Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

We don't have an able-bodied Appraiser who isn't walled into a Corridor of unspeakable doom, so I'm not sure how current this is.

Census of the Summer 556 Migration to Fogwall

16th Malachite, 556

Cap Falcon

Danmaku Dave

Galaga Galaxian

Hatrocious

Mygna

Pinechild

Rock Hardslab

Savgeir

That Italian Guy

Tibbeh

tlarn

Tuckiozi

and veems

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I would like to propose an official militia for Fogwall instead of the current plan, which is to lock away everywhere where there is something that looks at a dwarf funny.

At least with all the corpses around, everyone should start to get a bit more disciplined and stop being freaked out by the block-to-block corpse party.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Is my dorf, Strevl Gruntbonk, still alive? I've seen only one mention of him since he was born.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Lynneth posted:

Is my dorf, Strevl Gruntbonk, still alive? I've seen only one mention of him since he was born.

I don't know, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Lynneth posted:

100% dead, probably used in combat as a club vs. Icuk just before my turn started. I'll try finding your memorial or something to be sure.

Pyroi posted:

I would like to propose an official militia for Fogwall instead of the current plan, which is to lock away everywhere where there is something that looks at a dwarf funny.

The plan was necessary to avoid ending the fort unceremoniously to a trickle of cavern/surface threats after one update. Now that we have the dwarfs, you can be sure some changes are afoot - they were supposed to be set up and published this update, but I was delayed by the unexpected second migration.

e: Anyway I'll leave the details to the next Overseer, I have a full year played atm so it seems like a good time to jump out. Not everything is working as it should but that's just good and Fortressy, I'll post the last update and save tomorrow

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 4, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Migrant to Mayor in no time.

Dwarf me is better than real me :(

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Being mayor of Fogwall is like being mayor of Mogadishu.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Funky Valentine posted:

Being mayor of Fogwall is like being mayor of Mogadishu.

Literally still a bigger achievement then I have ever made.

Rock on Dwarf me. May you not die accidentally to a raging baby dwarf.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gridlocked posted:

Literally still a bigger achievement then I have ever made.

Rock on Dwarf me. May you not die accidentally to a raging baby dwarf.

Don't ever go to sleep and you'll be fine.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TildeATH posted:

Don't ever go to sleep and you'll be fine.

Wanna bet I ban the export of shoes then get murdered by an angry vampire shoe maker wielding a Human Skin Moccasin that menaces with spikes of Goblin bone?

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
Am I right in thinking that dwarves who "slip into depression" are experiencing a sort of alternative to a tantrum? A condition caused by a bad mood that takes them out of useful work for a while, but isn't as permanent as melancholy/berserk/stark raving mad?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Is Chunkter still alive?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

symuun posted:

Am I right in thinking that dwarves who "slip into depression" are experiencing a sort of alternative to a tantrum? A condition caused by a bad mood that takes them out of useful work for a while, but isn't as permanent as melancholy/berserk/stark raving mad?

Yes, that and the other changes seem to make dwarves more mentally durable. I don't think I would have gotten away with a lot of the stuff I'm doing now in previous versions. However, moods in general last a hell of a lot longer, so the next Overseer is probably going to have some serious fall out to deal with.

pwnyXpress posted:

Is Chunkter still alive?

Nope. It's really hard to locate dead bodies or isolate causes of death. I've heard if you carve a memorial it will tell you what they died from. Carving memorials is a pain in the rear end that takes a bit of micromanaging, but I'll give it a go after I finish writing this last update and give up the save.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The answer to that question is always no.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dashticle posted:

It's really hard to locate dead bodies or isolate causes of death. I've heard if you carve a memorial it will tell you what they died from. Carving memorials is a pain in the rear end that takes a bit of micromanaging, but I'll give it a go after I finish writing this last update and give up the save.

