Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Spider

I've got a phd in :weedass:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wobble Kitten
While I don't change my vote to not kill anyone, I feel something as I watch the tributes on the viewscreen, something predatory, something hungry.

This, I think...

This is the face of someone out for blood.

Bwee

Bwee posted:

In the NORTH, Theglavwen and Status_Surge make it past the power-line strewn forest into the mountains, because of course there are snow-covered mountains in this arena, why wouldn't there be? They make their way to the summit, thinking it'd be a great place to hide, but, what's this, at the top of the summit is a wildlife preserve!

You look around for a sign seeing what animals are preserved here, and, oh poo poo, it's a preserve for Yetis. And, oh poo poo again, there appears to be a Yeti staring right at you.

You begin running down the mountain, but the Yeti's gaining on you... you'll never be able to outrun them at your pace. You'll have to find a way to make it down the mountain.

Tributes of District 0.999999...! Your job is to write a brief paragraph describing how, as you're running away from the Yeti, you scrounge up materials on the mountain that will let you make it down the mountain. You also need to draw an awesome picture showing you escaping from the Yeti. The only real way to victory is to do something cool enough to impress the Capitol sponsors and get a package that will allow you to survive.

Please note that you can try to escape down the mountain together, but the Capitol sponsors won't be particularly impressed... you'll need to receive more votes than if you eachescape separately.

Capitol sponsors, your job is to pick which one of them you want to save!

Theglavwen posted:

A fundamental truth about Yeti is that they are a lot like bears, in that you don't have to be able to outrun one, you only need to be able to outrun your comrades.

Another truth about Yeti is that they are a lot like Klingons, all about being the biggest, baddest dude around, and can't help responding to a challenge.

When the Yeti appears, I take note of our surroundings. Whole lotta snow piled up on that cliff-face above us, and some massive sheets of ice jutting out and down like a bunch of gag British teeth. Before the creature starts to charge and all hope is lost, I cup my hands around my mouth and bellow as loud as I can, a challenging roar that echoes in the chasms and caves and bounces between peaks.

Oh, the Yeti doesn't like that at all. Beating its chest to show me how tough and manly it is, it bellows back with its mighty lungs, a cresting, cacophanous cry that dwarfs my own. Not quite enough though. I appear undaunted, and roar back my own challenge, meeting the threat of the lumbering brute.

Even from a distance I can see the chest of the Yeti expand as it sucks in the frigid air around us. Determined to cow me, it screams back its defiance, and the noise is a tsunami of sound, crashing violently into the rocks and snow and ice around us. That's done it. The mountain itself returns the roar this time, as those piled up sheets of snow and ice begin to cascade down the peaks in a mighty avalanche, heading straight for us.

Using the skills I've honed on the black sand beaches of District 0.999...'s Tidal Death Pools, I launch myself into the air towards the oncoming wave of snow. With a stylish mid-air flip, I land firmly upon the leading sheet of ice, and ride it to the crest of the frozen wave. Nonchalantly, I surf my way down the mountain at the rumbling speeds of nature's fury, a pace the Yeti cannot hope to match.

But what of my companion? Can he surf too? More importantly, is he still tempting enough to distract the Yeti from me? What if my challenge was too effective? As I pass my compatriot Surge, I throw him the big haunch of raw and bloody meat that I keep on me for unspecified reasons. "Here", I offer, "You can distract the Yeti with this!" Maybe that's true. It might also serve to help make him seem even tastier to the oncoming beast. Either way is a win.

Status_Surge posted:

As glaven surfs down the mountain side, and the avalanche/yeti grows closer i realise my simple lurking powers will not suffice. I pull out my robe,staff,and sword i had been storing in a pocket dimension and cast a powerful fire spell to melt the snow rushing towards me, and hopefully kill the yeti. however the snow forms still crashes around me, so i cast a shield spell, and let the snow cover me so as to protect me from other yeti's. luckily my tribute was kind enough to throw me a chunk of meat to survive on while i wait for the yeti's to catch up to him and eat him so i can slip away when they're distracted.

----------------

Bwee posted:

In the EAST, Classicist and ATCG make their way out of the city to the large volcano that's inexplicably in the middle of the Hungry Games arena. You walk up to the peak of the volcano and confirm that yes, it is a volcano, full of lava that is really hot. It doesn't appear too dangerous though... it's kind of boring, actually...

