Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
do u remember the friends and seinfeld crossover special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I'd legitimately have watched Seinfeld: The prison year

they did a surprisingly decent seinfeld prison skit on snl i think it was

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
it took place in OZ. it was funny

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
all posters here are george, but they don't get the hot womens

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

do u remember the friends and seinfeld crossover special
Did this actually happen?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hey pedants just for the record, the immutable truth is that a Live Studio Audience is just as loving annoying as canned laughter and people will always call studio audiences a laugh track, and there's nothing you can do about it.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

hemophilia posted:

Hey pedants just for the record, the immutable truth is that a Live Studio Audience is just as loving annoying as canned laughter and people will always call studio audiences a laugh track, and there's nothing you can do about it.

HahahHAHAHAHA

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I liked Seinfeld but the finale was legitimately terrible. And not because it pointed out what assholes they were, that was fine. It was just lazy as hell and very very poorly executed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

opus111 posted:

are you like 12? there are hudreds of great old sitcoms with a laughtrack.
Hundreds? Can you name more than ~10 per decade that are legitimately good and not just something you enjoy watching for the sake of nostalgia?

Bitter Mushroom posted:

seinfeld was filmed in front of an audience so it actually doesn't have a laughtrack you damnable retards. That's like saying you were annoyed by seeing As You Like It in a theatre because of the laughtrack. Baka
They still tell the audience when and when not to laugh, and most still added in canned laughter. By "laughtrack" we mean its the typical mutli-camera studio setup with audible audience laughter.

That said, Seinfeld and some other shows were less annoying about it because they didn't seem to pause long for laughter as often.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Lightanchor posted:

Are you insane. George was happy his fiancee died and Elaine drove the Soup Nazi out of town by blackmailing him with the recipes she found in the armoire he gave her as a gift.

It was funny that the cast were awful lovely people but it was great to draw attention to how awful they were in the final episode.

i mean they kinda are awful and lovely but people act like it was some whole new kind of sitcom character. Sam Malone for one is pretty much worse then any of them.

I also dont get when people say the show is "about nothing" because that describes nearly every sitcom ever too.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Neither.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

I also dont get when people say the show is "about nothing" because that describes nearly every sitcom ever too.
Yeah I never got that. Seinfeld was about 4 annoying New York Jews and Friends was about 6 annoying New York WASPs(well 5 WASPs and a Jew)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Curb Your Enthusiasm whole season 7 or 8 was about the Seinfeld reunion show and imo it makes up for the lovely finale

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i mean they kinda are awful and lovely but people act like it was some whole new kind of sitcom character. Sam Malone for one is pretty much worse then any of them.

well you see, before seinfeld in the early 80's and 70's, sitcoms still had a gimmick like MASH or Taxi or Newhart where the human relationships were affected by external events such as war or running a business or getting stranded in an island or being airline pilots

Seinfeld gave up all of that and just went "gently caress it, let's do a show about our empty meaningless every day lives" and turns out it was more relatable and funnier than watching a guy TRY TO SAVE THE FAMILY BUSINESS etc

Arguably the Cosby show was kind of that concept, but it had the small issue of being a successful black family in a racist country and it had a lot of "morality lesson" shows which I don't think Seinfeld ever had one of

After Seinfeld, sitcoms majorly gave up on having a situational gimmick, which is why NOW every show seems to be about nothing and still could be funny (workaholics, happy endings, etc)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Don Tacorleone posted:

and it had a lot of "morality lesson" shows which I don't think Seinfeld ever had one of
Except the last episode where the moral was these characters are all awful people and should be in jail.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i get what you're saying but I'd argue that Cheers or even loving Golden Girls did that first.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Go to jail for year

*all four in same cell*

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No results found for "teri hatcher and the curse of the phantom bum eggs".