:ssh: Target a corpse and try the magic command deathcause.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

From the Missing Pages of the Overseer Journal of Dashticle, Mayor of Fogwall 555 - 556

quote:

At first I was angry when they did not at once carry me into the Crypt with a hero's welcome, instead solemnly collecting sundry items from the room before descending the stairs again. But now I realise it is a boon. I have time to think, such as I have not had in months. All that has come to us recently are gifts, though they may be disguised as calamaties. All calamaties have led to this. An opportunity. For salvation.

quote:

Who would have thought at first to be Changed as we are, to shun all dwarven needs and crave living blood itself, could be a gift? But it is. The Change has given us the strength and endurance for the task at hand - and as the leech craves the blood of the sick and in doing so cures him - so must we. The Wraith of Clutching, the Beasts that lurk in the centre of the earth, the foul cursed beings that roam its surface. They are the sickness. And we are the cure.

quote:

??th Slate 556: I have finally been brought to the Crypt I have had built for us. I share a bed with the injured thrandwarf, and the room itself with Keien and sum. I understand Neurosis Pinche is occupying the bed in another room. Clearly the Brethren wish me to see firsthand the difficulties imposed by a lack of supplies.

quote:

I tried explaining the Above dwarves were simply not great enough in number to complete the Plan in good time. I was met only with sullen stares. I ordered the Brethren to step up the removal of supplies from the quarantined Above hospital.

quote:

??th Felsite: You would think these dwarves I have chosen to be the instuments of our Race's salvation would be more grateful. And yet all I see are haunted eyes and mournful faces. Geri Khan is the worst. The Brethren say she has been slipping in and out of bouts of depressed unproductivity since the doors were sealed. I hope some trips to the Quarantine for supplies will make her realise how good she has it...

quote:

... Disappointed to hear from the child More Grim that she collapsed into depression again inside the Quarantine, amid his own babbled account of the rotted corpses there. I realise things have not been easy for the Changed ones here. But we cannot afford weakness. The strong must continue. I do however appreciate the sight of the old Hospital may be shocking even to the hardened Brethren. I pray they can do what must be done without one of their minds breaking dangerously.
With all the weapons they brought into the Crypt after cleansing the Fortress in the Winter, such a break could jeapordise everything.

All vampire dwarves flashing the Red Down Arrow of Extreme Stress and moving like snails due to blood hunger.

quote:

From what the Brethren report they have held up their part of The Plan well, digging North after breaking into the Hospital. Heading towards the Caverns, and a source of water and wood. We may not need water to drink, but Prof Groove insists he can heal us faster with access to some.

quote:

However, all plans must change. I have learned this well. Hearing a horrific noise from the wall, I cancel the orders to break through. As much as it pains me to admit it, we are not ready to fight the horrors from Beyond. We need more time to prepare.

quote:

It is difficult to tally the days in here. Prof Groove has successfully healed Keien and I enough to be up and around. thrandwarf and sum are beyond help - neither shall ever walk again. It allows me to check on the progress of the Plan. The Tribute chute being constructed by the dwarves in the fort above is almost complete.

quote:

Gamer now walks with the quiet confidence of someone who has been bestowed many revelations on weaponsmithing. While I originally envisioned the Fort labouring to create weapons for the Brethren, we now have our own Legendary weaponsmith - I can take some pride in knowing I started him on this path, allowing him to smith the Silver bridge that right now contains us for our period of Preparation. I order the dropping of a stairwell from our crypt to the deepest depths, the dwarves told only to stop once their picks start to melt.

quote:

Down here, my orders have been followed to the letter. I can only hope as below, so above...

Chapter 11:

The Legacy of Dashticle

Happenings in Fogwall in the Spring of 556 in the last months of the Absentee Overseer Dashticle.

And thus we come once again to a period where much is known about Fogwall from the acocunts of those who migrated there. The Overseer Dashticle had disappeared from public life having been long suffering from a wound he recieved defending the fort from outside aggressors(further giving credence to the story of Gel the Werebuffalo).

Two large wave of migrants arrived to find only 4 haggard dwarves living in the Fortress, each with an enormous list of orders of things to be built, traps to be laid, areas to dig and bodies to bury.

