Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Grimm was renewed for a fifth season. Prepare for another cliffhanger with few permanent ramifications!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I wonder what cutesy little message they'll show this time.

'Come on, surely you expect this by now!'

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Tortolia posted:

Grimm was renewed for a fifth season. Prepare for another cliffhanger with few permanent ramifications!

Nick gets... adamantite skin.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Juliet finished recited the incantation: "and one tablespoon of sugar!"
Suddenly the microwave started beeping and flashing 0000 and the blender started spinning and smashing into the counter. Adalind took a step back and noticed pages of "The Joy of Cooking" Juliet was holding, turned faster and faster as if propelled by an ancient tempest. Juliet pointed at the stove and suddenly the stove timer starting dinging and the doors of the stove swung open and inside was a portal to the Netherworld.
"I'm not going in there!" cried Adalind
"You're right." said Juliet.
Out of the portal and into her hands flew a rolling pin.
"You're going to Hell."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Astrofig posted:

I wonder what cutesy little message they'll show this time.

'Come on, surely you expect this by now!'

I legit like their messages. I wish more shows acknowledged their finale cliffhangers like Grimm does.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The messages are really fun, i hope they continue doing them.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I like them too, I just hope they never get boring, you know? Overdone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bamhand posted:

That's why you ate your carpet.

Oh.

Nick needs to ask Adalind for one of those cookies. If he was willing to munch rug Juliette might put out more often.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Interesting little science-fair project Henrietta's got going.....

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
The dog Juliette treated was Bitsie's dog, Henry.

Edit: New thread tagline proposal: "He missed."

johntfs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 7, 2015

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Grimm has been awesome recently.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

pasaluki posted:

Grimm has been awesome recently.

I can't wait until Nick decides he wants to gently caress up the Wesen Council.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

MildShow posted:

I can't wait until Nick decides he wants to gently caress up the Wesen Council.

I can't wait until Juliette decides she wants to gently caress up the Wesen Council.

Council member 1: There's a hexenbiest outside with a pistol and a skillet.

Council member 2: Oh, scheisse!

johntfs fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 7, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
You'd think that the Wesen Council would be a little less eager to pull the trigger on Nick. I mean wasn't the first time they came in contact with him when he let their operative live, even though he was attempting to ice a kid, and he provided them with info on how to cure the disease that the kid had? And the second time he caught their operative stealing a corpse, and he helped dispose of it? And all that happened this episode was that he was making inquiries about a guy who was committing murders - he hadn't even identified or arrested him at that point, they sent the hit out before that happened. "I hope the Grimm isn't annoyed" indeed.

I do like that Nick did his usual snarky thing where he sent the photo of the hitman back to the guys trying to kill him.

I question Renard's opinion that an iPad taken from a suspected hitman containing bounties for people and photos of the people dead isn't enough to stand up in court. Convictions have been gotten for a lot less evidence than that. So what that they don't have the murder weapon, he's a hitman, he got rid of it somewhere.

I'm not so sure about Juliette suddenly becoming the Chosen Hexenbiest all of a sudden, though. She wasn't one before and only became one via some strange side-effect so her being super-powerful seems unlikely. Adalind had to go through this whole elaborate ritual involving the dismemberment of another Hexenbiest and smearing its organ juices on herself, but Juliette is a more powerful one because Renard's mom forgot to carry the 3?

I'm also glad that there will be a 5th season because that's when they'll apparently answer what those keys are for.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I suggest re-reading the last two pages after you've watched the latest episode. Many of the posts' desires are partially fulfilled, eg:

Cactus posted:

They'd better loving not change Juliet back.

A Grimm like Nick will always have enemies, some of them very powerful. Being the wife of a Grimm means you're potentially always going to be a target for those enemies, in order to get leverage or just plain ruin his life. Juliet as she was before was pretty much defenceless against these attacks, and as we've seen, this was taken advantage of much to Nick's inconvenience.

