Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ross posted:

With as good as Kansas played and as (correctly, I hope) bad as ISU played, this is actually sort of encouraging, as much as a loss can be anyway. Kansas was really sharp this game.

This ISU team really struggles with controlling the pace of the game in a way that plays to our strengths.

I will get my "bitch about the Big 12/KU refs" token in by reminding that this is the team that once (i) rebounded the first shot of a two-shot foul, (ii) ran down the court and hit an uncontested three, and (iii) was permitted to keep those points.

When did this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

DornerHorse posted:

I'm with you. Maybe I'm letting the moment imprison me, but it just sucks to finally come out and say that for the first time in Freddy's career, his team took a step back from the year prior. It was inevitable at some point, but it still sucks. We're more talented than last year, but Kane and Ejim seemed mentally tougher than the new guys.

I'm not sure if we're more talented this year. Morris has improved big time but Niang is basically the same player as last year (a good player, but no real improvement). Ejim was according to the coaches the best player in the league last year, and Kane may have been second best. If I'm drafting for the NBA I'll take Wiggins and Embiid but if I'm building a college team I'll take Ejim and Kane.

The new guys this year (McKay, Nader, BDJ in spurts) are good but I don't think they add up to what Kane and Ejim gave us in terms of production last year. Melvin Ejim was a really good college player.

Jastiger posted:

When did this happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblPO0qijJA

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ross posted:

With as good as Kansas played and as (correctly, I hope) bad as ISU played, this is actually sort of encouraging, as much as a loss can be anyway. Kansas was really sharp this game.

This ISU team really struggles with controlling the pace of the game in a way that plays to our strengths.

I will get my "bitch about the Big 12/KU refs" token in by reminding that this is the team that once (i) rebounded the first shot of a two-shot foul, (ii) ran down the court and hit an uncontested three, and (iii) was permitted to keep those points.

Here's the clip, I just saw it the other day. I still don't understand how such a thing was allowed to happen. I feel like Wayne Morgan should have just pulled his players off the court and refused to play the rest of the game or something. It was that ridiculous. (if letting that three count is/was the actual rule, then it still should have been protested, because what the gently caress?)

Also, how stupid were those announcers?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ross posted:

I'm not sure if we're more talented this year. Morris has improved big time but Niang is basically the same player as last year (a good player, but no real improvement). Ejim was according to the coaches the best player in the league last year, and Kane may have been second best. If I'm drafting for the NBA I'll take Wiggins and Embiid but if I'm building a college team I'll take Ejim and Kane.

The new guys this year (McKay, Nader, BDJ in spurts) are good but I don't think they add up to what Kane and Ejim gave us in terms of production last year. Melvin Ejim was a really good college player.

Thanks for the links guys.

Basically they need McKay to start clicking and i think we can have the replacement to Ejim and Kane. McKay is a big man and does really well when he is playing well, but is otherwise just a guy out there that doesn't produce much. You're right that Ejim and Kane were just drat good ball players and probably a once in a decade type of situation there.

Why didn't Ejim or Kane get drafted though? I don't understand how dominant players don't get into the NBA. Is it just a size thing?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Here's the clip, I just saw it the other day. I still don't understand how such a thing was allowed to happen. I feel like Wayne Morgan should have just pulled his players off the court and refused to play the rest of the game or something. It was that ridiculous. (if letting that three count is/was the actual rule, then it still should have been protested, because what the gently caress?)

Also, how stupid were those announcers?

Met Wayne Morgan in person. He's a HUGE dick, and his wife is an entitled jerk. So no he should lose all games :mad:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Met Wayne Morgan in person. He's a HUGE dick, and his wife is an entitled jerk. So no he should lose all games :mad:

Isn't he like a satellite dish salesman or something now? Sounds like he got exactly what he deserved...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CBS says Bill Raftery will call the Final Four this year with Jim Nantz. Amazing that it's taken this long to send him in, jerome

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Rafterty is awful. gently caress.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

Regnevelc posted:

We had loving Clark Kellogg like 2 years ago, things could be worse

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Regnevelc posted:

Raferty owns and is one of the coolest dudes you'll ever meet.

Also, gently caress a sooner. That is all.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Watching the Cayuts dominate with my Cayut on my lap. Life is good

E: guys settling for sidestep fade away jumpers is so god drat stupid. Everyone can score loving pass it aghhhh

Bishop fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 4, 2015

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
Georgia has 12 turnovers with 2 minutes left in the first half...

