev35 that I was running into a lot of concurrent or almost concurrent attacks from both groups. I'd be either in the midst or just starting mop-up on a bandit/fishman attack when the other group would come waltzing up to my colony mob handed and looking for a scrap.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

K8.0 posted:

The black fog is a good thing, if you know where all the resources are it's too easy to plan ahead and make your colony optimal, which means you're just doing some rote bullshit rather than reacting to new knowledge you gain as you play.

As opposed to just plopping down buildings where you are placed or else starving to death if you take the time to explore with your redcoats to find a possible better location? I mean, presumably ore nodes and the like are the kind of thing you would need to see to know they are there, but I think it's completely reasonable to be able to see if there's a hill, or an open field, or where the coastline is from more than 20 feet away. Chalk it up to surveys from zeppelins if you have to, I just think having to manually explore to see the lay of the land takes away from what could be. Even if we could see the entire map with all the features, it won't do us that good until we have zepplin docks or a way to change supply/colonist drop locations or whatever.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

AndroidHub posted:

As opposed to just plopping down buildings where you are placed or else starving to death if you take the time to explore with your redcoats to find a possible better location? I mean, presumably ore nodes and the like are the kind of thing you would need to see to know they are there, but I think it's completely reasonable to be able to see if there's a hill, or an open field, or where the coastline is from more than 20 feet away. Chalk it up to surveys from zeppelins if you have to, I just think having to manually explore to see the lay of the land takes away from what could be. Even if we could see the entire map with all the features, it won't do us that good until we have zepplin docks or a way to change supply/colonist drop locations or whatever.

Have the greater terrain ( cliffs, hills, ect) always visible then have a randomized over print of nodes and trees near where stuff does exist but when you explore it the fog clears showing actual locations of stuff? To simulate the " I saw some rock outcrop over yonder " feeling. Or that's over thought. Whatevs

nvining
May 30, 2011

Revision 35A is now on the Experimental Branch. Amongst other things requested in this thread, it fixes loading and saving on international systems (I think) and also makes a number of changes and improvements to module placer behaviour. (note: I see I have a ticket for "doors can be placed sideways" which didn't exist when I stepped out of the office, so I will stress that this is a work in progress.)

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/revision-35a-now-in-experimental-branch.11412/

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

If you had the issue where your game would create save files but you would never see them in game, we especially want to hear from you to know if it works now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

With crops taking longer now, we need a stopgap for early beds even more I think.

• Locked thread