Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T1g4h posted:

It's funny when I look back on it, but at the time it was pretty much a sign that I should just end that one. And i'll have you know they were DC's, none of this fancy wingtip nonsense :v:

So now I just imagined Rob dyrdek getting beaten with a skate shoe and it's still great on my mind :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tommychu posted:

I really thought more people did that, the fact that it's out of the ordinary for you is surprising to me.
I mean, it's something you do once for the novelty factor and then never do it again because it results in a terrible pizza at an insane price, but that one time it's hilarious just to see the mass of toppings (I did it with mass quantities of veggies and had bacon on it just to say there was meat there too).
Of course, Vern's pizza is a thing around here (it's all over AB/SK/MB) and that's basically 1-1.5" of lovely cold cuts stacked on a mediocre pub-style crust/sauce with about the amount of cheese you'd see on an ordinary pizza. Heartburn city, population: meat sweats.

It's the most expensive pizza I've ever delivered, personally.

He tipped :20bux: on top of that too, which really blew me away. So he basically paid $63 to not be able to poo poo for a week, and guarantee a heart attack in the near future.

Jet's is actually pretty drat good pizza, IMO one of the best chains - we make our own dough, shred our own cheese, etc. Most of the veggies are cut fresh every day, only a handful are canned.

It'd be one thing if it was just veggies, but this was mostly meat, and we already, IMO, go really heavy on the cheese.

I'm almost positive that pizza didn't cook all the way through, even though it went through the oven twice. We have 3 ovens, each with 2 conveyors running at different speeds; it ran on the slowest conveyor. He requested triple sauce; that alone guarantees a soggy mess. I probably should have taken him a knife and fork :v:

drat thing weighed about 5 pounds.

Ferremit posted:

Man I got lucky... I was able to install all my network cables behind the walls BEFORE the drywall went up, so my new house is overkill wired- Basically 2x ports in every bedroom, 6x in the office, 4 behind the TV, one out in the shed and 2 for the phone. Cos we have FTTP our phone service is basically VOIP so I can run the voip handset to any room in the house now just by changing stuff out on the patch panel!

We have FTTH, so our phone service is essentially VoIP as well - but the fiber was added about 6 years after the house was built. Previously it was just copper coming in to one spot on an outside wall, then going to the alarm system (so it can interrupt phone calls if it gets triggered), then makes a loop to all the other phone jacks. There's not a patch panel of any kind anywhere in the house. I'm giving some serious thought to some kind of panel for all of the coax in the attic, it seriously looks like an octopus family exploded around all the splitters. Plus I think it'd be a good idea to (lightly) staple some of the coax down, it's not attached to anything anywhere and just runs off into the distance.

I'm doing 2 ports in each bedroom (one of them is used as an office, but there's only 1 PC in there, plus a wifi printer), plus 2 behind the main TV. Whenever the main TV gets swapped out for a flat screen, the TV will get wall mounted above the fireplace as well (gas fireplace, not an actual wood burner); I was thinking of dropping some cable down that wall as well just for future planning. If we go that route, I'd probably get an Intel NUC or similar super small PC and hide it behind the TV. There's also a closet nearby, but getting to it from the attic is a complete bitch. I have ~300 metres of ethernet cable on the way, so I should have plenty. Worst case, if we wind up needing more ports in a room, a consumer-grade 5 port gigabit switch is all of :20bux:.

I'd love to be able to get access to all the wiring in the walls - especially the burglar alarm wiring, it was wired up by the builders in a completely chucklefuck manner (every window in the house on 1 zone, 1 zone dedicated to one attic hatch, 1 dedicated to 1 door, 1 dedicated to the rest of the exterior doors, and the other attic hatch isn't protected at all?). There's at least a few dead door/window sensors, and they're all embedded in the frame. Most of them have been fairly easy to get out when they go bad, but one of them just completely disintegrated and fell into the window frame... which made for about an hour of hilarity as I tried to fish the wiring back out with all sorts of crap (I think I finally got it out with a bent clothes hanger). There's a ton of alarm wiring in the attic that's just bunched up and not connected to anything too - I have no idea what it's connected to, if anything (some of it is red, so I assume they'd planned to add smoke alarms to the alarm system, and decided against it - it doesn't appear in the alarm panel itself :iiam: )

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 16, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Do you guys have a good resource on how to wire up a house like what you're talking about?

I would love to run Ethernet to every room, rerun the coax as it doesn't work for my internet modem, and have it all go to the hall closet for routing and a seedbox/NAS.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't read every word because I can't keep up with the forums lately but I think if I were wiring up a place I'd use cat 6 or higher. Of course they are stiff as hell and maybe that makes it a lot harder to run. I've only done a single story install.

Also Interstellar is my favorite movie of all time and I'm bummed I can't still see it in IMAX 70mm :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looked at the Fry's ads.

