Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Modest Mao posted:

that's not what that means yo

Hobo By Design posted:

MM = 妹妹

[mčimči / mei4 mei4]
noun.
Little sister, young girl, pretty girl, or a girl’s private part. Often written as “MM,” which usually refers to a young girl or pretty girls. It can also refer to a girl’s vagina, her “little sister.”

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

they've been a cartoonish failure for decades. i think the government has gone bankrupt, like actually defaulting on bonds bankrupt, like three times in the last 50 years. they can't get credit anywhere, and just a few months ago an American court basically barred them from ever doing business in the US again until they pay back decades of interest on loans to American banks, which will never happen. it's not really entirely their fault but lol anyways

Las Malvinas son Argentinas!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I approve of hurt Chinese feelings.

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

Chinese tourists are awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

oohhboy posted:

I approve of hurt Chinese feelings.
Barrack Obama tweeted:

"Lol, meeting for dinner with hollande tomorrow. hope they will have something without frogs, snails or fries on menus. Lol. Siege heil!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

icantfindaname posted:

they've been a cartoonish failure for decades. i think the government has gone bankrupt, like actually defaulting on bonds bankrupt, like three times in the last 50 years. they can't get credit anywhere, and just a few months ago an American court basically barred them from ever doing business in the US again until they pay back decades of interest on loans to American banks, which will never happen. it's not really entirely their fault but lol anyways

:britain:

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

waitwhatno posted:

Barrack Obama tweeted:

"Lol, meeting for dinner with hollande tomorrow. hope they will have something without frogs, snails or fries on menus. Lol. Siege heil!

that would be pretty funy tbh

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Miggles posted:

Chinese tourists are awesome.

Is that the Chinese equivalent of the Golden Gate Bridge?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

And yet Argentinians believe themselves superior to all Latin American countries at a level that would make the most ardent Republican blush

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

And yet Argentinians believe themselves superior to all Latin American countries at a level that would make the most ardent Republican blush

Is Argentina the place with such a different/heavy accent that most other Spanish speakers have a hell of a time figuring out what they're saying? I think that's them but I can never remember.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Yes, and they say poo poo like "vosotros" and call each other chico

The fresas of Latin America

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

probably because it has the most european influence of latin american countries

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

郿méi
坆méi
羙měi
沬mči
殙mči
嚜mči
没méi
凂měi
堳méi
塺méi
妹mči
媄měi
媒méi
媚mči
媺měi
嬍měi
寐mči
嵄měi
嵋méi
徾méi
抺mči
挴měi
攗méi
昧mči
枚méi
栂méi
梅méi
楣méi
楳méi
槑méi
毎měi
每měi
沒méi
浼měi
渼měi
湄méi
湈méi
煝mči
煤méi
燘měi
猸méi
玫méi
珻méi
瑂méi
痗mči
眉méi
眛mči
睂méi
睸mči
祙mči
禖méi
穈méi
篃mči
糜méi
美měi
脄méi
脢méi
腜méi
苺méi
莓méi
葿méi
蝞mči
袂mči
谜mči
跊mči
酶méi
鋂méi
鎂měi
鎇méi
镁měi
镅méi
霉méi
韎mči
鬽mči
魅mči
鶥méi
鹛méi
黣měi
黴méi
櫗mči
霉méi

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

My mom taught advanced French/Spanish at the high school level and would occasionally get kids from South/Central America taking the Spanish classes for easy A's (shockingly not as easy as they thought for the advanced classes) and she would say how Argentinian students would refer to the Spanish spoken by the other countries as "peasant Spanish"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

look at this guy that doesnt know any 中文

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I want to breathe that office' air.

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

Accretionist posted:

I want to breathe that office' air.

:science: When plants don't have sunlight, they use oxygen and produce carbon dioxide.

I don't see no windows.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Miggles posted:

:science: When plants don't have sunlight, they use oxygen and produce carbon dioxide.

I don't see no windows.

"Huirong, why am I so sleepy?! Three cups of coffee has done NOTHING!"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Miggles posted:

I don't see no windows.

I'd bet the lighting's producing useful wavelengths, though

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

"Huirong, why am I so sleepy?! Three cups of coffee has done NOTHING!"

"Turn up the heater, you're probably just cold!"

