Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe he got excited for Futures End and now isn't such a Batman Beyond fan.

Batman Beyond is one of the only good parts in that story. It's also pretty self contained and doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the series- DC should honestly just compile the BB storyline in its own trade and release it separate at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

Please everybody knows its Dark_TitsAnime

I like you. We can be pals.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FutureFriend posted:

DT can you please tell me how this drawing is actually real good

Nope, that is not a good drawing but since the rest of the issue is incredibly strong I'm willing to turn a blind eye to it (and the weird Blackfire at the end)

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the name of a demon from the SMT series, as well as the name of an Aztec god with Dark in front of it.The fact that so many tits puns can be done with it is merely happy coincidence, I believe.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Who gives a poo poo.

That is correct

At first it was just a name I pulled out of my rear end for the first board I ever participated but then I grew fond of the name and started using it everywhere (so if you see a D_T or Tzitzimine on the wild, chances are is me). Thinking about it, I have nearly ten years with it :corsair:

McSpanky posted:

Normally you'd be right but D_T always turns a deaf ear to earnest attempts to engage him in a dialogue about the troublesome elements of the things he likes. In posts like this and this there's no no malicious tone and are pretty clearly just some guys trying to better understand him and his, charitably, unusual tastes, but he ignores them without fail and plays everything off as a general difference of opinion on quality. That's suspiciously evasive at best and cowardly at worst.

I actually believe that is just a difference on opinion in quality, people just have different tastes.

Still, I'll humor you.

I answered at Yvonmukluk comment already so I'll just focus on Gaz-l's

Gaz-L posted:

Pretty tangential, but seeing that first page reminded of the original controversy, and I was wondering what our resident Red Hood fanatic's feelings on those pages and posts like this. were then, and are now?

My feelings haven't changed, back then I find the whole scene as setup for the characters development over the series and pretty in line for Kori's new backstory. Opinion that it was confirmed as the book progressed.

A follow up article on the controversy analyzing the book after, let's say, a year it would been interesting, everyone who did keep reading the series came to understand that the situation was overblown.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nope, that is not a good drawing but since the rest of the issue is incredibly strong I'm willing to turn a blind eye to it (and the weird Blackfire at the end)

The art is definitely Outlaws' biggest problem right now, which is why I think the Scott Lobdell that wrote the recent issues I read today teaming up with a better artist is going to be great. Red Hood/Arsenal all the way. I really hope it ends up being better then Outlaws was for so long. It was the book I looked forward most when the New 52 was first coming...before the entire thing turned out to be horrible. But now the New 52 is over and I couldn't be happier. Maybe everything is getting better?

I wonder if the new book will ever get around to reintroducing Lian? It looks like she's gonna be involved in the Titans issue of Convergence.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

The art is definitely Outlaws' biggest problem right now, which is why I think the Scott Lobdell that wrote the recent issues I read today teaming up with a better artist is going to be great. Red Hood/Arsenal all the way. I really hope it ends up being better then Outlaws was for so long. It was the book I looked forward most when the New 52 was first coming...before the entire thing turned out to be horrible. But now the New 52 is over and I couldn't be happier. Maybe everything is getting better?

I wonder if the new book will ever get around to reintroducing Lian? It looks like she's gonna be involved in the Titans issue of Convergence.

Starfire controversy aside, RHATO was a very fun and well put book. Lobdell has a strong grasp on this version of the characters and he knew how to balance them adequately. Logically, the team up shouldn't work due how different the characters are but he managed to make it work.

Rocafort's pencills were also vibrant, colorful and detailed (so much that even the book harsher critics accepted RHATO at pretty to look at)

And yes, the art has been the biggest issue for the book from the longest time. After Rocafort left it was stuck with Green II that it was the replacement guy for every artist back then. While the guy does have talent, he's a better fit for horror comics so his style clashed too much with RHATO's tone.

After him there were issues with various artists sharing art duties and Kirkham's excellent work with Lobdell's final issue.

