Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress this weather. If it's going to be this goddamned cold it should snow or just gently caress the gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

opengl128 posted:

Do people actually fall for this poo poo?

I bought a paper shredder yesterday so I could clear out my big box o' identity theft ( a cardboard box full of paystubs / credit card offers / bills / etc. that I'd been gathering for four or five years out of sheer laziness ) and while sifting through I found that at one point, I was getting something like that at least once a month. "My sales manager NEEDS one of these high-demand cars ( insert list of late-00s Ford sedans ) and he's gonna pay you top dollar for it. Condition doesn't matter, mileage doesn't matter, we might even be a Kia dealership and it still doesn't matter!". Bonus points for 'confidential e-mail' layout or faux-handwritten Post-it notes.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Climate change has been really bad for our snowpack/water supply and really good for my mood this year. Miata and bike rides, wheeeee.

Edit: here's what else the wife and I saw in the park. I would like to be a member of this club, please (they were both MT).

blk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 15, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I got a bunch of miles in this week. Thinking about trying to get out on the mountain bike today which is unheard of this time of year.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
http://slickdeals.net/f/7665198-sears-craftsman-2-1-4-ton-jack-stands-2-pack-14-99-free-store-pickup

Anybody know if these are any good?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Memento posted:

How do you have bad tracks when it's just roundy-roundy the whole time? Aren't they all functionally the same?

Haha surprisingly it's a bit more complicated than just going in circles, go figure.

[e] A little research if you're really interested would answer your questions, I really don't want to get into the intricacies of NASCAR racing and turning left.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 15, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I went to see a new build today, 3 houses build on a little scrag of land, garage & 3br each, decent gardens & drive space, room sizes etc. We liked it more than any other house we've seen, even though it's at the top of our price range.

And it's decently built, right angles & straight lines everywhere :psyduck: Probably helps the builder is local. He seemed nice.

Gotta ring the bank tomorrow then reserve the one we want, if we get in early we have a little say on the kitchen & bathroom layout. I'm quite excited, I just need to figure out how to guarantee everything he said would be done will be.

We can justify it being 」15k more than any other house we've seen as it doesn't need redecoration, a new kitchen, new windows, rewiring etc

I'm so looking forward to moving out of this grim bunker, I'll have to meet up with the Stoke goons when we get in. Could be 4-6 months.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

NitroSpazzz posted:

The forecast for tomorrow...

If this happens this area is hosed and the back roads (where I live) won't be clear until it melts off. I have the 320i on slicks and the 928 on very old summer tires, I really want to go play but I know there is no way in hell I would be able to get back up the hill to my house.

How the poo poo do you get a foot of ice pellets? That sounds sketchy as hell.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Just got out a huge poo poo show in D&D ill prolly be probated soon. Why did I think I could have an interesting debate there?
Good to be back with level headed people talking about simple things.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T1g4h posted:

How the poo poo do you get a foot of ice pellets? That sounds sketchy as hell.

We get snow occasionally but it's usually a joke, instead we get lovely ice storms. They pre-treat the roads but that only helps with the first bit. Essentially everything closes and no one goes anywhere. Even if we didn't have elevation and sketchy roads there isn't poo poo you can do with that much ice. I live at the top of the neighborhood ~500ft over the road. Once it starts I'm not going anywhere.

They've changed the amount a dozen times over the past few hours so who knows what we'll actually get. I've got tomorrow off but with my location if we get as much as they're saying I doubt I'll make it in Tuesday. Should be fun...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

We get snow occasionally but it's usually a joke, instead we get lovely ice storms. They pre-treat the roads but that only helps with the first bit. Essentially everything closes and no one goes anywhere. Even if we didn't have elevation and sketchy roads there isn't poo poo you can do with that much ice. I live at the top of the neighborhood ~500ft over the road. Once it starts I'm not going anywhere.

They've changed the amount a dozen times over the past few hours so who knows what we'll actually get. I've got tomorrow off but with my location if we get as much as they're saying I doubt I'll make it in Tuesday. Should be fun...

