Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
For the price of a $2k xenon you could buy a dedicated streaming box with capture card and highest end i7 though. Is being able to game and stream on the same box that much of a perk?

gently caress for the cost of some of the higher end xenons you could buy some insane hardware x264 encoder used by big events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Depending on how much processing power encoding is necessary to encode on the CPU, going with a six core Haswell isn't that expensive, netting you two cores over a quad core, which you could dedicate to encoding.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Can anyone explain why twitch streamers keep buying Xenon CPUs

Well it certainly isn't a noble endeavor. :science:

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

If your talking like an i7 4770 vs xeon e3-1245 v3 they are the exact same processor with slightly different specs. The i7 has a 100mhz higher boost clock speed. The xeon has a better warranty and rated for 24/7/365 use and can use the intel gpu professional drivers. For streaming with quicksync I'm not sure if this is actually better but it might be.

EDIT: The price of the xeon is also cheaper.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Well it certainly isn't a noble endeavor. :science:

But what if they combine them with AMD Radon graphics cards? :v:

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
If you're streaming and have a Nvidia card it's much better to just use the card to encode, you get almost no performance loss.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah NVIDIA has had hardware encoders on their cards since the 600 series, is there some reason they wouldn't just leverage that? Is NVIDIA's Shadowplay encoder not good at the low bitrates they stream at? Do webcam overlays and all that stuff really use up that much CPU? And yeah at some point why not just HDMI out from the gaming computer into a Blackmagic Intensity or whatever on a second computer that is dedicated just to handle the encoding and streaming?

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
There are no good hardware encoders for low bitrate stuff they all poo poo out garbage quality video at that level, x264 beats the pants off them.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Rime posted:

Unless you bought an i7 920.

:hf: Mine's still going strong. It and a 560Ti seem to do just fine for everything I do.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Fajita Fiesta posted:

There are no good hardware encoders for low bitrate stuff they all poo poo out garbage quality video at that level, x264 beats the pants off them.

x264 at 3500kbps which is the maximum Twitch allows looks almost as terrible as Nvenc if you're streaming at 1080p, but it is less blocky in motion.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Yup, it's this. CPU-done x264 can look quite a bit better in motion than either nvenc or Quicksync. The latter are last-resort options. In my experience 1080p looks awful at any res on Twitch, 720p or less is the only way I've found to get acceptable image quality at any bitrates. (For those with slower uploads, x264 gets better at nvenc and QS the lower you have to go. I max out at 2mbps due to distance-to-Twitch-server issues and trust me, x264 beats the pants off nvenc and QS at that. I don't see the point, though, in upgrading past my 4690k. Not that much of an issue for me.

For ShadowPlay, that's nvenc dumping at 10+mbit to the disk, which it's all fine and good at doing.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Another Skylake leak:

Intel is also launching their SSD 750 series.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Welmu posted:

Another Skylake leak:

Intel is also launching their SSD 750 series.

What does the 4+2, 2+2 indicate?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

What does the 4+2, 2+2 indicate?

I assume it's cores + threads

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

hifi posted:

I assume it's cores + threads

That doesn't really make sense though, unless you reverse it and it's threads + cores, because you'd never have more cores than threads.
Even then wtf is a 95 watt dual core part? There's no way that exists.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Welmu posted:

Another Skylake leak:

Here's the WCCFT post.

Really looking forward to those 128MB GT4e graphics benchmarks. Though I predict Intel will choose not to price those parts competitively.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

That doesn't really make sense though, unless you reverse it and it's threads + cores, because you'd never have more cores than threads.
Even then wtf is a 95 watt dual core part? There's no way that exists.

err sorry, i mean cores and then threads per core

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aghrr August-October? I thought it'd be like June based on the previous info. Oh well at least I'll have to do something outside this summer.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rastor posted:

Really looking forward to those 128MB GT4e graphics benchmarks. Though I predict Intel will choose not to price those parts competitively.
What was the word on these embedded 128MB in case you're not using the IGP? Fourth level cache? Or do they go unused?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

What was the word on these embedded 128MB in case you're not using the IGP? Fourth level cache? Or do they go unused?

