Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Also awwww yeaaaaaa, Titans. Let's steal one.

We don't quite have the training on how to operate one at all though, unless you're suggesting we subvert the Princeps of one and his crew... And I doubt the Collegia Titanicus would be happy with us if we tried that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

We don't quite have the training on how to operate one at all though, unless you're suggesting we subvert the Princeps of one and his crew... And I doubt the Collegia Titanicus would be happy with us if we tried that...

Wait. Stealing the top of a hive is okay, but a titan isn't?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

LowellDND posted:

Both.

Major offensive. Alpha has been conquered, so all troops from there, and all reserve forces in orbit, are being dropped on Gamma.

Bloody 'ell. I don't know if this is the best or worst time to try to sneak into Gamma. And I'm gonna be pissed if it turns out we're collecting the Magos' sandwich or summat.

From what we can make out of the chatter, does it sound like the offensive is going well or badly?

Also Plan LCT, but with tact.

Edit:

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Wait. Stealing the top of a hive is okay, but a titan isn't?

Hive nobles don't have hundred-foot war machines with which to make their displeasure known.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

GhostStalker posted:

Well obviously you steal the Princeps and his crew

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B+LCT

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Tomn posted:

Bloody 'ell. I don't know if this is the best or worst time to try to sneak into Gamma. And I'm gonna be pissed if it turns out we're collecting the Magos' sandwich or summat.

From what we can make out of the chatter, does it sound like the offensive is going well or badly?

Its going. They lost about ten million troops advancing to the outer suburbs, which allowed the air drop en masse to occur. (Had to clear air fields, artillery nests etc). You are seeing about sixty million IG falling from the sky, and all the 'nids in the Hive coming out to meet them.

And do you think just any planet can make a good rueben? :colbert:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Its going. They lost about ten million troops advancing to the outer suburbs, which allowed the air drop en masse to occur. (Had to clear air fields, artillery nests etc). You are seeing about sixty million IG falling from the sky, and all the 'nids in the Hive coming out to meet them.

And do you think just any planet can make a good rueben? :colbert:

Ah, another lovely day in the service of the God-Emperor.

Can we tell at all how things are going along our likely approach vectors if we try to go underground?

And if it turns out we're getting a rueben for the Magos preemptively voting to use jarate on it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Ah, another lovely day in the service of the God-Emperor.

Can we tell at all how things are going along our likely approach vectors if we try to go underground?

And if it turns out we're getting a rueben for the Magos preemptively voting to use jarate on it.

You'll have to go pretty deep. 500 meters up and down from ground level is war.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LowellDND posted:

You'll have to go pretty deep. 500 meters up and down from ground level is war.
Um excuse me but I'm pretty sure that in the grim, dark future there is only war, and through the transitive property it must be war elsewhere as well as 500 meters up and down.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm a Coward OK? A big Craven Coward.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm a Coward OK? A big Craven Coward.

You sully the name of the Omnissiah with your pitiful animal mewling. The machine knows no fear.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B This isn't even our first time doing something this stupid, it's just on a slightly bigger scale.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

By the by, if we see anything useful that isn't being used that we can grab without slowing down, we should totally do so. You never know what might come in handy, and an active battlefield sounds like it'll be full of loot!

Also, I was just looking over our equipment list, and a question struck me. When we grabbed the idiot Last Heir, did he have any more ammo for the Gargant Slayer on him? That'd be drat nice to have about now.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

By the by, if we see anything useful that isn't being used that we can grab without slowing down, we should totally do so. You never know what might come in handy, and an active battlefield sounds like it'll be full of loot!

Also, I was just looking over our equipment list, and a question struck me. When we grabbed the idiot Last Heir, did he have any more ammo for the Gargant Slayer on him? That'd be drat nice to have about now.

Sure, why not. Ten rounds, adjusted for local conditions

They Will Not Miss.

A
B x x x x x, x x x x x, x
C x x
D
E

Plan "stupid but on a slightly bigger scale' is overwhelmingly ahead. Im in class for another hour, but Ill prolly start sketching.

Loel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Sure, why not. Ten rounds, adjusted for local conditions

They Will Not Miss.

A DM glibly giving away weapons of incredible power and rarity?

Well, I'm suddenly terrified.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

A DM glibly giving away weapons of incredible power and rarity?

Well, I'm suddenly terrified.

There are fusion bombs and biotitans about 10 kilometers from you. What is a rifle going to do? :D

edit: Realtalk, we're transitioning into Rogue Trader. Unique and Best weapons are a prerequisite ;)

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
B

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How hosed would the IG be now had we nicked the fusion bombs, or used them to steal the top of the other hive?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

How hosed would the IG be now had we nicked the fusion bombs, or used them to steal the top of the other hive?

Pretttty hosed. They are using them to punch lines in the 'nid lines, so if they lost them they'd need to do it with human waves.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

There are fusion bombs and biotitans about 10 kilometers from you. What is a rifle going to do? :D

Slay a Gargant?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Slay a Gargant?

