Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Moltrey posted:

God, Part 7 is a lot of fun already. The open nature of a horse race really helps pacing. Events bleed into another and it feels like a grand journey. I know Stands become a big player later, but I really like how they are right now where those who do have them, don't quite know what they are and are called Cursed Men. They're kinda new and mysterious again. I also like that all of the fights so far are just Johnny and Gyro trying to figure out the gently caress is going on as they deal with weirdos just running up on them out of nowhere.

Stands are also super toned back compared to part 6 and theres basically no punchghost stands in the entire arc, which I found really refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that carries over to arc 8 as well, which is cool. jojolion also takes on more of a mystery kinda tone compared to steel ball run's action-oriented setting. they're both really good at keeping a steady pace and the characters are top-notch for different reasons.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

bonewitch posted:

Stands are also super toned back compared to part 6 and theres basically no punchghost stands in the entire arc, which I found really refreshing.

Yeah, it's a cool change of pace that really lends SBR to have its own, very distinct feel. Also Johnny is really sarcastic; I can't think of any other anime or manga character that is reqlly dry and deadpan. It's a very Western style of humor, which is cool to see in a manga.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, there's probably already been more punchghosting in JoJolion than the entirety of SBR, and JJL has been pretty light on straight up fights.

The universe reset in general was a god-send to JoJo. Part 8 isn't quite SBR tier, but it's still drat good.

e: universe reset in place of time skip.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 10, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

hoobajoo posted:

Yeah, it's a cool change of pace that really lends SBR to have its own, very distinct feel. Also Johnny is really sarcastic; I can't think of any other anime or manga character that is reqlly dry and deadpan. It's a very Western style of humor, which is cool to see in a manga.

Johnny is not sarcastic and enthusiastically laughs at all Gyro's jokes. :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

johnny is an amazing jojo because on one hand you can make a lot of comparisons to johnathan and the like but on the other hand he is super ready to just throw down and kill a dude to the point where it freaks out gyro. in the meanwhile he just fucks around and jokes about things and the dynamic he has with gyro is really good.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hoobajoo posted:

Gyro thinking he's sincere is :3: as heck.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gyro is the best JoJo.
It aint even close.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
There's been 2 overt fights in Jojolion so far, Fun Fun Fun and I Am A Rock. Everything else has been a non-fight battle, which is probably my favorite thing about jojo's.

WHAT'S THE MATTER, JOSUKE? TAKE A TISSUE!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

YOUR NOSE IS BLEEDING, JOSUKE.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Personally, I love the non-fights in JoJolion. they’re just as tense as the straight-up battles, but are much more subdued and creative. A lot of the time you don’t even realize a stand battle is underway until the characters do, so it’s just as surprising / confusing to us reading it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WARNING, GORE! WARNING, GORE!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I also really love how Araki managed to make a pathetic, useless in most ways guy like Speedwagon, but entirely unsympathetic and unlovable unlike Speedwagon.

Joshuu is simultaneously great and really lovely and it owns.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bonewitch posted:

Johnny is not sarcastic and enthusiastically laughs at all Gyro's jokes. :colbert:

I'm sorry but no.

Also, I want to echo the sentiment that the new approach to Stands is really good and cool. Punchghosts ruled for long enough, using really weird abilities to outwit others is awesome.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

bonewitch posted:

This post right here is sarcasm.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I want to see the universe where Gyro survives and Johnny finds he has to actually form a band with him.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kabanaw posted:

There's been 2 overt fights in Jojolion so far, Fun Fun Fun and I Am A Rock. Everything else has been a non-fight battle, which is probably my favorite thing about jojo's.

Speaking of the guy who had Fun Fun Fun... I wonder what was up with the original Kira's Stand?

His sister says he could create exploding bubbles, but the Fun Fun Fun dude says Kira made him eat his own fingers somehow. These two abilities don't seem to correlate all that much. I wonder if someone's lying, or we're in for a surprise.

...or Araki settled for something else midway and it doesn't mean anything.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Speaking of the guy who had Fun Fun Fun... I wonder what was up with the original Kira's Stand?

His sister says he could create exploding bubbles, but the Fun Fun Fun dude says Kira made him eat his own fingers somehow. These two abilities don't seem to correlate all that much. I wonder if someone's lying, or we're in for a surprise.

Nah, Kira just convinced a drunk dude to eat his own fingers, nothing more nothing less.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

Maybe he severed his fingers with exploding bubbles and then he made him eat them?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Like how being a jojo in JJBA automatically makes you a heroic protagonist, being a Kira automatically makes you feel hosed up things about hands

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does part 7 have the biggest kill count by the protagonists?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 11, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

No protagonist makes it out alive. Except the Steels if you count them. Johnny almost did until Jojolion came and smashed his head in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No, I meant how many people the protagonists kill.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm pretty sure the part 5 crew killed literally everyone they faced.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes they tortured them first.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Part 3 has a pretty high body count when you realize how many people were left for dead or otherwise had no plausible way of surviving, like Wheel of Fortune or Dark Blue Moon.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

Part 3 has a pretty high body count when you realize how many people were left for dead or otherwise had no plausible way of surviving, like Wheel of Fortune or Dark Blue Moon.

