Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

Haha what please tell me those dotted white lines aren't actually the city boundaries because if so, God dammit, they better be wall to wall

That's just the initial city border. You can expand it later on in the game.

Don't know why they decided to go that route, other than "well, SimCity did it so we'll do it better" which seems to be their driving motivation for every feature in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Communities spring up at the edge of dead end highways for no apparent reason?

xzzy posted:

That's just the initial city border. You can expand it later on in the game.

Don't know why they decided to go that route, other than "well, SimCity did it so we'll do it better" which seems to be their driving motivation for every feature in the game.

Any vids or pics to show what a 'full sized' community might look like?

Some of the design decisions are just bizarre. 'Doing SimCity 2013 right' sounds like a terrible developer ethos, because some of the issues with SC2013 were so fundamental that there was no way of polishing that turd enough to hide the fact it was a turd.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 11, 2015

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Reason posted:

He actually mentions in the video you can expand it. Can you build overpasses/things over the pre-built highways though? Because that would be pretty limiting. I love how the cars park on the side of the road if you don't have parking and also how the LPer complains about it because thats such a cool simulatedy thing to add.

I believe so yes since the expanded zone he opens up includes the highway, so I would imagine it allows some sort of editing to go on for that highway. Unlike SimCity, it's not some sort of external static piece that can't be touched.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

Any vids or pics to show what a 'full sized' community might look like?

All I've seen is the launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqQ0fNy0KZU

Which could be bullshots, but what they do show makes it appear that cities can be substantially larger than the initial plot.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Some guy on Reddit posted how the starting tile fits in with the max size:

e: 9 of those is the max apparently

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Well that gives me hope the mod community will develop maps with essentially wall to wall regions unless there's a hardcoded restriction. As long as that's the case I'll be happy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And unless things have changed they said it should be fairly moddable to increase the number of max tiles. But I've heard conflicting info. Some programmers were saying just tweek and ini file or mod some value, but the CEO was all "No we won't make it easy because what if someone makes it too high and their performance suffers and it hurts our brand image" or what ever bullshit.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

WMain00 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmrvmGSwPnQ

Some very new LP footage of the game.

This Sips guy is pretty clever.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Poizen Jam posted:

Well that gives me hope the mod community will develop maps with essentially wall to wall regions unless there's a hardcoded restriction. As long as that's the case I'll be happy.

Yeah. That and the areas are far larger than whatever SimCity had.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, this sips guy is so bad at the game. Why does every hands-on video show someone so bad at the game? Even when the devs play they're just quickly and thoughtlessly slapping things down to show off basic features but absolutely no one actually tries to make a decent looking/functioning city. Sorry a loving decent fuckin' nice uhhh, like a nice loving looking gently caress city.

I've yet to see a single city posted that didn't look like some rushed slap dash ugly city. Just big chunks of zones and buildings connected by highways with tons of weird patches of unused space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because they gave this Sips person a copy of the game solely because of his youtube subscriber count. It's easy marketing straight to his 1.7 million viewers who are probably all gamers.

Probably not free though, the big youtubers charge money for that stuff these days.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
As long as it is deeper than my grandpa's chess, I'll be happy.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah, his city building was awful... Whoops I got on this one-way road that only feeds an interstate with no way back to the city.

I will likely burn my money by preordering. I learn nothing and don't have patience.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xzzy posted:

Because they gave this Sips person a copy of the game solely because of his youtube subscriber count. It's easy marketing straight to his 1.7 million viewers who are probably all gamers.

Probably not free though, the big youtubers charge money for that stuff these days.

Nothing makes me feel more old and angry than this whole crop of "youtubers" who some how make tons of money on the internet by having the absolute worst personalities, fake voices, or ridiculous gimmicks imaginable which some how translates into millions of views.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baronjutter posted:

Nothing makes me feel more old and angry than this whole crop of "youtubers" who some how make tons of money on the internet by having the absolute worst personalities, fake voices, or ridiculous gimmicks imaginable which some how translates into millions of views.

That sounds a lot like most popular TV shows, though?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, it's a new world. Modern kids devour that poo poo.. if you do minecraft videos and get any kind of a following you are gonna make bank.

It's batshit crazy to me, but I'm an old fart now.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

ModestMuse posted:

I will likely burn my money by preordering. I learn nothing and don't have patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1NupxasQWs

Yeah, lump me on board hating most YouTube personalities. How fifty million people like "RRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE!!!!!!!" I'll never understand.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I mean, his video got me to check for a thread here and got me interested in the game, so there's that.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oh heh, the cars were parked, not stuck up in traffic? That's pretty cool! He also mentioned you can build sound walls to reduce traffic noise. Windmills make a lot of noise too and no one wants them at their backyards.

You can seemingly expand the city with 1x1km square blocks to every direction. Hopefully you can build over the highways and make seamless cities. All in all the video looked very promising. If the game works, people just need to mod some more assets in

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

If the game works, people just need to mod some more assets in

No poo poo. His first little neighborhood had maybe three different houses total.

The simple art style means it should be relatively easy to crank new designs out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I know some people do g2a and stuff, but greenmangaming.com has a 20% off coupon for this game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

WMain00 posted:

I believe so yes since the expanded zone he opens up includes the highway, so I would imagine it allows some sort of editing to go on for that highway. Unlike SimCity, it's not some sort of external static piece that can't be touched.

