Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

XboxPants posted:

:wtc: And is it still barren of ore, too? 'Cause that was at least a semi-reasonable "stopgap until we decide what to do" solution. Is sand basically just a recolored dirt now?

I'm still going to hold out a foolish hope that sandphysics are just being reworked and will come back, but I know it's stupid to think that.

Huh? I just spent a while yesterday loving with collapsing sand. That other guy probably encountered the "warm sand", because "fine sand" and gravel slides are very much still in my game. Warm sand never had any physics on it before. There are no ores in fine sand or gravel now.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I have yet to find a micro dungeon...

I've stumbled across the old Avian tombs and Floran prisons, a bizarre Glitch themed treasure room, underground structures using the new Outpost tiles/items, and a few human and Apex micro-labs so far. Others have mentioned the old Apex obstacle courses that provide blank tech cards.

LAY-ZX posted:

(dreadwing stuff)

I didn't have trouble with him. I died once, and it was because I thought I could finish him off with one more shot before getting hit by the reinforcements he calls in. The other guy was having trouble so I suggested guns, assuming he was meleeing everything. There can be a hell of a lot of bullets flying around if you're neglecting the reinforcements, hence the ranged advice.

New topic - Culinary starbounders: What's your favorite food item? I've been neglecting my kitchen.

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also this is a good idea.

The oregen is just too spotty & random right now. Chucklefish know this and are gonna work on it, but still.

Like, if you take a 30x30 grid of dirt, and let's say it has 15 copper ore in it, that's a pretty reasonable amount of ore being spawned in. But if it's usually all spawned in tedious 2-3 piece chunks, rather than one satisfying chunk of 10-15 pieces. The player ends up with the same amount of ore. Balance isn't affected, the only thing that's affected is that it's less fun.

Also, instead of mining them out four at a time, you have to mine them our 1 or 2 at a time and do things in a massively inefficient way. So, again, even though you're mining the same amount of ore pieces, it actually takes you a much longer amount of time. And all of this is taking for granted that the player will even find all the pieces which, if they're scattered around haphazardly, isn't something you can take for granted at all. But we all know that ore visibility is a big issue so I didn't bring that up right away.

Long story short, ore could be made more clumpy which wouldn't break the balance, just make mining more fun.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

They should probably consider 2 things to make the little quests not a giant pain in the rear end. Increase the amount of 'large' dungeons that spawn, and make an upgrade to your ship's scanners that lets you see them. Even if it is just "avian presence detected", you can go to a couple of those planets till you find a tomb for the moon picture.

Also they should go back to having planet type not tied to difficulty. It gets boring a lot faster exploring the same 2 biomes, instead of 2*tier biomes.

From the earlier discussion about ranged weapons and armor, if they don't want to change how armor works, then make either something to modify a gun to have armor piercing, or a temporary buff from a stim that does the same. Having the low attack speed weapons always work against everything while the high attack speed is useless against half is just dumb. This effects staffs too actually, perfect one to test is water/petal. Unarmored monsters they do decent at killing, anything with armor are pretty useless. Staffs also have the drawback of having a cast time instead of cooldown, so are almost always outclassed by something like the bazooka from the same tier.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I found a Glitch room deep underground, with no lights. However, it had a pretty loud grandfather clock, so I found the room by digging towards the sound. One of the better ideas, I think.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Is there a less lovely portable hands-free light alternative to the lantern on a stick? I made a sun spawner just now with my first haul of rubium and boy was I disappointed, I guess it's more for damaging things.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

ZypherIM posted:

They should probably consider 2 things to make the little quests not a giant pain in the rear end. Increase the amount of 'large' dungeons that spawn, and make an upgrade to your ship's scanners that lets you see them. Even if it is just "avian presence detected", you can go to a couple of those planets till you find a tomb for the moon picture.

Also they should go back to having planet type not tied to difficulty. It gets boring a lot faster exploring the same 2 biomes, instead of 2*tier biomes.

From the earlier discussion about ranged weapons and armor, if they don't want to change how armor works, then make either something to modify a gun to have armor piercing, or a temporary buff from a stim that does the same. Having the low attack speed weapons always work against everything while the high attack speed is useless against half is just dumb. This effects staffs too actually, perfect one to test is water/petal. Unarmored monsters they do decent at killing, anything with armor are pretty useless. Staffs also have the drawback of having a cast time instead of cooldown, so are almost always outclassed by something like the bazooka from the same tier.