You begin roasting some marshmallows that you brought with you, because why wouldn't you have marshmallows, when you suddenly hear an ominous chanting from behind you. A tribe of warriors has climbed up atop the volcano, and, oh poo poo, their leader is that heart guy from Indiana Jones.

Holding a burning heart in his hand, the heart guy looks at each of you and says that the volcano demands a sacrifice. But, the volcano is on a diet, so they only need to sacrifice a single person.

Tributes of District 555! Your job is to write a brief paragraph describing why you should NOT be sacrificed, and follow it up with a neat picture of you pleading for your life.

Please note that you can work together and beg for mercy for the two of you, but you'll have to receive votes saying "let's sacrifice neither of them." If you each beg separately, you'll just have to receive fewer death votes than your fellow tribute.

Gamesmasters, Mola Ram (the heart guy) has a bluetooth headset connected directly to you. He's being paid directly by the gamesmasters (they give him a big selection of hearts to burn), so he'll listen to their votes. Your job is to vote for the person to sacrifice!

Classicist posted:

"mr ram. can i call you mola?" my mind is racing. "drat nice volcano you have. can't blame you for wanting to throw people down there." i illustrate the point by tossing one of my marshmallows down into the bubbling magma, but i'm actually making careful observation of its trajectory. if i want to pull this off, i'm going to need to calculate this perfectly.

"ahh, the glow of the lava reminds me of the gold refinery back in old district 555..." i trail off and look longingly up into the sky. the capitol loves a patriotic tribute. but something has been nagging me. back in the talent demonstration phase the judges told me that my close up magic routine would never come in handy in the arena. the years of abuse i've received about my magic all lead up to this moment.

"...but i just don't think i can be your sacrifice. you see, i've got this weak heart" i begin rhythmically thumping on my chest. this is called misdirection, i want them to look at it.

i make my move. under my other arm i've been holding a hatsune miku body pillow from sax's anime store back in the city. these are very hard to find in the outer districts so i grabbed it. i deftly rip the head off the miku pillow and pull it over atcg's own. then, in the same swooping motion i spin around and yell "not today motherfucker". appearing to push atcg into the volcano, i actually throw the pillow and scoop up atcg under my arm. his pale skin and pillowy physique make him indistinguishable from the original article.

guess you got your sacrifice. happy? :c00l: (i also grabbed the sunglasses while we were in the city)

---------

Bwee posted:

In the SOUTH, Alnilam and Stormyish are on the small tropical island a few hundred yards away from the shore. It's funny, though... something about this island, with its palm trees and coconuts and sand... it makes you go crazy. It could also be the hallucinogens the gamesmasters are pumping through the air.

You begin to hallucinate, thinking that you're Tom Hanks marooned on the island in that Cast Away movie. Your last few sane thoughts have you realize that the only way to survive is to get sponsorship from the Capitol. You know that the sponsors in the Capitol are *huge* Cast Away fans, so you figure the best way to live is to make your very own Wilson!

Tributes of District 27! Please write a few sentences describing the materials you salvage from the island to make your "Wilson," and why your Wilson is the very best. Then, because the citizens in the Capitol bore easily, please draw a pretty picture of your Wilson.

Please note that you can come up with a single Wilson for the two of you, but it better be a drat good one to impress the Capitol. If you work together, you'll need to receive more votes than if you each make your own Wilson.

Capitol sponsors, your job is to pick which one of these poor shipwrecked islanders you want to save!

Stormyish posted:

I'll explain it in a bit

alnilam posted:

<ooc stormyish and i were going to collaborate with me writing and her drawing, but I was running late and we lost communication and so I'm not sure if that's still the plan - here is my writeup for her drawing, but please give her the option to duck out of our partnership because i was slow, in which case i'll write/draw a different one>

e: <she said it's okay so okay cool this is a team entry>

The seagulls call, and Stormyish and Alnilam answer. The two foxes have buried themselves most of the way in sand, and in their mental haze, they all but believe they are trapped seagulls. Perhaps this lends an honest urgency to their impersonated seagull calls, because gull after gull begins to land on the beach. Are they there to help their unseen gull-friends? Or are they just attracted the pile of mollusks the hallucinating foxes pulled out of the sea and rubbed on their body “just to feel what calcium looks like”? It doesn't matter, because in seconds, Stormyish and Alnilam are upon them, believing they are the other tributes. After the cloud of feathers and blood settles, there is once again only the gentle sound of ocean waves breaking against the shore, reminding the drug-addled foxes of some tripped out noise music they heard once.