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 6, 2015

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

ElGroucho posted:

Yes, and they say poo poo like "vosotros" and call each other chico

The fresas of Latin America

The strawberries of Latin America?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Chinese has only 417 (iirc) words if you count by phonetics, and 4 tones for each of those. Virtually every word makes use of all 4 tones, but not all of them (給,誰,能,日 don't) or some are obscure. So you've basically got ~1600 possible spoken words in Chinese but 80,000+ characters many of which have multiple meanings. A lot of nouns are two nouns put together (movie is 電影 - electric shadow) but that's basically it. So you pretty much cannot read roman characters for chinese words and hope to have any idea of what's going on in them.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 6, 2015

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Electric shadow? ELECTRIC SHADOW!?! loving awesome!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

Chinese has only 417 (iirc) words if you count by phonetics, and 4 tones for each of those. Virtually every word makes use of all 4 tones, but not all of them (給,誰,能,日 don't) or some are obscure. So you've basically got ~1600 possible spoken words in Chinese but 80,000+ characters many of which have multiple meanings. A lot of nouns are two nouns put together (movie is 電影 - electric shadow) but that's basically it. So you pretty much cannot read roman characters for chinese words and hope to have any idea of what's going on in them.

The Vietnamese do, but I'm not sure how tonal their language is from Chinese and I think there are more words that are longer than one syllable, but that could work

Is that why sometimes you see numbers mixed in with roman characters? To imply which tone? Mei1 mei2 mei3 mei4

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Modest Mao posted:

So you pretty much cannot read roman characters for chinese words and hope to have any idea of what's going on in them.

Yes you can.

edit: jerk above me already brought up vietnamese which is the primary nail in the coffin for the "can't romanize Chinese" argument.

but also the fact that in mainland China, children's books are written in pinyin supplemented with characters. and in the 20th century there were pro-romanization Chinese linguists who did their work in pinyin (without diacritics even!!) on principle.

edit2: romanization would work especially well for mandarin because mandarin loving hates monosyllabic words (note the addition of 子 to any goddamned monosyllabic word for no purpose other than to make it disyllabic), so you don't get that many minimal pairs.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 6, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

Yes you can.

edit: jerk above me already brought up vietnamese which is the primary nail in the coffin for the "can't romanize Chinese" argument.

but also the fact that in mainland China, children's books are written in pinyin supplemented with characters. and in the 20th century there were pro-romanization Chinese linguists who did their work in pinyin (without diacritics even!!) on principle.

Otoh, I only know how to pronounce Phở and Nguyễn and even then all my Vietnamese friends tell me that I'm not pronouncing the last one right at all (Phở-ck them) so it's just as imposing and foreign as Chinese is

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vorgen posted:

Electric shadow? ELECTRIC SHADOW!?! loving awesome!

I remember reading somewhere that the Chinese for computer is 'electric brain'. The way they make new words from old characters is cool and funny.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

pentyne posted:

That could always be applied to most cultures. There are always a few extremely smart people who do not succeed in traditional academic environments but can self teach themselves a trade like programming, web design, etc. and be loving amazing at it. I knew a guy in high school who graduated with a 1.8 g.p.a, and he scored a 1540 on his SATs (when the max was 1600) and got a perfect math score. He took the score around to his teachers and flat out told them "Look, I cannot make myself interested in this class, but I'm really loving smart, just let me do the bare minimum and coast through, I'm joining the military when I graduate" and they didn't give him any poo poo after that.

Hay that's great for your liberal country educated buddy who was able to make decisions after he graduated high school but the friend I mentioned was born in China and attended school there until he came to Canada. Not a lot of choices or begging professors for him. And he is just one guy; imagine the scale of China how 1 anecdote in America probably means a million frustrated people in China. poo poo is hosed up and sucks. He personally knew the founder of Alibaba and the best memory he can extract from that guy is "Get out of China", which is literally what he told him.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bloodnose posted:

Yes you can.

edit2: romanization would work especially well for mandarin because mandarin loving hates monosyllabic words (note the addition of 子 to any goddamned monosyllabic word for no purpose other than to make it disyllabic), so you don't get that many minimal pairs.

yeah but like 90% of pinyin I see outside of textbooks has no tone markers and spaces those disyllabic words inconsistently. If you're fluent or a native speaker you can parse it out with context most of the time but it's not really usable the same as the way western languages use roman scripts.

edit: and you could only really parse every day language, and only full sentences. I don't think you could read a book in chinese in phonetics alone. I don't think you could make a quick list of objects.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 6, 2015

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

syscall girl posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the Chinese for computer is 'electric brain'. The way they make new words from old characters is cool and funny.

Traditionally this was done in Japan as well; for example the word for telephone is actually "denwa" which means 'electric talk'. Japan has no problem generally with borrow words though.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Traditionally this was done in Japan as well; for example the word for telephone is actually "denwa" which means 'electric talk'. Japan has no problem generally with borrow words though.

It's 電話 (dian hua) in chinese,, same meaning. Cell phone is 手機 "hand machine" though.

edit:

Some other cool compound nouns

Scooter is 機車, machine vehicle.
Car is 汽車, air vehicle.
Train is 火車, fire vehicle.
plane is 飛機, flying machine.

