Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Patriots won the Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 386 56.02%
Boo! 303 43.98%
Total: 689 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

panascope posted:

This season was a ton of fun, and after starting 3-3 I'm still surprised we made the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl. Hopefully we do something about the oline and get a legitimate #1 receiver. Really the worst part is no more football.

Chris "Hardball" Matthews is the new Seattle #1 receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

Jesus. gently caress Boston forever.

I super hope Brady and Belichik treat this like a swansong and retire.

They wont. gently caress bawston.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

You don't know pain until you've seen your child drown in the bathtub. And you certainly don't know how to wash your child.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So the TV that fell over... is the kid electrocuted or just can't handle having 40 pounds drop on them?

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Looks like Johnny Football just went into rehab...

http://deadspin.com/johnny-manziel-is-in-rehab-1683232798

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GaussianCopula posted:

Will Russel be this embarrassing when he talks about Jimmy Garoppolo in 15 years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg

"We saw a weak team, the New England Patriots, they are not good anymore." - About 2014 Super Bowl winners, AFC #1 seed during the regular season.

I hope it is remembered for all time how Alex Smith put his foot up the rear end of four-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady on national television.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Jesus. gently caress Boston forever.

I super hope Brady and Belichik treat this like a swansong and retire.

brady, when asked if he knew what this meant for his legacy, said no because he's got a lot more football left to play :sun:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Slow Graffiti posted:

I wish Dallas took him

Boba Phat
Feb 19, 2003

Deal With It

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a Seahawks fan it could be worse.

I could be a packer fan, not made it to the Super Bowl and watched my team collapse for an entire quarter and be terrible and bitter.

Or I could be a 9er fan and watch my team just blow itself up for no apparent reason and not even make the playoffs.

As it is 2 superbowls in a row is pretty amazing.

Still fire Bevell into the sun.

Another vote for this summary, although I think everybody is overreacting in calling for Bevell's head. The pass from the 1 yard line was a terrible call, but does that really outweigh how good this offense was all season? No, he's not perfect, but the offense was actually pretty good despite big losses to free agency, Harvin BS, and injuries.

Besides, the pick may be the play that sealed it but I'd have to say it's the defense that ultimately gave up that win. You're up by 10 in the 4th quarter and one of the best defenses of all time gives up 14 points. All the injuries just finally caught up to them and they gave up more points in the 4th quarter than they had THE PREVIOUS 8 GAMES COMBINED. If the defense could have held things together 1 more quarter then the Seahawks are hoisting the Lombardi. Sustaining an offensive drive in the 4th quarter wouldn't have hurt either. Win as a team, lose as a team.

Congrats to the Patriots and their fans. They played a good game and that win has to feel redemptive after the 2007 loss. The Patriots just taught the Seahawks what they learned the last time they played a SB in that stadium: No team is destined for anything.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It can't be said enough that Johnny Football was drafted because of a homeless person

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think Seattle, as it stands, should still be the favorite to win the NFC West. So far these are are projected UFAs (of any importance):

- James Carpenter
- Kevin Williams
- Heath Farwell
- Jeron Johnson
- Demarcus Dobbs
- Byron Maxwell
- Malcom Smith
- O'Brien Schofield

Carpenter wasn't bad last year, though he's not worth the 1st round money. He might get re-signed. Kevin Williams will probably retire. Heath Farwell was out all of this season but is good on special teams. Byron Maxwell is projected to garner a good amount of money as an FA, so I'm not sure Seattle will pony up to spend for him. Schofield almost wasn't a Seahawk this season until he failed his physical with the Giants. Malcolm Smith isn't anything special, and I hope someone overpays for him because of his "~super bowl MVP~".

Seattle is also projected to get a 4th, 5th and 6th round compensatory pick from last year's FA departures: http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-compensatory-draft-picks-for-2015/

Overall, the priority will be extending Wilson and Wagner to long-term deals, and probably get Lynch on a few years as well. I don't think the Wilson contract is going to destroy us like everyone projects, as well the salary cap keeps rising every year. We will still have to be frugal to fill the holes that will be in our roster, which means relying heavily on rookies in this year's draft. Our needs in the draft remain almost the same as last year: WR, OL (especially if Carpenter leaves), DL, and then probably another CB considering we're getting a little thin there.

I do think Dallas is the team to beat next year, since that offensive line is fantastic.

Overall, although the end result stings, this was a good Seattle season. In a way, feeling this pain is nice because it means we got this far to experience it. It means it was worthwhile to invest in it, or something.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wish Dallas took him

That would have been glorious.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I hope Johnny Manziel converts to Islam in rehab and comes back to win 10 Super Bowls in a row.

I want the old white hate. Give it to me.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

brady, when asked if he knew what this meant for his legacy, said no because he's got a lot more football left to play :sun:

:suicide:

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Wilson going from a 800k cap hit to a 15 million plus cap hit is a big deal even if it won't exactly destroy the team. I guess it is good the offense has no one to pay.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I don't know if it's just something I noticed more this year but it seems like in-game coaching this year (playoffs especially) was dreadful, so that pass play was a pretty fitting end to the season. Onto the time of Mel Kiper and Todd McShay.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cleveland broke a man in record time. Not even a full year. drat.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Poor John Football. I hope he finds his peace.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hand Row posted:

Wilson going from a 800k cap hit to a 15 million plus cap hit is a big deal even if it won't exactly destroy the team. I guess it is good the offense has no one to pay.