2300 lumens? :what:

I figured a 2800 mAh battery for :10bux: couldn't be bad for when I need to top off my phone. I think they were off by at least 2 decimal points on the lumens though.

It claimed to be fully charged when I got it (going by the status LEDs anyway); it got my phone up to 60% from 5% before crapping out, but I'm sure it's been on a shelf for awhile. It's been charging for about 4 hours from a 2 amp charger, and still isn't fully charged. :stare:

It doesn't physically look big enough to even hold a 1400 mAh battery, much less 2800.

mafoose posted:

Do you guys have a good resource on how to wire up a house like what you're talking about?

I would love to run Ethernet to every room, rerun the coax as it doesn't work for my internet modem, and have it all go to the hall closet for routing and a seedbox/NAS.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-wire-your-house-with-cat5-or-cat6-ethernet-cable-480020760

CharlesM posted:

I haven't read every word because I can't keep up with the forums lately but I think if I were wiring up a place I'd use cat 6 or higher. Of course they are stiff as hell and maybe that makes it a lot harder to run. I've only done a single story install.

I couldn't justify the extra cost of cat6 cable + keystones - the lengths I'm dealing with should still handle gigabit over cat5e just fine.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 16, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Finally put in an insurance claim for my phone last week. No email confirmation since then, so I go to the insurance site, "cannot send to PO box". My mom's the account holder (family plan) and she has the bill mailed to a PO box instead of the house for some loving reason.

Fine, no big deal, I let her know she should call them tomorrow and see how to have it sent here. "Ok well they'll probably send something in the mail in a few days."

Like... a notification? Like the one that pops up right now on the website when you check the claim status?

For someone so smart (yeah I know I rant about her, she still raised me and my sisters alone financially; that's personality differences, not an outright judgement,) she can be pretty :downs: from time to time.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Someone just doored my car. Not a little ding, but hammered their door into it so hard it stoved in my door near the rear edge/handle where it's thickest, and caused the internal door handle to break and come loose.
WTF? How is that possible and why if I've never done them wrong and it's a 11y/o BA ute that's already a bit of a POS?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fo3 posted:

Someone just doored my car. Not a little ding, but hammered their door into it so hard it stoved in my door near the rear edge/handle where it's thickest, and caused the internal door handle to break and come loose.
WTF? How is that possible and why if I've never done them wrong and it's a 11y/o BA ute that's already a bit of a POS?

Mate, chances are the oval office didn't even notice what they did. Buncha savages in this town.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Wind caught their door as they were getting out and slammed it against yours maybe?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nope, pretty average normal width car bays, not much room. To do as much damage as they did you'd have to sit in your drivers seat sideways and kick your own passenger door open. It was really slammed into and not windy or enough room for a door to gain momentum on it's own.
It's bad enough it would stuff the edge of their own door up. I don't get it being accidental, and still makes no sense as deliberate (why wouldn't you just key my car or kick it or something and not gently caress up your own door? I haven't pissed anyone off and hardly drive the ute the past 2 years.)
It wasn't even licenced from nov to jan and it stayed in the driveway.

Kind of glad I didn't borrow my partners commodore, because it would have been parked in the same place and maybe the same thing happened.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 16, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Thanks for the link STR!

It's probably too late to do it this year, as we're already in the 80s, which makes the crawl space an oven!

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Welp, I'm not going anywhere for the next few days. Tried running to the gas station for last minute munchies before it got too bad out, and thanks to the snow, the g35 didn't even make it out of the driveway. I know you guys in the north get tons of snow, but for us in Kentucky, this sudden drop is probably gonna be close to catastrophic. There's only about three inches down so far but we're expecting between 8-12 by this time tomorrow.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

We're expecting 10 to 14 inches here in south western Virginia. Already been "suggested" by supervisors to bring extra clothes and food to work. It's supposed to start around 10AM this morning, so I'm gonna race home and give my wife the Jeep for her to drive to work. Heavy stuff is supposed to happen this afternoon into tonight, so I expect to be told to either stay home because the 3 to 11 shift are snowed in, or to come in early so they can shove off..then I'll be the one stuck here. Not because I can't get out but because they can't get anyone to come in..so wanna pull a Hudson and ask to get out of this chickenshit outfit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

I couldn't justify the extra cost of cat6 cable + keystones - the lengths I'm dealing with should still handle gigabit over cat5e just fine.

I want 10Gig when it's ready at the consumer level :P

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tide posted:

Welp. They accepted our offer on the house. 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2,458 sqft and a big freaking garage attached to the back of the house, hidden from street view.

Two mortgages - at least temporarily
:stare:
:hfive: Nice, my next house needs to have a much bigger garage

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo, sleet is coming down like crazy outside. So glad I had a few big plastic bags on hand so I could wrap my windshield wipers so they don't freeze to the window this time.