Ore illumination should be a tech, you should be able to upgrade your teleporter to be used underground at varying depths depending on tier, your ships navigation should be upgradable to display more info about planets and also, has anyone found any interesting back slot items? I found a lantern.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AndroidHub posted:

Is there a less lovely portable hands-free light alternative to the lantern on a stick? I made a sun spawner just now with my first haul of rubium and boy was I disappointed, I guess it's more for damaging things.

Well, you can craft glow-stims from toxic waste which you can grow from trees, but you said less lovely so I dunno if that applies here.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I just installed that glowing ores mod, which solves most of the problem, it's just bizarre that our space age superbeings can't figure out how to make a headlamp.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

AndroidHub posted:

I just installed that glowing ores mod, which solves most of the problem, it's just bizarre that our space age superbeings can't figure out how to make a headlamp.

There is actually a back slot item that's a lantern on a stick. It's pretty cool.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

My avatar reminds me of how excited I was for this game once. :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

To whomever was asking about the ship travel time, that's intentionally in the game in order to give more of a sense of travel and distance. I don't really mind it.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

You guys don't like mounts I guess, huh

Even though it says it's updated in the actual mod file it crashes me, otherwise it's the only drat mod I would use...*other than glowing ores*

I following this game since day one and only bought it with giraffe. Man I am so glad I did cause it has what I like so far. Finally beat the first boss so I can get out of this system.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

There is actually a back slot item that's a lantern on a stick. It's pretty cool.

Yeah, I specifically said the lantern on a stick is not really good enough but thanks bud :thumbsup:

Anyone have tips for the second penguin boss? he's kickin my rear end.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

AndroidHub posted:

There's the glowing helmet but I don't know if it's better than the lantern.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

How do you hit the switches up top while staying at the bottom?

The attack doesn't stay up forever. After I think two cycles of it, the boss stops a moment giving you time to hit switches before he starts shooting again. Theres also a safe spot directly above him for the third wave, and pretty much anything that happens for the bottom can be done on top too with jumping back and forth between the platforms. Its just a bigger pain in the butt.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
God drat this stupid penguin mecha boss fight is stupid. I know I went for the glass cannon armour option but two hits, loving really? And while this option gives me lots of energy to work with I don't have the energy to attack and dodge at the same time. I've got zero time to regen if I try that. The missiles 70% just loop back around to attack me again if I dodge anyway, so the only real option is to either shoot them out of the air or block with a shield.

Edit: It just killed me in one hit from full health gently caress this bullshit I'm cheating.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

AndroidHub posted:

Yeah, I specifically said the lantern on a stick is not really good enough but thanks bud :thumbsup:

Anyone have tips for the second penguin boss? he's kickin my rear end.

What is it that's getting you killed in that fight? Ground slams? Tanks? Carpetbombing?
Edit: Wait, poo poo, second penguin boss. Nevermind.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Slime posted:

God drat this stupid penguin mecha boss fight is stupid. I know I went for the glass cannon armour option but two hits, loving really? And while this option gives me lots of energy to work with I don't have the energy to attack and dodge at the same time. I've got zero time to regen if I try that. The missiles 70% just loop back around to attack me again if I dodge anyway, so the only real option is to either shoot them out of the air or block with a shield.

Edit: It just killed me in one hit from full health gently caress this bullshit I'm cheating.

Craft the defensive armor, use a melee weapon with a proc that destroys the missiles, win.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010
A modding question!

I'm attempting to do something which seems like it should be reasonably simple, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it.
Essentially, what I want to do is remove the 'teleport to owner' behavior from Capture Pod monsters; this should allow me (if I'm understanding how they work) to create a Zoo of captured creatures.

I've managed to get as far as unpacking the assets, and even tracked down the relevant file (captivestate.lua).
The simplest way to get what I want would seem to be setting 'teleportdistance' to an arbitrarily large number, but I'm not sure if this is likely to have unforeseen consequences. I also think there's likely to be a more elegant way to achieve my ends, but I don't know what it might be.

