Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Dislike button posted:

Not to derail but what's wrong with them? Search only turns up something about VAG tuners determining paper filters were better for their sick hellaflush whips with rusted hoods.
What do you mean? K&N make paper filters too. e: Brain fart, I thought some panel filters and the old 48mmIDA weber carb filter/and frame that I used to have were available in paper too (I just never remembered oiling them) .

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Lots of people over or under oil them, which causes issues. Lots of claims that their filtration isn't as good as a typical paper filter.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
My dad uses K&N oil filters for his truck because they have a thing on the end for a normal wrench and the location is a fucker for anything else.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah nothing particularly wrong with them unless you dump way too much oil into it and foul up the maf sensor. I prefer the AEM dry filters, and they are the same company now anyway.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Someone in the UK got suspicious about the amount of fuel remaining in his ST after having it serviced at a Ford dealer, so fitted a dashcam and took it back for some other 'work'. And discovered the technicians took it out and got it up to 118 mph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWz0YFL1tMI

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

drgitlin posted:

Someone in the UK got suspicious about the amount of fuel remaining in his ST after having it serviced at a Ford dealer, so fitted a dashcam and took it back for some other 'work'. And discovered the technicians took it out and got it up to 118 mph:

How do these monkeys not notice the dashcam? From the video it was right up there by the mirror.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Locator posted:

How do these monkeys not notice the dashcam? From the video it was right up there by the mirror.

If you're stupid enough that you're going to take a customer's car out and run it up to 118, your'e stupid enough to miss the obvious dashcam.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol. When I worked at a Mazda dealer some of the lifers there told me about when the FD first came out and how a bunch of them got wrapped around poles/trees by techs. Way to lose your jobs, fucktards.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godholio posted:

Lots of people over or under oil them, which causes issues. Lots of claims that their filtration isn't as good as a typical paper filter.

Pretty much this. Plus they're damaged a bit easier than a paper filter, simply because they're exposed. The PO of stepdad's F-150 never used one of the brackets, and the filter has been rubbing against something for years - it has a ~3" hole in it. He swears up and down it's fine, but the oil consumption would beg to differ. Only 120k, and it's blowing a bit of smoke here and there.

I do love the growl you get from a nice intake, but I also like having to replace the paper air filter maybe every year and a half for about :10bux: instead of constantly worrying about how clean the filter is.

The Locator posted:

Could have been mounted behind the mirror with the display turned off? I have mine mounted to the mirror itself, and the display shuts off after 3 minutes. I can just barely see the bottom edge of it while driving.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mr.belowaverage posted:

I have done literally this exact thing, back when I worked at a Jiffy Lube, and honest to god it's because I thought one guy was a different guy. When you have 80 customers a day, their faces are all the same.

Well, it's kind of hard to mix up two Honda Accords when there's only one Honda of any kind in the service bays. Even called out my license plate number. :v:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Never mind the fact that Honda transmissions are finicky enough without having to worry about a poorly-done transmission flush knocking something loose and loving you over royally. The automatics on the 9x Accords pretty much gently caress up at 120-140k like clockwork, and they're almost always total replacement jobs because Honda saw fit to build a transmission that can't be adequately serviced/cleaned/maintained without pretty much taking the whole loving thing out and apart.

They're finicky as poo poo about the fluid you use, but aside from the 98-04 V6 autos, they're generally pretty durable.

Plus the whole "dude, it's a manual, there is no dipstick" on the car part. :haw:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
A coworker just replaced his beloved 15 year old Civic (someone hit him) with a Mini. I know how insanely bulletproof Civics from that era were so I'm guessing his Mini is going to drive him nuts.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

drgitlin posted:

Someone in the UK got suspicious about the amount of fuel remaining in his ST after having it serviced at a Ford dealer, so fitted a dashcam and took it back for some other 'work'. And discovered the technicians took it out and got it up to 118 mph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWz0YFL1tMI

I should know better than to read the comments on youtube videos...But I love the people saying (paraphrased) "I don't get what the problem is. The guy didn't crash it so why is this an issue? I didn't see him hit the rev limiter or do any hard takeoffs."

You'd better believe that I'd be pissed if this were me. I don't care if they didn't do any burnouts or hit the rev limiter...a tech doing 120mph on a test drive in my car is going to piss me right the gently caress off.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I should know better than to read the comments on youtube videos...But I love the people saying (paraphrased) "I don't get what the problem is. The guy didn't crash it so why is this an issue? I didn't see him hit the rev limiter or do any hard takeoffs."