However, the migration was anything but seamless. Starsforge, her mind disturbed by the sacrifices she had made since arriving to Fogwall, looses a feral cry and begins attacking the new migrants, starting with Decoy...

...before moving on to veem, badly injuring the newcomer.

There was widespread discontent in the fort. Could the resident dwarves act out with impunity like this against newcomers? Who was the Sherriff? The Captain of the Guard?

The answer, of course, was nobody. It was time for some promotions. It was time for Justice.
The migrants clamoured at Griddlocked to appoint a new heirarchy. spish is promoted to Captain of the Guard. Rock Hardslab takes the honour of Fortress hammerer.

At the same time, the mayor addresses the security concerns of the newcomers by raising two new squads of militia from the populace, The Stairs of Winding and the Helms of Cosmos.

A wave of optimism passes through the newcomers to the fort. With the weapons, armour, and brave dwarves to weild them, they could take back the areas the weak absentee Overseer had abandoned. The sentiment is echoed by at least one of the veteran Fogwall residents.

However, the most immediate concern was how to deal with Starsforge, who had truly done a number on poor veems. The newly elected Captain of the Guard raised concerns herself by repeatedly going into shock in the front entrance way. Whether giddy from the promotion, or perhaps disturbed by the enemy corpses piled three deep on the stairwell, we do not know.

Nevertheless, she comes up with with a plan for Justice. Rather than use one of the many chains in the well-appointed jail, she catches up with Starsforge 6 days later and beats the snot out of her.

With one case solved, the backlog can begin to be addressed. Starsforge also has it coming for busting Decoy's lip... though questions are once again raised regarding spish's suitability to the role as she breaks down in the hallway again and again.

Meanwhile, the child Tonwen Ironshaft is released by the unseen forces of Fogwall, leaving her with the artifact Minbaz Thokit - depicting Kafit Rootwaxed the Lustful Rawness of Nature the titan, along with Fogwall's founding. An ominous cloud of foreshadowing hangs over the trinket.

Elsewhere, the efforts to clean the halls continue to be stalled as dwarves recognise loved ones, or parts thereof, and break down in grief, like HiHo ChiRho on the inner bridge.

The cracks were beginning to show...

The migrants now knew Justice was available. Not all were convinced of the story that some sickness had robbed so many dwarves of their blood...

... and descend upon the newly appointed Captain of the Guard as she tries to make her way to her new office for a nerve-steadying drink.

The problem only got worse as dwarves previously unaffected went to take their first sleep in supposedly empty rooms, only to find themselves sharing with a dessicated corpse.

On the outside of the fort, the alarm was again raised.

Another cursed beast. This one again beelines for the main entrance. The dwarves get the gate closed just in time - the creature is flung into the air by the raising bridge.

The dwarves know the drill this time - the militias arm up while they wait out the phase of the moon controlling the curse. The creature hunches in a corridor outside, unable to find entry, then after a day, turns into a confused and naked human, who immediately activates some poor-quality traps loaded with captured goblin weaponry, before running north. The militia are already on their way, with Crabacious proving his eagerness by pulling far ahead of the others.
For a moment, it looks like the human will make good his escape...

However, in his attempts to evade the determined Crabacious, he runs headlong into the rest of the militia: masam, Mygna and Vadoc.

Vadoc ends it with a spear through the brain - the Fortress is secured.

A footnote in these grim times is dusty orders from a previous Overseer to cut window slits between all the bedrooms were uncovered and acted on before anyone began to question the privacy issues this would raise.

It should be noted that most of the plans left by Dash were beneficial to the fort or at worst, innocuous. A sealable trapdoor device is completed near the main work halls:

And a largescale waterworks project to flush out the corridor Icuk had tainted:

However, another aspect of the legacy of Dashticle was only about to be revealed, as the migrants installed mechanisms and dug to his specifications without question - just before the end of his allotted....

quote:

???th Galena?? : The days escape us. How slow everything seems. Do they know? Do they remember? Nothing comes through the pit. I ordered them to produce us armour! Arms! Send us metals! Fuel! Have they left us? Are they all dead?

quote:

...I cannot have failed... they must follow my... orders... rid the fortress... of sickness. The cyst on the face of the fortress... they must remove that at least... follow my orders. Dwarves! Not... those stinking creatures... that abomination on the surface...

quote:

... destroy.. .dig it out.. drain the infection... cut.. it. Out!

quote:

If they listened... they will save themselves...

quote:

??th ??: It is out of my hands. They will send us supplies any day. We are the Cure. We will be Prepared. They will send supplies. Armour. Metals. Prepare. Any day. I must fill these work orders...

