Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

raditts posted:

Cypress Hill still exists?

...Cypress Hill has existed sometime in the last 15 years?

Yeah. Amazingly, they're actually still together and putting out albums. I was kind of surprised too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Saw it. This film is hilarious. Much better than I thought it would be.

I loved how they used "Conquest" during the parts with Sexy Korean Military Lady.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
This was better than either Jump Street, but worse than Pineapple Express.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

sassassin posted:

This was better than either Jump Street, but worse than Pineapple Express.

No, it was worse than either Jump Street, but better than Pineapple Express!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It was better than none of those movies, but was still pretty drat good.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

This discussion is pointless without actual graphs that show where this movie lands on the Retarded Comedy spectrum

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

21 Jump Street was way better than it had any right to be.

Pineapple Express is still their best movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The Jump Street films are works of goddamned art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15OzmROxCYk
Dave Franco's pure outrage at "I need to grab a handful of that dick" is amazing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

MorgaineDax posted:

How is this a real opinion a person has.

K. Waste posted:

This is the only correct opinion.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I finally watched this and I was disappointed. I didn't like it. I really wanted to, and had been looking forward to it, but it just fell flat for me. The last 20 minutes were pretty great, though. I wish I'd liked it more.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
This movie surprisingly shows a lot of restraint for what I was expecting.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I liked it. Pretty funny moments, with some very dark humor and gore.

That said, did anyone else thought during the last half-hour "Man this is starting to get ridiculous!"

And then it hit me. The moment that Franco and Rogen enter North Korea, that's where that world's objective truths end, and it's all a beautiful, fictional ride.

A bit of spoilers: remember when Franco's character said they would publish a book at the end of it all, and then they do exactly that? Many of the ridiculous stuff can be explained if that's what they put in the book to make it sell more.

Like "We hosed up the poison thing, but got a replacement via drone. Unfortunately, my friend had to face a tiger alone, and then hid the container in his rear end". Or Rogen hooking up with the NK military woman. Or Kim just casually holding that dinner just around the corner from the fake store. Or how he was trying so hard to manipulate Franco, that he even gave him a puppy. And everything about the final sequence, especially the bit about the special forces team.

What we end up watching is as much propaganda and manipulation as what Kim does. "The plucky american heroes end up killing the evil dictator and saving the world!"

I expect that more people will see that this movie has more depth that it seems at first glance.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Kal-L posted:

What we end up watching is as much propaganda and manipulation as what Kim does. "The plucky american heroes end up killing the evil dictator and saving the world!"

I expect that more people will see that this movie has more depth that it seems at first glance.

I think this is a sound reading and that the film isn't particularly subtle about it. Even with Team America, which very explicitly satirizes U.S. blockbuster action films, it ultimately concludes that the artifice and cartoonish jingoism of American culture is necessary in order to foster the patriotism necessary to combat incontrovertible evil. Goldberg and Rogen essentially stage the same exact movie but from the point of view of F.A.G. in the form of Franco's character, and similarly directly compare U.S. celebrity culture to a despotic, necrocratic regime that uses myths and artifice to distract citizens from the failure of the state to 'feed the people.' Furthermore, F.A.G. is actually in the necessary service of the military industrial complex rather than working in ideological opposition to it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MorgaineDax posted:

I genuinely do not get the hype about the Jump Street movies. They are entirely unremarkable, passably entertaining comedies that I pretty much forgot about as soon as they were over. They are constantly singled out for praise and I don't know why.

I watched Pineapple Express again last night and it's still amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sassassin posted:

I genuinely do not get the hype about the Jump Street movies. They are entirely unremarkable, passably entertaining comedies that I pretty much forgot about as soon as they were over. They are constantly singled out for praise and I don't know why.

Because they are funny? And also fantastic commentary on the Hollywood film culture. I mean, if it's not for you, then it's not for you. Comedy is way too subjective to get frustrated at when the jokes don't work for you. It's not a bad thing. It's just a thing.

And I'm super down with that reading where the film is propaganda. That makes it funnier to me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

I watched Pineapple Express again last night and it's still amazing.

I thought both Jump Street movies were way better than Pineapple Express, which seemed completely unremarkable and boring :colbert:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

sassassin posted:

They're singled out for praise because they're remarkable. Most contemporary comedies don't even function that well as comedies because they're ultimately grounded in boring conventional drama. You see this no matter how 'wacky' or clearly unperturbed by notions of realism the film is. The filmmakers basically stage banal, unsubtle dramatic beats and shoehorn jokes into them. There's no particular eye or ear for how you uniquely present a narrative or characters in comedic terms.

This is something that Phil Lord and Chris Miller absolutely "get." It's not just that 21 Jump Street is funnier than it has any right to be. It's that it's so funny that it makes everything else look like poo poo by comparison, because it points up the fact that everything else is basically just a bad drama with jokes in it, and 21 Jump Street is actually a comedy. It's not just that it's better than it has any right to be. It's that Phil Lord and Chris Miller are this generation's Zucker Bros., and 21 Jump Street is their Naked Gun.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought both Jump Street movies were way better than Pineapple Express, which seemed completely unremarkable and boring :colbert:

Both Jump Street movies were loving art to watch while drunk.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I loving love 21 Jump Street, 22 Jump Street, This is the End, and The Interview. I didn't think Pineapple Express was very funny.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pineapple Express is the greatest stoner comedy of all time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Pineapple Express was kind of weird. It had all the elements of both a violent crime film and a dopey stoner comedy. It worked pretty well.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
WikiLeaks has published all the emails/documents in a searchable database. The shitshow just got started again.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/press/

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i just randomly typed in Refn on there and its hilarious how they talk about his rep and how pretentious he his.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

WikiLeaks has published all the emails/documents in a searchable database. The shitshow just got started again.

quote:

The connections and alignments between Sony Pictures Entertainment and the US Democratic Party are detailed through the archives, including SPE's CEO Lynton attending dinner with President Obama at Martha's Vineyard and Sony employees being part of fundraising dinners for the Democratic Party. There are emails setting up a collective within the corporation to get around the 5,000 USD limit on corporate campaign donations to give 50,000 USD to get the Democratic New York Governor Andrew Cuomo elected.

Lying and cheating is ok as long as it is REALLY important that your guy get elected.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

As a mature and reasonable adult the first thing I searched for was gently caress.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/25732

I was not disappointed.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I didnt know propaganda would be so loving boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

As a mature and reasonable adult the first thing I searched for was gently caress.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/25732

I was not disappointed.

This is truly amazing.

quote:

The PITBULL NINJA suddenly stops running and growls at...
A hot fashion shoot happening in the grimy downtown streets of JHB.
A trendy photographer is taking photos of two tall leggy MODELS with big boobs.
Both girls are wearing latex CAT MASKS, latex bikinis, and high-heels.
The one CAT GIRL is body-painted snow white with a shiny white latex cat mask, white bikini and white hi-heel pumps.
The other CAT GIRL is body-painted pitch black with a shiny black latex cat mask, black bikini and black hi-heel pumps.

quote:

ps: pleeeeez keep all this poo poo psycho secret!!!!
pppps: so fukn cool dat dis ZEF tv poo poo is all fkn happening!!!!

• Locked thread