Devyl posted:

Welp, I'm not going anywhere for the next few days. Tried running to the gas station for last minute munchies before it got too bad out, and thanks to the snow, the g35 didn't even make it out of the driveway. I know you guys in the north get tons of snow, but for us in Kentucky, this sudden drop is probably gonna be close to catastrophic. There's only about three inches down so far but we're expecting between 8-12 by this time tomorrow.
Started here at 6am on the dot. Few hours earlier than expected but so far it's off and on so they might be able to keep ahead of it. I'm going to go put my wipers up because chipping them out sucks.

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I checked Truecar and Toyota too. I hope 23k was after tax and license, but that's still a bullshit price for a Corolla. I paid 24.1 out the door for my Accord. It's MT, but still, you can get more car for that kind of money. I'm inclined to not make her feel bad and just let her be happy with her new car.
I would highly recommend going this route. Sure she might have been able to save a couple grand but is it worth making her feel stupid or like poo poo? Not likely.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just finished watching Interstellar.
I missed seeing this in theaters, need to see if it's available to rent or just go :filez:

Sinestro posted:

Important life lesson learned: there is no "good crazy".
Everyone needs to learn this. Some people it takes multiple failures before they figure it out.

Don't think my brother has today off and he's usually awake by now at least... On one hand he's a loving adult and needs to learn to set an alarm clock, on the other if he gets fired there is no way in hell I'm getting paid back. Damnit
-edit:nope he's just going to be a lazy gently caress - "I'm not going in with the roads as bad as they are" The roads are clear.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 16, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Bossman has me mocking up and labeling blue prints and patch panel layouts for the 2nd phase of this huge project we are starting soon at the shop today. Nice change of pace -- I can actually sit and drink coffee for once. Looks like it's gonna be about 5,000 CAT6A cables getting terminated in a couple closets like last time. Should be fun.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there some way to get a search interface like in Windows 2000 or maybe XP?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Made an offer on the new build house, accepted. I'm so stoked, only a single garage but a nice amount of space all around. Top of my budget though, going into maximum budgeting mode asap to see if we can scrape another couple of grand together by the time it's done, every little helps.

And all this networking talk made me realise the builder already ran coax through the house, wonder if it's too late to slip him a reel of cat6 and get it jammed in there too? More likely we'll have a central router and wifi everything, it's not a hardship to me.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

Made an offer on the new build house, accepted. I'm so stoked, only a single garage but a nice amount of space all around. Top of my budget though, going into maximum budgeting mode asap to see if we can scrape another couple of grand together by the time it's done, every little helps.

Whaddup house buying buddy :hfive:

I honestly thought we weren't going to come to agreement with the seller. We offered, they countered, we countered, they countered, then we basically said our last offer is the best we can do. We could have offered more, just not more for that house. It's going to be a bit of a fixer upper, but the main guts are good (7 year old roof, 1 year old dual HVAC).

Tide fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 16, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
STR, that looks like my kind of a pizza.

Also, my vote is for running conduit and pull boxes instead of a specific kind of cable. Especially if the walls are down. I have a run of 1 inch conduit to a 4 11/16 square deep box in every wall of every room, with half inch deep duplex mud rings over them. The second floor ones go up to the attic, the first floor down to the basement. Plus two 2 inch PVC conduit runs from attic to basement. If I need a cable I just pull it in and forget about it - any wall of any room to any wall of any room.

We only standardize on each kind of cable for 5 to 15 years before it is too lossy or low bandwidth for the next ethernet standard. Why lock yourself in?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ok nevermind. This is boring as poo poo.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Looked at the Fry's ads.

2300 lumens? :what:

I figured a 2800 mAh battery for :10bux: couldn't be bad for when I need to top off my phone. I think they were off by at least 2 decimal points on the lumens though.

It claimed to be fully charged when I got it (going by the status LEDs anyway); it got my phone up to 60% from 5% before crapping out, but I'm sure it's been on a shelf for awhile. It's been charging for about 4 hours from a 2 amp charger, and still isn't fully charged. :stare:

It doesn't physically look big enough to even hold a 1400 mAh battery, much less 2800.

If you ever actually want a nicer one, I can't recommend the Anker ones enough. I bought this one back in November:

http://www.amazon.com/16000mAh-Port...s=anker+battery

They make a lot of different sizes and they go on sale frequently. I think you use slickdeals too.They charge all of my things as fast as possible.