When Tynion came on board they hyped Mico Suayan as the new artist (and he certainly seemed a great choice) but the guy didn't even deliver a single issue!

Julius Gopez was then appointed as the book artist and his work was, well, horrible. Tynion's script were bad enough already so having such lovely art it only served to drive away the readership.

There were some bright spots though, Jeremy Haun on the Zero Year tie in and Stephen Segovia on Tynion's final issue. Shame that the writing still sucked balls

Then Rapha Sandoval was announced as the book new artist but he only did a full issue and just vanished letting RB Silva as the de facto artist for the book.

While Silva has some issues, his style is perfect for the book and the best artist the book has had since Rocafort.

I see difficult for Liam to be introduced but who knows?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Starfire controversy aside, RHATO was a very fun and well put book. Lobdell has a strong grasp on this version of the characters and he knew how to balance them adequately. Logically, the team up shouldn't work due how different the characters are but he managed to make it work.

Rocafort's pencills were also vibrant, colorful and detailed (so much that even the book harsher critics accepted RHATO at pretty to look at)

And yes, the art has been the biggest issue for the book from the longest time. After Rocafort left it was stuck with Green II that it was the replacement guy for every artist back then. While the guy does have talent, he's a better fit for horror comics so his style clashed too much with RHATO's tone.

Aside from the stuff with Starfire, I really disliked that stuff with that secret society Jason was connected to. I don't really remember much of it at all because my memory is just piss poor and that was years ago, but I kept with it for a little while and I just thought it was all very silly and poorly explained. I don't know if those elements are connected to the current storyline and the issues I read today, but I'm hoping that's ignorable as possible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

Aside from the stuff with Starfire, I really disliked that stuff with that secret society Jason was connected to. I don't really remember much of it at all because my memory is just piss poor and that was years ago, but I kept with it for a little while and I just thought it was all very silly and poorly explained. I don't know if those elements are connected to the current storyline and the issues I read today, but I'm hoping that's ignorable as possible.

The All-Caste

Personally I found them fascinating since they added a whole new layer to Jason and potential for tons of new stories. They weren't that developed because Lobdell's plan was to have them and their fight against the Untitled as a long term arc revealing more about them as time passed. Then he was removed from the book and the idea was cut short.

Tynion tried to retcon them away by using the League of Assasins and dealing with the Untitled at once. As you can imagine, that went extremely poorly. He did managed to lay waste on the concept so I don't believe is gonna be prominent any time soon.

Since you're checking out the most recent issues, I'd love to read your thoughts on the reviews I've made about them

http://www.comicbookandmoviereviews.com/search/label/RHATO

I started reviewing with issue 35.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Since you're checking out the most recent issues, I'd love to read your thoughts on the reviews I've made about them

http://www.comicbookandmoviereviews.com/search/label/RHATO

I started reviewing with issue 35.

See man, this is what's cool about you. You put so much effort and thought into this stuff. You're a fanboy in the coolest way because even if it's not high art it means a lot to you and that's awesome. You make it high art from caring about it so much. That's what being a fan is all about, man. You put a lot of effort into what you say about comics and I really appreciate that.

I read 38, 37, and the Future's End tie in. I don't really care for Oliver Stark, but the rest of 37 was good. Of the three my favorite was the Future's End issue, because I love the idea of Jason going back to his "kills criminals" beginings. That's my sort of super hero. And the "It didn't." bit was heartwrenching. Definitely a little hard to follow, though.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
So apparently Scott Lobdell's hot new book Doomed is about the adventures of a teenage Doomsday clone....

Who is green lighting this stuff and why are they even wasting the paper?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Yay they are publishing things other than their standard in-house style.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

See man, this is what's cool about you. You put so much effort and thought into this stuff. You're a fanboy in the coolest way because even if it's not high art it means a lot to you and that's awesome. You make it high art from caring about it so much. That's what being a fan is all about, man. You put a lot of effort into what you say about comics and I really appreciate that.