Save

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 5, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

:( not the elf fort

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ninjewtsu posted:

:( not the elf fort

Sorry man :V . I actually thought it would make a big cloud appear on Stonesense - you can see in the first gif (which I realise I edited really badly now) I had it viewing in Stonesense but it just... disappeared. Since it didn't I was kinda disappointed and thought about rolling back the save and leaving it standing but wired to blow at the end, but then didn't want to waste the effort. (took the lazy bastards ages to dig/architecturise/mechanise it...)

In retrospect it might have been funnier to leave it wired to various random pressure plates or something .

Uploading the save now. Uploaded the save, also I might edit the last update and some of the others cos some of the gifs look kinda crappy and pronouns and tenses are all over the place. But also maybe not. Thanks Fogwall it was fun!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 5, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Let me just say that you are by far my favorite overseer thus far. I can't wait for the plan to be set in motion!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dashticle posted:

A footnote in these grim times is dusty orders from a previous Overseer to cut window slits between all the bedrooms were uncovered and acted on before anyone began to question the privacy issues this would raise.

Yay, now we can finally figure out if we have vampires and if so then who they are! :downs:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nietzschean posted:

Yay, now we can finally figure out if we have vampires and if so then who they are! :downs:

Honestly it's safe to assume that everyone is a vampire now.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm not a vampire.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Overseer Lottery open!

48 hours to make your claim, after which I'll make a random draw.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

:thejoke:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
gently caress it, I've never thrown myself in as overseer but I think I can have some fun with this.

Don't make me the only one in the lottery please

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Good job Dash, really turned it around :)

I hope little Gibb can pull out of that funk:ohdear:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

gibb3h posted:

Good job Dash, really turned it around :)

I hope little Gibb can pull out of that funk:ohdear:

You should sign up to ruin everything help him through it!

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Veloxyll posted:

You should sign up to ruin everything help him through it!

I tried to play once, I didn't even manage to start a farm :eng99:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ViggyNash posted:

Let me just say that you are by far my favorite overseer thus far. I can't wait for the plan to be set in motion!

Thanks! It's up to the next Overseer what to do about that, the tools are in place for a lot of interesting things to go down, or they can just ignore them altogether and go their own path.

Funky Valentine posted:

Not so! I don't want to spoiler too much since my turn has had a lot of black bars in posts already but... not so. My original plan was to Vampirise worthy dwarves and initiate them into the Underfort after proving themselves(and training their skills, since I thought vampire's skills got capped when they get cursed), while the rest of the Fort went ahead and made the Vamps some good quality weapons and armour to take the fight to the Wraith.

However, I accidentally flooded the bloodwell with (what I think is) clean, non vampirising water, with no simple way to drain it and too much else to do. So I put this plan on hold and finished the sealable equipment/Initiate/blood donor delivery chute making sure that the Vampires remained contained in the crypt and trying to keep their spirits up (a tantrum down there will get extremely messy fast). The next overseer can fix the well and continue this, or ignore it like I said. It also appears vampires CAN learn skills so if I was doing it again, I'd be having them spend every moment not digging training weapon skills.

In any case I did my best to answer the call for warriors and weapons to take down the leader of the Wraith of Clutching. A Legendary Vampire Weaponsmith is certainly a thing, too. Can wall that sucker (ha) into a box with a magmaforge and drop steel bars down to him intermittently for a neverending supply of top-of-the-line weapons. Just don't get too attached to the dwarves assigned to go pick up those weapons.

e:

scamtank posted:

Target a corpse and try the magic command deathcause.