I'm also not sure- despite taking a look at the modding guides on the official forums- just how I go from "I have an edited vanilla file" to "I have a mod".

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I did that boss with the energy armor as well. Here are the big things I took away from the fight.

1. Have a low energy cost pistol in your off hand to shoot the missiles out of the air, and back off when he is using that. If you jump while near a wall they'll also usually hit the wall, but shooting is easier.
2. Hide in a corner when he goes mid-air, you can dodge all the projectiles, and heal if you get caught by one.
3. After he is airborne the first time, he gets a 1-shot attack. He'll walk to one side, then punch across. After the second air phase, he'll reverse before hitting the wall and punch across again. Double jump or bubble hover both can avoid it fairly easily once you know that it is coming.
4. If you have a weapon with ice damage it'll slow him down, and you can get a lot of extra damage in on him while he trundles to the middle of the room for an attack.

I pretty much hid in a corner shooting missiles out of the air, then when he came over to melee me I'd hit him with my ice weapon and keep stabbing him in the back as he walked back to the middle of the room. Died a time or two trying to rush damage on him when he was going mid-air, and once to each of the charge attacks. Taking it a bit slow, healing with the medpacks, it wasn't too bad to wear him down.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I don't care what anyone says about this game, this is loving amazing

:black101:

Now if we just had giant lava dwelling monsters.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
What I eventually did was walk in with a shield, a rapid fire gun, and a face smashing frost spear. Shoot down the 3 missiles with the gun, quickly switch to the spear and give him a couple of whacks, then prepare to shoot down missiles again. When he fires the electricity attack I backed into the corner and perfectly blocked the attacks he sent my way then whacked him again. When he used his one shot ability I dodged it then whacked him while he was stunned.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Smuggins posted:

Even though it says it's updated in the actual mod file it crashes me, otherwise it's the only drat mod I would use...*other than glowing ores*
Yeah, sorry. I posted ones that said updated but hadn't checked them all out personally.

I wanted to add to that list a mod worth getting:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/perennial-crops.2403/
This mod makes it so you never have to replant crops. Even stuff like potatoes will automatically replant, like tomatoes and corn and other crops do, so you don't have to keep going back over your farm to manually replant seeds.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/item-broadcaster-hyper-storage.1745/
Also wanted to double-down on this mod. You need to manually change the recipe files to read "wiringstation" instead of "wirestation", or just download the fix here: http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/itembroadcasterfixed
But being able to auto-sort is so useful, and I save so much time being able to just empty my entire inventory into a single chest when I come back home.

AndroidHub posted:

In a glowing biome I found a helmet that gives off decent amounts of light, so there's that I guess. Don't know if it's any better, plus it requires the helmet slot.
Or you could try this mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/lights-on-sticks.2505/
Adds a couple new backpack lights, which are much brighter than the lantern on a stick.

Also, sand physics are totally still in, but only with fine sand. Regular sand was never affected by gravity.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
i"m doing the tutorial quests currently. I'm on the one where it says you need to craft a Stone Furnace to progress, yet nothing happens when I do. :argh:

Edit: Nevermind, giving myself /admin showed that some mod was adding a duplicate stone furnace. Probably the racial crafting thing.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 2, 2015

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Does anyone know how to mess with ship and/or quest states? I finished the first boss but when I went to the AI to repair the FTL drive, the game crashed when I clicked. The quest is marked as complete but the ship is still broken. I can't fuel up or use the FTL. Also it ate the crystals.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does anyone know how to mess with ship and/or quest states? I finished the first boss but when I went to the AI to repair the FTL drive, the game crashed when I clicked. The quest is marked as complete but the ship is still broken. I can't fuel up or use the FTL. Also it ate the crystals.

The convenience store by the outpost sells crystals once you complete the quest.

LAY-ZX posted:

A friend of mine is running a server, but when playing on it a few planets cause the client to crash. Which planets do it is consistent and it happens to everyone. At first it was just annoying, but as of yesterday's patch the story missions now do it too. Anyone have any idea what's up?

By the way, anybody have any insight into this? Not being able to tag-team missions is really bumming us out.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 2, 2015

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

quote is not edit

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I wanted to add to that list a mod worth getting:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/perennial-crops.2403/
This mod makes it so you never have to replant crops. Even stuff like potatoes will automatically replant, like tomatoes and corn and other crops do, so you don't have to keep going back over your farm to manually replant seeds.