I read 38, 37, and the Future's End tie in. I don't really care for Oliver Stark, but the rest of 37 was good. Of the three my favorite was the Future's End issue, because I love the idea of Jason going back to his "kills criminals" beginings. That's my sort of super hero. And the "It didn't." bit was heartwrenching. Definitely a little hard to follow, though.

Yeah the Future's End issue was great, although I have to wonder how viable that take on Jason is on the long term. Seeing him killing dudes seems easy to become boring after three issues.

The fact the interaction between Roy and Jason is so heart wrenching (despite being a few pages long) speaks tons of how good is Lobdell grasp on both characters. You CAN believe the internal struggling between them.

Red Hood/Arsenal is gonna be SO good.

And yes, I tend to be very passionate about stuff I like. :v:

Alucard Nacirema posted:

So apparently Scott Lobdell's hot new book Doomed is about the adventures of a teenage Doomsday clone....

I wouldn't give a lot of weight to that info.

I've only seen it reported by BC and that was pretty much Rich pulling out of his rear end.

The single piece of art makes me think that is more of a creator oriented thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

They already did that in a Young Justice story years ago.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I wouldn't give a lot of weight to that info.

I've only seen it reported by BC and that was pretty much Rich pulling out of his rear end.

The single piece of art makes me think that is more of a creator oriented thing.

Would be cool if it was a series based on the game DOOM

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I would read the hell out of Teenage Doomsday clone, but only if it was as humor oriented as that sounds. The cover looks all dark and serious. Eh, I'll give it the first issue try regardless of premise.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah the Future's End issue was great, although I have to wonder how viable that take on Jason is on the long term. Seeing him killing dudes seems easy to become boring after three issues.

The Punisher Red Hood MAX. It could totally work, and if I ever get a job at DC it would be my personal mission to at least write mini of that.

Actually, everyone should read Ennis' Punisher MAX. It's awesome.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Red Hood/Arsenal is gonna be SO good.

:hfive:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

The Punisher Red Hood MAX. It could totally work, and if I ever get a job at DC it would be my personal mission to at least write mini of that.

Actually, everyone should read Ennis' Punisher MAX. It's awesome.

That's something I've argued for a while. For a full no mercy Red Hood antihero it would need to be a Vertigo series, completely outside of the regular DCU.

Drop any supervillians, superheroes and superheroes and just have Jason as a incredibly trained guy willing to bring justice to the world. Having him traveling all around the world going after drug cartels, slave trade rings or corrupt politics would be awesome as hell.

His current direction is perfect for the DCU though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ElNarez posted:

I dunno, I feel like Hitch doing a Justice League book is the Big Blockbuster Book announcement that's gonna sell by the truckload, but DC's thrown it in the middle of every other piece of news because I guess unlike Marvel they don't know how to milk announcements for all they're worth (which to be honest I'm thankful for).

If it was, like "GEOFF JOHNS AND BRIAN HITCH" or "WARREN ELLIS AND BRIAN HITCH" or "[BOOKS-WITHOUT-PICTURES WRITER] AND BRIAN HITCH", I would've believed it, but Hitch without a writer is not hot stuff, his Image book was a bland version of a Mark Millar pitch comic. Besides, everyone knows that he is not going to last past the first four issues.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alucard Nacirema posted:

They published a story called Superman: Doomed about Superman becoming Doomsday and literally being referred to as SUPERDOOMSDAY and that actually turned out to be pretty good. Crazier ideas have turned up decent books.

And as far as Red Hood/Arsenal goes, frankly I will forgive literally anything Lobdell does if he takes this prime opportunity the not-a-reboot is giving him and gets rid of Arsenal's goddamn trucker hat. Just pull a Marvel and sync up Roy to look like his TV counterpart, or give him another new look, just please artists, do something to not make Roy Harper look so dumb.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Maybe he can go be bffs with H'El and NuLobo and they can be "The characters nobody demanded". He'll get jealous that he's the only one in the trio that hasn't made out with Supergirl yet.

