Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Patriots won the Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 386 56.02%
Boo! 303 43.98%
Total: 689 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nerve posted:

Holy moly this post reeks of bitterness

Seahawk tears will sustain me during this long offseason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Its saltier than a parma ham in here

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Koirhor posted:

Seahawk tears will sustain me during this long offseason

This really was the best possible outcome. Boston fans were already at peak levels of insufferable, so this changes nothing there, and the Seahawks fans are way funnier when their team loses.

Go Hawks(tm)

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Woke up and don't feel any better, especially if what I'm hearing about Edelman being concussed is true. I can't even look at it from a "welp I didn't expect us to get this far so it's all right in the end :) " perspective because I loving wanted to believe so hard that I was witnessing something magical. Well, I guess in a sense it was pretty magical to string me along with the illusion until the last possible moment.

In context, it's probably worse than SBXL and the Falcons divisional game combined. I'm not sure if I'll be able to stomach watching anything from this season again.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

King Hong Kong posted:

It is less frustrating to expect your team to be bad than it is to lose a Super Bowl from inside the 5 yard line.

Losing 4 Super Bowls in a row was much, much better than the 15 years of crap Bills fans have endured. Give me 1-2 days of depression over years on end of indifference mixed with occasional disgust any day.

Buck up Seahawks fans. Next year is another shot and your team should still be fun to watch.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Posit: Did Darren Bevell have a better gameplan then Dan Quinn or hell, even a better 4th quarter gameplan?

I'm still absorbing what happened, but hear me out here. Seahawks offense vs Patriots defense went about how the Patriots wanted. They limited Marshawn, he had a handful of runs where he got near 10 yards, but most of his were 2-4 yard gangtackles, and they mostly contained Wilson in the pocket, and utterly blanketed their primary receivers. But Bevell called plays that got tertiary options open downfield and they made plays.

Compare that to the Patriots offense vs the Seahawks defense, where they took away the Patriots run, but let the Patriots get Gronk and Edelman get lined up against the worst defenders on the field constantly and exploited those mis-matches. Their strategy has always been keep things simple and simply out-execute, but Brady spent most of the game picking up first downs like loving crazy.

Okay granted that last play wildly swings things, but for the most part, the Seahawks defense way underperformed expectations while the Seahawks offense either matched or outperformed.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Has AAC made an appearance yet? I can't be the only one eager to read his rationalizations

Kalli posted:

Posit: Did Darren Bevell have a better gameplan then Dan Quinn or hell, even a better 4th quarter gameplan?

I'm still absorbing what happened, but hear me out here. Seahawks offense vs Patriots defense went about how the Patriots wanted. They limited Marshawn, he had a handful of runs where he got near 10 yards, but most of his were 2-4 yard gangtackles, and they mostly contained Wilson in the pocket, and utterly blanketed their primary receivers. But Bevell called plays that got tertiary options open downfield and they made plays.

Compare that to the Patriots offense vs the Seahawks defense, where they took away the Patriots run, but let the Patriots get Gronk and Edelman get lined up against the worst defenders on the field constantly and exploited those mis-matches. Their strategy has always been keep things simple and simply out-execute, but Brady spent most of the game picking up first downs like loving crazy.

Okay granted that last play wildly swings things, but for the most part, the Seahawks defense way underperformed expectations while the Seahawks offense either matched or outperformed.

I dunno. A lot of the big plays Seattle had downfield felt like freak plays. At least twice the WR made a great play, the miracle catch was a total fluke, and outside those big moments Seattle didn't seem to do much. Felt like Classic Pats defense: Take away what's best, make the worst beat you. But they kept getting those freaky deep shots and I can only remember bad coverage on one.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 2, 2015

thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008
I don't think anyone outside of New England actually likes the Patriots. Dammit

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

thegoonofaudio posted:

I don't think anyone outside of New England actually likes the Patriots. Dammit

A huge portion of this very forum wanted then to win/are happy they won.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Febreeze posted:

Has AAC made an appearance yet? I can't be the only one eager to read his rationalizations

He vanished into the mists of TRP.

thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008

nerve posted:

Lemme live in my denial :smith:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rhix posted:

Losing 4 Super Bowls in a row was much, much better than the 15 years of crap Bills fans have endured. Give me 1-2 days of depression over years on end of indifference mixed with occasional disgust any day.

Buck up Seahawks fans. Next year is another shot and your team should still be fun to watch.

It's probably a less extreme version of how I felt about 2007. Yeah, it sucked to lose that game, but that doesn't take away how incredible that season was, and the Bills put how many guys in the HoF with that K-gun offense? It's always better to go to the playoffs then not, it's always better to lose a Superbowl then lose a divisional round game. It may loving hurt, but your favorite nickelback song over Thurman Thomas / Wes Welker highlights easily dulls the pain.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

They wanted the Pats to win out of spite for the Seahawks bandwagon fans... now we all hate the Pats even more.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Yeah I mean how the gently caress you gonna cover Gronk with a linebacker over and over? Also there was virtually no pressure on Brady for most of the game. Certainly hardly any on third downs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chilichimp posted:

They wanted the Pats to win out of spite for the Seahawks... now we all hate the Pats even more.

