Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Christ, it's like arguing with angsty 14 year olds. Minecraft is a $20 PSN game (some PSN games are available retail but the difference is obvious to most people), priced as a PSN game. Every other example you idiots have given are old super nintendo games for some reason? If you can give one example that makes any sense then maybe we can reach an understanding. I'm sure some heroin addicts have snarky answers to give instead because that's easier though.

Dross posted:

Counterpoint: licensed games that didn't suck existed before we had the technology to include those things in video games. There are also many current gen games that don't include those things and don't suck. Several of them have been named on this page. The line between downloadable title and retail title is in no way an indicator of the general quality or appeal of a game.

Such as? Don't name any downloadable indie games because that's exactly my point. What games have been released in a non-PSN form for PS3 that are that size? What textures, voice samples, animations, etc are they using to reach that size and why have they chosen those over what every other single game released on a Blu-Ray disk has used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

"waaah, your argument is stupid!"
"no your argument is stupid!"
"yeah? well, you're stupid!"
"no, you are!"
"no, you!"

I eagerly await the next stage of this riveting argument: the "I'm telling!" Stage.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Ariza posted:

Christ, it's like arguing with angsty 14 year olds. Minecraft is a $20 PSN game (some PSN games are available retail but the difference is obvious to most people), priced as a PSN game. Every other example you idiots have given are old super nintendo games for some reason? If you can give one example that makes any sense then maybe we can reach an understanding. I'm sure some heroin addicts have snarky answers to give instead because that's easier though.

Such as? Don't name any downloadable indie games because that's exactly my point. What games have been released in a non-PSN form for PS3 that are that size? What textures, voice samples, animations, etc are they using to reach that size and why have they chosen those over what every other single game released on a Blu-Ray disk has used?

shut up retard

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So I've been playing the Sly Cooper Collection, let's talk about that instead of whatever the gently caress that guy is on about.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sly Cooper is cool and good and I wish Sucker Punch would make another one instead of loving around with Prototype But Not Really to no end. Sticking a ton of Cooper references into Infamous stopped being cute 2 games ago, you fuckers.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I guess I should pick up the Sly cooper collection. I never played it on the PS2.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

blackguy32 posted:

I guess I should pick up the Sly cooper collection. I never played it on the PS2.

The first game hasn't aged as well as the later one's, it can be a little jittery at times and you only get one hit so if it's really frusturating you then skip on ahead to 2 although it's worth powering through. 2 and 3 are where most of the value lies, really good games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I couldn't really get into Sly 1 at all, but I hear the others are pretty good and I should play them some time. I think I have the newer one from PS+.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The Sly Collection is a pretty genuinely great game, and while it's not the best set of games out there, I think it's a game series everyone should play simply to see that simplistic games can still be a lot of fun if they're made right.

Sly 4 wasn't as good as the first 3. It wasn't necessarily a bad game, but something about it felt... I dunno... off. There was also no real difference between the PS3 and Vita versions, which sound like it might be a compliment to the Vita version, but it's more a knock on the PS3 version.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SpacePig posted:

The Sly Collection is a pretty genuinely great game, and while it's not the best set of games out there, I think it's a game series everyone should play simply to see that simplistic games can still be a lot of fun if they're made right.

Sly 4 wasn't as good as the first 3. It wasn't necessarily a bad game, but something about it felt... I dunno... off. There was also no real difference between the PS3 and Vita versions, which sound like it might be a compliment to the Vita version, but it's more a knock on the PS3 version.

The ending was literally just a big quick time event. That's the issue I had with it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sly Cooper's always had a bad history of QTEs, see: that loving bayou boss fight.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

Sly Cooper's always had a bad history of QTEs, see: that loving bayou boss fight.

Yeah, gently caress that piece of poo poo. One-hit and no mid-boss checkpoints? You gotta be kidding me. "Oh no, my beautiful gun is destroyed. Good thing I got a spare upstairs."

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Policenaut posted:

that loving bayou boss fight.

uggghhhh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So out of Yakuza 3 and 4, which are worth picking up?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Both are great games, so in a perfect world I'd say get both. If you're just gonna get one, then it becomes a little more difficult. 3 has a really slow start, but is more focused and you get to have more time with Kiryu, but 4 has a lot more variety to it between the different characters and a better plot. Depends what you want out of it really.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

4 is available right now on the PSN.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

In a perfect world, you should buy a PS2 and play Yakuza 2, because holy poo poo that game is good. But yeah, they're both great games, just be warned that Yakuza 3 takes a long time to really get started, but it's worth the wait. You start off playing a character who is trying super hard not to get wrapped up in gangster poo poo anymore, so the game makes sure to take its time and really sell you on that up until the inevitable "Oh, gently caress this, time to start punching fuckers in the face" moment.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Ariza posted:

PSN game.

So if they pressed Spelunky to a disc it would magically turn into a bad game unless they inflated the disc's image with dummy files, which contain junk data or a lot of zeroes, right? Lots of older games that streamed off their discs (like PS1 & PS2) had dummy files all over the place, for some reason that had to do with the laser. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but that inflated a lot of games and made it a bitch to collect PS1 ISOs.

i don't think you understand a lot of things, duderino. funny enough, The Force Unleashed and Final Fantasy XIII on Steam were noteworthy for being bad ports, one reason being that their cutscenes were uncompressed and made the games gently caress-huge to download. 30GB and 50GB respectively, and that actually indicated a lack of quality directly related to the file size.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I liked 4 a lot more than 3. And 2 was the best. 3 was disappointing in comparison.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

gay skull posted:

Lots of older games that streamed off their discs (like PS1 & PS2) had dummy files all over the place, for some reason that had to do with the laser. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but that inflated a lot of games and made it a bitch to collect PS1 ISOs.