Lobdell's attempts to make H'El the new Bizarro before Editorial, of all things, told him "no way" is still one of my favorite stories of Nu52. Both because anyone turning down Lobdell is great, and it's also the one example of Editorial doing anything worthwhile since the reboot started.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 7, 2015

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Conner and Palmiotti are going to save Starfire the same way they saved Power Girl back in the day. Really excited.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flameingblack posted:

Maybe he can go be bffs with H'El and NuLobo and they can be "The characters nobody demanded". He'll get jealous that he's the only one in the trio that hasn't made out with Supergirl yet.

Lobdell's attempts to make H'El the new Bizarro before Editorial, of all things, told him "no way" is still one of my favorite stories of Nu52. Both because anyone turning down Lobdell is great, and it's also the one example of Editorial doing anything worthwhile since the reboot started.

They can have a crossover with Marvel and Silk plus whatever other of Hopeless' donut steels survived Arena/undercover.

Beefstew posted:

Conner and Palmiotti are going to save Starfire the same way they saved Power Girl back in the day. Really excited.

I genuinely hope some of their research is just binge-watching Teen Titans.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I actually believe that is just a difference on opinion in quality, people just have different tastes.

Still, I'll humor you.

I answered at Yvonmukluk comment already so I'll just focus on Gaz-l's

My feelings haven't changed, back then I find the whole scene as setup for the characters development over the series and pretty in line for Kori's new backstory. Opinion that it was confirmed as the book progressed.

A follow up article on the controversy analyzing the book after, let's say, a year it would been interesting, everyone who did keep reading the series came to understand that the situation was overblown.

Yeah, no you didn't. You completely missed or ignored Yvonmukluk's assertion that what's being removed from the book is, specifically, a portrayal of Starfire that many people find very unappealing to female readers if not outright sexist. Gaz-L basically asked you how you felt about that same subject when the Red Hood book came out and if you feel differently now. Both of those questions are ultimately about opinions, yes, but it's your opinion that people are curious about, not the fact that it is an opinion. Instead you give these bizarre non-sequitur answers like "that's consistent with Kory's backstory from issue #2, so?" That doesn't provide any meaningful information! None of the basic facts are in dispute here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Would be cool if it was a series based on the game DOOM

RIP AND TEAR

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Can people stop responding to DarkTitsAnime and just post about the books announced.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

bat-mite looks very cute, does jurgens have a good track record with writing somewhat more light-hearted comics? never really read anything from him

Wendell
May 11, 2003

WickedHate posted:

This is the dumbest loving post I've ever seen.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DT is rapidly becoming the SuperMechagodzilla of BSS. Think about that for a minute.

Anyway, Scott Lobdell did Generation X back in the day, which is still one of my favorite comics, so I can never really hate on him as much as some of yall do. He's just up there with Humberto Ramos in the list of people who used to do good work and now have gone completely off the rails.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Wasn't there a Shazam! book by Johns coming or did I just imagine that was something that was going to happen?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Wasn't there a Shazam! book by Johns coming or did I just imagine that was something that was going to happen?

He hinted that was why he left Superman.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

He hinted that was why he left Superman.

I see... Well, here's to hoping. I've been waiting for a Shazam! book since the JL backkups.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Can people stop responding to DarkTitsAnime and just post about the books announced.

SORRY MOOOOOOOOOOOM

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
This is a fantastic idea.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Yeah, that is a super smart idea. I was pretty down on the announcement yesterday because I only saw 3-4 new books that looked like must-pulls, but if I can get a decent preview of everything before June, I'm sure I can find some other stuff to try out.

I was hoping the relaunch would help replenish my pull list, because at one point I was pulling over two dozen DC books, but I've dropped a ton over the past year, and I was looking at dropping a few more if their current arcs didn't improve, which would have brought down to like, six pulls.