Now that one of those attacks has backfired and given Juliet not only a means to defend herself, but also to proactively help the good cause, it would be downright selfish and irresponsible of her to give up those powers and thereby give back to Nick's enemies a handy avenue of attack. This is a direct parallel to Nick's earlier realisation that although he might have wanted to stop being a Grimm, he cannot in good conscience do so now that he is involved in Wessen affairs and is an essential force for good in that world.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 7, 2015

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not so sure about Juliette suddenly becoming the Chosen Hexenbiest all of a sudden, though. She wasn't one before and only became one via some strange side-effect so her being super-powerful seems unlikely. Adalind had to go through this whole elaborate ritual involving the dismemberment of another Hexenbiest and smearing its organ juices on herself, but Juliette is a more powerful one because Renard's mom forgot to carry the 3?

Renard said that Adalind got a lot stronger when she got her powers back so that probably influenced how strong Juliette would become, and he also said that created Hexenbiests were very strong. Who knows how that adds up but holy gently caress yes more badass Juliette. Stabbing that manticore with it's own stinger, goddamn. :black101:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Strabo4 posted:

Renard said that Adalind got a lot stronger when she got her powers back so that probably influenced how strong Juliette would become, and he also said that created Hexenbiests were very strong. Who knows how that adds up but holy gently caress yes more badass Juliette. Stabbing that manticore with it's own stinger, goddamn. :black101:

Kind of predictable, but I liked that she seemed to be coming around to it by the end of the episode. I loved her smirk just before she said "he missed."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Space Racist posted:

Kind of predictable, but I liked that she seemed to be coming around to it by the end of the episode. I loved her smirk just before she said "he missed."

Yeah, this plotline is great. I hope they never change her back.

I see the argument that Juliette being arbitrarily super strong as a hexenbiest is somehow "unearned," but I don't really care. The show's done a pretty good job of demonstrating how strong-willed and intelligent she is, which is a real accomplishment considering how epidemic underwritten love interests are in these kinds of genre shows. Giving her a reason to exert control over her surroundings is always a good thing.

And let's face it: the only other hexenbiest we've really spent any time with is Adalind. And she's not competent. Juliette as a hexenbiest should feel like Hermione Granger, compared to Adalind.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Adalind is the worst hexenbiest. It always seems like she went a hexenbiest diploma mill because of her incompetence.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Adalind is the worst hexenbiest. It always seems like she went a hexenbiest diploma mill because of her incompetence.

Given what we've seen other hexenbiest do its shocking that Adalind and her mother were so insanely weak compared to the rest of them.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

pasaluki posted:

My whole thing is if Nick not telling Juliette about the wesen is a huge breach of trust, then what is this?
The situations are pretty different too. When Nick learned about Grimms and Wessen, it was from his Aunt/surrogate Mother who had hidden it from him his whole life. Not only did she tell him flat-out that letting ANYONE in on his secret would probably get them killed, she clearly had believed that strongly enough to keep it up even while raising a child. Then Nick meets Monroe, and it's made double-clear that telling ANYONE about Wessen is bad for everyone, and will probably get anyone involved killed or institutionalized.

So he didn't tell Juliet because he didn't want her dead, and had been told by his most trustworthy sources on the matter that secrecy was the only way to keep her safe.

Juliet, on the other hand, is just hiding it so far because she's scared Nick will chop her head off? Wow, that's a definite lack of faith in her partner. Or she just doesn't want him to know she's a Wessen now, despite the fact that half of their closest friends already are. Even Nick's assumed prejudice against Hexenbiests doesn't hold up, since one of his most trusted allies is one (well, the male version, close enough) and another (Renard's Mom) came to their rescue to counteract Adalind's rapey fuckmagic.

