Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

paranoid randroid posted:

thank god someone streamlined my smiley face deliverables. i was tired of having to fish them out of the trash.
Couldn't you just use craigslist if you wanted to give away your old poo poo for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ArbitraryC posted:

Couldn't you just use craigslist if you wanted to give away your old poo poo for free?

yes

but it's not an APP!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Wait there's not a craigslist app?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

I like how Craigslist still looks like a website from 1998 and I hope they never change.

naem
May 29, 2011

Leave it to Germans to overthink toilets

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

VikingofRock posted:

Sure there is. It's called "Going to craigslist.org on your browser". Works great, the site runs super fast on mobile at all screen sizes and platforms just fine.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Needs disrupting IMO

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is a craigslist app but it doesn't show nudie stuff cause apple is a prude so pfffft

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
laughing my loving rear end off at this blog post that made it to top of HN today. this is some serious serious tech_culture.docx i cant even cherry pick quotes just admire it

http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/cultivated-disinterest-in-professional-sports
:goonsay:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

laughing my loving rear end off at this blog post that made it to top of HN today. this is some serious serious tech_culture.docx i cant even cherry pick quotes just admire it

I'm Benjamin Mako Hill and I'm a rebel with rather too many causes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I will come to your home at night and personally disrupt your sleep. $800

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

thathonkey posted:

This is amazing, it's like an alien coming to earth and trying to make like the locals.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wafflz posted:

This is amazing, it's like an alien coming to earth and trying to make like the locals.

Albert suggested that sports reflect the go-to topic for small talk and building rapport across class and context. But he suggested that almost everybody who used the term "working class struggle" was incapable of making small talk with members of the working class because — unlike most working class people (and most people in general) — educated people systematically cultivate ignorance in sports.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

haha

quote:

The machoness and absence of women in the highest levels of most professional sports bothers me deeply.

I guess he's never heard of tennis?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leftist forced to endure NFL, so he can relate to the lowly working class.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
my favorite part is when the touchdown sinks a homerun

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I heard the sports ball champion ship is this weekend

My girlfriend told me about it. She's real, you can text her. NO DON'T CALL THE NUMBER

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

etalian posted:

Leftist forced to endure NFL, so he can relate to the lowly working class.

lol

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Wafflz posted:

Using the word "cultivate" three times in a paragraph and a half really bothered me.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Wafflz posted:

lol if you don't ride one of these to your open plan playpen office you spend 16 hours a day at.

this is the worst thing i have ever seen

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CNN has a new interview series on SV:
http://money.cnn.com/technology/sex-drugs-silicon-valley/

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 1, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Burn down the SV, drag the VCs into the street and hang them from the intestines of the techies

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
IMHO

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I mean it couldnt hurt to try

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Burn down the SV, drag the VCs into the street and hang them from the intestines of the techies

Mankind will only be free when the last venture capitalist is strangled with the entrails of the last 'ideas guy'.

naem
May 29, 2011

Im posting on my iPhone 6+™ right now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

drat
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/25/technology/mike-judge-silicon-valley/

Q:Let's talk about drugs. What role do you think drugs play in Silicon Valley?

Mike Judge:There's always been a weird kind of drug culture to Silicon Valley. I feel like the programmer types had to have something to show they're not nerds. Back [when I was there] it was, "Oh, I race motorcycles, I go to Dead concerts, I do drugs." It didn't seem to really change their personalities too much, but, now that's kind of Burning Man and that sort of thing.

[But] people [in Silicon Valley] always seem to not quite know how to enjoy themselves. When they get successful, it's always a little bit awkward, like, "What do I spend the money on? What do I do? How do I enjoy it?" It doesn't always sit well with them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thathonkey posted:

It's a little baffling that there are actual people like this, it reads like it should have come from The Onion or something.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah best part is lots of people agreed i saw it at #1 spot on HN at one point which i think means it received lots of "upvotes" whatever the gently caress that means

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
sports are boring

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/29/technology/chris-messina-non-monogamy/index.html

Why I choose Non-Monogamy

"But as a child of divorce and an aspiring designer-entrepreneur in Silicon Valley, I was suspicious of marriage. Out here, we're data-positive and solution-oriented and if your product (i.e. marriage) is failing for 50% of your customers, then you need to fix it or offer something better. So when I discovered polyamory and non-monogamy as I headed to Burning Man in 2013, I realized I'd stumbled onto another way."

uhh lol. I hope this wasnt posted already

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Silicon Valley cast was at SF sketchfest this week:

http://recode.net/2015/02/01/silicon-valley-cast-learns-where-silicon-valley-is/

quote:

Miller, in particular, took an aggressive tone with the Bay Area crowd, calling it out for its “artisan cheeses” and “useless technology.”

“I love being in the Bay Area,” Miller said after a rant about messaging apps. “It feels like you guys have got a real handle on reality. Fairly representational of the United States as a whole.”

The audience was all too happy to be verbally abused. During a Q&A session, fan after fan was mocked for his quirks; one questioner lapsed into a tangent about Tesla’s APIs, while another eagerly asked if there would be more genitalia-based math jokes in the show’s second season.

“You are who we’re making fun of,” Miller said several times to the people at the microphone.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 1, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tech ~entrepreneurs~ with no self awareness? Why I never :monocle:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/29/technology/chris-messina-non-monogamy/index.html

Why I choose Non-Monogamy

"But as a child of divorce and an aspiring designer-entrepreneur in Silicon Valley, I was suspicious of marriage. Out here, we're data-positive and solution-oriented and if your product (i.e. marriage) is failing for 50% of your customers, then you need to fix it or offer something better. So when I discovered polyamory and non-monogamy as I headed to Burning Man in 2013, I realized I'd stumbled onto another way."

uhh lol. I hope this wasnt posted already

Hahaha omfg...

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

etalian posted:

Albert suggested that sports reflect the go-to topic for small talk and building rapport across class and context. But he suggested that almost everybody who used the term "working class struggle" was incapable of making small talk with members of the working class because — unlike most working class people (and most people in general) — educated people systematically cultivate ignorance in sports.

I did laugh pretty hard at this

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Hahaha omfg...

big data helps prevent a failed marriage experience.

I hope this happens again too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZFkqzuMjI

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Silicon Valley is a very funny show and I hope that they get more aggressively mocking in the future

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I like this trend of comedy shows going after tech culture bullshit. Silicon Valley is obviously the best at this because it is solely dedicated to it but Veep and Parks & Rec have had plenty of good jabs too

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Silicon Valley is a very funny show and I hope that they get more aggressively mocking in the future

TJ Miller pretty much summarized tech culture best, it's funny because it combines messianic self-importance with old fashioned greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLzgFkouSmc

Tech culture meets outdated instruments

• Locked thread