Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kinnas posted:

So apparently CAM and SPAM are incompatible and while stuff mostly seems to work on a simulation level you'd get stuff like demand graphs would start showing you false information which would lead to abandonment issues and I think spam farms don't get to their later growth stages. Or was it the other way around? It's all very confusing. There's ghost whispers that there might be some tinkerish way to kinda patch them to work together by conforming spam growth stages into cam growth stages or some jargon like that but there's no fix files floating around in the ether of Sim City forums that I could find.

Can smart people confirm or deny or expand upon that? I got my setup from Oldfashioned/Tai's which I think just has both of them jammed in there. Does that mean the modpacks are sort of busted?

edit: ^^^ nice! Always good to see more pictures in the thread. Elevator access seaport? You could bulldoze an area south of the port, dig down to port elevation and have a road access tunnel go underneath a block of factories for that interwoven infrastructure look.

I like your thinking! I might try that!

Also, I forgot to mention this but Mac users: MacPack 2.0 will be arriving soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Some city journal from SC4Devotion. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=16683.0

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
People build some amazing stuff in this game. Kinda wish there was a way to easily export high resolution views of city tiles and regions and an online Dwarf Fortress Map Archive style database where you could look around at all zoom levels and read annotations.

Are there any good LPs of city building out there other than Grand Fromage's amazing series? All the city journals on simtropolis and places seem to be written in this sad-old-lonely-man-toys-are-my-friends roleplay style which are creepy to read and contain no useful or interesting information.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Like GF's I haven't seen anything like that.

There is a video LP from Haljackey that is part of NAM team. Called building a city from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

But honestly this game is not made to be seen in videos, except from some UDI videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hzxThbryI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-b7D2IJ3E

Edit: And why not, more nice images.

benzine fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 5, 2015

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
So to be helpful, I thought I'd try editing a DAT file to force agricultural demand even in big, developed cities, so I could share how to do it here. I figured it couldn't be that hard — just edit an existing lot so it raises the agricultural cap and creates demand for that agriculture, right?

loving nope. Agricultural demand stays negative. There's a deeper problem here, and I don't know how to fix it. Opening up SPAM's core DAT files isn't helpful, because there's a poo poo ton of settings and properties spread over a dozen exemplars, and I have no idea which one actually determines agricultural demand.

(I thought SPAM was already supposed to scale agricultural demand with education and presumably population just fine. I also assumed that, like most mods, if you can get it to load last it'll overwrite other mods, like CAM. Apparently not. Once I merged CAM with the main SimCity DAT so the jobs bug went away, SPAM's improved demand settings stopped working. Now agricultural demand drops to zero after a city gets too big and too educated.)

On a side note, I did discover that if you add a property to a lot that a normal in-game building isn't supposed to have (e.g., anything more complicated than "raise cap and create jobs"), SC4 takes one look at it, decides it's no longer really a building, and removes it from all in-game menus. It's weird, and I freaked out the first time it happened (I was just trying to use this building to fix agricultural demand why the hell can't I find it in it's usual menu?!). On the other hand, I may have accidentally figured out a way to stop dependencies from cluttering up your menus. (It wouldn't be practical, because I'd have to add a token non-building property to every bothersome lot, but it may be possible.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Curvature of Earth posted:

..., SPAM's improved demand settings stopped working. Now agricultural demand drops to zero after a city gets too big and too educated.
Perhaps I've been doing something wrong, but over the last year with SPAM the Ag demand always drops to zero when the pop hits 30,000.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Don't you need to plop the Census buildings to ensure Ag demand stays high? Take a look at that and it might show you what to do, it's generally worked for me.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Old article but I found this really helpful. As someone who didn't grow up in a city, I had trouble grasping how much high and medium density zoning should actually exist in a large city, and this article put it in perspective really well. You get a sense of scale for how far your farming communities and suburbs should spread for a multi-million person city, and the thing that struck me most was how conservatively the person used medium/high density zones- limiting it to the downtown core of the city for high density, and medium density along the other major road-ways.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 5, 2015

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

Old article but I found this really helpful. As someone who didn't grow up on a city, I had trouble grasping how much high and medium density zoning should actually exist in a large city, and this article put it in perspective really well. You get a sense of scale for how far your farming communities and suburbs should spread for a multi-million person city, and the thing that struck me most was how conservatively the person used medium/high density zones- limiting it to the downtown core of the city for high density, and medium density along the other major road-ways.

Have seen that previously very good guide.

Sometimes I find it strange is some screenshots, to have a big downtown and in the same tile, some rural areas. I tend to make a center city and the surrounding cities the suburbs., imagine it is a 6 km trip from the center to the border. Less than 10 minutes in a car.

And reading yours it makes me question. How much your hometown or trips affect your building and sense of scale.