I have nothing against the Seahawks, only their fans

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gohuskies posted:

Tough loss for the Seahawks. But I think we still have the core of a strong team and if we resign key players we could be back in the Super Bowl sometime in the next three yeras
Yeah this is my feeling as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wow, I'd forgotten that on that helmet-to-helmet that might have concussed Edelman he didn't even go down, he caught himself on the ground and kept running. I can see how you'd miss that you had to pull a guy for concussion tests after the hit doesn't even take him down.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Febreeze posted:

Well, I mean there's no longer any purpose to trolling Pats fans for a while.

He'll be back.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Seeking solace.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650476&pagenumber=2745&perpage=40#post441033556

African AIDS cum posted:

I feel so incredibly sad

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

I have nothing against the Seahawks, only their fans

Agreed, and corrected.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Im not a fan of the pats but I can maturely respect quality play and appreciate seeing greatness in the making. Like watching Brady and Manning play is just so amazing I cant believe there are large numbers of people here who ruthlessly poo poo on them simply for being successful. Its small.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The Seahawks absolutely matched expectations. Russell Wilson throughout the season wasn't privy to throwing the ball as much as someone like Tom Brady and Marshawn Lynch took a lot of carries and the Run totaled 162 yards (nearly triple the Patriots) that game. The Seahawks did what one would expect in the Super Bowl.

Hell, they even had more yards than their Broncos dismantling last year! They technically did a better job this year moving the ball than the last despite scoring almost half the points. A lot of this is on the Seahawks defense not being able to repeat what they did against Denver.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

They wanted the Pats to win out of spite for the Seahawks bandwagon fans... now we all hate the Pats even more.

Fact.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Chilichimp posted:

Yes.
Truly a Phyrric victory for all of us.

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King
The end of the game last night reminded me of the greatest drive in Colts history, when we marched down the field and scored a touchdown to defeat the evil Patriots in the AFCCG and claim our first Super Bowl victory (the Bears were going to be destroyed by whichever afc team won, gently caress you bears fans).

Peyton Manning, the best qb of all time, is in the huddle with two hall of fame wide recievers and loving Addai and Rhodes sharing carries. And Marvin loving Harrison tells Peyton, we need to run it. And we rushed all over them that possesion and punched it in. Didn't get cute and try fancy timing passes, nope just the most basic football play there is, the run. I will go to my grave not understanding the last play of this Super Bowl, and I didn't even have a horse in the race.

And as an aside, it was a god drat slant being jumped that put the nail in our coffin against the Saints in our last super bowl, so I am not a big fan of running a slant in the fourth quarter of the super bowl when the game is on the line.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chilichimp posted:

Nah, I wanted the Pats to win because Touchdown Tom is cool and good and likable and now Gronk and Revis and Blount have rings which owns

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Intruder posted:

Nah, I wanted the Pats to win because Touchdown Tom is cool and good and likable and now Gronk and Revis and Blount have rings which owns

None of these things are correct

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Intruder posted:

Or just pay attention to what your kids are doing :v:

no matter how vigilant you are, a child will find a way to maim themselves in the .2 seconds you turn away.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

If the image of Touchdown Tom lifting yet another trophy doesn't fill you with murderous rage then I don't think we can be friends. Or maybe you know fewer Pats fans IRL than me.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Revis getting a ring in a game against Sherman kind of owns after Sherman spent his entire breakout season trying to bait Revis into a twitter beef.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zakharov posted:

If the image of Touchdown Tom lifting yet another trophy doesn't fill you with murderous rage then I don't think we can be friends. Or maybe you know fewer Pats fans IRL than me.

how about the thought of him going for his thumb ring next season

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Gronk, Revis, and Blount are all position favorites of mine, so I can get behind this. gently caress Brady and Belichick, though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEqbSQ_2O9w

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

evilweasel posted:

Why do you hate me

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

knowing tom, the thumb ring was probably the first one he put on

e: and then Gisele told him to knock that poo poo off and he got all mopey and put it on a normal finger

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tom Brady is such a complete nothing personality that I am not sure why anyone would have a strong opinion on him one way or the other beyond thinking he was good at football and exceptionally handsome.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

God, imagine being the fifth corner and making that play

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Febreeze posted:

He jumped the shark when he changed his gimmick as the Hawks were losing to the Pack to the 'Anti-Russell Wilson Guy,' posting "A mobile QB will never work in the NFL" then immediately flipping back once they won.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Poor Mankins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Im not a fan of the pats but I can maturely respect quality play and appreciate seeing greatness in the making. Like watching Brady and Manning play is just so amazing I cant believe there are large numbers of people here who ruthlessly poo poo on them simply for being successful. Its small.

It's not generally about the success, at least for Brady. Manning isn't nearly so reviled, as he tends not to be a prima-donna on and off the field.

• Locked thread