No Gargants on this world :v:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
so if each bullet has a Machine Spirit, that means we can totally interface with them and BE the bullet

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

so if each bullet has a Machine Spirit, that means we can totally interface with them and BE the bullet

The Stryxis machinery might break on impact, but yes.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

No Gargants on this world :v:

I'm sure a bio-titan is a close enough equivalent. :v:

...actually, that opened up a few lines of questioning, not all of them related.

Could we hypothetically use the Gargant-Slayer at this range to pop a hole in a bio-titan somewhere important enough to kill or cripple it?

Someone mentioned earlier that big Tyrannids form synapses that help guide the rest of the Tyrannids around. What effect would knocking out one of the bio-titans have on the battle?

Related to the above, if we knocked out one of the Big 'Nids near where we intend to start going underground, is that likely to make our approach easier?

Also, if the 'Nids are fielding bio-titans, what exactly has happened to the people inside Gamma by now? Are there any left to save? And what's the plan for recovery here, kill all the 'Nids, import new workers from another Hive or something to make up the loss, and get the factories up and running again?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

I'm sure a bio-titan is a close enough equivalent. :v:

...actually, that opened up a few lines of questioning, not all of them related.

Could we hypothetically use the Gargant-Slayer at this range to pop a hole in a bio-titan somewhere important enough to kill or cripple it?

Someone mentioned earlier that big Tyrannids form synapses that help guide the rest of the Tyrannids around. What effect would knocking out one of the bio-titans have on the battle?

Also, if the 'Nids are fielding bio-titans, what exactly has happened to the people inside Gamma by now? Are there any left to save? And what's the plan for recovery here, kill all the 'Nids, import new workers from another Hive or something to make up the loss, and get the factories up and running again?

Maybe. Biotitans are thick bastards, so having some better knowledge of their innards would help.

Losing a biotitan would be Dramatic. Probably everything in two kilometers would be turned into dog level intelligence until they could shift it to their Hive Tyrants.

Gamma started with 3 billion people, so they can't all have turned into 'nids :)

and yeah, optimistically, thats the plan. Big goal is, factories back up at 100% in five years, and begin supporting the bigger war.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

So...

...anyone feel like making a medicae roll to try and spot a weakness in the bio-titan nearest where we want to go in, interfacing with the machine-spirit of the bullet to guide its aim better, and handing the Gargant-Slayer over to our best shooter to see if we can simultaneously become a war hero while making our approach much easier by expending little more than one of the ten amazingly rare and irreplaceable superbullets we have?

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013

Tomn posted:

So...

...anyone feel like making a medicae roll to try and spot a weakness in the bio-titan nearest where we want to go in, interfacing with the machine-spirit of the bullet to guide its aim better, and handing the Gargant-Slayer over to our best shooter to see if we can simultaneously become a war hero while making our approach much easier by expending little more than one of the ten amazingly rare and irreplaceable superbullets we have?

Only if we ride in on a titan.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The problem is, the dramatic shot shouldn't really work. I can imagine a Gargant going down because it's a product of Ork engineering, and therefore prone to blowing up by design. But a biotitan? We might be able to shoot it somewhere it'll hurt a lot more than usual, but it takes the combined firepower of several skyscraper sized robots, or a starship to kill one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I imagine that the thing is simply much much too big to be taken down by a regular bullet, even if that bullet is steered to a weak point.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Oasx posted:

I imagine that the thing is simply much much too big to be taken down by a regular bullet, even if that bullet is steered to a weak point.

But what if the weak point is glowing?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
It's not like our Magos is a biology fiend and can send us everything we need to know about Bio-Titans on the fly through the sacred rites of the azure fang.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You know, the guard is doing the fight against Tyranids properly. Tyranids have a major advantage in wars of attrition since they can simply reclaim the dead, both theirs and yours. When you see the nids openly out to kill you, you hit them hard with everything you have, regardless of casualties, and exterminate them (or die trying).

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

It's not like our Magos is a biology fiend and can send us everything we need to know about Bio-Titans on the fly through the sacred rites of the azure fang.

Oooh.

Lowell, would it be possible to get in contact with our Magos from where we are?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

my dad posted:

You know, the guard is doing the fight against Tyranids properly. Tyranids have a major advantage in wars of attrition since they can simply reclaim the dead, both theirs and yours. When you see the nids openly out to kill you, you hit them hard with everything you have, regardless of casualties, and exterminate them (or die trying).
Standard IG squad tactics for advancing are "squad one tosses grenades, squad two lays down covering fire, squad three moves up and secures a position. Inch everyone forward to new position. Repeat as necessary."

Seems they're basically doing this with the full army, except replace the "toss grenade" part with "drop nukes".

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Oooh.

Lowell, would it be possible to get in contact with our Magos from where we are?

Yup! I actually was making notes just now of what he was going to send you :D

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B, Also get that bio titan data and send the location of the turkeys in.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

LowellDND posted:

Yup! I actually was making notes just now of what he was going to send you :D

Well then, by all means, talk to the magos

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outline done I think. Will start shortly.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You didn't address my concerns with our armaments. If all we have are piddly chemical-powered slugthrowers it's no wonder it took so many to take down a Lictor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You didn't address my concerns with our armaments. If all we have are piddly chemical-powered slugthrowers it's no wonder it took so many to take down a Lictor.

Pretty sure the Kreig has Las weapons, if not Hotshot las weapons.