For example I live 10 km (6 miles) from the downtown, and could travel even 5 more miles in the city, and to the south 6 more miles. And is mostly low density, in some areas.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I live in Detroit, where Urban Sprawl is king, so pretty much everything here is low (single family homes) to mid (apartments) density with only some high density commercial offices in downtown Troy, Southfield, and Detroit (Troy and Southfield are 20-30 miles from Detroit). The rest of the commercial buildings are low-density offices and commercial services.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I took one for the team guys. Don't buy Cities XXL. It's just 2012 with a slightly updated UI. Same loving buildings, same lovely UI (aside from UPDATED COLORS!!!), mostly the same lovely maps and music. Everything that sucked about 2012 and Platinum still sucks.

Edit: I really wish Steam would offer a refund. I know they only do it in extreme cases but this is literally the same god drat game with a UI mod and workshop support.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 5, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Oh man, the Steam reviews are so overwhelmingly negative! http://store.steampowered.com/app/313010

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Poizen Jam, how much you paid?

Can you believe this is from the game? Midwest look.

benzine fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 5, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
More filled in:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Are those from CXXL or SC4?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
SC4, exactly this CJ: http://community.simtropolis.com/to...29#entry1521434

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I uh, don't usually feel humbled by autism, but :staredog:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Holy Christ :stare:

I just realized how dumb it looks to have huge stadiums but no carparks. Anyone have any carpark suggestions?

Also, how do I do a NC with RHW 10S or whatever the biggest one is? I'm trying to build the trans-canada highway, but I have no idea how to do a neighbour connection. I've read that if you don't do it right, only freight trucks will be able to pass or something like that.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Holy Christ :stare:

I just realized how dumb it looks to have huge stadiums but no carparks. Anyone have any carpark suggestions?

I find this quite handy: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27564-paengs-parking-lots-vol-01/

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
4 years and 100 updates in a CJ, and yet I'm almost tempted to say time well spent. Prop pox has my poisoned against attempting something of that scale anymore :(

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

benzine posted:

Poizen Jam, how much you paid?

I do not wish to disclose this information, but I will say I got the discount for owning previous versions.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

4 years and 100 updates in a CJ, and yet I'm almost tempted to say time well spent. Prop pox has my poisoned against attempting something of that scale anymore :(

The same happened to him, it is a shame his CJ is one of the best I've seen.

packersfan posted:

Well, I tested out the three large city tiles I feared for...and I fear that probably most of the large city tiles are corrupt with prop pox now...and they are all infected...the core of my city is clean, but Hawthorne, St. Paul, and Brittany (the development along Brittany River farthest west) are all corrupted with prop pox. This is already disappointing in itself and the prospect of rebuilding three incredible tiles is depressing to say the least, but then add in the fact that I'm not sure if other large tiles are already corrupted in their relative infancy...I suppose I could test each one...

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
At the risk of sounding lazy for not wanting to read his entire CJ, does he know what caused the pox? Was it the classic Peg issue or is it something that just can randomly any city large/old enough?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

At the risk of sounding lazy for not wanting to read his entire CJ, does he know what caused the pox? Was it the classic Peg issue or is it something that just can randomly any city large/old enough?

He actually posted on SC4Devotion's prop pox thread.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7066.msg491225

He thinks it is either a PEG or Xannepan file.

Edit: Prop pox, from what I understand is caused be some props that corrupt the city file, as long as you don't use certain files like CDK or an older version of PEG's MTP them it seems you'll be fine. And who knows how yours or his plugin folder got infected, but probable PEG stuff.

benzine fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 6, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Thanks for the link! But:

mgb on Simtropolis forums posted:

Also, as one of the most experienced modders around you might want to tred carefully before making the suggestion they could be faulty

Haha what the gently caress. Is someone gonna break his legs for disrespecting the precious SC4 mod crew?

Holy poo poo these guys are insufferable. How dare anyone suggest they may have made a simple programming error that caused unfortunate cascading side effects? How dare they!

I can't tell what's worse; the creepy weirdo perverts who mod Skyrim or the huge ego loonies in the SC4 community.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 6, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So it came to my attention that most of the CAMeLOTs in the OF packs are not in my MacPack, and currently my plugin folder is at 2.21GB with no beach balling and no issues with file count (this may not be the case if you don't have an SSD MBP, ymmv), SO my fellow MacBook Bros, prepare for even more diversity!

:getin:

So far the only time I've had CTD's on Mac is when I use GodMode tree plopping and accidentally go off the edge of the map while pretending to be johnny appleseed. I also have a few textures that replace the ugly vanilla ones, but I really wish that I could find a terrain mod that gives us snowcapped mountains and is as gorgeous as something like Meadowshire.

Thanks!!

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Haha who knows why that community is like that, specially some of the "big" names. At the end the idea is to make new stuff and share it with the community, I don't know how difficult it is to be more open.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

benzine posted:

Haha who knows why that community is like that, specially some of the "big" names. At the end the idea is to make new stuff and share it with the community, I don't know how difficult it is to be more open.

b-b-but MY DIGITAL RIGHTS!!!!