ArseMan
Jun 7, 2003

Jeg kan ikke snakke norsk, men jeg fortsatt elsker mitt fedreland :norway:

Skrillex bumper music in the Badger game. Woo?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

well IU managed to keep it close for a half, but we're pretty hosed now.

ah well.

Scrode
Mar 6, 2002

It's about damn time...

Hello Towel posted:

well IU managed to keep it close for a half, but we're pretty hosed now.

ah well.

Pretty much going as expected. Of course we shot pretty well from 3 unlike the Purdue game. Defense was a special kind of terrible tonight.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I turned the game off because gently caress this noise. Goddamn Big XII officials are terrible.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dirty Chub posted:

Georgia has 12 turnovers with 2 minutes left in the first half...

I still can't figure how in the hell they're only down by 5 right now.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
Kentucky is trying desperately to poo poo away a game

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Scrode posted:

Pretty much going as expected. Of course we shot pretty well from 3 unlike the Purdue game. Defense was a special kind of terrible tonight.

I was actually impressed with the little run at the end, even though we still lost pretty bad. It was good to see the guys still pushing even when everything was going wrong.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Arkansas letting SCAR go on the most lethargic 8 - 2 run I've ever seen in my life. If both teams break 30 I'll be amazed

E: Ark shooting 25%, SCAR 31%

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I turned the game off because gently caress this noise. Goddamn Big XII officials are terrible.

There is no such thing as Big 12 officials.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Gamecocks are performing exactly as you'd expect with 8 scholarship players on the road against an NCAA-caliber team. Sigh.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

RumbleFish posted:

Gamecocks are performing exactly as you'd expect with 8 scholarship players on the road against an NCAA-caliber team. Sigh.

Looked fine until Thornwell picked up his third, all went downhill from there

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

chaoslord posted:

Looked fine until Thornwell picked up his third, all went downhill from there

Yeah, he's our best player by far, even though he's been in a bit of a slump. His foul trouble was basically our death knell in this game, given how short-handed we are.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
/whispers

Virginia Tech is beating Syracuse in the dome 61-50 with less than 7 to go

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Billy Donovan was asked what would help Florida in the second half.

"Our PGs knowing our offense would be a good start."

lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We have 24 team fouls :psyberger:

That's the worst game Florida has played in a really long time.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Just about ready to give up on basketball season like I usually am at this point in the year. Cool job, Cocks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This Syracuse game....

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Congrats on your NIT bid, Syracuse, I guess.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Goddammit Syracuse, at least stay in the RPI top 100 you idiots...

edit: ha, I didn't even check the score, I just assumed by the comments that Syracuse lost.

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 4, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

kiimo posted:

There is no such thing as Big 12 officials.

I'm convinced they are non-basketball fans who won raffles before the game.

College officiating in general isn't great (compared to say the NBA, which I guess is to be expected) but I feel like the Big 12 is a special breed of terrible. It's not just homerism either, I notice plenty of bad/wrong/inconsisent officiating in non-ISU Big 12 games as well.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No, I mean like, there's no exclusive Big-12 group. There are some guys who do a lot of (okay mostly) Big 12 games but in general there's this belief out there that there is a group of officials that are employed by and exclusive to the Big 12.

and they protect Kansas

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just know that when Iowa State loses we all have to collectively roll our eyes about big 12 officiating. It's this massive shoulder chip. Same with tourney officiating as well though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kiimo posted:

No, I mean like, there's no exclusive Big-12 group. There are some guys who do a lot of (okay mostly) Big 12 games but in general there's this belief out there that there is a group of officials that are employed by and exclusive to the Big 12.

and they protect Kansas

I'm pretty sure its just a carryover from football, where there are conference specific refs.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

and they protect Kansas

They do, though! Except against Texas. gently caress Texas.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ugh, Purdue's size was already a tough matchup for OSU, but not having Loving takes away the 2nd best shooter and is going to make it very hard to score when you can't drive to the bucket.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Purdue-Ohio State :toot:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Weirdest thing about Purdue's winning streak is they've been horrible on the glass in all 3 games. Ohio State already has 6 offensive boards on 13 missed shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
What the hell did loving do? Thad seems like a pretty lenient guy in general

• Locked thread