You'd better believe that I'd be pissed if this were me. I don't care if they didn't do any burnouts or hit the rev limiter...a tech doing 120mph on a test drive in my car is going to piss me right the gently caress off.

I think that it's the tech's responsibility to ensure the car runs properly under all operating conditions, what if that new bearing starts wobbling at 117MPH?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

I think that it's the tech's responsibility to ensure the car runs properly under all operating conditions, what if that new bearing starts wobbling at 117MPH?

What, while fleeing from police?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

drgitlin posted:

What's the penalty for driving like that in the UK?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

blk posted:

Normally over 100mph = ban in the UK

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

You're given a white van. Or a warrant card.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Half the comments at the Pistonheads thread were the same.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Any decent car is going to need to be tested up to 120 just to see if 6th gear is functional.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

What, while fleeing from police?

Perhaps one of my family members has been kidnapped by foreign sex traffickers, and I need to chase them down.

Or I'm unjustly accused of a crime, and my only chance to prove my innocence is to flee from police before the people who framed me can destroy the evidence clearing my name.

If I'm pressure testing a fluid system, I do so up to the maximum pressure that the system was designed for (or slightly higher) even if the system is unlikely to ever reach that pressure, because that's the only way to certify that it will work under any foreseen, or unforeseen circumstance. This brave automobile technician is providing that same service, by testing out 100% of the car's capability, not just 50%ish like most lazy auto-mechanics, hopefully while also testing the stereo at maximum volume, the handbrake functions properly during emergency turns, and ensuring that the rev-limiter works as advertised while shifting gears, anything else just seems half-assed to me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

blk posted:

You get the choice of driving an Austin Allegro or Morris Marina for the period of your punishment

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

warcake posted:

Normally over 100mph = ban in the UK

Dangerous driving charge, indictable, quite possibly off to federal pound you in the rear end prison if there was any other traffic within sight.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Friend of mine was charged £8.40 on a service for his Volkswagen to refill the screenwash bottle.

Apart from the excessive cost, he was doubly-pissed because he had filled it up the night before to make sure he wouldn't get charged.

That was 15 years ago and I have always remembered that whenever I have driven past a VW dealer.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

Any decent car is going to need to be tested up to 120 just to see if 6th gear is functional.

What the hell kind of gearing must a car have such that you need to be going 120mph until you can shift into sixth without lugging it :stare:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

spog posted:

Friend of mine was charged £8.40 on a service for his Volkswagen to refill the screenwash bottle.

Apart from the excessive cost, he was doubly-pissed because he had filled it up the night before to make sure he wouldn't get charged.

That was 15 years ago and I have always remembered that whenever I have driven past a VW dealer.

I don't know if service departments get pressure from above to wring every last dollar out of us, but that seems like the only viable explanation.

They could probably generate a lot of loyalty if they weren't seemingly built to gently caress every last one of us over.

I mentioned it already, but charging 60$ for an air filter change is insanity. If they even pretended to be doing things on the up-and-up I'd be willing to bet most people would be willing to have their vehicle serviced there.

I just don't get the upside for them to screw people over so often. Are there enough suckers to build their entire business model around it?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

spog posted:

"But the washer tank must be filled at the dealer! You see, if you use the incorrect fluid, you'll damage the level sender and have a warning light on the dash until it is replaced!"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6928744-Rainx-de-icer-killing-washer-fluid-sensors

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

poo poo like labor for air filters and filling wash bottles should be customary to show appreciation. Like when I bartend, if you have a decent tab going I throw in a couple free drinks on the house, or if you're a regular you get a free beer now and then. It's nice to show some loving appreciation but dealerships are the opposite and TRY to make you feel like you're a sucker or get you mad enough to want to kill somebody. A little appreciation would go a long way, but they're all too stupid and busy nickle and diming everyone to figure it out.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

leica posted:

poo poo like labor for air filters and filling wash bottles should be customary to show appreciation. Like when I bartend, if you have a decent tab going I throw in a couple free drinks on the house, or if you're a regular you get a free beer now and then. It's nice to show some loving appreciation but dealerships are the opposite and TRY to make you feel like you're a sucker or get you mad enough to want to kill somebody. A little appreciation would go a long way, but they're all too stupid and busy nickle and diming everyone to figure it out.

The BMW dealership in Virginia Beach does this. Every time my friend drops either of his cars off , they air the tires up to his preferences, fill the washer fluid, and vacuum the thing out. Free of charge. He bought a 325xi from them new, traded it for a 535i, and has had every scrap of service on them done there. His wife's car came from Carmax, but it gets its service at that BMW dealership, too.