Still wish there was a Zatanna solo book though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

WickedHate posted:

It was the book I looked forward most when the New 52 was first coming...before the entire thing turned out to be horrible. .

I was excited when Nicieza was attached to the book for all of a second (I distinctly remember it was either this or Teen Titans, tell me I'm not crazy). Speaking of, the fact that Nicieza wasn't given any books is kind of a crime, but so is Bryan Q. Miller being relegated to Smallville poo poo, so whatever.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Probably Magic posted:

I was excited when Nicieza was attached to the book for all of a second (I distinctly remember it was either this or Teen Titans, tell me I'm not crazy). Speaking of, the fact that Nicieza wasn't given any books is kind of a crime, but so is Bryan Q. Miller being relegated to Smallville poo poo, so whatever.

Nicieza was never attached to neither TT or RHATO, they were always Lobdell's gigs since the reveal.

Nicieza did some dialogues for both though, maybe that is what you remember.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nicieza was never attached to neither TT or RHATO, they were always Lobdell's gigs since the reveal.

Nicieza did some dialogues for both though, maybe that is what you remember.

I think during the very, very, very first promos of those books, Nicieza was attached to one of them, and then pretty immediately got scratched out and my enthusiasm dropped out of the sky and hit concrete.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Probably Magic posted:

I think during the very, very, very first promos of those books, Nicieza was attached to one of them, and then pretty immediately got scratched out and my enthusiasm dropped out of the sky and hit concrete.

Teen Titans is the most likely then, RHATO came absolutely out of nowhere (among Batwing) and left most people scratching their heads about their existence :v:

EDIT: Tomasi says that he isn't leaving the Bat books

Peter Tomasi posted:

Will talk more about Batman and Robin after the DC Burbank meet! But I can say that I am not leaving the Batman Family!

So I guess we will see more new books on its due time.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 7, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's something I've argued for a while. For a full no mercy Red Hood antihero it would need to be a Vertigo series, completely outside of the regular DCU.

Drop any supervillians, superheroes and superheroes and just have Jason as a incredibly trained guy willing to bring justice to the world. Having him traveling all around the world going after drug cartels, slave trade rings or corrupt politics would be awesome as hell.

His current direction is perfect for the DCU though.

Except those books are really skeevy and gross because they end up being about murdering undesirables and the only reason Punisher MAX gets away with it is because both the Ennis run and the Aaron run are about how Frank is a horribly broken human being who you aren't supposed to root for in any way shape or form.'

But oh wait that's not literally written in the text so you're just going to ignore that.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Please stop talking to the guy who has spent months proving he has no interest in changing his opinions. The last time anything related to his opinions was funny was the very first time someone said "hey man I gave that series you obsess over a try and what the gently caress".

The Section Eight thing is weird. I do not see the appeal. I think Hitman is one of the Truly Great comics but have zero idea what this is going to be and why there is any interest. They were a gag that has not aged well.

But I am feeling positive about the general direction. Whether it sticks or works or is profitable is going to be interesting, but good job for trying DC, it can't be easy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Please stop talking to the guy who has spent months proving he has no interest in changing his opinions. The last time anything related to his opinions was funny was the very first time someone said "hey man I gave that series you obsess over a try and what the gently caress".

The Section Eight thing is weird. I do not see the appeal. I think Hitman is one of the Truly Great comics but have zero idea what this is going to be and why there is any interest. They were a gag that has not aged well.

I've always like you Chinaman7000.

As for S8, the last tie we saw them was a fantastic cap to their existence so I have no idea where Ennis will go with them. Clones maybe>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

I've always like you Chinaman7000.

As for S8, the last tie we saw them was a fantastic cap to their existence so I have no idea where Ennis will go with them. Clones maybe>

Prequel series!

ALso Dogwelder is the best character in the history of art.

• Locked thread