“Wilson,” Alnilam says, rubbing some seagull blood on himself. Not sure why he said that, he starts laughing. “Why did I... I don't know why I said Wilson, hahaha. This is the perfect beach. It's like snow.” Coming down from a wave of peak tripping into a lull of major body high, Stormyish considers Alnilam's words, and begins to tear the wings off of the dead gulls, tossing them into a pile. Alnilam picks one up and rubs it on his face, feeling the texture, and laughs. He rolls into a ball and starts rolling around in the pile until they are all collected on the outside of his salt-sticky body, laughing the whole time. Soon, he is encased in a sphere of white seagull wings.

Struck by the volleyball-like appearance of the ball, Stormyish picks it up to serve it, before she hears Alnilam laughing inside.

“Why is this Alnilam, but it doesn't look like Alnilam? Where is your face?” Hearing no response, she paints the face of a strange orange-man she thought she saw in the sun.

“Where are your legs?” Hearing only laughter and incoherent muttering, she places two seagull feet onto the bottom of the ball. She steps back, satisfied. “There's my friend Alnilam.”

Alnilam has stopped laughing. Deadly serious, he says “I'm wings. I can fly.” He repeats it several times. Stormyish holds onto the gull talons, and, high as two kites and tripping like a jump rope, they fly.

"Bird DNA," smiles Stormyish. Alnilam, tucked inside the wilsonball, only says "[inaudible]."

-------

Bwee posted:

In the WEST, bwatts and WindmillSlayer find themselves in an open grassland of sorts. It's strikingly similar to the savannah in Lion King. Haha, there's even a cute little watering hole and a big elephant skull marking the elephant graveyard... looks like the gamesmasters like Disney movies. Doesn't seem like there are any animals, though...

As you're taking in the surroudings, you suddenly hear a low growl coming from behind you. You look back and see that only yards away is a lion, ready to pounce!

Tributes of District 350! You're going to have to run, then hide!

Please write a few sentences describing where you run to on the savannah (knowing that there are precious few places to hide) and how you outrun the lion, then draw a picture depicting how you blend in with your surroundings. Remember, in the Hunger Games movie Peter Griffin used his bakery skills to disguise himself as mud... you can do better than that.

You can run and hide together, where you will have to receive votes specifically saying "let's kill neither of them", or you can run and hide separately, where you will just have to receive fewer death votes than your fellow tribute!

Gamesmasters! These lions are controlled like the blue cats in Avatar, so you have full pick over who they decide to kill. You can watch from the camera and tell Jerry in the Avatar pod which tribute to run after.

bwatts posted:

i follow windy as we run away from the lion, searching for a place to hide together. i stop the lion from eating us by tricking it with cool zig zag running, meaning it cannot properly work out where we are heading towards - lions (both 'natural' and controlled by people like jerry) have computers for brains, and by continunally changing our direction we overheat its brain which causes its sight to faulter, and it slows down. unfortunately, we are both out of breath by this point, and we stop to see where we can hide as the lion strides towards us.

the big rock is in the distance now, and between it and us lies a suspiciously autumnal pile of leaves. there is a is a magical-looking stone formation nearby, but we both immediately see our best chance at staying hidden: the lion itself. i throw the object i've been carrying on the ground, and the audience can finally see what it is... a d20. and it landed on a 20.
"they always said my luck was the stuff of legends", i say to windy.

i pick up the d20, and using the roll i expertly hide inside the lion's mouth as it begins to roar, placing myself in such a position that it cannot easily bite me. windy takes the opportunity to melt into the lion's shadow, visibile to the keen eye but not the currently-impaired lion.

Bwee
For voters:
NORTH: Choose who you want to LIVE
EAST: Choose who you want to DIE
SOUTH: Choose who you want to LIVE
WEST: Choose who you want to DIE

Please post the name of your votes for each in bold!

Important: Both tributes in a particular direction can survive! If you want this, please specifically say the following in bold

NORTH: I sponsor both of them!
EAST: Don't kill either of them!
SOUTH: I sponsor both of them!
WEST: Don't kill either of them!