He says the price is reasonable, but his calibration of "reasonable price" is off to most people.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NoWake posted:

"But the washer tank must be filled at the dealer! You see, if you use the incorrect fluid, you'll damage the level sender and have a warning light on the dash until it is replaced!"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6928744-Rainx-de-icer-killing-washer-fluid-sensors
That's nothing, my local VW dealer has a poster advertising that not buying genuine VW washer fluid could give you Legionnaires' disease.

No, really.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
At the shop I worked at, we checked and topped off the coolant (it was a Rover/Jag shop :v:), tire pressure, washer fluid, and 9/10 times if they were in for a major service we would wash their car and detail the interior as well, all free of charge. Every car also got every light checked before it left the shop, and if any were burned out we replaced them for free as well. And this was at a tiny two bay, three man shop.

The poo poo that dealerships charge for and the amount they charge for it is completely disgusting.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

LeeMajors posted:

I just don't get the upside for them to screw people over so often. Are there enough suckers to build their entire business model around it?

Pretty much this. Most people have no idea how cars work or how much it should cost to do things, so the dealer can tell them whatever they want. They also thing the dealership is the only place they can have their car worked on.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jamal posted:

Pretty much this. Most people have no idea how cars work or how much it should cost to do things, so the dealer can tell them whatever they want. They also thing the dealership is the only place they can have their car worked on.

That, in addition to the flawed reasoning that the dealer actually knows their cars because they're associated with whatever brand, and the ads you see and hear that use scare tactics to convince you only to use :siren: genuine *manufacturer* parts and service :siren: lest you end up dying in a fiery explosion of poor imitation parts and service. Add in the idea that higher cost = better and the vast majority of people do get suckered in, unfortunately.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

jamal posted:

It's kind of hosed up. It's hard enough to find a trust-worthy shop that does good work, that you'd think the dealer would at least do good (if expensive) work.

Instead they push unnecessary services on you and put you in a high-pressure sales situation, do poor work, and charge incredible amounts for menial tasks.

Both of the Toyota's in my city give a 'COMPLIMENTARY WASH AND VACUUM :haw:,' but it's never actually been done. Shows up on the paperwork though. What's the point?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CornHolio posted:

What the hell kind of gearing must a car have such that you need to be going 120mph until you can shift into sixth without lugging it :stare:

Its not quite the same but the 6 speed auto in the new 200 series landcruiser behind the V8 Diesel was copping a LOT of flack because it would BARELY drop into 6th gear at 110kph and even the faintest whiff of a hill or the right foot would make it drop back a cog instantly.

you needed to be doing about 140kph for it to actually STAY in 6th without hunting gears and toyota actually changed the programing to make it stay in 6th more.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

spog posted:

Because truck drivers can't change their own headlight bulbs, they call our breakdown service out which can end up costing over £200 to change one bulb.

I think our "genuine" washer fluid is about £6 a bottle, and if you get charged 0.1 hours to top it up at £100 an hour it gets stupid really quickly.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

warcake posted:

Because truck drivers can't change their own headlight bulbs, they call our breakdown service out which can end up costing over £200 to change one bulb.

I think our "genuine" washer fluid is about £6 a bottle, and if you get charged 0.1 hours to top it up at £100 an hour it gets stupid really quickly.

Not our fault you changed to those fancy projectors with magic crap!

Also here in the states the CSA points to driving with a headlight out it's 18 points.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Not our fault you changed to those fancy projectors with magic crap!

Also here in the states the CSA points to driving with a headlight out it's 18 points.
the LED headlights in my Cascadia have to be changed at a Freightliner dealer at over $150 a pop. They don't change the bulbs, they replace the entire housing. These fucker better last 500k miles.

For comparison, the Volvo truck I was in would lose headlights all the time, but it was a $15 part that I could do myself.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
$150 for the whole housing is pretty good. The generic 7" headlights that fit a Wranger or Harley run more than that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

poo poo, the Jiffy Lube I used to go to when I didn't feel like changing the oil in my Mustang in a foot of snow used to top up the wiper fluid and coolant, vacuum out the rugs, and give me a coupon for a free wash at the attached car wash, even with the $21.99 cheapass special. They did tell me that my battery "didn't have enough amps left" one time though, and that battery (barely) lasted an entire 'nother year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Godholio posted:

$150 for the whole housing is pretty good. The generic 7" headlights that fit a Wranger or Harley run more than that.

What kind of loving fancy-rear end sealed beams are you seeing for $150?! You can get H4 conversion housings for less than that.

• Locked thread