Short version, Nick had very good reason to think that hiding the truth was safer for everyone at first, while Juliet should have every reason to think that NOT hiding her condition is the best thing to do. But she's keeping it secret from Nick because... their relationship has serious communication problems.

pentyne posted:

Given what we've seen other hexenbiest do its shocking that Adalind and her mother were so insanely weak compared to the rest of them.
That phone number trick that Henrietta does is seriously impressive. It makes anything Adalind has ever done look clumsy and amateur.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

I suggest re-reading the last two pages after you've watched the latest episode. Many of the posts' desires are partially fulfilled, eg:

Yes, I'm glad they're doing what we want for once. If I were going to make any tiny change as to how to go about it, I wouldn't have made it a case of Henrietta telling Juliet that it's impossible to change back, I'd have made it a choice and have the last scene this episode be Juliet showing up at Henrietta's place and telling her no, I don't want to go back. I have a lot to learn so let's get started. This would have given her more agency and played to how strong her character is becoming.

Now all they need to do is bring Trubel back and all is forgiven.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This episode was really good, but I found it a little bit disjointed. They have so many central characters now that the scenes felt really choppy.

Still, the payoff was totally worth it. Juliette stabbing the Manticore with his own stinger was unbelievable awesome.

And that little smirk. "He missed." In season 2, Juliette was the worst character with the worst plot. They redeemed her beyond my wildest hopes.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Pretty good episode. I don't like Nick's ignorance/acceptance of Juliet killing the Manticore (you know, the Wesen Monroe said "are practically impossible to kill.") without some "how in the gently caress?" I thought for sure that was going to be an easy way to allow Nick in on it. Then he couldn't really be that mad because it saved her life, and she could tell him that its not the first time it has, and what? Relationship drama of "I didn't fall in love with a Hexenbeist" bullshit? It should be absolutely fine, and maybe even welcomed by Nick. As has been pointed out, he is an ally of a beist, trusts said one's mother, and obviously doesn't follow strict Grimming tradition, has other Wesen friends, etc. Oh, and from what I've seen Juliette is going to stay young looking and attractive for many decades to come. Win win.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

and :lol: if they ever introduce a storyline where the Wesen tendency to vogue when they "lose control" leads to some uncomfortable sex scenes. Go on writers, I know you have it in you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cactus posted:

and :lol: if they ever introduce a storyline where the Wesen tendency to vogue when they "lose control" leads to some uncomfortable sex scenes. Go on writers, I know you have it in you.

Grimm S4: Come on, woge, let your body go with the flow

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I just had a thought: when do hexenbeasts "come of age"? Is it possible Juliette was always a hexenbeast and just didn't know it? Maybe the Adalind shenanigans just kind of jump started her latent power?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Boru posted:

I just had a thought: when do hexenbeasts "come of age"? Is it possible Juliette was always a hexenbeast and just didn't know it? Maybe the Adalind shenanigans just kind of jump started her latent power?

Diana is six months old and has full hexenbiest powers, so potentially they "come of age" at birth. Diana's a bit abnormal, but it does appear to be during childhood. Rosalee told Trubel she began to woge when she was 13, and there was the feral Blutbad girl in S1 who disappeared aged seven and was found aged 16 in full woge. The girl's adoptive mother didn't know she was wesen, and it not seeming likely that a young wesen would be able to control the woge any better than Juliette, that implies wesen must start to woge between those ages. Puberty is most likely the trigger.

Odds are also good that any hexenbiest in Portland would know Juliette's parents if they were also hexenbiests, so barring a ridiculous foundling plot she wasn't born that way.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I feel like that bitchslap would have made wogeing worse, but maybe it's a secret hexenbeist technique. :v:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Just caught up. The Wesen council is really bad at hiring hitmen. I would think that even human policemen would be concerned at 3 different murders in their jurisdiction all having the same m.o. If they had a hitman that used guns, I could see them using the same guy. But scorpion venom in a huge stab wound every time would probably send up some red flags.