Dark Blue Moon definitely died given that his head was sliced in two

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Dark Blue Moon definitely died given that his head was sliced in two

I couldn't remember if he clearly died, or was just knocked out and presumably drowned off screen. Either way, the Crusaders murder a ton of their enemies.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

I couldn't remember if he clearly died, or was just knocked out and presumably drowned off screen. Either way, the Crusaders murder a ton of their enemies.

To be honest, I found it more surprising going through stardust crusaders and seeing how many they didn't murder. There are a surprising amount who are just knocked out even after sustaining life threatening injuries like having your face blown up or being shot in the head.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

No protagonist makes it out alive. Except the Steels if you count them. Johnny almost did until Jojolion came and smashed his head in.

Speaking of, Josuke supposedly died after part 4, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Everybody died except for Rohan and possibly Giorno.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

To be honest, I found it more surprising going through stardust crusaders and seeing how many they didn't murder. There are a surprising amount who are just knocked out even after sustaining life threatening injuries like having your face blown up or being shot in the head.

It seems like the Stardust Crusaders only kill people who attack bystanders. The only exception I remember was Vanilla Ice, who had succeeded in killing two of the Stardust Crusaders and who Polnareff had no way to defeat nonlethally.

Edit: They also left Alessi alive even though he'd attacked a random woman.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 11, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah here's a list from when I got called out for posting the same thing about most of the SC antagonists dying.

MonsterEnvy posted:

To this comment in the Anime thread here are what happened to all Part 3 Villains in order.

Grey Fly: Died
Fake Captain: Drowned
Forever: Ether died from the beating or his ship collapsing
Devo: Died
Rubber Soul: Unknown may have died from beating or just badly beaten
Hol Horse: Alive sent to hospital
J. Geil: Died
Nena: Died
ZZ: Alive and had his passport stolen
Enya: Spared by the group but died to Steely Dan
Steely Dan: Unknown probably dead however.
Arabia Fats: Alive with a knock on the head.
Mannish Boy: Alive but forced to eat poo poo.
Cameo: Alive but comically burnt.
Midler: Alive but had her teeth knocked out.
N'Doul: Killed himself.
Oingo: Alive sent to hospital
Boingo: Alive sent to hospital
Chaka: Alive
Khan: Alive
Mariah: Alive sent to hospital
Alessei: Alive sent to hospital
Daniel J. D'Arby: Alive had a breakdown
Petshop: Dead head exploded
Terence T. D'Arby: Unknown he was punched into a wall.
Kenny G.: Dead killed by Iggy
Vanilla Ice: Dead sunned
Nukesaku: Dead killed by Dio
DIO: Dead sunned

I still think they left some of them to die like ZZ and Arabia Fats.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Iggy killed Kenny G?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Chaka survived?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Tobaccrow posted:

Chaka survived?

That's exactly what I thought when I dug up that post but I guess his wound only immobilized him.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speaking of, Josuke supposedly died after part 4, right?
On the account of the universe resetting, maybe? We don't really know what happened to Joseph, Josuke, and Giorno. Maybe they made it through okay.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hoobajoo posted:

If he didn't die from the head slice or drowning, he definitely died considering that Jotaro left him bleeding out in shark infested water.

Silver2195 posted:

It seems like the Stardust Crusaders only kill people who attack bystanders. The only exception I remember was Vanilla Ice, who had succeeded in killing two of the Stardust Crusaders and who Polnareff had no way to defeat nonlethally.

Edit: They also left Alessi alive even though he'd attacked a random woman.

Rubber Soul, too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Broseph Brostar posted:

That's exactly what I thought when I dug up that post but I guess his wound only immobilized him.

Uh, didn't he get Polnareff's sword through his neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Another thing I like about SBR and from what I know about JoJolion it also does this, is that it feels more like a serial drama. Previous parts had an overarching story, but they were mostly vehicles for fights until the characters managed to track down the villain.

SBR seems to be building up a lot more and developing things slower. The whole first ten chapters are all the first stage of the race and introducing characters and the Steel Balls, then there's a whole chapter to Steven Steel's silly backstory, then the Boom family murder happens and Mountain Tim is brought into the spotlight. Before we even meet the Boom family, there's a whole chapter of fighting some completely different guy. It all feels really episodic and building off past chapters and not just Stand of the Week with some goofy poo poo happening.

Throughout all this, Johnny is slowly learning the Spin and learning more about Gyro. It all comes together really well and I am so excited to read more knowing that it gets even better. I know JoJolion has a whole mystery going on and answers are slowly being revealed and I really hope Araki can stick that landing.

JoJo is good.

• Locked thread