Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
The Wii version of TFU2 is a much better game. The level design is much less bland, and one of the planets is actually a level, where the HD version is just one room, then a cutscene.

I don't know about TFU1, but the PS3/360/PC version was even worse than TFU2 HD. The games levels often aren't clear which way to go. Guess wrong, and it'll kill you instantly and put you at the checkpoint a few seconds ago. Not a huge hassle, but it's dumb how the game has you often dying from a small drop because the platform you jumped to was "out of bounds". Its worst crime is the annoying enemies, though. The only thing that really hurts Dark Troopers for more than a sliver of damage is force lightning, but even on easy, you have to use your entire force meter's worth of lightning on them, let it recharge, and do it again before they finally die. The game is just constantly screeching to a halt to annoying crap like this. God forbid they let you feel powerful in the "Play as the most powerful jedi ever" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Tobaccrow posted:

I don't know about TFU1, but the PS3/360/PC version was even worse than TFU2 HD. The games levels often aren't clear which way to go. Guess wrong, and it'll kill you instantly and put you at the checkpoint a few seconds ago. Not a huge hassle, but it's dumb how the game has you often dying from a small drop because the platform you jumped to was "out of bounds". Its worst crime is the annoying enemies, though. The only thing that really hurts Dark Troopers for more than a sliver of damage is force lightning, but even on easy, you have to use your entire force meter's worth of lightning on them, let it recharge, and do it again before they finally die. The game is just constantly screeching to a halt to annoying crap like this. God forbid they let you feel powerful in the "Play as the most powerful jedi ever" game.

I hated how hard it was to interact with the right objects. The targeting was atrocious.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I remember loving Rogue Squadron as a kid but like the second or third level had this weird thing where I could never finish it after thinking I had completed the objectives and wound up flying around for five minutes not knowing what to do.

Anyway that's my Star Wars video game story. Shadows of the Empire was fun too.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Re: Rian Johnson

If you guys don't think the reason Disney hired him was so they could have a bright eyed up and coming director they could push around and manipulate then welp.

See example: The Marvel films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

iSheep posted:

Re: Rian Johnson

If you guys don't think the reason Disney hired him was so they could have a bright eyed up and coming director they could push around and manipulate then welp.

See example: The Marvel films.

True. That's why Guardians was manipulated as hell and didn't at all resemble a James Gunn film. Or that Iron Man 3 movie that wasn't anything like a Shane Black movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Avengers lacked all Whedon-esque banter.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

True. That's why Guardians was manipulated as hell and didn't at all resemble a James Gunn film. Or that Iron Man 3 movie that wasn't anything like a Shane Black movie.

Yet Edgar Wright backed out of Ant-Man because he wasn't going to get to direct the type of movie he wanted because it wasn't part of the Marvel Universe Vision©. And he's not the only example of someone exiting due to studio interference.

Rian Johnson has arguably just one box office hit and directed a couple of episodes of Breaking Bad. At what point do you see those and think that he would be a good candidate for Star Wars?

JJ Abrams has enough clout to tell people to gently caress off. Rian Johnson does not, hes fresh faced and eager to please. But now the rumors that are popping up about JJ's movie being a rehash, maybe that isn't even the case.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 6, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

iSheep posted:

At what point do you see those and think that he would be a good candidate for Star Wars?

Because he can tell a good, well rounded story and has a very, very strong visual pallet where he can most likely draw iconic images that will stick with us just as much as the original did.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Because he can tell a good, well rounded story and has a very, very strong visual pallet where he can most likely draw iconic images that will stick with us just as much as the original did.

Looper's cinematography was solid for sure, for some reason it kind of stressed me out and I need to watch again to pinpoint why. But even if he has control visually, it still doesn't guarantee that there won't be meddling with the finer details. I can't imagine that they are gonna let him pen the movies himself, for example.

I don't think the movies are going to be terrible because Rian Johnson is helming, in fact I don't expect them to be. But he was a safe choice for Disney, so to speak.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Marvel films are based around directors with shopworn semi-competence, minor nerd 'cred', and an ability to work well with actors . It's almost a surprise that they haven't recruited Kevin Smith.