It was nice that the two guys who relay messages for the council didn't agree with the killing of Nick, since he actually found the cure to something that they have been killing children for for centuries.

Here's hoping Juliette rips out Adelind's throat like she did Rosalee in her nightmare.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
After this episode i am really warming up to the idea of Juliette staying a Hexenbiest.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Pretty good episode. I don't like Nick's ignorance/acceptance of Juliet killing the Manticore (you know, the Wesen Monroe said "are practically impossible to kill.") without some "how in the gently caress?" I thought for sure that was going to be an easy way to allow Nick in on it. Then he couldn't really be that mad because it saved her life, and she could tell him that its not the first time it has, and what? Relationship drama of "I didn't fall in love with a Hexenbeist" bullshit? It should be absolutely fine, and maybe even welcomed by Nick. As has been pointed out, he is an ally of a beist, trusts said one's mother, and obviously doesn't follow strict Grimming tradition, has other Wesen friends, etc. Oh, and from what I've seen Juliette is going to stay young looking and attractive for many decades to come. Win win.

Yes it makes me think they're really keeping it back for some horrible drama. This was the perfect time to tell him but they decided to not go for that, expect some horrible writing in the next couple episodes.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tbqh at this point frustratedly yelling "JUST. loving. TELL. THEM!!!" at various characters throughout the shows run has become part of what I perversely enjoy about watching Grimm. It's kind of fun to try and guess how long they're going to drag out whatever the current secret is, and to what lengths they'll stretch credulity to get there. I think this one has legs; there's a lot of frustration still that can be gleaned from it. When it gets revealed though I don't think it will be planned or go in Juliet's favour.

I mean come on, you had to have laughed at the pepperpot scene and her ridiculous explanation of it to Nick, and I hope there's plenty more of that to come. Look on it as her taking revenge for all that time he kept her in the dark.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Cactus posted:

I mean come on, you had to have laughed at the pepperpot scene and her ridiculous explanation of it to Nick

I kind of forgot about that scene, but when it was happening I thought very highly of Juliette for actually being curious about this whole Wesen powers thing. (I also was giddy when Wu knew it was a Manticore from his research) kind of like every fan of this show would be if any of this were real. I get that it is a fantasy world and we can suspend disbelief at reactions, etc. because we obviously have no frame of reference with dealing with actual fairy-tale creatures, but if all of the sudden anyone was turned into a witch, they would be trying to levitate/ESP/whatever in no time.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I kind of forgot about that scene, but when it was happening I thought very highly of Juliette for actually being curious about this whole Wesen powers thing. (I also was giddy when Wu knew it was a Manticore from his research) kind of like every fan of this show would be if any of this were real. I get that it is a fantasy world and we can suspend disbelief at reactions, etc. because we obviously have no frame of reference with dealing with actual fairy-tale creatures, but if all of the sudden anyone was turned into a witch, they would be trying to levitate/ESP/whatever in no time.

Yeah, this episode is pretty much the most interested I've been in Juliette as a character since... um... the pilot?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Good episode. Lots of plot holes, but at least it's entertaining. Juliette is bad rear end as a hexenbiest, but the "not telling Nick" thing continues to make absolutely no sense and is lazy writing. If we're really expected to chalk that up to Juliette's personality and not the writers being incompetent then I hope Nick and her never gets married as she needs lots of therapy and counseling on communication skills. Still no explanation for why nobody says "just use a bit of grimm blood". They even introduced a character with deep knowledge of Hexenbiests and who is aware that Juliette is in a relationship with a Grimm who loves her, but at no point does she bring up the easy fix either. They better introduce some kind of "plot to keep Juliette a hexenbiest" thing involving this character to explain that, but I'm sure the writers will just forget about it. Also did not buy the "not enough evidence" thing in regards to the bounty hunter, but at least there I can believe that all the characters have a vested interest in just killing off these type of interlopers rather than use the system. All in all the episode was messy as usual, but 10x better than the last one. Adalind is tolerable in a simple "villain" role, let us hope they can resist the temptation to give her any more characterization than that until she croaks.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

