Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MinibarMatchman posted:

well that's to be expected for a game that's releasing with almost zero information about itself. it's kind of hilarious how companies like Netherrealm or Nintendo will do multiple runthroughs of how poo poo works before a release but other developer will just say gently caress it and give you 3 sparse video and embargo the reviews for good measure.

That's because Netherrealm and Nintendo games actually have cool things to show off. That Gamescom story about The Order vs. Bloodborne's kiosk attendance is amazing. The same thing happened at the GameStop manager conference. The previous year as well with Vita/PS3/PS4 kiosks having almost no wait but there being like a two hour line to walk down a hallway and get killed by the mirror knight in Dark Souls 2. :3:

Sony just had no idea what to do with this game. Like if they just straight up sold it for $29.99 and was like "this is an awesome interactive movie" it would probably be getting a lot more praise now. It was over sold like hell in the initial stages of its marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor Whose posted:

Was Max Payne 3 good? I've come close to buying it a couple of times on Steam but figured it was a bad cash in of the franchise.
It's like the decent version of what this game sounds like. When it stops railroading you into epic badass set pieces and boring-as-hell mostly-unskippable cutscenes, it's a very fun and satisfying shooter. So about half the game. Well worth it on sale just for the awesome gunplay and physics; for example, a dude was running down the stairs of a football stadium to get a clear shot at me, closely followed by his buddy, I shot dude #1's leg, he toppled over, and his buddy tripped over him and landed in a heap at my feet :wow:

And then I had to do a boring 20-minute sniper section followed by a QTE boss fight and a 10-minute cutscene of Max drinking and thinking about how sad he is. So it goes.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

I wish it was revealed that Crash Bandicoot was the werewolf they have to kill at the end. but then I guess this would be a Naughty Dog game and thus actually be a Good Game

Naughty Dog sold the rights of Crash Bandicoot. Naughty Dog no longer makes Crash Bandicoot, thus (as you stated) they no longer make Good Game(s).

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cancelled my pre-order. I wasn't even going to buy it when I saw people with early copies 90% done with the trophies in a matter of hours on psnprofiles.com, but I had gift card money to get rid of. After the 5 hour playthrough etc, gently caress this game.

This isn't the same guy but this is the only trophy he was missing after what was probably an evening of playing the game

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3291-The-Order-1886/Wedge19?trophies=unearned&lang=en-gb#content

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 17, 2015

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

That's because Nintendo games actually have cool things to show off.

Please refrain from using words known to trigger the PS4 owners.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Do all the monsters look like that?

I'm a sucker for werewolves but that guy just looks like a hairy troll :(

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

error1 posted:

Do all the monsters look like that?

I'm a sucker for werewolves but that guy just looks like a hairy troll :(

What you are seeing is a game made exclusively for PS4 owners.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I'm pretty sure having werewolves look uglier and more man-like is just the in-thing to do now.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Sony just had no idea what to do with this game. Like if they just straight up sold it for $29.99 and was like "this is an awesome interactive movie" it would probably be getting a lot more praise now. It was over sold like hell in the initial stages of its marketing.

You would think owning an actual legit movie studio would perhaps give them the idea to just go ahead and make interactive movies and to try making this into a genre/category and sell the game for like $20, but I guess that would take some outside the box thinking. Sony's game studios either seem to be pumping out blockbusters (Naughty Dog, their MLB game) or complete boondoggles that just waste endless money (this, everything involved with The Last Guardian).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

People are stoked as hell about this game being five hours long. So if anyone's curious know now that this Monday you can just go into a GameStop, buy a used one, beat it, and get a full refund in seven days.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol at collectors edition. really? for a game that's been previewed like maybe twice? poo poo even bloodborne and MKX have similar packages but have been demoed extensively. this is gonna be good.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

People are stoked as hell about this game being five hours long. So if anyone's curious know now that this Monday you can just go into a GameStop, buy a used one, beat it, and get a full refund in seven days.

Its nice to see the Order hanging out with games of similar quality. Play nice Order 1886.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Doctor Whose posted:

Was Max Payne 3 good? I've come close to buying it a couple of times on Steam but figured it was a bad cash in of the franchise.

It's the best third person shooter released in a long time (or ever). Some people didn't like the story but I thought it was great, with a really fantastic performance from Max himself. And yeah as far as the physics goes it's still the best version of the Euphoria engine when it comes to blasting people with assorted weaponry.

