Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
You mean that star wars band music?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Evar_Orbus_and_His_Galactic_Jizz-Wailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess that's what growing up on the west coast does for you. It was difficult for me to conceive of a metro area that goes beyond a state.

Yeah, once you get to the Missouri River, you run into cities that got started due to being boat/rail junctions because hey those rivers are good for moving poo poo around. Rivers also make great natural state boundaries so now you've got a metro area literally on the state border. West Coast cities grew from the same "poo poo goes between train and boat here" effect but the water part of that equation is usually the ocean rather than a river so you are building those cities in harbors rather than at rail-river crossings.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess that's what growing up on the west coast does for you. It was difficult for me to conceive of a metro area that goes beyond a state.

If it makes you feel better, the inverse happened for me; I used to think of San Francisco and Seattle as 'reasonably close' because it was only two states away and around here I can drive through four states in a couple of hours.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the GOP is already seizing on that judge's ruling to give them cover for not funding DHS. Great.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Seeing how LA, SF, Dallas, Houston, Miami and Atlanta aren't exactly paragons of regional planning, I'd have to agree the premise doesn't really hold.

Imagine how much worse it'd be if LA was half in a SoCal state and half in a NoCal state. When there's political will for regional planning, it occurs with less barriers in areas with single-state government.

For instance, Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston have a great regional partnership for planning around air traffic issues. Now compare to Chicago, where the airports are in one state and the rest of the region doesn't get a say in Chicago's air traffic issues due to a lack of cooperation on funding for other regional transit initiatives.

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, once you get to the Missouri River, you run into cities that got started due to being boat/rail junctions because hey those rivers are good for moving poo poo around. Rivers also make great natural state boundaries so now you've got a metro area literally on the state border. West Coast cities grew from the same "poo poo goes between train and boat here" effect but the water part of that equation is usually the ocean rather than a river so you are building those cities in harbors rather than at rail-river crossings.

Bingo, imagine how much less poo poo St. Louis would be if it worked with East St. Louis/Madison County on regional development issues and adhered to IL standards.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dr Pepper posted:

This... this is just common sense.

Why on earth isn't this the norm everywhere? :psyduck:

In the UK they do this on a country level as well, it's what saved Liverpool in the 70s. Local tax base had collapsed with the economy, and with it infrastructure and a lot of what demand remained - basically the same situation Detroit is in. Over there city funds come in from HMG so it stifled the shortfall and it was able to bounce back. Here we let major cities fall to ruin as some sort of object lesson, except everyone is still properly ashamed that we are letting it happen so we just block out all mention of it in favor of reality television, just like we do our health care system failing the poor, our immigration system, our prison system...

USA! USA! USA!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

In the UK they do this on a country level as well, it's what saved Liverpool in the 70s. Local tax base had collapsed with the economy, and with it infrastructure and a lot of what demand remained - basically the same situation Detroit is in. Over there city funds come in from HMG so it stifled the shortfall and it was able to bounce back. Here we let major cities fall to ruin as some sort of object lesson, except everyone is still properly ashamed that we are letting it happen so we just block out all mention of it in favor of reality television, just like we do our health care system failing the poor, our immigration system, our prison system...

USA! USA! USA!

Well, if a city fails, its because the civic leaders of the city were poo poo and failed to institute proper planning. Fortunately, this growth in density and shift towards knowledge/service econony means that poo poo cities keep getting shittier while great cities like Chicago keep growing from the migration of desirable individuals.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

When does the hollow feeling in my got stop?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rygar201 posted:

When you fill it full of booze.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, if a city fails, its because the civic leaders of the city were poo poo and failed to institute proper planning. Fortunately, this growth in density and shift towards knowledge/service econony means that poo poo cities keep getting shittier while great cities like Chicago keep growing from the migration of desirable individuals.

This was true under Daley, but these days brilliant and handsome young men born and raised in Chicago are fleeing to Indianapolis. I'm living proof.

Hopefully Chuey will pull off a surprise upset next week and the city can get back to its better days

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/14890/whiskey-sour/

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

This and the instructions for sour mix should be in the (every) OP.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

This was true under Daley, but these days brilliant and handsome young men born and raised in Chicago are fleeing to Indianapolis. I'm living proof.

Hopefully Chuey will pull off a surprise upset next week and the city can get back to its better days

You flee to Indy now because you think you'll be driving your car forever and won't need to walk anywhere. I tell you what, hows life in Indy gonna be once the boomers start retiring in force and replacing individuals in the workforce? Its going to be poo poo with higher vehicle-induced mortality rates, thats what its gonna be.

How many young women are fleeing to Indy? How easy is it to acquire all forms of contraceptive care in Indy? Indiana is poo poo on education, poo poo on equal rights, poo poo on women's rights, and poo poo on urban planning. You urban plan for the next generation, you sprawl to appease the current one.

Chuey ain't pulling no upset. We got Rahm, only Rahm, and soon, America will have Rauner.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Didn't someone once list a sour recipe with egg white or something?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rygar201 posted:

Its a Pisco Sour. Peru's favorite cocktail.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I don't know about that, but Rorus Raz has the real recipe from the man himself; ask him nicely and he might post it again

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The added egg white increases texture quality and adds protein for gains.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DemeaninDemon posted:

The added egg white increases texture quality and adds protein for gains.