Our forecast keeps changing too, this is what i'm currently looking at now:

Luckily I'm doing my online class this week, so even if I get stuck at home i'll be able to make up the hours. But yeah, if we get this much, I'm not going very far.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm curious to hear what you think about Cats, if they're legit or if they're cheesedicks overpricing cars so they can rip off football players and people cashing in their stock options with no sense like Parkplace LTD.

Also thanks for the congrats everyone :). My heart wants to explode due to an overabundance of joy. It's not unlike ITBs or Side Draft Carbs :haw:

He seems like a really legit dude. You can tell he just loving loves cars.

I had his email from when I recommended a buddy to buy a Diablo from him. Years later another friend asked me if I knew of anyone who would bring some exotics by for a charity function. I pinged Roy out of the blue who said "absolutely" and ended up showing up to this charity event with 3 Lamborghinis.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Preoptopus posted:

Just got out a huge poo poo show in D&D ill prolly be probated soon. Why did I think I could have an interesting debate there?
I think I've been put on probation every single time I've visited D&D, so don't feel too bad.

Also, can I have some of that rain?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Preoptopus posted:

D&D is an echo chamber of stupid. And even when the opnions aren't retarded, you still want to punch them in the face.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

triple clutcher posted:

I bought a paper shredder yesterday so I could clear out my big box o' identity theft ( a cardboard box full of paystubs / credit card offers / bills / etc. that I'd been gathering for four or five years out of sheer laziness ) and while sifting through I found that at one point, I was getting something like that at least once a month. "My sales manager NEEDS one of these high-demand cars ( insert list of late-00s Ford sedans ) and he's gonna pay you top dollar for it. Condition doesn't matter, mileage doesn't matter, we might even be a Kia dealership and it still doesn't matter!". Bonus points for 'confidential e-mail' layout or faux-handwritten Post-it notes.

Our dealership just send out a fake check signifying trade-in values addressed to individual customers along with a "handwritten" note from the General Manager that's sent out on paper resembling a sheet of legal pad paper. It definitely brings people in, but they all ask for the General Manager who "wrote and signed" the letter, and then they just get passed off to a sales manager.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
gently caress my life, once more. loving broke up with my girlfriend on Valentine's Day. Not for any reason that I know of, she just wasn't home when I came over yesterday and hasn't answered a single text or phone call. She's logged on to Steam a couple of times, though, so I don't think she's anything but a lovely person. We hadn't been together for more than a few months, but... gently caress, it was finally starting to be a good thing for me, for the first time in my life. gently caress everyone.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

leica posted:

Haha surprisingly it's a bit more complicated than just going in circles, go figure.

[e] A little research if you're really interested would answer your questions, I really don't want to get into the intricacies of NASCAR racing and turning left.

Nahh I was mostly just taking the piss, I know NASCAR is actually incredibly technical. I'd love to go and see a race one day, the speeds and proximity to the action sound like they'd make for an amazing experience.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just put the chili in the slow cooker. This is my first time making chili though so here's to hoping that it doesn't suck.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sinestro posted:

gently caress my life, once more. loving broke up with my girlfriend on Valentine's Day. Not for any reason that I know of, she just wasn't home when I came over yesterday and hasn't answered a single text or phone call. She's logged on to Steam a couple of times, though, so I don't think she's anything but a lovely person. We hadn't been together for more than a few months, but... gently caress, it was finally starting to be a good thing for me, for the first time in my life. gently caress everyone.
Is she ignoring you or did she explicitly break up with you?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I'm so looking forward to moving out of this grim bunker, I'll have to meet up with the Stoke goons when we get in. Could be 4-6 months.

Is there someone else in Stoke too?

Good news on the house front! Hope you get it sorted! I'll see you when you get here! Assume the one you have found is where you were looking before?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mariooncrack posted:

Just put the chili in the slow cooker. This is my first time making chili though so here's to hoping that it doesn't suck.