FILHO DA PUTA

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just realized that this is gamings Mordecai: A pathetic attempt at creating a franchise based on a flimsy premise (In this case, Gears of War in a moustache instead on Johnny Depp in a moustache), that everyone who isn't an executive can see is doomed to fail.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 17, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I just realized that this is gamings Mordecai: A pathetic attempt at creating a franchise based on a flimsy premise (In this case, Gears of War in a moustache instead on Johnny Depp in a moustache), that everyone who isn't an executive can see is doomed to fail.
It's literally Van Helsing in (semi)videogame form

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's literally Van Helsing in (semi)videogame form

The boss fight in Van Helsing (a movie) was better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Van Helsing though, like, I can see how that movie got past the drawing board and got made even if it's poo poo. Also it was only two hours long and cost you $10 at most. ;)

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mash posted:

It's the best third person shooter released in a long time (or ever). Some people didn't like the story but I thought it was great, with a really fantastic performance from Max himself. And yeah as far as the physics goes it's still the best version of the Euphoria engine when it comes to blasting people with assorted weaponry.

FILHO DA PUTA

The only thing wrong with MP3 is you don't get to shoot enough people because the storyline keeps being thrust in your face. But other than that, it's excellent. And you get to shoot a lot of people.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

The Order 1886 is an exclusive title designed for owners of the PS4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Van Helsing was actually extremely cool and good

A better parallel would be The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Sammus posted:

The only thing wrong with MP3 is you don't get to shoot enough people because the storyline keeps being thrust in your face. But other than that, it's excellent. And you get to shoot a lot of people.

Yeah, time-attack / arcade mode would've benefit from less cutscenes / loading times but AFAIK the devs did some dumb poo poo by making the game load every model in each level every time it loads, even if they're repeats? Or something?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Order 1886 is an exclusive title designed for owners of the PS4.

Replace The Order with Gears of War and PS4 with Xbox 360 and this post would've been just as accurate in 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2013.

edit: wow I actually spent the time to look up the Gears release dates only to remember that I'm responding to virtualboyCOLOR

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Please refrain from discussing non-PS4 related games in this PS4 exclusive thread. Please also refrain from discussing multiplayer games.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Please refrain from discussing non-PS4 related games in this PS4 exclusive thread. Please also refrain from discussing multiplayer games.

"hi hello i'm virtualboyCOLOR and i've got literally nothing better to do than post the same thing over and over again because the Wii U is the only next gen system, furthermore i faaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART"

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I think it's ok for games to be relatively short, some might say that Alien: Isolation would have benefited from only being 6 hours long!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol somebody reads vbc posts

i am getting annoyed that wii u has good games!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hace posted:

I think it's ok for games to be relatively short, some might say that Alien: Isolation would have benefited from only being 6 hours long!

Yeah but that's also predicated on the game being good which The Order... well. Laughs out loud.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MinibarMatchman posted:

This has already told me all I need to know, lol. Although can't help but think this thread was biased coming from virtualboycolor aka "everything except the wiiu is garbage, man" but yeah this game looks like it's dead in the water

Well, reviews are embargoed about 99% of the time. The Order's embargo actually expires the day before release so it's more lenient than many.

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol at collectors edition. really? for a game that's been previewed like maybe twice? poo poo even bloodborne and MKX have similar packages but have been demoed extensively.

Of course. It's a big budget PlayStation 4 exclusive and Sony do not have too many of those.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Oh yeah, if your short-rear end game is boring and bad, that's maybe less ok.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

lol somebody reads vbc posts

i am getting annoyed that wii u has good games!

i'm just too proud to put him on ignore

and it's got nothing to do with the Wii U or its games, it's really just his awful low effort trolls in every PS4 thread

anyways the Order doesn't look good, shame on Sony for hyping up what is essentially a glorified proof of concept

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Well, reviews are embargoed about 99% of the time. The Order's embargo actually expires the day before release so it's more lenient than many.

Of course. It's a big budget PlayStation 4 exclusive and Sony do not have too many of those.

What was the last single player exclusive game with a review embargo like this?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Don't click this Gamspot article posted:

However, Ready At Dawn's chief technical officer Andrea Pessino has challenged this assumption. One day after insisting he would not respond to "clickbait rumors about game length," Pessino was asked at a press conference in Milan on the very subject.

Out of respect for PS4 owners, please do not click on any news related to The Order 1886

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I hate clickbait I will not check it out. Thanks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mash posted:

anyways the Order doesn't look good, shame on Sony for hyping up what is essentially a glorified proof of concept

Proof of concept of what, though? A steampunk third-person shooter? It's not like they're doing anything new here, there's no good reason for this coming out as half-assed as it looks.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Neogaf never disappoints.

quote:

Most Blowjobs I get are
80% talking , clearing her throat , wiping spit off her arm
20% sucking

And last only about 10 minutes if I am lucky and it cost me WAY more than a price of a new game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

What was the last big AAA commercial failure we've had? I think we're overdue for another

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What was the last big AAA commercial failure we've had? I think we're overdue for another
New Thief?

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

abagofcheetos posted:

Neogaf never disappoints.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Over the last few years there's probably been more failures than successes in that space which is why there aren't that many anymore.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Idk, I remember someone estimating it sold 1M copies the first week, including digital, and square had a pretty good year in 2014 so it couldn't have tanked that hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm talking total sales collapses, like Brutal Legend or games that straight up sink companies like APB

• Locked thread