If these guys are this anal about their SC4 stuff, can you loving imagine how goony their goddamn android phones are (there is no way these people are the type of people to use iPhone)

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
To change topic instead of some modders to others.

As you might know or not, there are other communities like Japanese, Chinese, Spanish and French.

Some of them produce very good stuff but might not be so popular, for example.

Ever, wanted the Burj Al Arab?

Edit: removed the Allianz Arena image.

This Japanese guy, has very good stuff.

benzine fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 6, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

benzine posted:

To change topic instead of some modders to others.

As you might know or not, there are other communities like Japanese, Chinese, Spanish and French.

Some of them produce very good stuff but might not be so popular, for example.

Or the Allianz Arena?

Holy poo poo these are amazing, THANKS!

edit: gently caress the Allianz Arena link is down :(

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
There is also some stuff from Japan

:chanpop:

Tusen Takk posted:

edit: gently caress the Allianz Arena link is down :(
Sorry checked other files and worked fine.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

benzine posted:

There is also some stuff from Japan

:chanpop:

Sorry checked other files and worked fine.

No worries man, I downloaded pretty much everything on his page :)

edit: My region is coming along nicely, and even nicer once I get more diverse buildings in there

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 6, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Welp, I did it. I crammed the MacPack until it was full, and I am officially getting some beach balling.

Now to consolidate!
Edit:

quote:

Every folder, subfolder and file contributes to the problem but folders seem to be particularly problematic. Because I had my plugins neatly and logically organized into folders and subfolders, I hit that file limit much sooner than I expected. So when I started crashing, I went through my plugins folder and carefully deleted all unnecessary folders and subfolders. I put all related .dat, lot and model files for a lot or prop into one folder instead of separating them by function. In short, I removed every single unnecessary subfolder from my plugins. Then I restarted the game…using the same files that crashed the program before, but this time without all the neat folders everywhere. Worked like a charm. Another added advantage of deleting all the unnecessary subfolders is the fact that I was able to replace them with more mods, props and lots. Still no crashes.
Sorry in advance but the next MacPack is going to be very messy

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 6, 2015

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I apologize. I was apparently very wrong with my previous posts about agriculture.

SPAM works fine under CAM, even with the CAM jobs fix applied.

I ran a test city to confirm this. It has a current population of ~334,000 with an EQ of 190 and life expectancy of 75ish years. In short, it's big, educated, and healthy. Agricultural demand is holding steady at ~13,000.

There is one slight glitch. My current I-R cap is over 120,000, but the census repository reports I'm at 100% of my cap, despite my city only containing ~68,000 farming jobs. Despite supposedly being at 100% of my farming cap, if I zone for new farms, my city grows new farms.

It appears the key to keeping farm demand up in a big city is to actually build farms. If you jump straight to medium-density industrial, farm demand soon drops to zero and never comes back. But if you actually build farms, you can grow your city as much as you want and keep farms growing. (As far as I can tell, other industry doesn't counteract this. My test city has a couple dozen tiles of hi-tech industry, so farming demand doesn't appear to be affected by more advanced industry.)

I still have no idea which lot properties actually raise the I-R cap. I edited the census vault before starting my city, boosting its I-R cap release from 30,000 to 100,000. But, the game refuses to acknowledge this and only gives me the original 30,000 cap boost with each vault I lay down. :iiam:

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Paradox is doing a city simulator? Well, the bad news is when they release it it'll be every bit the buggy piece of poo poo SC2013 was--but the good news is Paradox will actually work on improving it and release patches that actually fix things. So that's actually pretty exciting!

Paradox releases have been pretty slick since CK2. Also, they're only publishing it.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

If I want to replace my Old Fashioned 3.0 install with Tai's pack should I just wipe out my plugins folder (Excluding a couple of extra mods I put in recently)?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cerebulon posted:

If I want to replace my Old Fashioned 3.0 install with Tai's pack should I just wipe out my plugins folder (Excluding a couple of extra mods I put in recently)?

Yeah, Tai's pack also has OF3.0 in it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hey Tai, what datpacker did you use? I'm hoping to compress about 3000 files into one .dat for the next MacPack but the windows datpacker is missing a few DLLs and the JDatpacker doesn't seem to work (though I haven't tried it on windows yet)

Granted that removes a lot of modularity but (if there even are any MacBook Bros left in here) I'm going to release a MacPack Lite with the essentials in case you want to diddle with it and add your own flavor to it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I use jdatpacker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tai posted:

I use jdatpacker

It's working on Windows, I think it might have worked on Mac because I just realised it packs folders as a .dat instead of grouping the individual files and putting them into a .dat, so I just made a /Stuff/Everything folder and pointed it to the stuff folder and it seems to be doing something

:getin:

• Locked thread