Yeah, a dev video explained that you can indeed do whatever you want with the pre-built highways once you claim the land they're built in. Demolish them, replace them, like any other road.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems weird there's even a huge highway like that going through the wilderness. There's barely any traffic on it. I sort of wish you started with just a little rural road (unless you were on a busy route) and you'd then upgrade it as needed.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Baronjutter posted:

It seems weird there's even a huge highway like that going through the wilderness. There's barely any traffic on it. I sort of wish you started with just a little rural road (unless you were on a busy route) and you'd then upgrade it as needed.

Think of it as starting in the "modern" era, where you already have huge highways going between huge cities, and you're starting by one of those, instead of having a bunch of settlers deciding to stop by a small unused road in the middle of a forest.

-edit-
Also, Sips is a magnificent bastard and if his city didn't look like a turd I would have been disappointed. Long may live Mayor Sips.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 11, 2015

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah it's probably more appropriate to think of it as building Milton Keynes next to the M1, rather than starting out with Tipplebottom Hamletsquire on the brook crossing a 2 day horse ride out from Pootingham.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ihmemies posted:

You can seemingly expand the city with 1x1km square blocks to every direction. Hopefully you can build over the highways and make seamless cities. All in all the video looked very promising. If the game works, people just need to mod some more assets in

The squares are 2km by 2km as far as I know, and yeah: If you buy the plots with highways in them you can bulldoze them or build over/under them as you like. I have never tried with the rail links, but I assume they are the same.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

The squares are 2km by 2km as far as I know, and yeah: If you buy the plots with highways in them you can bulldoze them or build over/under them as you like. I have never tried with the rail links, but I assume they are the same.

I assumed the total new area available in the video was 2x2km .. which would mean each of the four available areas were 1x1km. Of course I'm probably making this way too difficult.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ihmemies posted:

I assumed the total new area available in the video was 2x2km .. which would mean each of the four available areas were 1x1km. Of course I'm probably making this way too difficult.

I can't watch the video but are the "expansions" regions like in SC4 (separate cities) or are you expanding one city?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Chaotic Flame posted:

I can't watch the video but are the "expansions" regions like in SC4 (separate cities) or are you expanding one city?

You expand your city. Basically buying plot of lands. It's a huge troll to sc13 in how it looks and I love it. I just hope the foundation of the game is solid enough.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Yeah it's probably more appropriate to think of it as building Milton Keynes next to the M1, rather than starting out with Tipplebottom Hamletsquire on the brook crossing a 2 day horse ride out from Pootingham.

Paradox, I expect the next DLC to extend the timeline backwards to 1821 and I demand a converter so I can play as my dutch colonial state's New Amsterdam, later known as "The Big Tulip".

Please also add in a patch the "Sunset Invasion" Sushi Bar.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ihmemies posted:

I haven't measured them or anything, but on the unlocks tab each level says 2*2 - it doesn't go up in any other units so I am fairly sure each plot is another 2*2 square.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope there's a way to have all road types and map tiles unlocked at the start.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

Paradox, I expect the next DLC to extend the timeline backwards to 1821 and I demand a converter so I can play as my dutch colonial state's New Amsterdam, later known as "The Big Tulip".

Please also add in a patch the "Sunset Invasion" Sushi Bar.
If I could have a city builder set somewhere, anywhere between 1800 and 1950, I would totally start a Charlemagne campaign in CK2, play it all the way to the SC start date, and then just start alternating between the GSGs and the city-builder. Hell, I'd LP that.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For the authentic Paradox Interactive experience, I demand a roleplaying component to Cities: Skylines. I can see it now!

"Your brother Rob Ford has been caught with unsavory types committing illegal acts. This will surely impact your popularity in the polls, and an election is fast approaching! What will you do?

A.) Urge him to go to rehab with your full support
B.) Publicly disavow knowledge of his wrong doings
C.) COVER UP! COVER UP!
D.) An 'accident' occurs rendering your brother indisposed
E.) All of the above"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I liked the SC5s art style and I'm very happy this game uses it!
Going for a realistic approach just makes the game look bland and grey messy like CiM2.

Still not preordering.

Also did the art direction change at some point? Because originally it was way more grey.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All I want from a modern city maker is someone to tell me I can't cut back on funding, or I'll regret it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Vahakyla posted:

I liked the SC5s art style and I'm very happy this game uses it!
Going for a realistic approach just makes the game look bland and grey messy like CiM2.

Still not preordering.

Also did the art direction change at some point? Because originally it was way more grey.

I think the early stuff used assets from CiM2?

$30 seems like a fair price for this game, but I don't see the need to preorder. The bits of DLC included are kind of dumb and should have just been in the game already. In any case, they will probably go on a discount sale when the game does next winter.

I'll probably wait a few days to get the game, but I am definitely leaning to toward buy since its already half the price of a normal game.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The game has recovered from 'blech, SC2013 redux' to a definite buy for me in the recent trailers. But I'm not keen on pre-ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm glad Sips got to take a look at this :3:

This looks really good! My excitement levels are rising, I'm still going to wait for it to come out before picking it up but the features shown in that video look real promising. The expanding city borders are pretty great, and being able to set up different districts is a neat idea that I can't wait to mess around with.

• Locked thread