In CAV disc drives, reading data on the outside of the disc is faster than reading data on the inside. Standard CD/DVD filesystems, as the PSX and PS2 use, start on the inside and work their way outwards as more data gets added. So if you have a, say, 100 MB game, it makes sense to first add a 600 MB dummy file and then the 100 MB of actual game data, since that pushes the game data to the outside of the disc, where it'll be read faster, thus reducing loading times.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've only played the first three games, so I don't know about the fourth one, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of them - 3 obviously has more Kiryu and his story, 4 has new characters, but they're both massive and with a lot to do, so I'd say to get the one that you can buy cheaper and with less hassle.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 27, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

gay skull posted:

So if they pressed Spelunky to a disc it would magically turn into a bad game unless they inflated the disc's image with dummy files, which contain junk data or a lot of zeroes, right? Lots of older games that streamed off their discs (like PS1 & PS2) had dummy files all over the place, for some reason that had to do with the laser. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but that inflated a lot of games and made it a bitch to collect PS1 ISOs.

i don't think you understand a lot of things, duderino. funny enough, The Force Unleashed and Final Fantasy XIII on Steam were noteworthy for being bad ports, one reason being that their cutscenes were uncompressed and made the games gently caress-huge to download. 30GB and 50GB respectively, and that actually indicated a lack of quality directly related to the file size.

excellent. it's back. i was worried this argument had moved on and we'd never get to the foretold "i'm telling!" phase.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

In CAV disc drives, reading data on the outside of the disc is faster than reading data on the inside. Standard CD/DVD filesystems, as the PSX and PS2 use, start on the inside and work their way outwards as more data gets added. So if you have a, say, 100 MB game, it makes sense to first add a 600 MB dummy file and then the 100 MB of actual game data, since that pushes the game data to the outside of the disc, where it'll be read faster, thus reducing loading times.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Szurumbur posted:

I've only played the first three games, so I don't know about the fourth one, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of them - 3 obviously has more Kiryu and his story, 4 has new characters, but they're both massive and with a lot to do, so I'd say to get the one that you can buy cheaper and with less hassle.
Personally speaking, I think it's time Kiryu took a rest from the games - it seems like he just gets used when they need a supreme badass to come and fix everything so it sort of takes away from the other characters. All the new characters in 4 are fantastic and deserve games in their own right - with the possible exception of the cop kid whose story I kinda forget.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
What's the differences between alien isolation on PS3 vs PS4?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

What's the differences between alien isolation on PS3 vs PS4?

The load times were the biggest difference I noticed other than the resolution. It takes several more seconds for doors to open to the next area on the PS3 than the PS4.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Dammit Sony, why won't you update the PS-Plus titles already? I want Yakuza 4, dammit! :f5:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That doesn't happen until Tuesday afternoon.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Question Mark Mound posted:

Personally speaking, I think it's time Kiryu took a rest from the games - it seems like he just gets used when they need a supreme badass to come and fix everything so it sort of takes away from the other characters. All the new characters in 4 are fantastic and deserve games in their own right - with the possible exception of the cop kid whose story I kinda forget.

I thought he was pretty fun to fight as, anyway.

I said it before and will say it again, give me a full game centered around Akiyama's exploits as a loan shark already! That has a lot of potential, and he was probably my favorite character from 4.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Code Jockey posted:

I thought he was pretty fun to fight as, anyway.

I said it before and will say it again, give me a full game centered around Akiyama's exploits as a loan shark already! That has a lot of potential, and he was probably my favorite character from 4.
Totally agreed. Although I have to admit, despite not being a fan of Saejima at the start he turned out to be an awesome and well written character.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

While I liked Tanimura's fighting style, I just could not get into him as a character. He was boring as poo poo and at times unlikeable.

Also, I just got the Sly collection, and holy poo poo is it fun. I have only played the 1st one so far but I am digging that so far most of the levels have been somewhat small which allows you to collect stuff easily without spending loads of time finding that one last clue.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

While I liked Tanimura's fighting style, I just could not get into him as a character. He was boring as poo poo and at times unlikeable.
He's trying to protect immigrants in Japanese society from being exploited, and I can definitely get behind that philosophically. He's not a perfect person of course, but then no one in the game is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Trying to download Yakuza 4 and it's saying I don't have enough space available. I have some 37GB free, and it says it only needs 22. How much more could it want for an install footprint?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Trying to download Yakuza 4 and it's saying I don't have enough space available. I have some 37GB free, and it says it only needs 22.
It needs space for both the delivery package and its unpacked size.

edit: probably like double. The PS3 wasn't designed with downloading whole full-size games in mind, I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

It needs space for both the delivery package and its unpacked size.

edit: probably like double.

I figured as much. This is why I prefer disc versions :sigh:.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea it's double

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

He's trying to protect immigrants in Japanese society from being exploited, and I can definitely get behind that philosophically. He's not a perfect person of course, but then no one in the game is.

I don't know, Kiryu, and Akiyama were all pretty likeable dudes with almost no bad qualities about them. But I think the first thing they introduce about Tanimura is him being pretty corrupt.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

This loving alligator fight is loving ruining my opinion of Sly Cooper 1.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, it's arguably the worst point in the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, it's arguably the worst point in the franchise.

Ha, little after I posted that, I went back and beat it. Once I got the tempo down, it was somewhat easy and kind of fun. But I couldn't get the tempo down for the 2nd part.

I can see why they did away with one hit deaths and lives in the sequels. They feel a bit outdated.

Also, how was Sly 4? Worth buying?

• Locked thread