"chinese is the hardest language" lol

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 6, 2015

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How does this language work if you're talking via a bad connection or at a place that's loud? Just guessing words from the context?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Chinese grammar is pretty loose and it ~basically~ doesn't have plurals, genders, articles or conjugation, and although it does use some words to denote these concepts they're pretty understandable and always work the same way, and there's not many of them. The fact that I've met so many foreigners live in China / HK / Taiwan for decades and can't speak Chinese is super lol.

Writing is loving impossible though.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

JaucheCharly posted:

How does this language work if you're talking via a bad connection or at a place that's loud? Just guessing words from the context?

When I was first learning Chinese my accent tones and grammar were pretty bad and my friends largely couldn't understand me. If I went with the same people to a bar they could understand me much better, I think because just yelling the words causes the listener to give up relying tones on and rely on context more. These were people who weren't around foreigners a lot so I think it was super tough to understand a new accent / no tonality.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Modest Mao posted:

It's 電話 (dian hua) in chinese,, same meaning. Cell phone is 手機 "hand machine" though.

edit:

Some other cool compound nouns

Scooter is 機車, machine vehicle.
Car is 汽車, air vehicle.
Train is 火車, fire vehicle.
plane is 飛機, flying machine.

"chinese is the hardest language" lol

If train is "fire vehicle", what's fire truck?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Croc Monster posted:

If train is "fire vehicle", what's fire truck?

救火车 or "Rescue Fire Vehicle"

Possibly also "消防车" which is sort of like.. "Destruction Defense Vehicle" I guess?

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 6, 2015

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Modest Mao posted:

yeah but like 90% of pinyin I see outside of textbooks has no tone markers and spaces those disyllabic words inconsistently. If you're fluent or a native speaker you can parse it out with context most of the time but it's not really usable the same as the way western languages use roman scripts.

edit: and you could only really parse every day language, and only full sentences. I don't think you could read a book in chinese in phonetics alone. I don't think you could make a quick list of objects.

what you're saying here is "people aren't good at using a writing system they don't use." What I'm saying is that there is nothing inherent in the Chinese language that means it couldn't be written with a roman letter system (like pinyin, for example, or any other system). People tend to orientalize Chinese and Japanese too much, inventing mystical things about homophones or whatever that mean they have to use their unique snowflake characters.

I love Chinese characters and I read and write them in my everyday life. But Chinese is just another language, like English, like Italian, like Spanish, whatever. You could invent a dumb system to write European languages with characters too (I think an experimental linguist actually did develop a system for writing English in Chinese characters).

Your examples for Chinese not needing characters are
1. Vietnamese, another tonal language full of homophones that is written with a latin alphabet system
2. Korean, a nearby (although genetically unrelated) language with a huge amount of vocabulary loaned from Chinese. Uses a phonetic syllabary.
3. Shitloads of Sinitic languages that are only written in roman letters.

The only Chinese languages with official standard character sets are Mandarin and Cantonese. Hokkien is getting there, thanks to the Taiwanese government normalizing its use, but for China's sixty gajillion other Chinese languages, you're either writing Mandarin or you're romanizing. To be fair, basically everyone just writes Mandarin and only weirdo linguists bother with learning to write the romanizations, but the point is that they are functional writing systems that work, despite the inscrutable nature of these oriental tongues.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

I love Chinese characters and I read and write them in my everyday life. But Chinese is just another language, like English, like Italian, like Spanish, whatever. You could invent a dumb system to write European languages with characters too (I think an experimental linguist actually did develop a system for writing English in Chinese characters).
I hate loving reading. I am so poo poo at it. It takes me like twenty minutes to get the bottom of the page in a text book, but reading in Chinese is like easy mode. It takes you like 1/4 of the time to read anything. Romance languages don't know what they're missing out on.

I've been really lazily studying Mandarin once a week for about 3 months and am probably at the level it took 1.5 yrs of 5 hour study everyday to get to in Japanese. I mean to say 'must buy' takes 10 loving syllables and at least 5 separate grammar points that have to be memorized. Not even 'she must buy an apple' or 'I think he has to buy the tickets for the group'.

Edit:

她必须买一个苹果
我认为他有买票的组

Lol this is probably going to be all hosed up now, but 我会说一点中文 and literally looked up how to say these things while writing the post now.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 6, 2015

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
One thing I noticed on a holiday to China is that a lot of street signs and train stops with roman character translations on them sound nothing like the Chinese word when a dumb english speaker pronounces them phonetically. Why is this? It's highly likely that I could just be stupid, but some of them were so different that it was just ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude

Periphery posted:

One thing I noticed on a holiday to China is that a lot of street signs and train stops with roman character translations on them sound nothing like the Chinese word when a dumb english speaker pronounces them phonetically. Why is this? It's highly likely that I could just be stupid, but some of them were so different that it was just ridiculous.

At least it makes it so you can type it into your phone or something, you just have to learn the pinyin to say it properly.

• Locked thread