FluffieDuckie

they're all too adorable :3

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

<thank you for taking time out of your paper writing to do this bwee:love:>

tao of lmao

i vote the same as duckie but kill everyone

tao of lmao

just brutally annihilate them all with bazookas

FluffieDuckie

that's not the same at all :colbert:

landy.
NORTH: I sponsor glavwen!
EAST: Kill both of them!

posting smiling
*eagerly nervously scans the sky and listens for the sound of cannons*

Stormyish

Classicist posted:

*eagerly nervously scans the sky and listens for the sound of cannons*

you mother fucker

Al Borland

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqdGV4dbUeQ&t=58s

0:50-1:32

I send a predator into the games.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wobble Kitten

Bwee posted:

THIS. Although, simultaneously, I'm starting to enthusiastically envision how they might brutally murder each other.

Status_Surge

I need ya, Surge. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.
as i gnaw on the chunk of meat glavwen chucked behind, i realise my plan may not work. but what could i do to increase my chances of survival? or what can i do to atleast take a few people with me i wonder? then it strikes me, i dig my way out of the snow and as i exit my snowy tomb i begin to chant the words passed down to me from the mad cultists.
chthulu, fhtagn
chthulu, fhtagn
chthulu, fhtagn
chthulu, fhatgn

FartGhost

Bwee posted:

you're making it to easy by letting me do this but im not complaining

bog pixie

North: Status_Surge should live
East: kill Classicist
South: Stormyish should live
West: don't kill either of them

Koishi Komeiji

North: Status_Surge
East: Classicist
South: Stormyish
West: bwatts

Bwee
We need more votes! Anyone can vote, please do! Also your vote counts more if you vote "in character" as a sponsor or gamesmaster!

Afro Doug

kill everyone and make me alive again

tao of lmao

as gamemaster i wish to see everyone torn apart by wolves and as sponsor i have the money to make this happen

Bwee

Bwee posted:

We need more votes! Anyone can vote, please do! Also your vote counts more if you vote "in character" as a sponsor or gamesmaster!

posting smiling
<<ooc: sticking this to remind everyone to vote. everyone who isn't a tribute already is allowed to vote! even if you're a noob, cast a vote! the power of life and death is in your hands, have fun with it!>>

Bwee posted:

For voters:

Important: Both tributes in a particular direction can survive! If you want this, please specifically say the following in bold

alnilam

<<ty for sticky please also 5 and goldmuine, for bwee's sake>>

ty manifisto

Stormyish

comedy

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
The Hungry Games are complicated and unforgiving. :(

Maybe the tributes could be allowed to vote, for situations not involving them of course. Although I think there's a number of deceased tributes who haven't returned either, so who knows.

Bwee
Please vote

joke_explainer

North: Status_Surge should live
East: kill Classicist
South: Stormyish should live
West: don't kill either of them

OPERATE MACHINERY

North: I sponsor both of them!
East: Don't kill either of them!
South: I sponsor both of them!
West: Don't kill either of them!

Bwee
Ok I tallied up everything and we have a few ties so I need just a few more votes... thanks

Bwee

Bwee fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 3, 2015

dogcrash truther

Bwee posted:

For voters:

NORTH: Theglavwen to LIVE
WEST: Windmillslayer to DIE

landy.

I thought if people grouped up we couldn't vote for individuals, and that if they didn't that we had to vote for them as individuals.

Bwee

Bull Runner posted:

I thought if people grouped up we couldn't vote for individuals, and that if they didn't that we had to vote for them as individuals.

Good point, please let me know how to better interpret the votes (this is complicated)

FluffieDuckie

Bwee posted:

Good point, please let me know how to better interpret the votes (this is complicated)

that dissertation is looking p good around now, huh?

landy.

Bwee posted:

Sorry, I was just wondering because I voted thinking this was the case and I wanted to know for future votes like this.

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Bwee posted:

Could you explain how you determine if a group hasn't gotten 'enough' votes? I think you say that they need to have 'more than they'd otherwise have'? What does that mean?

Bwee
Answers:

@Bull Runner I didn't make it absolutely clear that if they teamed up you could only vote for them together or for them dead, so we'll go with what people's votes are currently (don't want to wait for revotes)

@Theglavwen I didn't really think it through when making the rules because, this is byob, but "enough" votes is essentially when people stop voting when I keep begging for votes. So... now.

Apologies if these aren't the optimal voting strategies I will be sure not to host American Idol ever again :-/

City of Glompton

Who needs my vote the most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

Bwee posted:

Apologies if these aren't the optimal voting strategies I will be sure not to host American Idol ever again :-/

please keep hosting things. i love your threads

• Locked thread