This is a chili recipe originally posted to the Elitist Jerks forums by a poster named Slake, who put it into the raiding recipes thread for stuff to make well in advance that you can just nuke and consume. It's without a doubt the best chili I've ever eaten. The recipe calls for it to go into a large pot on the stovetop but it also works really well in a slow cooker. We make rice or cornbread to go with it, and just use jalapenos, mostly because good habaneros are impossible to get here.

http://paste.mdssh.com/sicakojisu.vhdl

Slow cookers are the best loving thing ever. I make all sorts of things in mine, stews and casseroles and chili of course, but also lasagna and pot roast and things like puddings and stewed fruit. Also, a great mulled wine recipe in the winter.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

, just going to cut a double gang sized hole in the ceiling of my bedroom closet for a 12 hole keystone plate (also got a mounting bracket for said plate), find a cheap gigabit switch, and I ordered a bunch of 2 ft patch cables.

You're going to hate your life trying to jam 12 of those keystones into that tiny plate, especially with the strain of the cat5 you've punched down into each one of them. I wired up a house a couple years ago with one of these and it was annoying enough shoving all those keystones into it side by side. Additionally some of those models of keystones don't even fit next to each other horizontally. I can't remember if it's the punchdown type you bought or the other kind. Ended up doing about a half of them with keystone couplers and terminating the run with RJ-45s. Honestly, if I were doing this again in the future in a residence, I'd do them all like that. It might not be the best practice but it makes dealing with all the cords a lot easier, and gently caress punching down on those keystone jacks that don't have a level surface on the bottom so they won't lay flat on a table.

Also, have you looked at the windows media center extender devices? You should be able to centrally locate the dvr drives/WMC server in one place and then have those little stbs at each TV. That was my plan until I gave up and just got u-verse boxes. They are poo poo but they work and I did not want to deal with Comcast & getting a m-cable-card out of them.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

ilkhan posted:

Is she ignoring you or did she explicitly break up with you?

She just disappeared and is ignoring me.

Edit: I mean, it's not going that badly. I managed to skip Anger and am just waffling back and forth between Bargaining and Depression for the moment.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 16, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Memento posted:

This is a chili recipe originally posted to the Elitist Jerks forums by a poster named Slake, who put it into the raiding recipes thread for stuff to make well in advance that you can just nuke and consume. It's without a doubt the best chili I've ever eaten. The recipe calls for it to go into a large pot on the stovetop but it also works really well in a slow cooker. We make rice or cornbread to go with it, and just use jalapenos, mostly because good habaneros are impossible to get here.

http://paste.mdssh.com/sicakojisu.vhdl

Slow cookers are the best loving thing ever. I make all sorts of things in mine, stews and casseroles and chili of course, but also lasagna and pot roast and things like puddings and stewed fruit. Also, a great mulled wine recipe in the winter.

I've seen that recipe posted in the chili thread for goons with spoons. It definitely sounds interesting. I'm still kind of new to cooking though so I haven't experimented too much. This is the recipe I tried:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lauras-quick-slow-cooker-turkey-chili/

Based on some comments, I replaced a can of tomato soup (I'm really skeptical about this) with a can of diced tomatoes and added in some corn. We'll see how this goes.

Slow cookers are nice. I haven't used mine too much but I'm hoping to experiment more with it now that I've made room in my kitchen for it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp. The SC400 drove really really nice and looks near-immaculate, but that noise wasn't a wheel bearing. I'm thinking possibly tranny.
And being a complete moron, I bought it anyway. gently caress, I didn't need another project.
brb going to buy a pair of ridiculous pants and a battery terminal

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mariooncrack posted:

I've seen that recipe posted in the chili thread for goons with spoons. It definitely sounds interesting. I'm still kind of new to cooking though so I haven't experimented too much. This is the recipe I tried:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lauras-quick-slow-cooker-turkey-chili/

Based on some comments, I replaced a can of tomato soup (I'm really skeptical about this) with a can of diced tomatoes and added in some corn. We'll see how this goes.

