Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Humungous titles use ScummVM and as such also include the source code. So throw that on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

The Kins posted:

The Humungous titles use ScummVM and as such also include the source code. So throw that on the list.

I could've sworn SS2 uses the NewDark engine too, but I'm not sure.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I don't think Atari's going to give up Blood until they're bankrupt, and as long as they keep pumping out shovelware arcade game collections I don't think that's going to happen.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Commander Keenan posted:

Speaking of Blood, did Tecman ever update his One Unit Whole Blood launcher? That thing was great a few years ago but deserves an update with new maps and DOSBox builds.

Nah, I tried rebuilding it a couple of times in C# but I'm just not skilled enough in programming, plus I don't have as much time as I used to. That thing was made in Multimedia Builder and the more I added to it, the more sluggish it became. Not to mention those loving plugins I had to use that triggered AVs a while back - not even sure if they still do, I haven't used the thing in a while now.

Really, it would have to be re-written with some design changes - instead of the mods being hardcoded I was looking into a way to make the software read files which would define a mod, its location and its launch options, so modmakers could add thei own mods to it themselves.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I don't think Atari's going to give up Blood until they're bankrupt, and as long as they keep pumping out shovelware arcade game collections I don't think that's going to happen.

They really are kinda assholes about it. It's completely within their rights to be that way, sure, but still.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kick from Night Dive confirmed they're working on Powerslave/Exhumed and that their re-release would include the Saturn version as part of the package.

I believe this has already been posted in the thread, but this retrospective on Powerslave and the company that made the game (Lobotomy Software) is definitely worth the watch, especially now that it's being re-released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMUUrFtwHDY

I watched it a couple of weeks ago, so I'm pretty excited to be able to play the Saturn version on PC. :dance:

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Jblade posted:

As a fellower Builder (although for Duke and not Blood) Deathwish is a genuine inspiration to me, the amount of work and detail you poured into each level was fantastic and makes me feel slightly ashamed for only managing that with a handful of levels (well I've released TCs full of pretty lovely levels, but at least nowadays it's quantity over quality for me) I'm really eager to check out this improved version!

MONKET posted:

Followed the Twitter! I think it's just amazing how you can work through the limitations of DOS without any new editors or anything and create something entirely new and refreshing while still sticking to the roots. Adding support for speedrunning sounds great too and would add a lot of replayability to the maps. I'm totally psyched for the new version to come out and can't wait to see what other goodies you've added and what other secret levels you might have in store.

Thanks! A few of the add ons (like Bloody Pulp Fiction) introduced new textures and had installers, but people were always complaining about it so I just did a drag and drop method to get DW running using whatever already came with Blood/Plasma Pak. Cryptic Passage added some new art with an installer without any issue, but that was the exception. CP is a really good set of levels if you haven't played them yet, even though they spent about 45 seconds coming up with the plot.

I played through the original Blood levels many, many times to try and figure out what made them work/fail before I got started, and also to make sure I wasn't retreading too much ground (so if I was going to have a castle map, it should either be radically different from Blood's castle maps or don't bother). I think when a lot of creators want to make a map that lives up to the original Blood content, they're trying too hard to mimic things they saw in the base game like the level themes instead of the real reasons levels were enjoyable. I was actually making maps for Duke3D before Blood was released and I kinda missed that, which is one of the reasons I have some of the sci-fi stuff peppered in. If I stuck with Duke I'd probably have a lot more fans :)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

CP is a really good set of levels if you haven't played them yet, even though they spent about 45 seconds coming up with the plot.
Yeah it's a good little pack, it's too bad Blood didn't really support much in the way of modification but it was definitely one of Sunstorm's best packs.

quote:

I was actually making maps for Duke3D before Blood was released and I kinda missed that, which is one of the reasons I have some of the sci-fi stuff peppered in. If I stuck with Duke I'd probably have a lot more fans
Do you remember what they're called? I've probably played them at some point. I've been mapping and making mods for Duke for about 14 years and nobody knows my name so I wouldn't regret sticking with Blood if I were you :v: I would say that for a game with no real modding support you achieved a crazy amount of stuff and features.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Going Down was cyriak's map pack, wasn't it?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's the limitation in reverse-engineering Blood based on the Duke3D source code? I'm wondering given how well the original Strife reverse engineering project worked out.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Going Down was cyriak's map pack, wasn't it?

Yes.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

What's the limitation in reverse-engineering Blood based on the Duke3D source code? I'm wondering given how well the original Strife reverse engineering project worked out.

Strife is Doom with a bunch of poo poo bolted on/hacked in. Blood may share the 3D engine of Duke3D, but all the game code is completely different.

