Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
That's good that Sec+ seems simple since the air force base near me must've landed a decently large contract (Scott) and I'm scrambling to get that since most of them require it before hiring. Honestly I'm more annoyed by the fact most of them are Top Secret clearance since that sounds like a pain. Not worried about it, just sounds like a lot of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stanos posted:

That's good that Sec+ seems simple since the air force base near me must've landed a decently large contract (Scott) and I'm scrambling to get that since most of them require it before hiring. Honestly I'm more annoyed by the fact most of them are Top Secret clearance since that sounds like a pain. Not worried about it, just sounds like a lot of work.

After you fill out the initial paperwork, the investigators take care of it all. The problem is that it usually takes 6 months to a year to finish, and most companies hiring for direct labor contracts don't want to wait that long, so they won't sponsor you for it. Getting sponsored for a Secret clearance is a lot easier for this reason.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Woo, passed the Security+ with a 787. Not as high as I'd hoped but given that I have no professional experience or previous certificates, I'm pretty happy.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Congrats!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Elucidarius posted:

Woo, passed the Security+ with a 787. Not as high as I'd hoped but given that I have no professional experience or previous certificates, I'm pretty happy.

Very nice start. Congrats! I remember getting my first cert and feeling like "Hey, I'm kinda legitimate now." :)

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Elucidarius posted:

Nice! It's definitely a confidence booster.

Quaelopec
Oct 25, 2009

Quaelopec fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 21, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is the best way to get a paper-based prep for the 1Y0-200 Xendesk 7 exam just basically printing out and hyperlinking individual items from the exam guide? Still seems like there's no books, and it's easier for me to study by reading/writing/taking notes than watching videos. I'm not optimistic about my company springing for training either.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MJP posted:

Is the best way to get a paper-based prep for the 1Y0-200 Xendesk 7 exam just basically printing out and hyperlinking individual items from the exam guide? Still seems like there's no books, and it's easier for me to study by reading/writing/taking notes than watching videos. I'm not optimistic about my company springing for training either.

CBT Nuggets?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Quaelopec posted:

I'm looking to get my Net+ finally. Are the suggestions for it in the OP still fine or are there better resources you guys prefer now?

Preemptive warning that you might get people telling you to skip Network+ and just go for ICND1. There is a lot of overlap though Network+ gives you a lot of high level conceptual takes on things that might be helpful for you, depending on where you're at. I liked what I got out of it, personally.

Anyway, I took and passed the test using Mike Meyers' book. I liked it. A lot of people here like Todd Lammle for the CCNA book, and he's got a Net+ one too, so you might consider that. I've got no experience with it though.

Also, check out Professor Messer for his Network+ videos; they're basically as good as CBT Nuggets imo, and free.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Quaelopec posted:

I'm looking to get my Net+ finally. Are the suggestions for it in the OP still fine or are there better resources you guys prefer now?

Seconding waht Japanese Dating Sim said. I also used CBT and Mike Meyer's book and passed no problems. I feel like Net+ gives you a good foundation to work from for ICND1 if you;re going to go that route.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

Someone's never had to rack a switch in an unventilated closet in an unairconditioned building in summer time.

Once or twice, I have. Factories that kept their equipment in "the smoking room", schools in SE MI that, unusually, kept their stuff in the boiler room. I fondly remember wiring up a lawyers office that smelled like cigar smoke and piss. Does that count? Nothing that even compares to the days of appliance repair. Current day finds me more on the remote end of things; management. I'll prefer the openess and the complexity of a colocate to the client installation angle anyday. Especially if I can remote into it from the comfort of the operations room.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

CBT Nuggets?

Paper-based. I've done best on my exams by reading the material and taking notes, then going back and highlighting, then compiling and correlating.

Staring at screens just doesn't do it for actual learning unless I'm really passionate about the subject. I'm getting the Xendesk cert in hopes of learning from the book on how to better manage our Xendesk infrastructure.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I went through the 20+ sample Network+ questions and got all but two correct. If that's really representative of the difficulty I feel like I should do this one right away for my first cert.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

I went through the 20+ sample Network+ questions and got all but two correct. If that's really representative of the difficulty I feel like I should do this one right away for my first cert.

:lol: Uh yeah I don't think you'll have any trouble with it. Though at your experience level, I'm not sure if the cost/benefit ratio's good enough for you to even pay for the exam?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm looking for work right now so it seems like a good way to get that first cert on my resume to make HR people happier. Then I'll never have to explain again why I don't have any. I can move on after that to one of those MS ones I never find the time to finish, like Server 2012 admin.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm looking for work right now so it seems like a good way to get that first cert on my resume to make HR people happier. Then I'll never have to explain again why I don't have any. I can move on after that to one of those MS ones I never find the time to finish, like Server 2012 admin.

Hell DT, just knock out the Net+ and Sec+ certs (I'm thinking you can get them in less than a week) and then HR will never ask you a question about certs ever again.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to study and pass the MCSA Server 2008 tests without having a 2008 R2 license? We actually have three at work but they're part of critical media servers that I can't really mess around with. I have a bunch of z400 workstations I could use to load it onto but I don't see an option for less than $500.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

While the test is 2008 based, I've been through (and failed on) enough of them that there is a specific distinction between the two. Things like ocsetup is depreciated by R2 and I know they hit you with it's replacement DISM.

You can spin up a really robust lab in the 180 day limit of the R2 VHD/iso download direct from microsoft.