Despite being controlled by the same megacorporation, the Star Wars sequels have so far employed young filmmakers with strong visual style and an extreme capability with effects-heavy sci-fI.

There's a pretty big difference between the guy who directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and the guy who directed Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Experience in the industry?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Experience in the industry?

No.

Shane Black has experience as a writer. Before Iron Man 3, he had directed only the visually unremarkable Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (cinematography by Michael Barrett - of A Million Ways To Die In The West, Zookeeper, and You Don't Mess With the Zohan).

Joss Whedon is also predominantly known for his writing. Before Avengers he had only really directed some episodes of Buffy, and Serenity (cinematography by Jack Green - of the 40-Year-Old Virgin, 50 First Dates, and Speed 2: Cruise Control).

Besides the Russo Brother's TV work, they did some movies I've never heard of and You, Me And Dupree (cinematography by Charles Minsky of Kazaam, Valentine's Day, and The Producers 2005).

With few exceptions, Marvel Studios has been recruiting comedy directors - people who can put actors on the screen and have them say funny dialogue. These are not directors known for their striking imagery. They're only a few degrees removed from being Adam Sandler films - which also rake in the megabucks.

On the other hand, Matt Reeves had experience writing and directing for television, but is more notable for having directed Cloverfield, Let Me In, and Dawn Of The Ape Planet - which are among the best-looking big-budget films of the last decade. Same with JJ Abrams. Gareth Edwards almost singlehandedly made a microbudget film look like a blockbuster, and then made fuckin Godzilla.

These directors are also all consciously 'Spielbergian'. JJ Abrams made Super 8, obviously, but Godzilla is also packed full of Jurassic Park imagery. And Matt Reeves consulted with Spielberg on directing the suburban kids in Let Me In.

Rian Johnson is a bit of an outlier, but is similar to Edwards in the fact that he went pretty much straight from the low-budget stylishness of Brick to Looper, which looks totally rad.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 6, 2015

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I'm sad that edgar wright no longer makes ant-man. But maybe he had too much invested in it. such is life :yotj:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Last I heard from Rian he started watching a load of old obscure Russian movies in prep for Episode VIII so it sounds like he's enjoying himself at least.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So the question is was Disney ever planning on keeping JJ for all 3 movies, or did they just need a big name to attach to the first movie to appease the fans?

Has he come out and said that he only wanted to do the one?

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

iSheep posted:

So the question is was Disney ever planning on keeping JJ for all 3 movies, or did they just need a big name to attach to the first movie to appease the fans?

Has he come out and said that he only wanted to do the one?

They seemed to announce Rian Johnson for 8 and 9 pretty early - 7 months ago. I'm willing to bet that by the time Disney asked him, Abrams was probably already mentally committed to doing a third Star Trek and was starting to feel some space movie fatigue, so he probably only wanted to do one SW in the first place instead of his theoretical third Trek. I mean, the two JJ Trek films already have a lot of Star Wars in their DNA, so not only will The Force Awakens be the third time he's made this type of film, but he pretty much jumped into it right after he finished Star Trek Into Darkness. He probably told Disney he'd safely relaunch Star Wars for them in exchange for something else, something as far from space as possible- Indiana Jones, perhaps?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MajorB posted:

They seemed to announce Rian Johnson for 8 and 9 pretty early - 7 months ago. I'm willing to bet that by the time Disney asked him, Abrams was probably already mentally committed to doing a third Star Trek and was starting to feel some space movie fatigue, so he probably only wanted to do one SW in the first place instead of his theoretical third Trek. I mean, the two JJ Trek films already have a lot of Star Wars in their DNA, so not only will The Force Awakens be the third time he's made this type of film, but he pretty much jumped into it right after he finished Star Trek Into Darkness. He probably told Disney he'd safely relaunch Star Wars for them in exchange for something else, something as far from space as possible- Indiana Jones, perhaps?

Yeah that was my thought too, possibly a favor movie for another project he wanted to do.

But he was probably was ecstatic that he got to direct a new Star Wars movie in any case.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Abrams is still executive producer for VIII and IX. He's not totally dipping out.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

On the other hand, EP credit has no information value, it can mean anything from having an active hand in the movie to just having your name in the credits. Abrams has enough EP credits to fill a phonebook since he likes to help projects off the ground without participating too heavily in the creative process.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Szmitten posted:

Last I heard from Rian he started watching a load of old obscure Russian movies in prep for Episode VIII so it sounds like he's enjoying himself at least.

