Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

pixaal posted:

I think Ichigos sister was developing a power and is far more likely to do something even if its only in the epilog. Kubo is bad at making remember things like that eye patch.

Wasn't she "working" at Urahara's? Or maybe I'm making things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

|Ziggy| posted:

Wasn't she "working" at Urahara's? Or maybe I'm making things up.

Yeah Urahara said he had something in mind for them like forever ago, so of course they will do nothing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah Urahara said he had something in mind for them like forever ago, so of course they will do nothing.

Karin should tell Urahara to force access to her zanpakuto.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

hiddenriverninja posted:

Karin should tell Urahara to force access to her zanpakuto.

There's laws against that, even in Japan, you depraved sicko.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lamebot posted:

There's laws against that, even in Japan, you depraved sicko.

Yeah, I might have worded that wrong. He should teach her how to summon her zanpakuto.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yeah, I might have worded that wrong. He should teach her how to summon her zanpakuto.

I don't care what euphemism you use, that's just wrong, man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'll say one thing in Bleach's favor: every week, I legitimately do not know what's going to happen...because Kubo has tendency to just go off on tangents and waste time in new and...well, new ways. Keeps ya guessing, I suppose?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Not really.

This week in Bleach: someone either negates all of his opponent's attacks through bullshit, or dies horribly. The bad guy smugs it up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This week in Bleach: somebody is smug about something.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

This arc of Bleach has had 300% more death of actual characters instead of random bad guys there to be impressive and bad and strong then any other arc.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
This week in Bleach: nothing happens...for 16 loving pages...

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Speaking of death...is Kira dead? I mean...he got a rather large hole blasted in him and nobody has mentioned him since. Not even so much as an,"Oh no! He's dead!" or a "He's healing up with some of the other wounded". Just blasted by an arrow and forgotten. For all we know they just swept him up with the debris and threw him away like an empty beer can.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is no particular reason why Kira should have survived. His role in the story is over and he has no particular relevance to any major characters. So yes, he is alive because Kubo never loving kills people off even when he should.

Plus, Kira used to have a pretty large fanbase because of yaoi fan works.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Plus, Kira used to have a pretty large fanbase because of yaoi fan works.

I liked him because he had a pretty cool sword and power. :shrug:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Attestant posted:

I liked him because he had a pretty cool sword and power. :shrug:

The sword's ability was awesome.

I think what made me like Kira was his inner conflict after Gin defected. His character developed as he had to cope with the new reality and prove himself. Granted his character development was rather mopey.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Honestly, Kubo dropped the ball with the defected captain replacements. I wish Vaizards would have stayed the gently caress away, and the more popular liutenants get Captain status, cool new powers and more screentime.

But no, Kubo is gonna Kubo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Attestant posted:

Honestly, Kubo dropped the ball with the defected captain replacements. I wish Vaizards would have stayed the gently caress away, and the more popular liutenants get Captain status, cool new powers and more screentime.

But no, Kubo is gonna Kubo

It's not like becoming captains made the Vaizards do more stuff. Rose and Kensei died 3 times and became zombies and Shinji got beat up twice by random mooks. If some of the lieutenants became captains they would have jobbed out without fanfare regardless.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
The idea behind the Vaizards was great. The application was lacking. We were led to believe they were gonna be cool and strong. Then they all jobbed.

You can only hold your mask for 10 seconds!?? Loser. I can hold mine for 1 minute before jobbing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

|Ziggy| posted:

The idea behind the Vaizards was great. The application was lacking. We were led to believe they were gonna be cool and strong. Then they all jobbed.

You can only hold your mask for 10 seconds!?? Loser. I can hold mine for 1 minute before jobbing.

And the coolest one can hold her mask for a long time! Unless she uses it to fight in which case it wears off in seconds so she can job more effectively. Holy poo poo was that stupid.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And the coolest one can hold her mask for a long time! Unless she uses it to fight in which case it wears off in seconds so she can job more effectively. Holy poo poo was that stupid.

Yeah this was stupid.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gyges posted:

Remember Tatsuki? Friend to both Ichigo and Orihime, good at fighting and can sense/see ghosts? It was a long set up for powers she never developed and a position in the vast character sea that never really materialized. She ends up with only slightly more screen time than that lesbian with glasses.

The chapter was named "the princess and the dragon". I hoped the other earth characters were gonna be big but I doubt it now as they would have to go from no one to stronger than captains. Chad hasn't won a real fight ever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tenzarin posted:

The chapter was named "the princess and the dragon". I hoped the other earth characters were gonna be big but I doubt it now as they would have to go from no one to stronger than captains. Chad hasn't won a real fight ever.