How do you install this? I made a folder called "PerennialCrops" under mods and dragged the modpak in but I don't think it's loading.

Also, there really needs to be a mod that makes MorphBall not have a running energy cost; that is loving stupid.

Edit: Welp, the modding decline has begun already. "Enhanced Body Shape" for bustier robots (and others) :suicide:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/enhanced-body-shape.774/

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 2, 2015

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

LAY-ZX posted:

A friend of mine is running a server, but when playing on it a few planets cause the client to crash. Which planets do it is consistent and it happens to everyone. At first it was just annoying, but as of yesterday's patch the story missions now do it too. Anyone have any idea what's up?

If it's anything like the problem I was having, try telling everyone to use the 64bit OpenGL launcher instead of the default. It fixed it for me.

If that doesn't help, I dunno.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

Also, there really needs to be a mod that makes MorphBall not have a running energy cost; that is loving stupid.

It doesn't negate fall damage either making it useless compared to the bounce bubble.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JerikTelorian posted:

How do you install this? I made a folder called "PerennialCrops" under mods and dragged the modpak in but I don't think it's loading.

Sorry, I should have specified.
That's an older mod version. It's still compatible, but you have to put the .modpak file directly into the /mods/ folder, rather than making a subfolder for it. It should work fine.
Also, I recommend redownloading it because it just updated within the last half hour to support a few wild plant types that were changed.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry, I should have specified.
That's an older mod version. It's still compatible, but you have to put the .modpak file directly into the /mods/ folder, rather than making a subfolder for it. It should work fine.
Also, I recommend redownloading it because it just updated within the last half hour to support a few wild plant types that were changed.

Thanks.

Just spotted this mod, which is pretty sweet: ground penetrating radar.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ground-penetrating-radar-station.2512/

This is really slick looking.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The only way I'd like the lens idea for the MM, is if the MM didn't get worse than it is or harder to upgrade and the lens stuff was purely super bonus mode to gently caress magmarock a new one.

Which seems to be what people who brought up the idea in the first place were intending. At least, I think.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

ZypherIM posted:

Yeah, these things need to happen. I might look into increasing the dungeon spawn rates. Maybe there's something that can be done about the scanning as well, since the server window reports when it's trying to place dungeons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Arguably one of my biggest problems in the game right now is that there are so many cool decorative building blocks and no way to craft most of them. I want to make a cool palace but I'd have to tear down an existing palace first.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Arguably one of my biggest problems in the game right now is that there are so many cool decorative building blocks and no way to craft most of them. I want to make a cool palace but I'd have to tear down an existing palace first.

Even things which show up a pricetag when you slot them into the 3D printer can end up not letting you put them into the printer options.

"Oh, hey. Lanterns I got from this mine. Shows up a price when I slot it *push button* oh, guess not."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

The only way I'd like the lens idea for the MM, is if the MM didn't get worse than it is or harder to upgrade and the lens stuff was purely super bonus mode to gently caress magmarock a new one.

Which seems to be what people who brought up the idea in the first place were intending. At least, I think.

Yeah I think a purely cosmetics swap from pick axes would be fine.

LAY-ZX posted:

By the way, anybody have any insight into this? Not being able to tag-team missions is really bumming us out.

Does it happen on specific biomes? I think I've heard about similar problems on maybe magma worlds or something. Ocean worlds would be an obvious suspect, too.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Anyone have seeds for the book pedastal and avian moon emblem for the quests after the second ship upgrade? I've found like 5 avian towers but no tombs, and I'm assuming the book comes from a glitch castle?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

Anyone have seeds for the book pedastal and avian moon emblem for the quests after the second ship upgrade? I've found like 5 avian towers but no tombs, and I'm assuming the book comes from a glitch castle?

I found one earlier, but I couldn't tell you where it is anymore. :( Try searching on a desert planet, Avian structures seem to spawn most often there.

I finished the Floran Party mission earlier, and I actually thought it was pretty good! That's one for three, but I was surprised to find even one that I liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

People sure a lot more lethal than I remember. I may only be in iron and have a dinky plasma rifle, but they have... that, but more lethal!

• Locked thread