Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

precision posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games >

I kind of miss when Video Game Article had one-sentence reviews, because those were a pretty good, quick way to see if there were any new releases I might have any interest in, but in their absence I guess I could just continually scan this forum for new threads. It's just more time-consuming. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

loquacius posted:

I kind of miss when Video Game Article had one-sentence reviews, because those were a pretty good, quick way to see if there were any new releases I might have any interest in, but in their absence I guess I could just continually scan this forum for new threads. It's just more time-consuming. :shrug:

If something's good, you'll hear about it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I really had a lot of fun with Wolfenstein, great game

Edit: Wolfenstein and Far Cry 4 aren't goon phenomena, those games got great word of mouth everywhere. In fact this is the only place I've seen real hate on them

Sure, but that doesn't mean anything. Lots of really mediocre games get good word of mouth because people are very easily swayed by buzz.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

loquacius posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I expected to come back from that link after about five seconds prepared with a snarky remark about how sometimes I need non-Nintendo-related news too, but then I got distracted by the Fire Emblem trailer :swoon:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean anything. Lots of really mediocre games get good word of mouth because people are very easily swayed by buzz.

I'm sure it couldn't possibly be people enjoying something different from you, could it

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Do you think the ability to psychologically manipulate large numbers of people into desiring a product or service doesn't exist?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sure, but claiming that people enjoying Far Cry 4 or Wolfenstein is mainly the result of that is basically some lizard people conspiracy poo poo

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Especially because it carries the implication that you're the special snowflake who sees through the bullshit and knows the REAL truth about bad video games, lol. Lay off the ayahuasca.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

That is not even close to what I said. What I said was that good word of mouth is a meaningless metric because it is very easy to manufacture.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The sad truth is that most gamers want to be bored.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

That is not even close to what I said. What I said was that good word of mouth is a meaningless metric because it is very easy to manufacture.

You're going to have to get real specific with me about what you're saying because it sounds a lot like you're claiming there's a vast conspiracy of either plants or brainwashed people claiming things you don't like are good

Edit: and metric for what? My original point was just that the word of mouth for those games here wasn't unusual

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'Follow the lies! Wake up sheeple!' - Adam Bowen, on Far Cry 4

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is there a vast movement in the industry tricking people into enjoying themselves when they're actually not, or do most gamers have bad taste? Better put on some coffee because I'm going to be up all night on this one

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You're going to have to get real specific with me about what you're saying because it sounds a lot like you're claiming there's a vast conspiracy of either plants or brainwashed people claiming things you don't like are good
It turns out the Bilderbergs, Illuminati, Freemasons et. al. were just aiming way lower than anyone ever considered...

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Edit: and metric for what? My original point was just that the word of mouth for those games here wasn't unusual

What I'm saying is that whether or not people claim a game is GOTY forever 10/10 doesn't matter in the slightest because all it takes to manufacture good feelings about something is a good marketing campaign and some well-placed paid shills. That's not a conspiracy, it's just basic human psychology that when inundated with positive messages about something we tend to internalize those messages, and it's why billions of dollars are spent on advertising.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Okay, so to clarify: you don't think people are having real, legitimate fun, you think they're being bamboozled and not actually enjoying it. As a corollary, you think you are unaffected and can see The Truth About Bad Video Games. That's why you know Far Cry 4 and Wolfenstein are bad.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

holy poo poo no that's not what I think, but I think you might be retarded because you can't follow a line of reasoning that a 10 year old should be able to

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do you think Something Awful has a lot of plants, or just a few?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you think Something Awful has a lot of plants, or just a few?

We've got a $10 paywall and are about as relevant to modern video games as the Philips CD-i so I don't think we're a target for shills. Go read reddit's big gaming sub-reddit or any other big sites and it's very different.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
This is seriously really dumb. It's basically a tautology to say that people will be more ready to enjoy things if they know they're supposed to, but you're literally saying someone can be convinced to claim a game they *should* know to be terrible is GOTY by an ad. Meanwhile, you can somehow play it and know the difference. What do you think is more likely: ads have some effect but people have differing tastes, or ads have ALL THE EFFECT except on a video game megamind like yourself?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

We've got a $10 paywall and are about as relevant to modern video games as the Philips CD-i so I don't think we're a target for shills. Go read reddit's big gaming sub-reddit or any other big sites and it's very different.

But we're discussing games that are about as well liked here as anywhere else...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

please stop this

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

mysterious loyall Y posted:

please stop this

Sure

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I tend not to play popular games because they can't run on my systems and those grapes were probably sour anyway

elf help book posted:

The sad truth is that most gamers want to be bored.

This is one reason why I'm playing modded minecraft.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This is seriously really dumb. It's basically a tautology to say that people will be more ready to enjoy things if they know they're supposed to, but you're literally saying someone can be convinced to claim a game they *should* know to be terrible is GOTY by an ad. Meanwhile, you can somehow play it and know the difference. What do you think is more likely: ads have some effect but people have differing tastes, or ads have ALL THE EFFECT except on a video game megamind like yourself?

I still continue to get caught up in hype all the loving time, and this discussion actually started with my lamenting that I got caught up in the goon hype for Far Cry 4 and Elite: Dangerous.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyway the secret Starbreeze game Wolfenstein owns but I've still never played Riddick, which one is the one people are always talking up?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Anyway the secret Starbreeze game Wolfenstein owns but I've still never played Riddick, which one is the one people are always talking up?
Escape from Butcher Bay is really good and Assault on Dark Athena is boring. It comes with a better version of EfBB though so just get it anyway

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wolfenstein is a good game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are there good browser games that basically involve zero thought but slowly award points and level you up?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Goons kinda suck actually. Games kinda suck too actually I realize as I get older.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Are there good browser games that basically involve zero thought but slowly award points and level you up?
Fallen London, I guess.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fallen London, I guess.

Do you have to pay real money sometimes for that? I am having trouble understanding what it is from reading about it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Do you have to pay real money sometimes for that? I am having trouble understanding what it is from reading about it.
Text-based pseudo-RPG. You can pay money but don't need to. You get limited actions per day either way.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Bicyclops posted:

Any of the "idle" games? (on kong)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Darkness was also a really nice Starbreeze FPS and it was better than its source material.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol @ the idea of wolfenstein tno having great marketing or whatever bowen is talking about now.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

The Darkness was also a really nice Starbreeze FPS and it was better than its source material.

I haven't played that one, so maybe I should do that as well. I played The Darkness 2 which I felt was quite a poor game(fun fact: I bought it on the recommendation of the Steam thread, whom I assume did enjoy it for real).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bicyclops posted:

neopets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I haven't played that one, so maybe I should do that as well. I played The Darkness 2 which I felt was quite a poor game(fun fact: I bought it on the recommendation of the Steam thread, whom I assume did enjoy it for real).
Starbreeze had nothing to do with 2. The first game also has a conclusive ending and really didn't need a sequel. Its only available on PS3 and 360 though.

• Locked thread