Results for teri hatcher and the curse of the phantom bum eggs (without quotes):

Teri Hatcher completes triathlon just months before she ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Teri-Hatcher-shows-youngsters-completing-grueli...
14 Sep 2014 - Superfit Teri Hatcher shows she can keep up with the youngsters completing ... Endurance: Actress Teri Hatcher competing in the Nautica Malibu ...... Biel is expecting... with shot of him kissing her bare bump; The Beckhams, ...
Missing: curse ‎phantom ‎eggs

d*mn

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I like the finale. They are all terrible people and I consider it just, what happened to them.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Finale and puerto rican day parade episodes are two of the only legit bad episodes in the show's run. There's maybe 3 other really bad ones and the rest are solid. That's drat impressive.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Home Improvement is the best sitcom of all time. It is heartfelt, well acted, and produces more laughs per minute than any other show.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Finale and puerto rican day parade episodes are two of the only legit bad episodes in the show's run. There's maybe 3 other really bad ones and the rest are solid. That's drat impressive.

theres an episode where george turns blue

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

RideTheSpiral posted:

theres an episode where george turns blue

I don't remember that one but it sounds great

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

RideTheSpiral posted:

if you like series 8 & 9 of seinfeld i legit feel sorry for you because you are really dumb and dont get the show you think you like
season 9 got reallllly cartoony
like super over the top premises for episodes and george is yelling all the time

i was rewatching some of these episodes that i thought were still great back in the day and they dont hold up as much as the earlier seasons at all

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

JazzFlight posted:

season 9 got reallllly cartoony
like super over the top premises for episodes and george is yelling all the time

i was rewatching some of these episodes that i thought were still great back in the day and they dont hold up as much as the earlier seasons at all

i remember thinking episodes like the slicer and the merv griffith show were hilarious but actually they're godawfil and not funny

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Seinfeld posted:

The episode starts out as normal, with Jerry’s apartment, but the camera is much more steady. Jerry walks out as though he’s been drugged and remarks that all of his family and friends have been dying lately. His buzzer rings and it’s George. George runs up, half crying and tells Jerry he’s seen something terrible. He’s mumbling and stuttering for about five minutes until he can form a sentence. There are still pauses for humor, but there is no audience or laugh track. George informs Jerry that planes have crashed into the twin towers due to a terrorist attack on New York.

Jerry turns on the news and you can see modern footage of the 9/11 attacks, all pré-filmed several years beforehand. George says that isn't the worst part: Elaine and Kramer were in the towers at the time of the bombing. What proceeds is a graphic and explicit phone call of screaming and crying and Kramer saying that something terrible has happened, and Elaine is dead. Kramer screams there’s no air in the building, and he’s burning to death, and that he’s going to jump.

The camera cuts to live footage of a man falling from the twin towers. George genuinely looks upset and says “I’m sorry Larry, but I can’t go through with this” and he tries to walk off the set, but people stop him and push him towards the stage. He walks out Jerry’s prop window and you can hear him calling his agent. There’s a lot of mumbling, and you can see candles being lit behind the stage.

Jerry goes over to the bookcase and pulls it aside, revealing a ceremonial black table with candles, a dinner plate, and a strange box. There is a Masonic symbol against black cloth just outside where the fake stage window would be. Jerry says some weird things in a foreign dialect, and one cut of the camera shows a poster of Barack Obama (This episode originally aired in 1995). The scene ends with Jerry waking up in bed, as though it’s all a nightmare. Kramer comes in and asks if Jerry has seen a lizard. Jerry laughs and says “We are the lizards” and the camera zooms slightly. His eyes become slivered, like almonds.

The tape is only 7 minutes long, and what proceeds is just 20 minutes of dead air. If you continue watching to the end, it seems there are three more news reports tacked on. The first is about an outbreak of swine flu, the second about a train bombing, and the third...

This is how it should have ended.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How bad was it??

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You guys don't seem very educated on the subject of Seinfeld.

Larry David left after season 7 leaving Jerry Seinfeld as the main writer/director, that's why season 8 and especially 9 are so different. Season 9 was meant to highlight how mentally hosed up these individuals were (George's yelling and Jerry's increased OCD) which turned out a little over the top.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

a bone to pick posted:

You guys don't seem very educated on the subject of Seinfeld.