It's possible to reverse engineer and there is actually people doing so, but it's a far bigger effort that it was with Strife since it's essentially a game re-creation.

EDIT: I should probably explain that a bit better. Strife is Doom in that even the gameplay elements like enemy AI, physics, level scripting such as linedefs are directly derived from Doom. It's an extension of the game itself.

Blood has very little in common with Duke3D except for the core rendering engine and a few other small things. The map format is different, the way it stores assets is different, physics, AI, scripting are all implemented in a different way. This is because Monolith never actually had access to Build's source code, instead the only got a precompiled lump that they hooked into with their own game code.

EDIT 2: I've read leaked Monolith developer comments from that time, they're hilarious. They really hated Build :v:

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 13, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kick from Night Dive confirmed they're working on Powerslave/Exhumed and that their re-release would include the Saturn version as part of the package.

I wasn't expecting it to be a commercial re-release! I hope that GZDoom remake of the PC version continues alongside it, too. I'd love to be able to play both upgraded to modern spec. Makes it all the more interesting that they're completely different games sharing art assets and nothing else.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Jblade posted:

Do you remember what they're called? I've probably played them at some point. I've been mapping and making mods for Duke for about 14 years and nobody knows my name so I wouldn't regret sticking with Blood if I were you :v: I would say that for a game with no real modding support you achieved a crazy amount of stuff and features.

No, but I was terrible back then, anyway. Lack of competition is definitely a perk to making content for a small community.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I just played through the first episode of UV Valiant, and I think it's pretty well balanced so far. I'm also playing with saves/no pistol start, but even so, but it doesn't seem like it's made too much a difference, aside from the city map. Maybe I'm about to get my rear end handed to me in the second episode, I guess we'll see. The only map I think I died more than three or four times was Mancubian Candidate.

Best levels are definitely the smaller ones that develop as you fight, e.g. No Rush, Tiers of Pain, Aggrovator. I really like the new imps as well. It messed with my "muscle memory" (as Prenton put it) a bit, but it really helps to make them more of a threat, somewhere in between where they were before and hitscan. The arachnotron post-death enemies are also pretty neat. Pretty threatening, but easy to take care of.

Really looking forward to the rest of it, although the suicide enemies sound annoying.

Also the new pistol is boss af

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Segmentation Fault posted:

"Atari" (former infrogrames) went bankrupt in mid-2013 and finally came out of it mid-2014, so no.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Atari" (former infrogrames) went bankrupt in mid-2013 and finally came out of it mid-2014, so no.

With like 10 people working for them. I really don't expect Atari to survive much longer.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

SwissCM posted:

EDIT 2: I've read leaked Monolith developer comments from that time, they're hilarious. They really hated Build :v:

Have you got a link to this? I'd like to have a read.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I guess that confirms it's the Saturn version of Powerslave shown off in Kaiser's screens, then, not the PS1 one.

Either way, that Night Dive is pursuing a rerelease of the console version pleases me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FuriousGrey posted:

No, but I was terrible back then, anyway. Lack of competition is definitely a perk to making content for a small community.

That's probably why I still do stuff for Marathon.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Zlocista posted:

The only map I think I died more than three or four times was Mancubian Candidate.

I've got distracted from Valiant (a combination of Infinifactory and it being too keen on narrow-ledge parts that are too reminiscent of The Chasm for my liking), but Mancubian Candidate really clever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mancubian Candidate just seems mean, dropping you into a dark room with a cyberdemon, lets add some spectres too just to really gently caress with you. Haven't finished it yet. Now I did. Taking it off Hurt Me Plenty would be easier but feels like woosing out.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 14, 2015

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is on the Humble Bundle at the moment. I had forgotten that with fully-powered Force Run, you can kill yourself by sprinting into the walls.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Mancubian Candidate just seems mean, dropping you into a dark room with a cyberdemon, lets add some spectres too just to really gently caress with you. Haven't finished it yet. Now I did. Taking it off Hurt Me Plenty would be easier but feels like woosing out.

He did give lots of cover and the blue armour plus plasma at the top makes it pretty trivial with mouse controls. I can see it being a tad difficult with only keyboard. Also lots of health down there at least 8 med packs plus some minor ones. I was more worried it was going to be all the Archie's

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm a couple maps into Episode 2 of Valiant, and the difficulty definitely is bumped up a notch. I felt like the concept of Fourteen Angrier Archviles could've been realized a bit better, but for whatever reason the author also chose that map to debut a new enemy, so there's a lot going on there.