This is kind of scary. I mean it's one thing to base your movie on old serials and war/samurai movies that you grew up loving but trying to force inspiration from the most obscure corners of cinema imaginable smells like some hipster level of creative vision.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

maniacripper posted:

This is kind of scary. I mean it's one thing to base your movie on old serials and war/samurai movies that you grew up loving but trying to force inspiration from the most obscure corners of cinema imaginable smells like some hipster level of creative vision.

Lucas loved quoting old Russian movies in his shots so it's not exactly a reach. Off the top of my head Episode III had a reverse staging of the Potemkin Stairs sequence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

maniacripper posted:

Maybe he likes them, gosh!!

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The best way for any artist working in any genre or style to produce a stale and redundant turd is for him to only seek inspiration in the art of his chosen genre.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

but old Russian films can be anything, like old Russian westerns or old Russian romcoms

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

maniacripper posted:

oh no! not hipsters!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

maniacripper posted:

No its not one thing, its the same loving thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Plus let's face it, a Star Wars movie inspired by, say, Andrei Rublev would be interesting at the very least.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I would like to see a blockbuster franchise movie inspired by the filmography of the Farelly brothers.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Marvel films are based around directors with shopworn semi-competence, minor nerd 'cred', and an ability to work well with actors . It's almost a surprise that they haven't recruited Kevin Smith.

Despite being controlled by the same megacorporation, the Star Wars sequels have so far employed young filmmakers with strong visual style and an extreme capability with effects-heavy sci-fI.

There's a pretty big difference between the guy who directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and the guy who directed Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes.

Marvel is very independent of Disney. They give Perlmutter and Feige the freedom to make every movie the same. This is why Marvel keeps paying their actors so low even though Disney pushes them to pay more.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Corek posted:

Marvel is very independent of Disney. They give Perlmutter and Feige the freedom to make every movie the same. This is why Marvel keeps paying their actors so low even though Disney pushes them to pay more.

If Lucasfilm is as independent as Marvel supposedly is, that would explain the differences. Kathleen Kennedy is in charge of Lucasfilm, and I think she probably has a deeper appreciation for cinematic craftsmanship than the folks in charge at Marvel do. I'd imagine she'd push for directors who actually know what they're doing.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cnut the Great posted:

If Lucasfilm is as independent as Marvel supposedly is, that would explain the differences. Kathleen Kennedy is in charge of Lucasfilm, and I think she probably has a deeper appreciation for cinematic craftsmanship than the folks in charge at Marvel do. I'd imagine she'd push for directors who actually know what they're doing.

Isaac Perlmutter, head of Marvel, is a recluse who has never done an interview and the only known photo of him is from the 1980s. He got to Marvel via selling toys with Avi Arad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guys, do 8 year olds still like the OT? I have to hang out with one tomorrow, so I thought I'd try showing him the unaltered OT. He said he's seen some of the cartoons before, but not really the movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Prepare to have your heart broke, boy. Kid's going to get bored with all the old timey-looking effects and made uncomfortable by all the hair on the 70s men. He'll love that jar jar and podrace, though, if he sees the other one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Prepare to have your heart broke, boy.

Honestly I am worried about ruining Star Wars for a kid just because I can be an idiot sometimes.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

If an 8 year old doesn't enjoy the OT he might be retarded, and you should put him down.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Raxivace posted:

Guys, do 8 year olds still like the OT? I have to hang out with one tomorrow, so I thought I'd try showing him the unaltered OT. He said he's seen some of the cartoons before, but not really the movies.

My kids love the OT and rightly pick out TESB as the best film and TPM as he worst. Kids ain't that dumb.

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
whos directing the new starwars movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tvayisnihyaami posted:

whos directing the new starwars movie

Brett Ratner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Serotonin posted:

My kids love the OT and rightly pick out TESB as the best film and TPM as he worst. Kids ain't that dumb.

Sounds like they are pretty dumb.

• Locked thread