Nice! Is there an easy way to find and zoom to a specific corpse? I'm not on my DF machine atm but you can see them in list form in Stocks -> corpses or something?

I also realised a description of the FB that appeared in the caverns is missing and I'll fix that at home later.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 5, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dashticle posted:

However, I accidentally flooded the bloodwell with (what I think is) clean, non vampirising water, with no simple way to drain it and too much else to do. So I put this plan on hold and finished the sealable equipment/Initiate/blood donor delivery chute making sure that the Vampires remained contained in the crypt and trying to keep their spirits up (a tantrum down there will get extremely messy fast). The next overseer can fix the well and continue this, or ignore it like I said. It also appears vampires CAN learn skills so if I was doing it again, I'd be having them spend every moment not digging training weapon skills.

Shouldn't the well dry up as it gets drunken from? It's a really small well, you could've just disabled booze production and made that the only source of drinking water for the 30 new migrants

Or wait did you flood the upper area as well

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dashticle posted:

Nice! Is there an easy way to find and zoom to a specific corpse? I'm not on my DF machine atm but you can see them in list form in Stocks -> corpses or something?

See, there you go. You don't need my help.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

scamtank posted:

See, there you go. You don't need my help.

*wobbles off unsteadily but with growing confidence to check on dead dorfs*

ninjewtsu posted:

Shouldn't the well dry up as it gets drunken from? It's a really small well, you could've just disabled booze production and made that the only source of drinking water for the 30 new migrants

Or wait did you flood the upper area as well

Nah, see I wasn't totally sure the water I let in didn't get laced with the blood that was still down there - and I wanted to control the spread, didn't want a whole bunch of scrub fisher or potter vampires going around drinking all the useful dorfs. Not sure if it's coincidence or what but I noticed weaponsmith/brewer blood seems to be particularly tasty, the dorfs with essential skills get drained first.

pwnyXpress posted:

Is Chunkter still alive?

No, however he is occupying one of the classy, super exclusive single tombs we have available in the fashionable north side of the Necropolis. He died of thirst before my year started.

Lynneth posted:

Found your name on the deceased list but there's no corpse as near as I can tell. Either carried off by the river, smushed by a drawbridge, or something else. You might be making a comeback as a ghost.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 5, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dashticle posted:

Nah, see I wasn't totally sure the water I let in didn't get laced with the blood that was still down there - and I wanted to control the spread, didn't want a whole bunch of scrub fisher or potter vampires going around drinking all the useful dorfs. Not sure if it's coincidence or what but I noticed weaponsmith/brewer blood seems to be particularly tasty, the dorfs with essential skills get drained first.

The vampire blood only goes up in the bucket if the water tile directly below the well has a pool of blood in it. the presence of vampire blood in a body of water does not taint the entire body, only the individual tiles that say "pool of blood"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

necrotic posted:

gently caress it, I've never thrown myself in as overseer but I think I can have some fun with this.

Don't make me the only one in the lottery please

I've got some bad news for you buddy

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I've got some bad news for you buddy

I've been burned by the lottery over and over, but drat it. Put me in coach.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
It's your lucky day, Stringbean! The random draw has picked you as the next overseer!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's been four minutes and still no update? :mad: Thread is dead.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Danny Glands posted:

It's your lucky day, Stringbean! The random draw has picked you as the next overseer!

Stringbean, my savior. I don't think I was prepared for just how... fun the fort would be right now. But I guess that's the point, isn't it?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Oy, I figured I'd be boned out of another lottery. I'll aim for an update within the next 24 hours especially after I look at the state of the fort personally :gonk:

Edit2: Thanks! Got it working, just checking it out no-.........by gods.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I updated to 40.24 on my turn, there were no issues with the save. (apart from someone had hidden the real folder inside the previous save folder... Nietzschean :bahgawd: )

Stringbean posted:

Edit2: Thanks! Got it working, just checking it out no-.........by gods.

:allears: Yup. Good luck, Overseer! :drac:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 10, 2015

• Locked thread