Larry David left after season 7 leaving Jerry Seinfeld as the main writer/director, that's why season 8 and especially 9 are so different. Season 9 was meant to highlight how mentally hosed up these individuals were (George's yelling and Jerry's increased OCD) which turned out a little over the top.
they also added unusual retcon quirks for characters in the later seasons
like george apparently always had a huge wallet even though he never did before
or he always takes his shirt off when taking a dump but in the vandelay industries ep we see he rushing outta the bathroom with his shirt on
or kramer shaved his chest and if you see it it should make you gasp in horror but weve seen him shirtless a lot before

edit: and i cant believe that frogger machine had his high score from 20 years ago when the pizza place would have either turned the power off every night or lost power during a blackout
the story required the machine to have a battery when crossing the street so you cant pretend that it was a special one that could save scores after losing power

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 3, 2015

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

JazzFlight posted:

they also added unusual retcon quirks for characters in the later seasons
like george apparently always had a huge wallet even though he never did before
or he always takes his shirt off when taking a dump but in the vandelay industries ep we see he rushing outta the bathroom with his shirt on
or kramer shaved his chest and if you see it it should make you gasp in horror but weve seen him shirtless a lot before

also kramer goes from taking baths in the early series to a powerful shower head being vital to his entire personality

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXSGV5wEv1o

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
i used to hate the backwards episode but it grew on me over the years. seinfeld was a pretty great show and even the cartoonish later seasons still had some really funny moments. "the pothole" is an underrated one from the later seasons cause i like how the result of all the plots converging in that episode is newman and his mail truck full of frozen flounder getting engulfed in flames on the expressway in the middle of the night. yeah it's ridiculous as hell but who gives a poo poo if it's unexpected and funny?

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
but yeah the finale was disappointing. them going to jail isn't a bad end result, but everything in-between the plane almost crashing and the final verdict is just really lazy and flat.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

George's attitude change to an angry guy was not good at all. "The Burning" is probably the worst example of this. Pathetic George from the first two seasons was the best George, even though those seasons weren't great. Season 8 and 9 was a series of great Seinfeld premises that just weren't executed well, and that includes the finale. The characters just felt like slightly exaggerated caricatures of themselves.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Not An Irish Monk posted:

i used to hate the backwards episode but it grew on me over the years. seinfeld was a pretty great show and even the cartoonish later seasons still had some really funny moments. "the pothole" is an underrated one from the later seasons cause i like how the result of all the plots converging in that episode is newman and his mail truck full of frozen flounder getting engulfed in flames on the expressway in the middle of the night. yeah it's ridiculous as hell but who gives a poo poo if it's unexpected and funny?
oh im not saying the last season isnt funny it definitely has some great moments
its just a different kind of funny that doesnt cleanly fit with the previous seasons
if they kept going after 9 it wouldnt be recognizable as the same show

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

opus111 posted:

people think they're bad characters but they're just repeating other idiots. those 4 always stuck up for each other - they were good peeps.

hahaha no ive seen enough episodes to know that all four of them would be considered pretty genuinely lovely people by most standards but hey good for you if your standards are lower?

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
if the always sunny finale was a parody of the seinfeld finale i'd be ok with that

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

oh im not saying the last season isnt funny it definitely has some great moments
its just a different kind of funny that doesnt cleanly fit with the previous seasons
if they kept going after 9 it wouldnt be recognizable as the same show

yeah all that is vey true. i'd rather watch the last couple seasons than the first couple seasons honestly. it's a weird show in that it doesn't start getting good until like season 3. or maybe those early seasons have just aged that poorly idk

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Not An Irish Monk posted:

yeah all that is vey true. i'd rather watch the last couple seasons than the first couple seasons honestly. it's a weird show in that it doesn't start getting good until like season 3. or maybe those early seasons have just aged that poorly idk

2 3 4 5 6 are good. 7 is ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The finale wouldve been great if they kept the clipshow to a minimum. The idea of all the poo poo these assholes did finally catching up with them is pretty great, but we didnt need 20 minutes of footage we have already seen.

• Locked thread