He beat that hollow and that Arrancar and a few lower level shinigami.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Were Shinji and Co. "cured" of their hollow forms or something? I can't remember the last time they transformed or if they can, why they haven't.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

antavila posted:

Were Shinji and Co. "cured" of their hollow forms or something? I can't remember the last time they transformed or if they can, why they haven't.

They weren't. I think there was some dumb agreement by them and Yamamoto that they only got reinstated if they never used it again.

Which is straight up retarded but it absolutely fits with Yamamoto's character.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
poo poo still doesn't make any sense though, Yamamoto was the type to let pride be his downfall, but I can't imagine Shinji would be willing to let SS fall without even masking up out of respect for the old man's wishes. Nobody has masked up since it was a plot point for Ichigo.

Comedy option: Kubo literally forgot they can do that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The real reason is that masking up would be a cool last page power-up. Giving the jobbers a chapter end to power-up would mean that nothing else was allowed to happen in that issue, which means that each of their fights would have lasted that extra chapter. Vaizards forgetting they had masks was just Kubo's idea of pacing.

Of course, the fact that hollow powers are ruinously effective against quincies was probably just plain forgotten.

Covok
May 27, 2013

That whole retcon that Quincies hate hollowed because they're allergic to hollows was meh. The original idea -- they didn't understand cosmology and hated hollows for killing their loved ones without realizing that the hollows may very well have been their loved ones -- was a little better.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
What are the odds that Kubo says gently caress it and just starts slaughtering characters in the final battle?

I'm still not sure why Monk-guy came back.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thoren posted:

What are the odds that Kubo says gently caress it and just starts slaughtering characters in the final battle?

I'm still not sure why Monk-guy came back.

I don't know, that sounds like it would be very un-Kubo so Kubo wouldn't do it. It'd be more Kubo to just get them all jobbed.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Covok posted:

That whole retcon that Quincies hate hollowed because they're allergic to hollows was meh. The original idea -- they didn't understand cosmology and hated hollows for killing their loved ones without realizing that the hollows may very well have been their loved ones -- was a little better.

I agree. Some of the more recent events might be fleshing that idea out more (The importance of blood, why the existence of the Soul King is somehow anathema to Quincy) but they still feel like a retcon.

The fact that it coincided with the Shinigami getting their Bankai back didn't help either. The whole situation came across as though Kubo suddenly needed to contrive a way to resolve what was supposed to be a long term problem immediately. If you'll recall, this was shortly after Bleach came back from a long hiatus and followed the announcement that Bleach was entering the final final story arc. The whole thing just screams "wrap it up."

I think one of the more disappointing aspects of this arc is that the more meaningful character development has almost completely disappeared. Compare Rukia's major encounter in the Hueco Mundo arc vs this one. The former was directly tied to her backstory and we learned more about Rukia and her past relationship with Kaien. In the latter we learned that she's now better at killing baddies because she can kill them in a fancy two page spread. It's been this way for almost every character.

At this point I'm guessing we're not going to get a flashback with Byakuya that finally reveals what caused the drastic transition between the emotional brat he was during the Turn Back the Pendulum arc and the stoic hardass he became later. Which would mean his arc is pretty much complete and there was no reason for him to survive other than to avoid upsetting people.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zogundar posted:

At this point I'm guessing we're not going to get a flashback with Byakuya that finally reveals what caused the drastic transition between the emotional brat he was during the Turn Back the Pendulum arc and the stoic hardass he became later.

Didn't his wife die?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah I don't think it's been a question since the end of the SS arc. Wasn't he emotional and distraught when his wife died, too? He made the decision that day that THE RULES WERE NOT MADE TO BE BROKEN and his "stoicness" is just a representation of how he lost his sense of humor that day.

I do agree with you though that there's no chance Kubo is going to do anything worthwhile with him anymore and he definitely should have stayed dead where he could have at least been a prop for Rukia's development.

Really, Kubo picked the worst possible time to completely skip any sort of training montage. We would have been far richer with clips of Byakuya and Rukia and even Renji deciding what was really important to them and training super hard and growing as individuals. The way he wrote it he may as well have had them die and new characters who are super strong show up and beat up Quincies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is time for Don Kanonji to shine!

Note: It is always time for Don Kanonji.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I would unironically buy a spinoff all about Don Kanonji.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Why does everyone have such a hard-on for that character?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

hagie posted:

Why does everyone have such a hard-on for that character?

Probably because his small arc in pre-SS times was pretty good and cool.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

No, no it wasn't. He is a horrible character.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

hagie posted:

Who is your favourite Bleach character?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
It was funny watching Rukia buying into his gimmick and doing his laugh, but after that he got old fast. He can't really add anything but comic relief at this point and that's not something Kubo really incorporates anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

hagie posted:

I feel the same way with Chad, idk why everyone seems to want him to get all this screen time or whatever, he's not had any cool moments the entire story I think

• Locked thread