Good episode. Lots of plot holes, but at least it's entertaining. Juliette is bad rear end as a hexenbiest, but the "not telling Nick" thing continues to make absolutely no sense and is lazy writing. If we're really expected to chalk that up to Juliette's personality and not the writers being incompetent then I hope Nick and her never gets married as she needs lots of therapy and counseling on communication skills. Still no explanation for why nobody says "just use a bit of grimm blood". They even introduced a character with deep knowledge of Hexenbiests and who is aware that Juliette is in a relationship with a Grimm who loves her, but at no point does she bring up the easy fix either. They better introduce some kind of "plot to keep Juliette a hexenbiest" thing involving this character to explain that, but I'm sure the writers will just forget about it. Also did not buy the "not enough evidence" thing in regards to the bounty hunter, but at least there I can believe that all the characters have a vested interest in just killing off these type of interlopers rather than use the system. All in all the episode was messy as usual, but 10x better than the last one. Adalind is tolerable in a simple "villain" role, let us hope they can resist the temptation to give her any more characterization than that until she croaks.

There is no easy fix. There is no "fix" at all. It wouldn't matter if Juliette drank an entire swimming pool full of Grimm blood, it wouldn't turn her back human. That's what Henrietta was saying. Like Nick and Hank told We earlier, this is Juliette's new normal.

As for as the evidence, they kind of have too much of the wrong kind. If it was just the photos, it might work. However, they have a witness who is going to say "Yep, he killed the guy by turning into a big giant scorpion monster and stinging him with the huge stinger tail he also grow out of his rear end." There's no murder weapon because the guy grows his own weapon. Even if they somehow found a jury to convict him, there's no prison that can credibly hold him.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

johntfs posted:

There is no easy fix. There is no "fix" at all. It wouldn't matter if Juliette drank an entire swimming pool full of Grimm blood, it wouldn't turn her back human. That's what Henrietta was saying. Like Nick and Hank told We earlier, this is Juliette's new normal.

As for as the evidence, they kind of have too much of the wrong kind. If it was just the photos, it might work. However, they have a witness who is going to say "Yep, he killed the guy by turning into a big giant scorpion monster and stinging him with the huge stinger tail he also grow out of his rear end." There's no murder weapon because the guy grows his own weapon. Even if they somehow found a jury to convict him, there's no prison that can credibly hold him.

She never said anything of the sort. If she'd gone "Nicks blood cannot drive out the infection as created hexenbiests of power are resistant" we would have a (albeit lame) nod to the world as established. That the writers did not do that means they're either totally incompetent and forgot about it, or they're underestimating their audience either by purposefully ignoring the entire thing, or by milking this development for the rest of the season only to introduce the easy fix in the finale.

The witness saw him murder someone, is able to identify the person, but with the shock and the darkness in the alley their mind played tricks on them. The witness might very well rationalize their experience like that before testifying. Police looked for the murder weapon (a large poisoned dagger), but were unable to find it as the professional hitman disposed of it. I think he could easily be convicted with all the evidence they had. Whether or not a prison is able to hold him is irrelevant. They complained about the evidence, they never mentioned how they would jail him.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 8, 2015

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Biomute posted:

She never said anything of the sort. If she'd gone "Nicks blood cannot drive out the infection as created hexenbiests of power are resistant" we would have a (albeit lame) nod to the world as established. That the writers did not do that means they're either totally incompetent and forgot about it, or they're underestimating their audience either by purposefully ignoring the entire thing, or by milking this development for the rest of the season only to introduce the easy fix in the finale.

From the writers' Twitter, it looks like they have something in mind. Whether or not they're actually able to pull it off remains to be seen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Biomute posted:

Or Henrietta has an ulterior motive.

• Locked thread