I feel both new enemies I've seen so far are interesting concepts, but their ability to deal a lot of damage very quickly is somewhat frustrating. I do like that they seem very prone to infighting, which is a sorely underappreciated feature of Doom that is tragically absent in most other FPSes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is on the Humble Bundle at the moment. I had forgotten that with fully-powered Force Run, you can kill yourself by sprinting into the walls.

I miss this kind of game design. Also be careful force jumping in an area with low ceilings.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The thought of Jedi killing accidentally killing themselves with their own force-powers is probably the best thing to come out of Star Wars.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cerepol posted:

He did give lots of cover and the blue armour plus plasma at the top makes it pretty trivial with mouse controls. I can see it being a tad difficult with only keyboard. Also lots of health down there at least 8 med packs plus some minor ones. I was more worried it was going to be all the Archie's

…then again, why on earth would you play it with keyboard-only? Might as well use a gamepad at that point.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

If you're quick on your feet, you can hurry back up the elevator and trivialize the whole fight.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The recent previews of the latest Brutal Doom mod made me load that up again. It's still pretty darn fun.

Animal-Mother posted:

A played a lot of this back in the day. It was definitely a flawed game, but the sense of scale the engine let them impart was mighty impressive. The super-sized environments felt very Star Wars-y.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Valiant RC2 now out, quite a lot of fixes

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1344658
http://www.mediafire.com/download/uhi8uokal5p4d30/ValiantRC2.zip

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it just me or is OBLIGE just a bit obsessed with making you fight a dozen pinkies with a pistol?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/71767-instadoom-screw-nofilter-rc1/

There have been various attempts over the years to "improve" the Doom palette. While these attempts had various goals, and succeeded to various degrees, one question remains: did the authors get paid billions of dollars for recoloring pictures? No? Then their attempts were objectively inferior to one group of people who did!

That's right, now you can play Doom with any one of no less than 37 real Instagram filters, all painstakingly recreated in the Doom engine! Memento Mori with Mayfair! Requiem with Rise! Icarus with Inkwell! Alien Vendetta with Aden or Valencia!

BEHOLD THE FIDELITY! CAN YOU TELL INSTAGRAM VALENCIA FROM INSTADOOM VALENCIA???

In some cases, InstaDoom even IMPROVES on the filters! Here is "1977" applied to a screenshot. The middle is the real Instagram filter! It looks like hot garbage! The right is InstaDoom, where it is at least usable!

And that's not all! Download now and also receive:

You can only take so many pictures of your food slaughtering demons! You want to show the world how hott you are while you do it, and now you can! Use the latest in stick technology to get more of yourself in the shot! It's American President Approved!

Show how artistic you are while visiting far-off places!

Use the rule of thirds to compose your slaughter!

Let the world know what you think of something crazy you just saw!

All this and more!! Download now!!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Haha, nice work!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Linguica posted:

impse button is non-functional, 0/10

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The greatest doom mod of all time.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

now do a snapchat one where you can only play 10 or less seconds of a .wad

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

my bony fealty posted:

now do a snapchat one where you can only play 10 or less seconds of a .wad

Randomly place the player in some sector and record a ten second demo?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Linguica posted:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/71767-instadoom-screw-nofilter-rc1/

There have been various attempts over the years to "improve" the Doom palette. While these attempts had various goals, and succeeded to various degrees, one question remains: did the authors get paid billions of dollars for recoloring pictures? No? Then their attempts were objectively inferior to one group of people who did!

That's right, now you can play Doom with any one of no less than 37 real Instagram filters, all painstakingly recreated in the Doom engine! Memento Mori with Mayfair! Requiem with Rise! Icarus with Inkwell! Alien Vendetta with Aden or Valencia!

BEHOLD THE FIDELITY! CAN YOU TELL INSTAGRAM VALENCIA FROM INSTADOOM VALENCIA???

In some cases, InstaDoom even IMPROVES on the filters! Here is "1977" applied to a screenshot. The middle is the real Instagram filter! It looks like hot garbage! The right is InstaDoom, where it is at least usable!

And that's not all! Download now and also receive:

You can only take so many pictures of your food slaughtering demons! You want to show the world how hott you are while you do it, and now you can! Use the latest in stick technology to get more of yourself in the shot! It's American President Approved!

Show how artistic you are while visiting far-off places!

Let the world know what you think of something crazy you just saw!

All this and more!! Download now!!

This is awesome.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Linguica posted:

DOOM Selfies

You made HuffPost!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Linguica posted:

DOOM Selfies

You have single-handedly brought Doomworld to its knees underneath the weight of 9000+ curious bystanders. What's next for you?

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 15, 2015