Also microsoft has a ton of virtual labs for you to play in! https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I hadn't seen those virtual labs before. They're pretty cool!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I got my A+ back in high school roughly 6 years ago, right before they changed them to expire but I don't have proof. I don't have any certs but I'm interested in getting back into IT. What should I be looking at? Should I list my A+ on resumes without anything to back it up? From looking at a few pages, folks seem to like the CCNA, is that a good foundation?

e: VVV yeah, sorry I'm phoneposting and wasn't thinking. I want to get into server admin type work.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 1, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I've decided to wait till I get my Bachelors to take the A/Network+ exams, considering BOTH of them are about to expire soon.

also Cybrary is the best thing i want everyone to know about

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 1, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Chakan posted:

I got my A+ back in high school roughly 6 years ago, right before they changed them to expire but I don't have proof. I don't have any certs but I'm interested in getting back into IT. What should I be looking at? Should I list my A+ on resumes without anything to back it up? From looking at a few pages, folks seem to like the CCNA, is that a good foundation?

Well, what do you want to do in IT? It'll influence what path you take with certs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Race Realists posted:

I've decided to wait till I get my Bachelors to take the A/Network+ exams, considering BOTH of them are about to expire soon.

also Cybrary is the best thing i want everyone to know about

On the other hand you can get the a+ now for all your sweet vista installation needs.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Chakan posted:

e: VVV yeah, sorry I'm phoneposting and wasn't thinking. I want to get into server admin type work.

Not knowing your full background/history, here's what I'd do if I had no certs or experience:

MCTS: Windows 7
MCSA: Server 2012
MCSE: Server Infrastructure

You'll probably struggle to do the MCSA or MCSE without relevant industry experience

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ahdinko posted:

Not knowing your full background/history, here's what I'd do if I had no certs or experience:

MCTS: Windows 7
MCSA: Server 2012
MCSE: Server Infrastructure

You'll probably struggle to do the MCSA or MCSE without relevant industry experience

Without knowing what he wants to do, there's no way to recommend any type of cert. The most general you could go would be like, Sec+ maybe, since it's a baseline req for so many government positions in the US and is vendor-neutral?

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Has anyone had any experience with Cisco's online training materials and how it compares to CBTNuggets for self study cert training?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Haven't used Cisco's but CBTNuggets is always recommended.

Have any of you gone through any of Amazon's AWS certification courses? I'd like to work towards becoming an infrastructure/cloud engineer.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 3, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys think there's ever a risk of getting too many certifications? Assuming that someone's not using test dumps and such.

Just wondering since my job is willing to pay for basically everything and I'm starting to take full advantage of it... just don't want to go overboard and make my resume look odd for my experience level.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Do you guys think there's ever a risk of getting too many certifications? Assuming that someone's not using test dumps and such.

Just wondering since my job is willing to pay for basically everything and I'm starting to take full advantage of it... just don't want to go overboard and make my resume look odd for my experience level.

You can never learn too much I would say, and you don't necessarily have to list every last cert you've earned, you know?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

One of my teachers from school poo poo out an alphabet soup of certs that he has after his name. He also drives a Tesla.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Get all the certs, when you apply fora job, only list relevant ones for that job, i.e. you are applying as a network admin, only list network related certs, you are applying as a sys admin, only list certs related to that etc.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Vendictus Prime posted:

Has anyone had any experience with Cisco's online training materials and how it compares to CBTNuggets for self study cert training?

I thought Netacad was alright, a bit dry but it got the point across.

Quaelopec
Oct 25, 2009

Quaelopec fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 21, 2018

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I recently passed the ITIL foundation exam. Here's my guide for anyone who is interested.

Weeks 1&2: Read this book and take notes http://www.amazon.com/ITIL-Foundation-Exam-Study-Guide/dp/1119942756/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423002387&sr=8-3&keywords=itil+books
Weeks 3&4: Read this book and take notes http://www.amazon.com/Itil%C2%AE-Fo...ords=itil+books
Week 5: Review your notes from the prior four weeks.
Week 6: Take the practice exams in this book http://www.amazon.com/ITIL-Exam-Questions-Answers-Explanations/dp/0989470318/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z
Week 7: Take the test

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
ignore

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I'm not far from taking the 70-410. Any tips apart from "know powershell"?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

How much have you vm'd out in a lab?

On topic: I love how microsofts book walks you through setting up windows deployment services, but never takes you through the deployment. It will literally stop at configuring the multicasting, which allows PXE machines to communicate to WDS. It even directs you to load the image at one point.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 4, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Swink posted:

I'm not far from taking the 70-410. Any tips apart from "know powershell"?

I already passed my 70-410 but I'm currently going through a 3 class pipeline at a community college so I'm studying it again.

For every single objective, you need to know how to perform the task through the UI and with Powershell.
If you have labs, do them all at least twice using different methods.

Try to find a list of all the new commandlets for Server 2012R2, make sure you know what all of them are good for.

Make sure you can fully configure a machine that's in core, you need to know all the dos commands like sconfig.

Lab like a maniac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The simple answer to this question is 'No', but here's my more complicated opinion.

There's only so much time in the day, and as most people progress in their IT career they tend to start specializing a bit in certain areas. Someone with multiple certifications spanning several disciplines would make an eyebrow raise, but that's about it. I would question what kind of position they were really looking for. Nothing wrong with gaining lots of entry level certs, it helps validate you have some good experience, but someone who has the time to be a current CCNP, MCSE, and VCP, either they're trying to collect certs like Pokemons or have zero life outside of work. A junior level person with some entry level Microsoft certs, a CCENT, and an A+ would actually show a really solid IT foundation to grow on.

A note about certifications: To me certifications mean you know how to study and pass a test, and have a reasonable knowledge of the subject matter being tested. They don't prove to me that you know how to deal with real world production IT at all. Certifications are a compliment to your professional work experience, not a replacement. The sauteed onions and mushrooms topping your ribeye steak of experience. A well rounded candidate has formal education, certifications, and good work experience. 2 out of 3 ain't bad either though.