You will not be able to buy that CPU on a system where will ever not use the Iris Pro.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
But that said, on Haswell it is indeed L4 cache, and it probably will be on Skylake, as well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Will the first Skylake CPUs include the desktop K units or are those probably going to come sometime next year? If that's the case and Broadwell is cancelled then what the gently caress?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
No announcements yet, just leaked slides and rumors.
I don't even know what Skylake does except that it somehow charges iPhones wirelessly or something.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hifi posted:

err sorry, i mean cores and then threads per core

Nope.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Cores plus GPU slices? I recall the rumors that all the high-end desktop Skylakes have Iris graphics.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LooKMaN posted:

x264 at 3500kbps which is the maximum Twitch allows looks almost as terrible as Nvenc if you're streaming at 1080p, but it is less blocky in motion.

Twitch allows you to stream a lot higher than 3.5 megabits, I've streamed before at 6 megabits CBR and it works fine for people with good connections. You may be thinking of partner / transcoding limits.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

big.LITTLE cores? :ohdear:

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

Rakthar posted:

Twitch allows you to stream a lot higher than 3.5 megabits, I've streamed before at 6 megabits CBR and it works fine for people with good connections. You may be thinking of partner / transcoding limits.

They allow you to but consider it abuse and have said so in the past. They might not cut it off but they probably would if you got too many viewers.

Nobody sane streams above 3.5mbps though as you're cutting out like 90% of your viewership.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Fajita Fiesta posted:

They allow you to but consider it abuse and have said so in the past. They might not cut it off but they probably would if you got too many viewers.

Nobody sane streams above 3.5mbps though as you're cutting out like 90% of your viewership.

Doesn't twitch transcode your stream to lower quality levels on-the-fly, for people who don't have bandwidth/processing power for viewing the source streams?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Only for Twitch partners, not for everyone.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

LooKMaN posted:

Only for Twitch partners, not for everyone.

Huh. I had no idea. My only real experience with twitch has been Desert Bus for Hope and watching A/SDGQ. I just assumed everyone got the same treatment.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
The asus hero maximus VII hero just got a BIOS update:

quote:

MAXIMUS VII HERO BIOS 2304
1.Support 5th-Generation Intel Core Processors
2.Support USB 3.1
3.Support NVMe
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

I looked up USB 3.1 and its pretty fast, up to 10gb/sec

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.1

How is this possible in a BIOS update? Will this mean the USB 3.0 ports on the mobo now support 3.1 devices/speeds? Or even better does it make the 2.0 ports 3.1?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

r0ck0 posted:

How is this possible in a BIOS update? Will this mean the USB 3.0 ports on the mobo now support 3.1 devices/speeds? Or even better does it make the 2.0 ports 3.1?

2.0 and 3.0 have different physical pin layouts, so that's definitely not the case. Dunno about 3.0 vs 3.1 tho, I haven't been paying attention, because I don't really care - even 3.0 is only useful over 2.0 in cases of storage devices where transfer speed matters a great deal, and I don't use any of those, so :shrug:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

It would have to be USB3.1 over a PCIE card or similar, as USB3.1 requires a whole new physical controller which is only just coming out to some MSI and ASRock boards.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Maybe it just means that they can support USB3.1 devices at USB3.0 speeds.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

~Coxy posted:

Maybe it just means that they can support USB3.1 devices at USB3.0 speeds.

Most likely this is the correct answer. Love the release notes.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
If USB 3.1 has a different plug and controller it will take forever for adoption to occur. Everyone remember firewire?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I'm more interested in them now supporting NVMe. Asus don't do ssds yet. And they do just about everything else.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Darkpriest667 posted:

If USB 3.1 has a different plug and controller it will take forever for adoption to occur. Everyone remember firewire?

3.1 supports better power delivery (IIRC up to 100W in any direction) and has embedded DisplayPort. You could power your monitor from your laptop or your laptop from your monitor. It's the way forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Firewire didn't fail because it had a different plug and controller