15 million? On what planet are you going to sign a mediocre throwing talent like Wilson to 15 million/year after taking you to back to back Superbowls? He's going to be getting 22+ million/year and it's going to cripple the franchise when the defense starts falling apart and it turns out you can't grow Marshawns on trees, not even in the Olympic Rainforest.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Or I could be a 9er fan and watch my team just blow itself up for no apparent reason and not even make the playoffs.

It is less frustrating to expect your team to be bad than it is to lose a Super Bowl from inside the 5 yard line.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

15 million? On what planet are you going to sign a mediocre throwing talent like Wilson to 15 million/year after taking you to back to back Superbowls? He's going to be getting 22+ million/year and it's going to cripple the franchise when the defense starts falling apart and it turns out you can't grow Marshawns on trees, not even in the Olympic Rainforest.

They might give him a hefty signing bonus but low initial salary for the first year so they can ameliorate the cap hit for a year - i.e. you give him 20m signing bonus, 4m this year, and then the salary jumps in the next few years to 24m but for the first year if it's a 5 year contract he only counts against the cap at 9m (at the cost of 29m for the rest of his contract). It would probably be a bad decision for the future - it's a young team, no sense in mortgaging their future for the present - but it is an option.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The cap hit, not what he will actually get on average with the signing bonus. For example Rodgers cap hit is like 18 mil.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

They might give him a hefty signing bonus but low initial salary for the first year so they can ameliorate the cap hit for a year - i.e. you give him 20m signing bonus, 4m this year, and then the salary jumps in the next few years to 24m but for the first year if it's a 5 year contract he only counts against the cap at 9m (at the cost of 29m for the rest of his contract). It would probably be a bad decision for the future - it's a young team, no sense in mortgaging their future for the present - but it is an option.

Yes, yes, cap wizardry aside, he's going to cost the Seahawks a lot of loving money.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yeah and Wagner too because he owns.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

evilweasel posted:

gently caress off forever into the sunset Brady

Or lose to Eli again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ozu posted:

I read unironic posts about Boston fans deserving this after all they've had to deal with these past weeks and years.

#BostonStrong

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

No Butt Stuff posted:

So the TV that fell over... is the kid electrocuted or just can't handle having 40 pounds drop on them?

My wife was a PICU nurse and actually said last night that I'd be surprised by the number of children she took care of due to falling tvs, etc. It's apparently been the only downside to flat panels becoming so ubiquitous.

The most disturbing to me was still the story she told me about a father who walked out of a garage with his little girl on his shoulder. As you'd expect the father didn't duck and it essentially scalped her. She lived though so yay!

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

King Hong Kong posted:

It is less frustrating to expect your team to be bad than it is to lose a Super Bowl from inside the 5 yard line.

It's certainly not frustrating for your team to come back from being down 22 only to lose it at the 7 yard line

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jesus. I guess I should be mounting my TVs to the wall studs with like 10 bolts?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I thought he drowned and was electrocuted by a radio falling into an overflowing tub.

I was in too much disbelief that it was an actual commercial to pay much attention.

I wasn't paying attention that closely, but gently caress I think your version is worse. lovely commercial for the Super Bowl. #withdad

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jesus. I guess I should be mounting my TVs to the wall studs with like 10 bolts?

Or just pay attention to what your kids are doing :v:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

No Butt Stuff posted:

The little strap that is often provided (but usually discarded by most), mounted to a wall stud, should be more than enough.

Intruder posted:

Or just pay attention to what your kids are doing :v:

TVs can be so easily tipped over now though that it isn't necessarily an issue of the parents being bad or not paying attention. In a lot of cases, sure, but kids are quick and stuff unfortunately happens before people can react fast enough.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 2, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bellmaker posted:

N:

V: 18-1 :getin:

No... we were the Patriots the entire time! :negative:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
When did we move Fathers' Day to Superbowl Sunday?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol 19-0 just isn't achievable

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Intruder posted:

lol 19-0 just isn't achievable

Not while a Manning lives

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Der Meister posted:

It's certainly not frustrating for your team to come back from being down 22 only to lose it at the 7 yard line

What team that I support do you think I am referencing?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Slow Graffiti posted:

I never thought I'd see a first round QB implode faster than JaMarcus.

Thank you Johnny Football. It's like he's taking the shortcut to Ryan Leaf's career.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a Seahawks fan it could be worse.

I could be a packer fan, not made it to the Super Bowl and watched my team collapse for an entire quarter and be terrible and bitter.

As it is 2 superbowls in a row is pretty amazing.

Still fire Bevell into the sun.

Holy moly this post reeks of bitterness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
The more I think about it the more I think that a pass was the right call

THAT pass however, was not the right play call gently caress you bevel die in a fire why are you trusting the game to ricardo lockette?!

• Locked thread