Slow cookers are nice. I haven't used mine too much but I'm hoping to experiment more with it now that I've made room in my kitchen for it.

Nice, we almost never get turkey here to cook with (:australia:) but that recipe looks good. Like, I have never seen ground turkey in a supermarket fridge here, and we only get actual turkeys and turkey breasts around Christmas time.

One thing I use a lot of when a recipe calls for tomato products is passata, it's basically just tinned or bottle tomato puree. Some people don't like having whole or part cooked tomatoes in their food, but having puree'd tomatoes adds the flavour without the texture. Using a teaspoon or two of brown sugar to cut the acidity is a good technique I picked up as well. I don't bother with coating the inside of the pot with oil or cooking spray, and I definitely don't drain the meat after browning it - just throw it all in there.

Good luck with your new culinary toy!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tommychu posted:

Welp. The SC400 drove really really nice and looks near-immaculate, but that noise wasn't a wheel bearing. I'm thinking possibly tranny.
And being a complete moron, I bought it anyway. gently caress, I didn't need another project.
brb going to buy a pair of ridiculous pants and a battery terminal

Ridiculous pants?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Ridiculous pants?

Click and behold.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CharlesM posted:

Ridiculous pants?

e:f,b

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Though I can say it's legit rust-free (I actually looked under it and stuff) so I've got that going for me.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sinestro posted:

She just disappeared and is ignoring me.

Edit: I mean, it's not going that badly. I managed to skip Anger and am just waffling back and forth between Bargaining and Depression for the moment.

Ignoring you for Steam is like the gooniest of goon breakups.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Blood cooking off exhaust headers is an interesting smell.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Memento posted:

Nahh I was mostly just taking the piss, I know NASCAR is actually incredibly technical. I'd love to go and see a race one day, the speeds and proximity to the action sound like they'd make for an amazing experience.

I know a lot of guys here talk poo poo about NASCAR but I know for a fact every one of them would have a blast at Talladega or Daytona. You can't be a gearhead and not like it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp. They accepted our offer on the house. 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2,458 sqft and a big freaking garage attached to the back of the house, hidden from street view.

Two mortgages - at least temporarily
:stare:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, sleet is coming down like crazy outside. So glad I had a few big plastic bags on hand so I could wrap my windshield wipers so they don't freeze to the window this time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tide posted:

Welp. They accepted our offer on the house. 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2,458 sqft and a big freaking garage attached to the back of the house, hidden from street view.

Two mortgages - at least temporarily
:stare:

Congrats on them accepting your offer.

Good luck with the double mortgages.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The mortgage on our current house is right at 650 a month including property taxes and insurance, so it's not a big deal. We are still in our starter house we bought 14 years ago, which is very nearly paid off. Even though the mortgage is only 650, we've paid 1,000 a month since we refi'd in 2006. I am tempted to rent it but it's market ready and I can be aggressive with the pricing if need be. We spend more than 650 a month on stupid poo poo like eating out and impulse buys/weekend getaways.

The down payment and closing costs are going to empty out our savings and my blackjack bankroll.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went down to Indianapolis yesterday morning. We got held up and then the wind caused a loving whiteout on the highway, we were down to 30mph for a long stetch. Then at mile marker 248 on I-69 south we came to a stop. There was a 40+ car accident two miles ahead. We stayed there for half and hour then said gently caress it and took the shoulder until we could turn around and take a stet road to the next south bound road. Added 2+ hours to the trip.

But the con was fun. gently caress driving in Indianapolis forever though. I loving hate round-a-bouts and the fact that nobody knows how to drive through them.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

triple clutcher posted:

The local Chrysler dealer continually sends fake car keys in the mail telling us to come and try to start a car. That and fake scratch-off things that always come up with me "winning".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, my girlfriend just won $1000 off a scratch off ticket. 2015 continues to be a kickass year! :woop:

• Locked thread