Edit:

I think I've already said this but Jet's pizza is delicious.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
We've had a quality escape at work where somebody picked a quarantined part, out of the bag marked "Do Not Use", which was in a box marked " Quarantine: Do Not Use" and it got built into a test part. :negative:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i want to buy this and ruin it so bad, someone help

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Man I need a job with paid holidays. All my roomies are at home chilling right now. I also just noticed it went from -4*F when I woke up at 6AM and 3hrs later... it's -9*F.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

track day bro! posted:

i want to buy this and ruin it so bad, someone help

Check with OPJP on facebook, they can probably get you one of those for half the price. https://www.facebook.com/OPJPN

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

Check with OPJP on facebook, they can probably get you one of those for half the price. https://www.facebook.com/OPJPN

Yeah for that price i'd be looking for a very std r32 gt-r to ruin, tbh I dont think I could leave either cars parked out on the street like the current one.

This one comes pre-ruined! I honestly dont know what I want, i've been looking at s2 elises and e36 m3 saloons also. I'll probably just stick with my current car, I just bought a drat power fc and a bunch of other crap for it recently.

Do you know if opjp can get parts from jap yahoo auctions?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

track day bro! posted:

Yeah for that price i'd be looking for a very std r32 gt-r to ruin, tbh I dont think I could leave either cars parked out on the street like the current one.

This one comes pre-ruined! I honestly dont know what I want, i've been looking at s2 elises and e36 m3 saloons also. I'll probably just stick with my current car, I just bought a drat power fc and a bunch of other crap for it recently.

Do you know if opjp can get parts from jap yahoo auctions?

If you have an item you want from there just send them a message and they'll sort it. Any auctions in Japan, any sales sites... If you're after a particular thing but don't know where to look for it again just ask.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was just looking up a car I had when I was in britland for a few years, and it turns out it they were actually just redone hondas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_600_Series
I think the one I had was a 620i.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pretty sure Knoxville and anywhere else in the area getting this ice poo poo is screwed. We have 1/4" of buildup so far and walking on the driveway is sketchy.

I decided today would be a good day to switch where the 928 and 320i sit in the garage...I am not a smart man. 320i on slicks did surprisingly well as long as I kept a tiny bit of momentum. Drove out, did a donut at the end of the neighborhood and drove back into the garage with minimal time sideways. The 928 is another story, made it out of the garage then spent the rest of the time sliding. Down the sloped driveway crooked, all over the place on the street and took 5 tries just to get onto the driveway. It's sitting outside for now because I don't want to slide the rear off the side of the driveway attempting to get it up the minimal slope. I imagine with snow or studded tires it could be fun but on performance summer tires it's absolutely useless. Anything above slipping the clutch at idle is instant wheel spin.

Sucks because I had stuff I wanted to do on the 928 today but gently caress flushing brakes on a slippery driveway in sleet.

If we get another couple inches of this stuff no one is going anywhere. Turns out my brother deciding to sleep in might have been a good idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I totally bought a sword yesterday.

gently caress yeah Legend of Zelda Master Sword up in this poo poo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Is this what I can expect if I stop drinking?
Or was the purchasing decision fueled by alcohol?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ugh. Does anyone else have an issue with eating fruits in the morning? They are too sweet or something to eat that early because even looking at them makes me nauseous. Anytime around lunch to bedtime is fine though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today is my first Monday off since the semester started, so I told my wife that I'd go to class like a good student then run a few errands for her since the mall is right next to 2nd & Charles and I've been meaning to use my store credit to buy a new Dreamcast since before christmas.

After going to class and being hit by -17ºF windchill, I don't think that I'm going to leave the house again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

Is this what I can expect if I stop drinking?
Or was the purchasing decision fueled by alcohol?

I've been sober for 7 weeks now and buying a sword seemed like the best idea ever.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ugh. Does anyone else have an issue with eating fruits in the morning? They are too sweet or something to eat that early because even looking at them makes me nauseous. Anytime around lunch to bedtime is fine though.

If I eat an apple for breakfast, it seems to sour my stomach. I can handle almost anything else for breakfast (ate a bunch of cold steak this morning), and I often start the day with a 20oz Diet Coke, but an apple will make my belly hurt.

I'm just fine with them in the afternoon, though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I usually can't eat anything at all until I've been up for about 4 hours.

The only exception seems to be cold pizza

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This is me then I plow through like 3 envy apples at 11 PM and I'm wired until 2 AM.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tusen Takk posted:

I usually can't eat anything at all until I've been up for about 4 hours.

The only exception seems to be cold pizza

That's true for me too. I usually don't get hungry until 3PM, but can wait until 7PM for dinner. After 7PM though I start to give no fucks, get less hungry and pour some drinks and don't bother eating until midnight.
But if I have pizza from the night before, I devour that stuff for breakfast. Seems more filling too. If I have it hot for dinner I can eat 4 slices and really want 5-6. If I have it cold for breakfast I find 3 slices very filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

anything sweet like pastries or dairy products and I'll yak it right the gently caress back up. fruits? no problem.

• Locked thread