Anyone who really wants gains knows that alcohol is a wonder compound that will instantly annihilate all muscle mass and then cause your dick to fall off.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good whiskey doesn't need any junk in it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fried Chicken posted:

USA! USA! USA!

All the while having municipalities compete with each other to erode their tax bases by offering developers incentives which specify that the property taxes collected have to be spent only on bettering that single tract of land. Then we bribe some businesses to move in by letting them pocket the city (or even state) taxes they withhold from their employees or sales while not actually forcing them to create the number and quality of jobs they promised.

Followed promptly by flipping the gently caress out about city employees asking for a 2% cost of living raise.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Boston sour:

1 1/2 - 2 shots bourbon
1 shot simple syrup (easiest way is equal measures sugar and water over heat, store in the fridge for up to a month)
.75 shot lemon juice
One egg white, if making in larger quantities I prefer one for every two of the above. I prefer fresher brown eggs, since they're easier to crack in half to sift out the white.

Shake with ice for twenty seconds or so in a metal container.

Enjoy during republican candidate debates or to stem blood pressure while reading any news from the South.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Joementum's gonna be happy, looks like Joe Walsh is making a bid for the Senate.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

RNC Celebrates Black History Month
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mawqE3eGyis

With a hip hop sounding backtrack

Celebrating it 17 days into the month

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 17, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

If you really want to be driven up a wall by something Minnesota does that works well and the rest of the country doesn't, look at their tax credit for political donations set up. It is called the Political Contribution Refund. You make your donation to your candidate of choice, send the receipt to the revenue office, and get your money back immediately. It means people living paycheck to paycheck can still make a contribution as opposed to not being able to spare any cash without dire consequences. As a result, donations of $100 or less make up 45% of political funding in the state. Contrast that with the overall numbers, where the top 0.01% of donors made up 40% of campaign contributions.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Joementum's gonna be happy, looks like Joe Walsh is making a bid for the Senate.

That will be a fun primary to watch

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Anyone who really wants gains knows that alcohol is a wonder compound that will instantly annihilate all muscle mass and then cause your dick to fall off.
I thought that was gluten.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fried Chicken posted:

If you really want to be driven up a wall by something Minnesota does that works well and the rest of the country doesn't, look at their tax credit for political donations set up. It is called the Political Contribution Refund. You make your donation to your candidate of choice, send the receipt to the revenue office, and get your money back immediately. It means people living paycheck to paycheck can still make a contribution as opposed to not being able to spare any cash without dire consequences. As a result, donations of $100 or less make up 45% of political funding in the state. Contrast that with the overall numbers, where the top 0.01% of donors made up 40% of campaign contributions.

I'd :kheldragar: to see him against Duckworth in the general election.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

That is awesome. It's like an end run to provide public funded campaigns.

I thought we saw the end of public funded campaigns with Citizen United.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I mean they straight up had a spill into their drinking water in WV and the lawmakers turned around and pushed for more lax water pollution standards. There was a brief moment there where someone said something about making the drinking water better regulated but the reaction was so strong it got buried.
It's like this: nobody deserves to have poisoned drinking water. But if you continue to vote in lawmakers who openly proclaim their intention to gut health & safety regulations in the name of job growth then you sure as hell don't have anyone else to blame.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BlueBlazer posted:

That is awesome. It's like an end run to provide public funded campaigns.

I thought we saw the end of public funded campaigns with Citizen United.

That was some case out of Arizona that ended public funding, and honestly I'd expect if this caught on you'd see Heritage or AEI find someone to challenge it on the same grounds as that one ("It's destroying my free speech rights to have my tax dollars go to a campaign I don't support!") and probably get it struck down as well on the basis that the Roberts Court is irredeemably corrupt rather than any legal issue.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So when will Chief Justice Robert free Minnesota from this tyranny?

I should have scrolled down the page :eng99:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rangpur posted:

It's like this: nobody deserves to have poisoned drinking water. But if you continue to vote in lawmakers who openly proclaim their intention to gut health & safety regulations in the name of job growth then you sure as hell don't have anyone else to blame.

Of course, even in red states rarely does a majority of eligible voters actually vote for the winner.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Prime Minister Netanyahu is Winston Churchill, warning the world of impending danger. President Obama is Neville Chamberlain." ~ Rep. Robert Pittenger (R-NC)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So that would make Palestinians Hitler?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'm in Orange County for university and I bet that the rich white folks in the beach towns, Coto de Caza and Mission Viejo would raise hell if this happened. Heck, I heard that some streets visibly change in quality when you go from wealthier towns (e.g. Huntington Beach) to more middle and working class ones (Garden Grove).

You aren't wrong at all. Coto is a cabal for Real Housewives and Leanne Cartmans.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

So that would make Palestinians Hitler?

No, they are the Czechs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well then who the gently caress is Hitler in this little morality play?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Obama. Obviously. He is both Chamberlain and Hitler.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

zoux posted:

Islam of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the first Dumb as gently caress thing that we have an American politician saying? Like politicians are saying Dumb as gently caress things seemingly all the time today but was there some Whig going on about "Ye Exifential Threat Pofed by the Moorish Mohhammedman to Our Blesfed Nation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
"We the people..."?

• Locked thread